History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Need help identifying the year of this camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need help identifying the year of this camaro

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Everything the guys have told you here is correct , that car is a beat has been that the "dealer" (crook) likely took in for $200 and wants to brag to his slimebag friends about how he porked someone out of $1200 for his $200 POS ! The broken taillights and the huge chunk outta the driver's side rear bumper ain't exactly confidence inspiring , as well as the fact that not a single piece of the front end sheetmetal even comes close to lining up (driver's side fender sticking up way beyond the hood & etc.)

In short ;

RUN FOREST , RUN !!!!!!!!!

bumper is just missing paint,its getting all new stuff from the hood to the headlights and taillights
Old 05-10-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Did you just ignore that the car in the video is a pace car replica, and the car in the OP is a run of the mill, beat to hell, cobbled together Z28? "If he has the time and the money" like the time and money to afford all the exotics in the background of the video?

I'm not really here to help anyone get a Camaro. But if that is my goal I'd rather encourage someone to buy a better Camaro than the first overpriced piece of junk they look at. These cars are plentiful. There are still buckets of them out there in nice shape for reasonable prices. There's no reason to pay too much for a basket case. If we encourage someone to buy this car, more so a person who knows nothing about the car in general, they're more likely to lose interest in rebuilding the car and it'll end up in a scrap yard anyway. It's in everyone's best interest to encourage new enthusiasts toward better cars. The kind of person that can handle a project like the 82 Z28 in this thread, probably isn't going to be asking these questions on a forum like this.
I just wanted to know the year,not a damn lecture and why would i lose interest in it,its one of my dream cars,always wanted a third gen camaro,firebird since i first layed my eyes on one
Old 05-10-2015, 10:34 PM

thanks everyone for your help,ill just keep looking
Old 05-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Originally Posted by camarofan411
You guys were of little help,im still getting it,its a project,not a full on drive it off the lot,it looks worse on pictures but it runs,dealer had it running when i was there,most of you live where there alot of camaros,firebirds but where i live they are scarce.
Where are you located?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 AM

Huntington pa
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

What's your budget and are you considering the costs involved in getting this road worthy & looking good?

If you are patient you can find cars in much better condition for not much more money.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 721 Likes on 513 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Last edited by OrangeBird; 02-10-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Hey , I know it's hard to see a car and think it's exactly what ya want , have everybody go pointing out all that's wrong with it , and not take it personal . Just know that the guys here really are trying to keep you from making the same mistake a bunch of us made a zillion years ago , the mistake of buying something too far gone to be a practical driver/restoration candidate . At a $1200 price level , you should be able to slap plates on it , maybe jump start it for the battery being a bit weak from sitting , and drive it home . For $1200 to have to trailer it home and then find out the transmission don't shift right or the engine has a rod rap means the "dealer" (scumbag) is mad tryin to take advantage of the fact that you want a Camaro . It's a game with Azzholes like that , they can gauge how bad you want a car , know by the things you say just how far moneywise your willing to go , and try to squeeze every last penny they can from ya all the while tryin to convince you of how great a deal your getting . I did read your follow up post where you said you would skip this one and I hope you know you've truly made the right decision . While there may not be a Camaro on every small dealer lot on every corner , there not all that rare yet to have a premium price attached to one in such poor condition .

PS , when you do find that decent condition $1500 driver/restoration candidate , please , whatever you do , do NOT put one of those "air cleaners" on it !!! Yes , I know they look racy to some folks , but to those in the know , they are referred to as "the triangle of death" for how horrible they are at actually filtering air ! When I see one of those under a hood , that right there is enough to make me walk away from a purchase unless it's a practical give away price . The very presence of the triangle of death means it was someone's "I wanna be a race car driver" hacked up mess , and there are likely many other things hacked along with the missing factory air cleaner .

I do wish you the best of luck in finding something worthy of your time and money . It may not be in your immediate neighborhood , but it IS out there , the decent car at the fair price , now all ya gotta do is have the patience to find it
thank you and i know how bad the air filters are,my father had one on his 88 c2500 and he threw it away the first day he had it and i know there are better out there so my search continues
Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

I agree on waiting for something else. I wouldn't let scarcity be a consideration when looking. The mindset alone is going to put you at a disadvantage. There were literally millions of these cars made and finding a decent one is going to put you far ahead. Even that dash pad would be $100-$300 alone if you didn't have a source for it.

If the car is rust free it would still take much more to bring it up to daily driver condition. I think you mentioned that it was sitting low to the ground, and along with the ground effects it might be difficult to get a good enough look at it. I know of a few instances where a well funded project has ended due to hidden rust. It's also harder to tell condition when something is as dirty as it is. Then too consider if the seller actually valued the car at $1200, he would probably make a better effort in protecting it from damage. Go onto Ebay and price out the tail lights, 82-83 fiberglass hood and other needed parts and you'll see what I'm talking about. But as stated, even if that were the case, without driving it you are also at a disadvantage in accessing it's condition. With a $1500 budget you don't have much to work with.

This book may also help, the info is online but it's nice to have on hand imo.
Camaro White Book 1967-2011: Mike Antonick: 9780933534544: Amazon.com: Books Camaro White Book 1967-2011: Mike Antonick: 9780933534544: Amazon.com: Books

I was going to mention too that this section is about originality so the comments might be on the harsh side, but the people here do have your best interests in mind. The more objective and critical you are the better deal you are going to get as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/5001096859.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/5007974013.html
Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Ya know, I would suck that 82 up in a heartbeat! Its unmolested, good shape and the price is perfect!

Follow your dreams.

Beats the hell outta a 82 Trans Am GTA any day of the week. Good luck with your purchase!

PS:
If you need anything, feel free to come back here to this sorry forum. We'll try and help ya out.

Now
Old 05-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Ya know, I would suck that 82 up in a heartbeat! Its unmolested, good shape and the price is perfect!

Follow your dreams.

Beats the hell outta a 82 Trans Am GTA any day of the week. Good luck with your purchase!

PS:
If you need anything, feel free to come back here to this sorry forum. We'll try and help ya out.

Now
I totally agree with ya bob!! follow your heart. If you want one buy it. These guys are right tho. It is priced too high. If the interior is clean and the underside of the car is not rusted out, IMO I dont think its that horrific. The guys here are trying to prepare you for what you are going to face. If you are a DIY and have the time and tools to fix the car, Its a good project car. Lord knows we have seen worse rescued. It looks like a good parts car. So, IMO if you want it, buy it. I guarantee if you go there with cash and flip the tables on him, like, whos going to buy it? how long has it been sitting, I have 500 cash now, I found one for 800 that is in much better shape, this is just a parts car ect, take control of the sale. dont show too much interest, you will get him to come down. You could part that car out and make money on it... I see gm used fenders sell all the time for 150-200, doors for 250-300, ect... the rear glass 300-400 bucks. so there is a solid grand right there. Dont let him doop you!! Good luck. oh, If you know a mechanic, have them look over it for you.

-Dan
Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Camarofan, what I'm hearing is that you can only afford about $1500. If that's all you can afford, how do you plan on getting this car working again? All of the parts are going to cost money. If you can afford $200 a month on repairs after spending $1500 on the car, then you're looking at $3900 invested into this car after one year. No offense, but it will still be needing a lot of work after $3900! The only reason Drew is telling you to buy the Ford is because it's sitting right there in the picture, doesn't look as bad as this car, and he did say if you could get it for a certain price, it will be an overall better purchase for the same money. Plus Drew has a Ford or two, but we won't discuss that here!!!

I've broken down the costs in many posts for newer buyers willing to buy a scrap heap and rebuild it. By the time the owner is tired of throwing his hard earned cash at the beater, they usually spend $3-$5k just to get the car rolling correctly and it will still need interior repairs and paint. On a budget, that's another $2k. After spending $7k, the car is still a high mileage car that will continue requiring repairs and money and still won't be "like new".

I have to agree with you that the pickens are slim in your area for that price range. I searched the entire state and didn't really find anything worthwhile. Something most people don't think about is what they can get out of state. It may cost a few dollars to get it, but sometimes you are getting so much more for less.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

It might not be a Z28, but check this out. It's in PA also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-New-Tires-T-Tops-Clean-Car-0-Accidents-/121644057779?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c528d04b3&item=121644057779
Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
It might not be a Z28, but check this out. It's in PA also.

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 New Tires T Tops Clean Car 0 Accidents | eBay
Thanks.

I specifically left that one off the radar because I want to buy it cheap for the seats, carpet, console & interior panels to make my 87 IROC whole again. I'd then install the correct black 87 interior I have and nobody would be the wiser.

Oh well, off to look for the next one....
Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Im sorry about saying this forum is sorry,i meant this post not the entire forum its self,it has a lot of information to it and im looking for another camaro,firebird,thanks to all who helped me
Old 05-12-2015, 11:50 AM

The ford is in way worse condition than the camaro is,the dash is missing and there is holes in the floor but i appreiate the help
Old 05-12-2015, 11:52 AM

Follow your dreams.

PS:

Now

Sorry about coming off as a jerk,its just everyone i asked says the car is not worth it, i know its just a junker but it has potential to be a good running car,i can get parts for it cheap from junkyards and friends,hope this doesnt ruin me being on the forum
Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Camarofan, what I'm hearing is that you can only afford about $1500. If that's all you can afford, how do you plan on getting this car working again? All of the parts are going to cost money. If you can afford $200 a month on repairs after spending $1500 on the car, then you're looking at $3900 invested into this car after one year. No offense, but it will still be needing a lot of work after $3900! The only reason Drew is telling you to buy the Ford is because it's sitting right there in the picture, doesn't look as bad as this car, and he did say if you could get it for a certain price, it will be an overall better purchase for the same money. Plus Drew has a Ford or two, but we won't discuss that here!!!

I've broken down the costs in many posts for newer buyers willing to buy a scrap heap and rebuild it. By the time the owner is tired of throwing his hard earned cash at the beater, they usually spend $3-$5k just to get the car rolling correctly and it will still need interior repairs and paint. On a budget, that's another $2k. After spending $7k, the car is still a high mileage car that will continue requiring repairs and money and still won't be "like new".

I have to agree with you that the pickens are slim in your area for that price range. I searched the entire state and didn't really find anything worthwhile. Something most people don't think about is what they can get out of state. It may cost a few dollars to get it, but sometimes you are getting so much more for less.
Yes I know but i just want something to work on over the summer,may not be the best looking car but it has potential to be a good car.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

"hope this doesn't ruin me being on the forum"

Not at all.

But it's been said so many times about jumping on this particular car, is the cost of the car, then trying to make it run properly. Its just gonna keep you broke this summer. And May is half over.

It's all cool.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
Thanks.

I specifically left that one off the radar because I want to buy it cheap for the seats, carpet, console & interior panels to make my 87 IROC whole again. I'd then install the correct black 87 interior I have and nobody would be the wiser.

Oh well, off to look for the next one....
Hey Chris, you got something in your barn or close by in a lot better shape for him??? Help a guy out!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

What everyone is saying, some not as nicely as others, is that we have ALL been where you are right now - tight budget, looking at whatever you think you can afford. Just a quick guess looking at some of the posters here & knowing some of their ages and you have the opportunity to benefit from a couple hundred years of car buying mistakes.

That's all we're saying - ultimately you are the only one who needs to be happy with the car. Personally, I would be looking for a better car....and always am.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
What everyone is saying, some not as nicely as others, is that we have ALL been where you are right now - tight budget, looking at whatever you think you can afford. Just a quick guess looking at some of the posters here & knowing some of their ages and you have the opportunity to benefit from a couple hundred years of car buying mistakes.

That's all we're saying - ultimately you are the only one who needs to be happy with the car. Personally, I would be looking for a better car....and always am.
"couple hundred years of car buying mistakes"

Boy you nailed that one Chris, I think closer to a thousand!!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Chris, you got something in your barn or close by in a lot better shape for him??? Help a guy out!
This is the best I can do at the moment - could probably even bring it to him on my way out to Ohio in another week or so.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5013825740.html
Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 PM

Only reason i inquired about this car is because he would let me make payments.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

he would let me make payments

RUN AWAY NOW!!!!!!

Clearly you have no experience with used-car lots.

Here's how that scam works:
  1. You make the down payment and sign the paperwork. The down payment is what the dealer has in the car. IOW, (a) you just found out what the car is REALLY worth, and (b) every penny from there on out that you pay, is pure profit to the dealer.
  2. What you failed to notice BEFORE signing is, you agree that if you miss a payment, the dealer can repo the car without returning you a penny.
  3. There is no warranty on the car. It could puke its guts out before it gets off the lot and you will still be on the hook for the payments. You could make every payment except the last one and the car fall to a pile of rust; you are still on the hook for the payments.
  4. You could be out of a job, need to pay school tuition, in the hospital, in jail; doesn't matter. You are on the hook for the payments or he will come get the car. That's what the tow truck sitting just outside of your picture is for: not to lovingly help out his loyal customers by providing free towing to his warranty service repair shop; it's to REPO CARS.
  5. When he repo's it, he will KEEP YOUR MONEY. That's right: you could agree to pay, say $300 down (what the car is worth) and $50 a week; at that rate you should pay it off in about 4 months (18 weeks); you could make 17 payments and miss the last one, and he will REPO THE CAR and you will lose your $1150 FOREVER.
Yes in fact I have seen THE SAME CAR on the lot of one of those dealers sold and repo'ed AT LEAST 3 times. (put the right kind of car out there in the right part of town, draws em like flies)

It is a worse way for a consumer to do business than even the payday loan scam or "rent to own" furniture scam. It is worse even than pawn shops. The actual "business" of that establishment IS NOT cars or furniture or whatever; it's getting you hooked into making payments. Remember that: the business is not what's on the sign, it's getting you to agree to make the payments. He isn't going to "let" you make payments; he's going to FORCE you to make payments, and KEEP ON making them, long after the true value of the thing in question is covered. You obligate yourself to throw away good money after bad: if you don't keep throwing away your money, he comes and gets the car, and then you have no money AND no car. You have just bent over, grabbed your ankles, and made a new friend.

If you don't believe me, go try to pay cash for it. If it was a legitimate business proposition, he would lower the price, in order to avoid having to shoulder the risk of you not making the payments. He will not do that, might even RAISE the price to keep from giving up the car. In reality, if he sells it for cash EVEN FOR THE SAME PRICE, he gives up the right to repo the car, meaning, he just lost his opportunity to sell the same car more than once. He DOESN'T WANT YOU to own the car free and clear: that's not his business model. He's in the business of getting people on the hook to make payments, NOT the business of selling cars.

That pretty much seals the deal right there: it is nothing but scam bait to prey on the gullible and inexperienced. Forget you ever even saw it. It is poison. It might as well not exist any more.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 05-13-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:28 AM

I do know how used car lots work,used to do odd jobs for one down the road from me,bought a few cars from them as well,just wanted to try a new lot but im not evn gonna try to get that rust bucket,gonna keep looking
Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Axle/Gears: 3.73

DID you buy it??? There is a member here who is giving his car away. Its in Sd cali but you could use the buying money to have it shipped to you. It is way better shape and is a project car. If a MOD is reading this can we link them together if its not too late??
I'd love to see this guy get it. seems like a pure Camaro lover like all of us and it would fit him for what he is looking for.... Just a thought.
-Dan
Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 AM

Save up. Tuck that money away. Next year buy a 3rd gen in the 3-4 k range and be happier.

I'm an impulse buyer too. But my best purchases (art, collectibles) have been when I sat and thought about it. How I'm tying my money up and if I can divest it quickly and for a profit or loss. Take your time and you will find the right car for you
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Carbed 305
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I too am an impulse buyer and were just like you when I was younger. Luckily I had my pops to help me keep my head screwed on straight. Ive been a Camaro lover since the first 82 Pace Car came rolling out on the track in Daytona when I was an 8 year old kid. However, everyone here is correct. I know one year sounds like forever to wait, and hey, maybe it wont even take that long, but Im going to give you an example of what you can buy if you just double that $1200 and wait for the right car because they ARE out there. I bought this one for 2500 and it came with fresh paint with perfect body lines, charcoal leather seats from a fourth gen in perfect shape, new carpet etc. THIS is an 82-84 car worth putting a small amount of money into if you can get one this cheap (and you can) to make it super clean. Here ya go...

Old 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Now, a car like the one you posted for 1200 would take you an additional 5000 to make it look like the one I just posted above that I bought for 2500.....and didnt have to do ANYTHING to make it look like that. The engine bay is just as clean and the car has only 63000 miles on it. You can find one like it trust me. They are out there. This was a craigslist car no more than 8 miles from my house.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I paid $500 for my 84 Z28 L69 T5 car... and drove it home. There are plenty out there man, and the longer the wait the more you'll have saved
Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by aaron7
I paid $500 for my 84 Z28 L69 T5 car... and drove it home. There are plenty out there man, and the longer the wait the more you'll have saved
Okay, now I'm going to sound like a craigslist buyer.... Want your $500 back? 😜