History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Whats The Deal On The Spare Inflator??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 built
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Whats The Deal On The Spare Inflator??

OK, guy,so I finally get a 91 z28 that Ive been wanting all my life and OK, it has a spare that has to be inflated. No big deal right, the guy I bought it from gave me the inflator. Well the inflator is dead so I go to GM and they say I can buy a new one for $54 and that yes they are rechargeable buy no one has the equipment to recharge them anymore. ????????????HUhhh. So I have to spend $54 every time I have a flat, or have my car towed. What do you guys do?
Old 01-08-2002, 06:23 PM

Try a search on the boards, but it seems to me that the guys who refill fire extinguishers can do it.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You can buy them for alot less either from Classic Industries of Year One, I can't remember exactly which catalog I saw it in. I'm going to buy a new one because the label on mine is starting to fade
Old 01-08-2002, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey maybe you guys can answer a question for me. Do all 3rd gens use a spare that must be inflated. My 91' RS is a factory 16" wheel car and has a spare that looks like it is collapsed. But I have no inflator and I don't even see where it would go, what do you think? Do you have some pics?
Old 01-08-2002, 09:04 PM

Both of my TA's had 16" wheels, but the 85 had a deflated tire with the inflator can, for the life of me I cant remember where the can was except it was where the spare was. The 86 I have now the spare is already inflated, and theres no can.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think only posi rear ends had the inflatable spare.

and as far as the can,, carry around a portable emergency air compressor so that u can fill up the spare using that instead of the can.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I have the deflated space saver with attached canister to inflate it in my 'vert. But I've seen some coupes with an inflated mini-spare style without a canister. I haven't taken the time to look up a p/n for either style yet.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:00 PM

My car is a 'vert. The tire is definately collapsed, sidewall has a big fold in it. I need to find out about the inflator 'cuz I'd be SOL if I had a flat.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Am I missing something?

Even if I had the room to carry a portable air compressor, where would I plug it in? I don't need to buy one, I already have one, it just doesn't have any air in it. Surely these are not single use canisters right?? I need to do something because as you say Im going to be in bad shape if I get a flat. I dont want to have to pay $50 to be towed somewhere every time I have a flat. According to the GM guy they are made to be refilled, just that he didn't think anyone did it any more. Geez, I cant' believe every guy with a 3rd gen Camaro is driving around with a spare that cant be put on the car. I wonder if I just inflate it if it will fit. There is a plastic pad it sits on on the bottom that can be removed. ???
Old 01-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

im talking about the emergencty tire inflator air pumps\compressors that plug into ur cig lighter
Old 01-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

oh!

I didn't know there was such a thing. My neighbor has a real small electric compressor that I have borrowed to fill up a slow leak tire, I thought you were talking about that. Well I saw an inflator on Ebay and bid $8.50 for it. Supposedly it is charged. I guess you have to buy a new one for every flat. At least that's better than $54 from GM
Old 01-09-2002, 10:05 AM

Car: 1983 25th Anny Daytona 500 T/A
Engine: Stock...inoperative... 305
Transmission: Automatic
Re: oh!

As someone else already mentioned, places that recharge fire extinguishers can recharge your tire inflator. Also, a charged inflator cannot legally be sent through the mail, so be careful about the method of shipping!
Rob

Originally posted by Larry Dunlap
I didn't know there was such a thing. My neighbor has a real small electric compressor that I have borrowed to fill up a slow leak tire, I thought you were talking about that. Well I saw an inflator on Ebay and bid $8.50 for it. Supposedly it is charged. I guess you have to buy a new one for every flat. At least that's better than $54 from GM
Old 01-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Got it

I just spoke to JW Thompson Safety Equipment in Houston (fire extinguiser company) and the lady said they do that all the time. She had a Cadilac which also used to use an inflator like this. She said it should cost about $5 or $6. It is filled with CO2.
I guess I missed the first suggestion about the fire extinguisher company. Oh well, if I buy the one for $8.50 on ebay it is in good shape and even has some kind of holder that attaches somehow in the the tire compartment, which the one that came with the car does not have.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:16 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Since the classifieds are down (I guess, I haven't checked today), I have two N64, ten-spoke alum space-saver spares (the inflatable type). Both are virgins to the road (neither has an air can). Pics available, $60 per shipped. E-mail me should you be interested.

JamesC
Old 01-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 749 Posts
Just to clear a few things up...

First, I don't know which cars came with or without the compact uninflated tire. Now that we have that out of the way...

The canister is filled with C02. ie the same stuff they use in pellet guns and fire extinguishers, etc. Fire extinguisher supply places can refill them. Keep in mind if you ever use it that you're driving on a relatively hard to find spare, and you're using a compressed air can that will get cold as it discharges. Use gloves, or the cardboard tube that some inflators came with.
Another alternative is the 12v emergency tire inflator. If you've ever used one of these you know they take about half an hour to fill a tire. Then finally there is the option I go with...
AAA. $50 a year, free towing (1 time per breakdown), emergency services, etc. Plus discounts on the 1 or two things I take to the tire and alignment place each year (flats, locking lugnut removal, muffler service, etc). When I get a flat or the car breaks down they tow it wherever I want in town and then I can fix it at my leasure.

On trips I carry an extra 16" tire in the back in a garbage back. If I get a problem with a tire and it cant be repaired any backwoods service station should be able to mount the tire and send me on my way. Again AAA would take car of hauling the car to a service station if need be.

How about fix-a-flat? In a pinch it would probably work to get to the next exit on the interstate or to limp home.

Another option, if you don't have rear disc brakes, pickup a spare from an early thirdgen in the junkyard, the always inflated type. I have one from an 82 berlinetta thats never been used that works fine for most of my cars. I haven't tried it on the formula yet, but I imagine it would work in a pinch. I would never drive on an economy spare unless it was my absolute last resort.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I have used my deflated spare twice for emergencies, and have yet to use the canister. I just call for a tow truck (AAA card as Drew suggested) and had them inflate it with their air tank. I've bought a 12v inflater as well now. If you've never seen these inflate it is a trip to watch. The thing unfolds first one fold, which moves the entire tire sideways, then the 2nd fold. Those folds are molded into the tire.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

What about deflating them after using them? Thats where the trip really begins eh? Do you have to hook them up to a vacuum pump or something?
Old 01-09-2002, 10:51 PM

No, you pull out the valve stem core, the air comes out, the tire deflates and folds back into place.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:20 AM

Could someone who has the collapsed spare and inflator please post a pic . Thanks.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

PIC

Im at work but I will take a picture of both this evening and post it. Someone told me to get a regular Camaro inlfated spare and put it in there and forget about it. I am not sure it would fit. There is a plastic base that goes in on the bottom that the inflatable spare sits on. I guess I could take this out and let the inlfated small spare sit on the body. I think Im just going to go with the way it is and get the inflator recharged at the fire extinguisher place.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Most of the inflatable compact spares even have a special valve stem cap with the tire valve removal tool built in.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:43 AM
Jza

Re: PIC

Originally posted by Larry Dunlap
Someone told me to get a regular Camaro inlfated spare and put it in there and forget about it.
If you have a posi, that's a good way to burn it up.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

If you have a posi, that's a good way to burn it up.

Not necessarily... the only way it would hurt the posi is if the outside diameters of the tires are completely different. In most cases I wouldn't expect the early spares to be any smaller than later spares... Just check the outside diameter with the tire completely inflated and see how close they are... if its quite a bit off don't chance it.

Regardless, the only time any of my cars has had a spare on, its only been to hold the car while I run to have the flat fixed instead of leaving it on a jackstand. Usually I use my spare Z28 wheels, but in a pinch I'll use a compact spare.

Also depending on how desperate you are, if you have a flat on the rear tires, a front 16" wheel will clear fine on the rear, just put the spare on the front and the front on the rear.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

im lost

Are you saying that using a spare smaller than the other tire on the rear with posi would damage the rear end, even if it was just for short period of time to get to a tire repair place? First of all I don't know if I have a posi rear end. I just got the car, how could I tell? Second of all, if I used a inlfated spare, it would have to be the small type, as a full size spare would never fit in the spare tire area (im not even sure the small one would fit in there). If a small inflated spare would fit in there, Ithink Iwill just do that so I don't have to refill this cansister every time. Even if I do have posi I could do the front/rear swap that was mentioned here (arent the rims marked front and rear? Would that be a problem temporarily?). Whew. a lot of hassle over a spare.

by the way, the fire extinguisher idea wasn't as easy as I thought. I went to two different places in Houston and they said they couldn't do it because they didn't have the adapter. I finally found a tiny hole in the wall fire extinguisher place that knew about what to do because the old lady that ran the place had a Cadillac that had the same deal. I had to leave it on Friday and can pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

The emergency air compressor idea is looking more attractive. Apparently they cost about $15 to $20 from Walmart and will fill the tire in minutes according to an old dude sitting around at the fire extinguisher place. Kind of bulky to carry around though.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:05 PM

The inflated spares arent the same diameter as the stock wheels are anyway, many cars are like that. Thats one of the reasons they suggest not driving too far on the spare, and not over a certain speed. I drove my 85 for 400 miles on the spare at 65mph and it didnt hurt the posi. Tire was worn out though
Old 01-12-2002, 01:34 PM

Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
I also have a inflator type spare tire and when I bought the car the can was missing. I bought one from GM. But I dont know where it mounts. It has just sat in the bottom of my trunk for years. If it mounts I'd love to know where??
Old 01-12-2002, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
The CO2 cylinder mounts to the back of the spare with a "d" shaped clip and a wing bolt through one of the lug holes. I have no idea if mine is still any good, but it weighs about 2-3/4 pounds (supposed to contain 7.5 oz CO2). I had an '83 with one of these (cylinder was missing) and my '85 has one (both posi cars). I originally thought I might inflate the spare with a foot pump, but after working up a sweat for 40 minutes on and off, I didn't think that was such a good idea. I just got to carrying a fix-a-flat cannister, but never had to use it so far (touch e-wood). Anytime I had a flat, it was a slow leaker like a nail and my cigarette lighter pump got me going until I could get it fixed. I'm surprised so few people here have heard of these pumps, since lots of people use them at drags, autox and lapping days. They are okay for adjusting air pressure by 5-10 psi, but as someone said, would take a long time to fully inflate a tire. The fix-a-flat cannisters come in 2 sizes and I think the bigger one would be best for our cars. As for using a donut spare, it's recommended that it be put on a non-driving wheel to avoid undue spider gear or posi wear. I don't really think they are quite as large as the regular wheels.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:34 PM

Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Thanks OldYellr I appear to be missing the clip too. Now it makes sence.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Actually a full size spare tire mounted on a wheel WILL fit in the back of a thirdgen. Ever notice how the rear trim panel has a divot in the bottom? under the carpet there's a provision to hook the J-bolt from the spare tire hold down, then you set the wheel in at an angle with the J-bolt thru the hub then use the washer and wingnut to secure it. With everything aligned just right the hatch will close with the glass pressed up against the tread. The only down sides are that it takes up all the storage space, and if you have the security shade you can't use it with a fullsize tire in back.

The provisions are there for stowing the flat tire, but they also would work if you wanted to carry an extra wheel with tire.

Like I said earlier I just carry a junk but reliable 16" tire in a trashbag when I want the security of a spare tire. Combined with AAA and a cellphone its pretty fool proof... unless you get a tow truck driver that isn't familar with our cars and the front end gets ripped off or the exhaust tips get dragged.... LOL
Old 01-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Transmission: auto
spare

Here's a pic of an aluminum spare--the N-64. I don't have a pic of the inflator tho. These are the collapseable ones.
Attached Thumbnails Whats The Deal On The Spare Inflator??-aluminum-spare.jpg  
Old 01-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

From what I've seen N64 doesn't always indicate the aluminum spare, only that its a compact inflatable spare. I have cars that came both ways.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 PM

As we all can agree GM did some stranger things, so anything is possible. I was thinking that the steel version was N65.

JamesC
Old 01-14-2002, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Co2

Here's a really bad pic of the Co2 canistor--this is just to give you some kind of an idea on what it looks like. The paper label is covering a cardboard tube, and the canistor itself is blue. This came out of an 88 Formula that was all original-still have the rpo codes- had rear drums-305 tpi--also had an aluminum driveshaft-which is weird because I thought these options only came on rear disc cars!--my camera takes lousey pics when it's dark out!
Attached Thumbnails Whats The Deal On The Spare Inflator??-co2-canistor.jpg  
Old 01-14-2002, 08:30 PM

I ran the VIN of the '89 1LE the steering box for my '83 Z28 came out of and it had these RPO codes:

JG1 Aluminum driveshaft
N64 Aluminum spacesaver spare

The '83 and my '85 both have

N65 : WHEEL & TIRE,SPARE, SPACE SAVER, STEEL
Old 01-14-2002, 09:49 PM

Car: 1989
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: 2.77
i carry aircompresor and plug kit my tire would have to be toast before i put spare on, haven't done it yet thank ***
Old 01-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

My 87 shows N64 and has all the provisions for the aluminum spare. My Formula has N64 and a steel compact spare. I believe its original because allt he original jack and spare hardware was there excpet the c02 canister... even the canister clamp was still there. I'm pretty sure my RS has the RPO N64 also, and it has the same spare and stuff as the formula including the canister. It's never been out of the car.

So it would seem that somewhere along the production run N64 didn't mean an aluminum spare.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:09 PM

Another possibility is that an aluminum spare was specified and listed in the RPO codes, but there was a parts shortage and a steel one was substituted.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

spare

Yrs ago my father had a 79 seville--it had the collapseable spare in it--I think all the older rwd caddy's had them--I assume they would work in our cars? They look exactly like the ones that came in some of our cars.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

finally got it filled

I finally got the inflator filled by a fire extinguisher company. It was a small mom and pop (literally) operation, the big stores woulnd't be bothered with it. Even these people didn't have the adapter for this cansister so they had to send it to a big industrial place to be done. It took about one week to get back, and cost $12. Besides that this place was clear on the other side of town. I went to walmart last night and saw the 12v compressors for $20. They are pretty small, might actually fit in the small compartment with a keyed door in the back of my car. Probably will go that way in the future, two flats and I paid for the compressor.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:41 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
12v Air Compressors

The little Campbell-Hausefeld Compressors work pretty well. I carry one for pumping up on track days. I used it once to pump up a tire on a horse trailer that had a horse in it.

It does fit in the 'lock box' along with my glass cleaner, Qwik Detailer, Armorall and my Mag-Lite
Old 01-23-2002, 06:26 PM

I still have one N64 alum spare left, should someone be interested. See ad above

JamesC
Old 01-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83WS6TA
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: TH350C
Axle/Gears: 3:23
I have the deflated spare in my 83TA.

I didn't ever want to use the inflation canister because I figured a new one would be about $500 Cdn. from GM so I just got a large bicycle pump and left it in the car.

I also inflated the tyre once at a gas station to make sure it was beaded properly and didn't leak.

Let the air out and it fitted back in no problem.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by George
I just got a large bicycle pump and left it in the car.
Forget about using any kind of bicycle pump, even a good Silca. It once took me 40 minutes using a foot pump with rest stops every 10 minutes. Every once in awhile Canadian Tire has those cigarette lighter pumps on sale for $10.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83WS6TA
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: TH350C
Axle/Gears: 3:23
It's not really a bicycle pump per se it's one of those big ones that you put your feet on when you're using it. I just could'nt think any other name for it.

It works OK and I filed tyres with it before. Did'nt take 40 minutes either but I was younger then.

As for the foot pumps it takes for ever to fill anything with one of those because the pump body is so small.

Although I hear the atmospheric pressure down round Woodstock is well below the national average. That might explain the 40 minutes.