Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Replaced my headliner this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc
Engine: Afr 408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70s
Replaced my headliner this afternoon

And took a few pictures of it. The old one was saggin pretty bad. I bought the full kit (headliner, sail panels, and sunvisors) from JIM85IROC (I think thats his screen name). His advice was to replace everything due to color not matching exatcly. He was right. Those two large rust-looking spots aren't rust, I'm guessing its rotten adhesive or something, I cleaned it off.
I am fairly pleased with the new headliner and sunvisors, they fit really well, the finish was great. However, I'm not thrilled with the sail panels. Mostly the way they are attached. The stock ones have 4 "hooks" to hold them to the plastic. A couple of velcro strips are supplied to do the same. They do an alright job, but I guess I would have liked similar "hooks". Other than that pleased with the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced my headliner this afternoon-headliner-before.jpg   Replaced my headliner this afternoon-no-headliner.jpg   Replaced my headliner this afternoon-headliner-after.jpg  
Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Re: Replaced my headliner this afternoon

Here are a few color comparison photos I took. The new stuff seems to be a slightly lighter shade of the medium dark gray I ordered.

1st pic is the sail panels, Old one is on the left, New is on the right.

2nd pic is comparing the seat color(back), to the original(middle), and the new (foreground). All seem to be differently from each other.

3rd pic is the sunvisors, left is the old, new is the right.

Now, I have to go get some more clips because I broke most of the them taking off the plastic panels around the door. They were so brittle that I could snap them with hands. I guess thats what you get with a 20 year old car.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced my headliner this afternoon-sail-panel-old-new.jpg   Replaced my headliner this afternoon-seat-old-new.jpg   Replaced my headliner this afternoon-sunvisor-old-new.jpg  
Old 04-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

Looks very good. About how long does it take for it to dry?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: LG4

That looks really good. I've forgotten what my car is like with a headliner, it's been removed for such a long time.

I guess it's less noticeable in a t-top car, anyway.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:13 PM

Car: 89 formula, 89 Cadillac Brougham
Engine: 355,HSR,patriot alum. heads,TFS cam
Transmission: 700r4, 2500 B&M stall, shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.73 ten bolt, powertrax locker

geez i need to fix my headliner...looks great
Old 04-14-2007, 10:14 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 373 Limited Slip

Looks great, I had to do mine last year. I have the t-tops, it was a bit harder trying to get the holes cut the same. I bought the one from Classic Industries that is made with the ABS Plastic. As with yours, the blacks are a shade off from each other, but it looks better than the old falling one.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

How did yours work out with the aftermarket plastic backboard? Does it look any different than the original style headliners being that it is made out of plastic? I hear that they are much better than the originals because once wet, the original style headliners held in the mosture and became brittle.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Car: 2013 Challenger RT
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3:92

Originally Posted by 85Iroc-Z
How did yours work out with the aftermarket plastic backboard? Does it look any different than the original style headliners being that it is made out of plastic? I hear that they are much better than the originals because once wet, the original style headliners held in the mosture and became brittle.
I have a T-Top car and I got the plastic headliner from Classic. I didn't buy the covering for it because I am changing the interior color from gray to black and have to paint all the plastic interior pieces, and I didn't feel like messing with installing any fabric on it that over time would just come off anyway.

It came folded in half from front to back and took a long time for it to flatten out, like six months sitting on top of the car in storage. But it was cold out and if I had set it in the hot sun for the day it might have flattened right out.

It has the same texture on it as all the other plastic interior pieces in the car so once it is painted black it will fit right in. Plus it will be unaffected by any T-Top leaks that may happen over time.

I am very pleased with the quality of the piece and the texture on the finished side.

Last edited by my3rdgen; 04-15-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add sig
Old 04-15-2007, 07:05 PM

Another reason I'm a little skeptical of getting an aftermarket headliner...

I have the roof console, and none of the aftermarket headliners that I saw take that into account..and I wouldn't really want to cut into a brand new headliner to try to fit the console.

If anyone has the console and got a headliner, let me know how it worked out.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro Rs
Engine: 3.1 V6 (for now)

Was it simple to install?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt w/3.27 lim. slip

Who makes the aftermaket ones? Mines bad and needs to be replaced or recovered by a pro.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Thomas,
Your installation looks great! If you're not happy with the sail panel fitment, you do have an option of getting some bulk headliner material and recovering your original pieces. I did this in my IROC so that I could compare the two options, and I agree that the aftermarket pieces could fit better. Send me an email or a PM and I'll take care of you.

Thedude,
I have an overhead console in my IROC and I installed the headliner. I have a tech article on iroczone.com that gives you the step-by step proecedure (it's easy) for installing the console. Unfortunately, IZ is down right now, but we're hoping to have that fixed very soon.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 AM

85Iroc-Z - The plastic backer board is sooo much better than the stock cardboard/hardfoam its not even funny. The original backer was so dried out that it was practically crumbling apart. I don't know if moisture was my problem or what, but plastic is the way to go.

BabyBlueCamaro - It was fairly straight forward. Removed the dash, remove the panels around the door, remove sail panels, remove the top panel across the back. I took the screws out that were holding the two larger panels next to the sail panels to allow me to pull them out of the way slightly. Remove sunvisors, remove dome light, and seat belt clips, and slide belts out.

The only thing I would suggest is be real carefull removing the panels around the door, the clips that held mine on were real brittle. I need to buy some replacement clips.

Jim85IROC - Again, thanks for the great product. You were completely right about ordering all pieces so the colors would match. Oh, I'm very happy with everything! I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the sail panels. Maybe I should say if they had "hooks" or something similar, I would have gave the whole kit an A+ instead of an A, haha. I think it is critical were you place the velcro so the panel follows the curvature. I kept the old ones so maybe later I could recover those if I choose to. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Thomas,
Thedude,
I have an overhead console in my IROC and I installed the headliner. I have a tech article on iroczone.com that gives you the step-by step proecedure (it's easy) for installing the console. Unfortunately, IZ is down right now, but we're hoping to have that fixed very soon.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to find it once it's back up.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Sail Panels:

I recovered my old ones with new fabric - el cheapo from WalMart. They also have what's called "fusing material" - it looks kinda like Tyvek, only thinner - you can lay it down, lay your fabric on top, and iron with a steam iron. The fusible material is actually a thin sheet of glue, the steam iron melts it to the surface (sail panel) and fabric, making a nice bond. You could use just about any light weight fabric on just about any surface with this stuff - it turned out great!.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 PM

Car: v8 s10 and a stock 1989 firebird
Engine: s10 is 355 firebird is 305
Transmission: 700r4 full man valve body in s10
Axle/Gears: 3.55 in s10 2.73 in firebird

where did you find the fusing material im thinkin of doing my plastics to match the headliner and door panels i just recovered sounds like that would be less work
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

This thread is 5 1/2 years old,you could try this thread,it's more recent.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ic-carpet.html