Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

alternatives to carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alternatives to carpet?

I've seen a couple chevy trucks with a mat-like material covering their interior instead of carpet.

What I'm looking for is something that is lightweight and would look really clean like how this chevy trucks look. I don't care about insulation too much. Is there anything out there?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Pair of 92 Z28s
Re: alternatives to carpet?

I would think the mat would weigh more then carpet. I went with some carpet from Irace Motorsports and it weighed 3lbs less then the factory stuff(only the front section didnt replace the rear). If you remove all the carpet padding you will remove almost 25lbs. Hope that helps.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Camaro RS--
Engine: 305--
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73--

is it a daily driver or a race car or something?. if its a race car and your jsut looking for protection and things i would just use lizard skin or maybe herculiner or somehting... But if this is in a daily driver that you wnat to look super clean and factory... i woudlnt go that route..
Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stevo- I didn't know that padding weighed that much.

naterman35- I think the car is going to be a weekend cruiser that occasionally gets raced at the track. Why not go with lizard skin or herculiner, the stuff just won't last that long?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Camaro RS--
Engine: 305--
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73--

Are you askign me why not?. or are you saying not to go that route because they dont last long?.. If your asking me why not to use them... i geuss i wouldnt for a DD or anything if your trying to make it look really nice. Just seems to me thatall the bumps or welds or rivets or anythign in the floor would show and it wouldnt look "clean"... It woudl show every detail and i think it would look well taky in a DD/weekend cruiser. But now... In like say a work truck, or a race car... something that isnt a show queen or somehting that you use to impress people with looks. I think it would be a smart route. It would give you loads of pertection, easy to clean, lizard skin is also a sound/insulator...Herculiner you can get a gallon for what..$40 at walmart?... To me it seems like a very good way to go in a work truck/race car... Not your DD. but then again... If you put the time into it... Everything looks nice at some point. so with work i belive it would be something to put in a DD. It seems to be the quality for a nice looking DD it would take more then a weekend and a case of beer to do....
Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Carpet isn't that heavy, and it's going to look a lot more presentable than just about anything else. Harder coatings like Herculiner are going to always look dirty because it doesn't "hide" the dirt like carpet does.

But, molded vinyl is available if that's what you want also. PM me for more information.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

I can tell you right now if you remove all your carpet and padding and go with something like herculiner you are going to hate the noise levels... I tore the carpet up in my Cherokee because of some nasty stains and mildew. Been driving around like that for awhile now, but the road noise is nuts. Granted its a lifted jeep with MT tires... but you will still get tons of noise through the floor. Not to mention that the padding and carpet helps to reject some of the heat as well. You can almost burn your hand on my jeep floor above the cat and muffler.

Just sayin...if you arent going for a full out race car and arent trimming weight all over, you will never notice the weight savings. You WILL notice the noise and heat.

Ide put carpet in...just my opinion though...

Justin