History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

under coating vs. value.. increase or decrease

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z Z-28, BLUE & SILVER
Engine: 5.7L & 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: FACTORY
under coating vs. value.. increase or decrease

i have an all original 1985 silver iroc-z with black interior. i want to keep it original and get it appraised but my carpets need a little tlc. my question is... if i use por15 or another form of rust proof on the undercoat and pull the carpet and coat it there before putting new carpet to prevent rust, will this be a good thing or bad thing?? will it decrease the value or desirability or increase it??
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Re: under coating vs. value.. increase or decrease

the reason im concerned about the value is because the silver iroc's were made in 1985 only...
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...roc-z-z28.html
for a pic of my car.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM

post #21 shows my silver one, dont mind my blue one ;-)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Won't make a damn bit of difference, one way or the other.

Nobody cares.

Nobody cares about silver being a 1-yr only color either, except for a very few among us on these boards.

Do what YOU see fit, for YOU to be able for YOU to enjoy the car YOU want to have. If that means all-original because YOU like all-original cars, then so be it. If that means modded, fine too. Whatever YOU want FOR YOU, NOT for some kind of "value".

DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that there's any kind of "value" like the 60s muscle cars have. Not these cars, nor ANY car newer than about 73 or so. Ain't gonna happen. As "justification" (rationalization is more like it) for decision-making, that pie-in-the-sky fantasy will only lead you to expensive or futile wastes of your hard-earned $$$$.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Trans am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Before, I was all about restoring everything to how it was and worrying about any modifications effecting the value of my car but then I realized that I love my car way too much to ever sell it so the change of value do to mods has no meaning to me.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree with sofakingdom. There was a time when people said muscle cars would never be "valuable". Second gens from 74-81 are worth much more than their purchase price in good original shape. Third gens in good condition are starting to rise in value and will continue to do so. All things being equal, an original car is going to be more valuable every time.

The real question is "Does your car need Por 15 to cover up existing surface rust". If the answer is "yes", you no longer have an original car and Por 15 would be a good way to go. If the rust is deeper than surface, it will continue to rust under the Por 15.

If there is NO rust underneath, I wouldn't slop that stuff over everything to protect it. Other things like Lloyd's Loobit or even WD-40 will coat everything without harming the paint and protect it from rust. Yes, you do have to reapply often if you drive in rain but I'm assuming that you are only getting caught in the occasional shower. If you're daily driving through winter you won't have a car that will increase in value.

As for underneath the carpet, Por 15 is a good idea if rust has started. If there is no rust there - bonus. Just take a few pictures and lay down the new carpet.

Silver probably won't make your car more valuable but it will be more interesting. There will be a few buyers who are looking for that colour but most will go for the popular colours.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Nobody cares about silver being a 1-yr only color either, except for a very few among us on these boards.
Ahem, like me?

By the way, Will, my 85 is highly modified. I want to enjoy the car today, not worry about its worth tomorrow.

BTW, I've used POR on several places on the body as well as the rear end.

Best of luck on your project,

JamesC
Old 01-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Originally Posted by 90 GTA Black
I disagree with sofakingdom. There was a time when people said muscle cars would never be "valuable". Second gens from 74-81 are worth much more than their purchase price in good original shape. Third gens in good condition are starting to rise in value and will continue to do so. All things being equal, an original car is going to be more valuable every time.

The real question is "Does your car need Por 15 to cover up existing surface rust". If the answer is "yes", you no longer have an original car and Por 15 would be a good way to go. If the rust is deeper than surface, it will continue to rust under the Por 15.

If there is NO rust underneath, I wouldn't slop that stuff over everything to protect it. Other things like Lloyd's Loobit or even WD-40 will coat everything without harming the paint and protect it from rust. Yes, you do have to reapply often if you drive in rain but I'm assuming that you are only getting caught in the occasional shower. If you're daily driving through winter you won't have a car that will increase in value.

As for underneath the carpet, Por 15 is a good idea if rust has started. If there is no rust there - bonus. Just take a few pictures and lay down the new carpet.

Silver probably won't make your car more valuable but it will be more interesting. There will be a few buyers who are looking for that colour but most will go for the popular colours.
For the most part. I do think 3rd gens will bring some money in years to come, but it's not next year or the year after. I remember when you could pick up second gens dirt cheap and now look at what some of them go for. Sure just like almost any old car you can find them cheap in rough shape, but want a nice one your going to pony up some cash. I'm going to leave my TA alone for awhile because I don't care what kind of old car it is-original sells better than modded 9 times out of 10-been there done that a few times.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 898 Likes on 589 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Originally Posted by WILL85IROC
i have an all original 1985 silver iroc-z with black interior. i want to keep it original and get it appraised but my carpets need a little tlc. my question is... if i use por15 or another form of rust proof on the undercoat and pull the carpet and coat it there before putting new carpet to prevent rust, will this be a good thing or bad thing?? will it decrease the value or desirability or increase it??
Don't waste your time puting por15 on painted surfaces. It will flake off with a lil time, its designed to chemicaly bind to rusty surfaces.
Unless its rusty and or your planning to leave it outside with windows open I'd leave the floor painted silver.