History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

T-Tops and more

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 373
T-Tops and more

Ok, I have heard that there is a very limited number of Camaro's and Firebirds out there with what is called "Cars & Concepts" T-Tops. Now I have done some research to find that this is listed as an "aftermarket" type of T-Top, yet the codes on the car call that it is a factory T-Top car????

I am confused. I have never seen one with the same type of T-Tops as my 1991 Camaro RS, until I found a 1991 Formula in the salvage yard this weekend. It measured the same and all. First one ever!!! I have been to many yards, looked at many cars, and every 3rd Gen that has been at every show and such, and these two are the only ones that I have seen like this.

How rare is this, and what type of pain is it as I can never seem to find T-Tops and seals that fit without having to buy brand new?!?!

I love my car, but I am soooooo getting tired of all the issues I have had with it. The only reason I won't sell it, is the fact that I have bought a brand new engine, tranny, and front end for it. Now I am out of money and I still need to replace the rear, AC, seals, door hinges and all. This is a daily driver that is really starting to upset me.

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: T-Tops and more

I have 2 cars with C&C t-tops, a 1982 Trans Am and a 1988 Trans Am. Not really rare, I've seen several others in person.

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/ has seals, etc for your t-tops.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

If the car has RPO CC1 and the SPID label VIN number matches your car's VIN, then you have factory TTops. C&C put TTops in cars that the factory couldn't, like a 90-92 350 based Camaro. Is it possible that you have factory TTops, but they are the Lexan/plastic ones instead of glass?

Why would you replace weatherstripping that is 20 years old with used weatherstripping that is.........20 years old?!! You need to replace old worn parts with new parts, not other old, worn parts!

Also, why would you sell this car? You obviously bought the car on the cheap if you needed to replace the front end, engine and trans, AC, rear and door hinges. You get what you pay for. If you bought a car that needed a lot of work, then deal with getting it fixed. If you don't want to fix all of this, then spend more up front and get a car in better condition! Even the low mile cars will require repairs. My 19k mile IROC-Z has had the AC replaced for $650, new tires, tranny rebuild for $1500, alternator issues, power antenna issues, weatherstripping replacement, fuel pump replacement, etc. A 20+ year old car, no matter the mieage, WILL require service and repairs.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
If the car has RPO CC1 and the SPID label VIN number matches your car's VIN, then you have factory TTops. C&C put TTops in cars that the factory couldn't, like a 90-92 350 based Camaro. Is it possible that you have factory TTops, but they are the Lexan/plastic ones instead of glass?

Why would you replace weatherstripping that is 20 years old with used weatherstripping that is.........20 years old?!! You need to replace old worn parts with new parts, not other old, worn parts!

Also, why would you sell this car? You obviously bought the car on the cheap if you needed to replace the front end, engine and trans, AC, rear and door hinges. You get what you pay for. If you bought a car that needed a lot of work, then deal with getting it fixed. If you don't want to fix all of this, then spend more up front and get a car in better condition! Even the low mile cars will require repairs. My 19k mile IROC-Z has had the AC replaced for $650, new tires, tranny rebuild for $1500, alternator issues, power antenna issues, weatherstripping replacement, fuel pump replacement, etc. A 20+ year old car, no matter the mieage, WILL require service and repairs.
This is so true. I got my car and it has low miles on it and I had to drop over $1500 bucks in the first week just to get it running right, Fuel pump, fuel filter, tune up, and odds and ends. An old vehicle is always going to have stuff go wrong. My truck is 10 years old and in great shape, but it seems every so offten there is something that needs addressed and it only has 91K on the clock and a ton of new parts.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 373

Oh I understand about older cars needing repairs and such. It is just I am running out of money fast, lol. I bought the 91 Camaro for $2500, after selling my Mustang for $2400. I've had the car for about 7-8 years now. Car had 110k miles on it when I bought it.

I bought a brand new crate engine from Scoggin-Dickey at 312k miles. New TCI transmission at 335k miles. New front end at 350k miles. Car currently has 354k miles on it. It is a daily driver, driving a minimum of 100 miles a day.

The car is strong, and it is coming along. The T-Top seals will be purchased new when I get the money saved up.

"If the car has RPO CC1 and the SPID label VIN number matches your car's VIN, then you have factory TTops. C&C put TTops in cars that the factory couldn't, like a 90-92 350 based Camaro. Is it possible that you have factory TTops, but they are the Lexan/plastic ones instead of glass?"

The VIN and code labels match the car. The tops themselves are glass, with the same VIN etched into them. I just thought it was strange, never finding one like mine, then finding a 91 Firebird sitting in the salvage yard with the same tops on it. I was just trying to clarify what someone was trying to tell me, and wanted to make sure on the facts on them.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 357 Likes on 271 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

This is a set of C&C T-Tops,.......

Some had locks some didn't, some had chrome handles, some had black. Your car should NOT have a cc1 code because C&C cars were hardtop cars with the roof cut off. The hardtop headliner and "A" pillar trim were then modified to fit.

Possible to install a C&C roof on any ThirdGen,...... Yup ! I've personally owned factory hardtop 84 Berlinetta with a factory T-Top roof sectioned onto it. I have also owned an 86 IROC that was 2 cars sectioned togther. (spliced in the middle on bottom and @ the middle of the "A" pillar in front. My point is that anything IS possible !!

The tops themselves are glass, with the same VIN etched into them.
I never saw that before ! Where is the VIN etched to the T-Top ??

Why would you replace weatherstripping that is 20 years old with used weatherstripping that is.........20 years old?!!
Scott; sometime you gotta' do what you gotta' do !! I installed 28 Y/O (originally on my 84) factory T-Top weather stripping on my 85 Z last week. The 85 was leaking bad and had a rusty T-Bar. When I pulled the 85 T-Bat I found the weatherstrip was cracked in several placed along the "lip" edge. My choices were to install what I had, or get forced into spending big $ on new replacements and leave the car outside and unsealed.

I'm happy to report: the 27 Y/O seals worked JUST FINE with no leaks !

P.S. I'm no fool. Unlike this on the spot problem with the 85Z, my Berlinetta was a 'planned project' and got NOS GM Seals installed a few months ago !

Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 PM

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

To the OP, the C&C t-tops were put on orignal hard-top cars. There was an extensive "butterfly" put in place to support the lack of rigidity to cutting the top. Some have claimed that the C&C T-top was less prone to leakage than the factory CC1 T-top. Judge for yourself.

The three aspects about C&C T-tops:

1. The "weatherstrip" or seal at the rear of the tops does not appear on CC1 tops, so it is most definitely not "factory".

2. The side panels (i.e. from the roof to the window) are wider than on the factory T-tops.

3. There is most possibly a logo for C&C that appears in the rearward portion of the T-tops. At least that is what I found when I came across one at the wreckers.

The two advantages of the C&C:

1. For those years with the 350 and no T-tops combo, this solved the problem.

2. Stiffer body/frame combo, so less prone to leakage (so I've heard).

I hope that helps.