History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Dealer invoice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 12:20 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-z, 1968 Camaro RS-ss
Engine: 305, 396
Transmission: auto
Dealer invoice

ok I have a question. Do you feel that it is worth it to purchase the dealer invoice from the GM Media Archive as added documentation for your car. I have the original window sticker and commitment to excellence cards and key chain. just not sure that purchasing the invoice for $50 is worth it. Do you feel it adds more value to the cars?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:06 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 456 Likes on 331 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Re: Dealer invoice

Originally Posted by randyhummel
ok I have a question. Do you feel that it is worth it to purchase the dealer invoice from the GM Media Archive as added documentation for your car. I have the original window sticker and commitment to excellence cards and key chain. just not sure that purchasing the invoice for $50 is worth it. Do you feel it adds more value to the cars?
If the car is 100% original, yes. Any/all documentation that you possess for the car can only add to it's value.

Once a car has been modified (non-numbers-matching engine, brake or chassis mods, interior changes, etc.), IMO, paperwork isn't going to make any difference in the car's value. A buyer interested in a non-stock vehicle isn't going to care about a car's originality or the papers that back that up. Again, JMO.
The following users liked this post:
GASPEDDLER (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Originally Posted by randyhummel
I think the $50 is kind of steep, however, I have bought three of them myself. Two of the cars are low original mile cars, so it was fine. The other one I bought, the car is getting turned into a drag car. I guess I am just more interested in the history of the car and what options it originally had. As ironwill said, it won't add any value to a changed car, but I think it is cool to just get the information that the car used to have. Maybe not $50 for a piece of paper cool, but still cool.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:31 PM

Yes That's what I was thinking my car is 100% original minus the battery and oil filter. Just didn't know since it is only a copy of the invoice and doesn't have a stamp or certification as being original even thought it is from GM that it would add that much value. I guess in the big picture $50 in not much on a car I have had 27 year and never had to put a dime in it.
Thanks All
Old 06-25-2020, 01:42 PM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 267 Likes on 190 Posts

I wouldn't say buying a copy of the invoice is going to increase the value of the car. Anyone can buy an invoice just as they could buy a Car Fax, etc., report.

You have the factory window sticker which is something that not every used car is going to have. You can't buy a window sticker for these cars that's not a reproduction and the reproductions are subject to some accuracy concerns. The invoice won't provide much more documentation that the window sticker and SPID don't show. It will contain the key codes (unless those are now blanked out by GM) as well as shipping dates and such but it's not like it's going to contribute to the car's value directly with detailed information that's not mostly already with the car's existing documentation.

To clarify, while I like documentation and I'm not saying the invoice is not something to have, you asked if it adds value to the car and I can't say that it would. If someone wants to buy your car and wants the invoice, they can order it. I don't think you can ask thousands or hundreds more for the car just for having a copy of the invoice from GM's services.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I didn't have the build sheet or any other paperwork, so an invoice will tell me what options came on my car. Well worth the $50 for that alone. You have the window sticker though so that's a bonus.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Your not going to see a whole lot more that the window sticker describes. I think a window sticker is cooler to have and a potential buyer down the road would be more impressed with that than what GM archives gives you. I purchased one as I didn't have the original window sticker and when I got it said, darn, could have spent $50 better.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM

Yes that is why I am un sure about getting.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Who can say, better than you, if your money is better spent on a piece of paper with some data about your car vs spending it on something else?

You could look at it as completing a collection of documentation, or just adding to the stack. It might tell you something you don't already know, or it might not. Personally, I thought $50 was too much for a PHS packet on my Formula, and I got that 20 years ago. GM doesn't give as much info the last time I looked. You could look at it as a better value since the cost hasn't gone up, or as a poorer value since Chevy invoices used to be free, or because the service used to require somewhat manually locating the records, and now I'm sure it's an easily found online record. Either way, it doesn't matter, no one is going to pay you $50 more for a car that has it, you have to decide for yourself if you want to spent the money to get it. For myself, the answer is no. I bought the packet from PHS and I've never cared enough about any of my other thirdgens to waste the money on a photocopied slip of paper. It doesn't make a car $50 more enjoyable to me.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

I bought one before, and would not buy again. That's just to say, I did not see the value in this for my previous GTA. The GTA I have now, absolutely is a gem, and that paper won't add any more value to it.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

My father purchased my car new. I actually have the dealer invoice somewhere around here - but can't find it, so I spent the $50 and ordered it. They totally didn't send me anything until I emailed them and asked where it was.

I'm now working on getting a repro window sticker made. I think I'm driving them nuts with the questions I have, because I never saw the original window sticker and theirs is leaving out items in the IROC option package.