History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Keep FE2 parts or swap in what I have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Keep FE2 parts or swap in what I have?

I bought an 88 IROC-Z28 a couple days ago that is a roller. Lucky me, it came with a full set of interior trim (minus pillar trims and no carpet or seats) that it had from the factory. It's got 97K on it (if the odometer is right and isn't actually 197K... stinking 5-digit odometer), but does have some minor issues. But, that's not what I'm asking about.

One of the consoles that was stuffed in the car (it was literally chock full of extra parts) was the factory console with the factory VIN-matching RPO sticker. The 88 supposedly has the FE2 suspension, but it has the GU4 axle (originally an LO3 which the guy I bought it from is keeping) with the J50 rear drum brakes. I've already swapped in my GU6 rear axle from the 87 (also drums ) with the new Founders' track bar and LCA's and all new hardware, so that I don't have to play the find-my-speedo gears game. I haven't installed the sway bar in the rear yet. I also plan on pulling out the front suspension and swapping it completely between the 87 and the 88 as I have new struts, strut bearing caps, poly bushings, ball joints, and springs. The engine that is going into the car is the LH0 3.1 V6 that I rebuilt out of the 87 with L82 cylinder heads and intake (should be good for about a 40# weight loss and about 70 HP over stock), and, as such, I plan on using Moog 5658 front springs for a small drop (FWD guys like these).

My question is, I bought a set of (IIRC) 36mm and 24mm sway bars with matching poly bushings to put on the 87, which had the smallest bars available. Am I wasting my time thinking about swapping the bars in (well, in the front, anyways, there isn't one for the rear ATM) and should I just plan on swapping in the poly bushings with the new end links? Is there any difference between the base suspension and the FE2 other than the springs, shocks (going with stock replacements but I do have a pair of Monroe SensaTraks on the GU4 axle that I think may have replaced the Delco Bilsteins that were there originally that were stuffed in the back of the car with the rest of the junk), and sway bars that I should know about?

And yes, I have searched... Just looking for something a little bit clearer here... I may have posted this in the wrong place... Feel free to move it.

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 04-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.