History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

ARE WE A DYING BREED??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 810 Likes on 615 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: ARE WE A DYING BREED??

Well, you guys certainly sound old!

"Damn lazy wrong-speedo-gear kids...get off my lawn"!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:38 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Investments aside, I think the biggest factor is when you grew up and what was hot...
As those people get older, they get more $$$...

I grew up in the third gen era... for me personally, the 1st gen, it's an ok car, but not great looking... 2nd gen, too round... 3rd gen, favorite, nice blend of curves and lines, the side view akin to the 68/70 Chargers (which I think was the best looking car of that era)... 4th gen, too round (80's Tauras jelly bean) and 5th gen too cartoonish / bold copy of 1st gen...

I think value will go up as more of he people that grew up with them get older / richer...

But I don't have mine for future value / investment reasons....
It's my dream car I can afford and slowly making it nice....
I dig the way it looks / shape / lines / curves...
& with TPI 5 speed, fun to drive as someone mentioned earlier...

Rafael

Rafael
Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 Firbird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

You can't throw all the blame at young ones. Each year the automotive companies design their cars to be harder and harder to manipulate and repair. Instead of replacing a wore out part, you replace the whole system. Why fix a broken motor, buy the newest and the best. We will make it as plug and play as we can.

I remember when I first replaced a fuel pump on a Third gen. I could buy and replace the pump alone. Now you have to buy it with the sending unit at 3 times the price!

They are currently trying to get laws passed to make it illegal to tamper with the S/W. They want it covered by the copyright laws.

But I also believe there will always be someone who wants to tinker with their ride. Make it go a little faster, look a little different and put there own stamp on it!

Last edited by bjpotter; 01-06-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1

I've had a '71 Camaro, and a '75, and a '79. The '71 was too rusty to be worth saving then, but I regret scrapping it. The '75 is the one I miss driving, the one that got "built", and it had a 4-speed. It got stolen. The '79 felt similar to the '75, the view from the driver's seat was the same, but a 200-horse 350 with a TH350 and economy gears drives very differently from a 350-horse 350 with intake, cam, porting, headers, Holley, duals, and dragstrip gears.
Part of my search for a third gen, I must admit, comes from not being able to get into a second gen that doesn't have excessive rust. But part of it is that I missed the '70s entirely, they were before my time, I grew up seeing IROC-Zs everywhere. They turned my head then, they still do. Even though the IROC-Z front overhang is long enough to look wrong, and the '85-'90 T/A ground effects also look wrong, and the base birds' nose is too far above the road. Sir Francis Bacon said something about there being no beauty that didn't have some strangeness about it, and there's something visually wrong with every car.
I still love the looks of the '67-'68, and I have sat in one, behind the wheel, rowing the gears, but they're too far out of reach.
My '79 was a great cruiser, a great choice for a road trip, too. But it was nearly 4000 # with just me and a full tank. And it would turn, but 255s are all it can fit up front. 2 more good reasons to get something newer.
I've driven a turbo Regal, an '84 or '85. Imagining it in a GTA with another 40 horses intrigues me, but a healthy 350, or maybe a 5.3/6.0 swap eventually, should do just as well.
I didn't join to restore a Firehawk, but it would be fun. So I guess I'm probably not part of the breed. For me, this is the cheapest front-engine, rear-drive chassis that can be made to perform. If cost were no object, I'd go buy a new Grand Sport Corvette and hire a big-name builder to put all its good bits in another '75 Camaro.