History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Some observations from commuting in a Crossfire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: '82 Recaro T/A, '71 Trans Am
Engine: 305CFI/455HO
Transmission: TH700R4/M22
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42
Re: Some observations from commuting in a Crossfire.

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
What accounted for the 10 HP difference between 82 and 83?
Revised ECM/ESC system and slight adjustment of the PROM calibration. There are no physical hardware differences between '82 and '83 engines.

The Ford Mustang GT went from 157HP in '82 to 175 HP in '83 and GM couldn't let them have the advantage.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 584 Likes on 402 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by Dens71TA
Revised ECM/ESC system and slight adjustment of the PROM calibration. There are no physical hardware differences between '82 and '83 engines.

The Ford Mustang GT went from 157HP in '82 to 175 HP in '83 and GM couldn't let them have the advantage.
So my car has the "hot" factory tune.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

Originally Posted by Dens71TA
How about the Corvette CFI application? Did any of the 80?-84 CFI vettes have a decent program that could be used on the LU5? Also, could the ecm or tune from the '84 vette with the 4+3 trans be used in an F-body? Being able to compare factory CFI tunes would be a huge help if someone were to decide to put a T5 behind an LU5. I'm a total CFI noob, but I do find it interesting and would like to play with it some time.

Originally Posted by chazman
So my car has the "hot" factory tune.
would really be "hot" with a mild 350 under a CFI setup with a T5. I'm sorry I'm a monster and can't leave things alone....
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 - full intake & exhaust boltons
Transmission: Bowtie 700r4, 2400 rpm stall
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9bolt, 3.45 gears, posi

Have any of you guys driven an LG4, L69, and LU5 car before? How is the difference in performance between those three. I have my IROC that I have modified some and want to do some more. One day I would like have a mint, 100% stock condition red/silver 1984 L69 Z28. I've always liked that car.

I saw and old episode of T.J. Hooker on t.v. last week. It had the same kind of car that I want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsZgZYHTMU
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by yaj15
Have any of you guys driven an LG4, L69, and LU5 car before? How is the difference in performance between those three. I have my IROC that I have modified some and want to do some more. One day I would like have a mint, 100% stock condition red/silver 1984 L69 Z28. I've always liked that car.

I saw and old episode of T.J. Hooker on t.v. last week. It had the same kind of car that I want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsZgZYHTMU
L69 was the fastest out of those three. And even though the LU5 had more power and was faster than the LG4, alot of the performance enthusiasts of the day still preferred the LG4, (before the L69 was available). The reason for that was, that it was available with a stick, 4 speed in '82 and 5 speed in '83, and the LU5 wasn't. Also, folks felt more comfortable modding a carbed smallblock rather than the misunderstood Crossfire.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Ahh I see. I figured that. Couldn't you also order steeper gears with the LG4 as compaired to the LU5?

When I was 17 I got my IROC, I had it for the past 11 years. When I was looking at buying Camaros I knew I wanted a Z28 or an IROC. Back then I looked at a lot of '83 and '84 Z28's. I also looked at a lot of '85-'86 IROC's and Z28's.

Many of those early Z28's were LG4. The '85-'86 IROC's that I looked at were tpi while the '85-'86 Z28's I looked at were LG4's. All of those were automatics. Someone did have an L69 '84 Z28 5-speed for sale in my neighboorhood at that time too. It sold quick.

I've only seen one other LU5 car in person? There is an all stock brown '83 Z28 in town with the LU5. It even still has the dual muffler factory exhaust. Its not in very good shape now though. I would like to get it if I had the money.

L69 was the fastest out of those three. And even though the LU5 had more power and was faster than the LG4, alot of the performance enthusiasts of the day still preferred the LG4, (before the L69 was available). The reason for that was, that it was available with a stick, 4 speed in '82 and 5 speed in '83, and the LU5 wasn't. Also, folks felt more comfortable modding a carbed smallblock rather than the misunderstood Crossfire.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

Third Gen in a dealer showroom in that link!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire
Transmission: Auto

I had a bone stock L69 5 speed '84 Z28 with 3.73s in the late 80s. A buddy of mine had an '84 Z28 5-speed as well, but his had the LG4 and 3.23 gears. We obviously didn't have access to a dyno back then, but I can say my L69 was quicker and the LG4 "felt" slow in comparison. A lot slower.

As I recall, my buddy broke a tooth on the ring gear and changed out the rear end with a 3.73, which really changed the character of his car. I can't remember if he made any other mods to his car, but it seems like he added a bigger exhaust, comparable to the L69, which also helped. He may have changed out his cam as well, but it was a long time ago. I believe my L69 was still faster, but after his mods our two cars were pretty reasonably close performance wise.

I remember my L69 being a screamer and a blast to drive. It was a quick car for its day and truly one car I would love to have again. However, it was a midwest car with a lot of rust (and that was well before it hit 10 years old). I'm sure it has since been junked out.

I now have an LU5 but it's not running properly and it's been 20 years since I had my L69, so it's probably not fair to compare. That said, against my L69 and my friends LG4 the LU5 feels like a boat anchor. Once I get it rebuilt, I'll have a better sense of what it is really supposed to be like.

It could also be that most modern performance cars (fouth gen Camaros, GTOs, etc.) have more than twice the power from the factory than the early third gens had, which skews the comparison even more. Having driven two stock V8 fourth gens (one LT1 and one LS1) for the last decade and a half, it's understandable my LU5 would feel slow.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Thats a good comparison. From what I have read back in the day the L69 was a good engine for its time. Especially with a 5-speed and 3.73 gears.

Originally Posted by FormerL69
I had a bone stock L69 5 speed '84 Z28 with 3.73s in the late 80s. A buddy of mine had an '84 Z28 5-speed as well, but his had the LG4 and 3.23 gears. We obviously didn't have access to a dyno back then, but I can say my L69 was quicker and the LG4 "felt" slow in comparison. A lot slower.

As I recall, my buddy broke a tooth on the ring gear and changed out the rear end with a 3.73, which really changed the character of his car. I can't remember if he made any other mods to his car, but it seems like he added a bigger exhaust, comparable to the L69, which also helped. He may have changed out his cam as well, but it was a long time ago. I believe my L69 was still faster, but after his mods our two cars were pretty reasonably close performance wise.

I remember my L69 being a screamer and a blast to drive. It was a quick car for its day and truly one car I would love to have again. However, it was a midwest car with a lot of rust (and that was well before it hit 10 years old). I'm sure it has since been junked out.

I now have an LU5 but it's not running properly and it's been 20 years since I had my L69, so it's probably not fair to compare. That said, against my L69 and my friends LG4 the LU5 feels like a boat anchor. Once I get it rebuilt, I'll have a better sense of what it is really supposed to be like.

It could also be that most modern performance cars (fouth gen Camaros, GTOs, etc.) have more than twice the power from the factory than the early third gens had, which skews the comparison even more. Having driven two stock V8 fourth gens (one LT1 and one LS1) for the last decade and a half, it's understandable my LU5 would feel slow.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by FormerL69

A good running LU5 will probably split the difference between a stock LG4 and a stock L69.

But we need to keep our cars in perspective and appreciate them for what they are. Even modern family sedans will give even the faster versions of our cars, a run for their money.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

Car: 1991 Camaro RS B4C
Engine: 5.7 TPI Crate Motor
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
How about the Corvette CFI application? Did any of the 80?-84 CFI vettes have a decent program that could be used on the LU5? Also, could the ecm or tune from the '84 vette with the 4+3 trans be used in an F-body? Being able to compare factory CFI tunes would be a huge help if someone were to decide to put a T5 behind an LU5. I'm a total CFI noob, but I do find it interesting and would like to play with it some time.

would really be "hot" with a mild 350 under a CFI setup with a T5. I'm sorry I'm a monster and can't leave things alone....

Im on your side with this one. Im trying to talk Charlie into letting you do that T-5 swap and a 3.73 gear. I helped him out the day he bought that car and I'll tell you after all the work he's put into that thing its a different car. He already has his show car (the 89) and a cruiser (the 85) and I keep telling him to make the 83 the way he would have wanted it built in 83 if he could have what ever he wanted. He shouldnt touch the 89 at all and the 85 has such low mileage and runs like a top he should just work out the few minor bugs out on that one and mod up the 83. I know he'll never do a 350 (even though that would be cool as hell especially if it looks factory under the hood). I think if he does a t-5/3.73 swap, bigger brakes and a ported intake he'll be very happy. Right now its a fun car but that would be icing on the cake.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 camaro z28, 1981 honda cb650
Engine: Lu5 305 crossfire v8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.93

What were they thinking putting a 2.93 in the rear anyway? how the heck is that performance? I thought it was a hot car back in its day, but three months later and the l69 kicks the crap out of it
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by steves
Im on your side with this one. Im trying to talk Charlie into letting you do that T-5 swap and a 3.73 gear. I know he'll never do a 350 (even though that would be cool as hell especially if it looks factory under the hood). I think if he does a t-5/3.73 swap, bigger brakes and a ported intake he'll be very happy. Right now its a fun car but that would be icing on the cake.
The 350 is probably overkill for what he wants, but if the 305 ever gets tired, it would be cool to put a 'vette spec crossfire 350 in it with some mild tweaks such as teh '113 heads and some intake work. With a mild cam, 10.5:1 compression and a ported intake it would be a fantastic sleeper that would still be efficient. Much more realistic is the T5 swap, although I have to admit I'd need to do more CFI tuning research before I'd be ready for a factory-like swap at Charlie's level.

Originally Posted by tlandoe
What were they thinking putting a 2.93 in the rear anyway? how the heck is that performance? I thought it was a hot car back in its day, but three months later and the l69 kicks the crap out of it
the 2.93 was likely for mileage and because it was suited to the low RPM nature of the CFI setup. Putting a 3.73 gear behind an engine that doesn't want to rev isn't wise.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

The 350 is probably overkill for what he wants, but if the 305 ever gets tired, it would be cool to put a 'vette spec crossfire 350 in it with some mild tweaks such as teh '113 heads and some intake work. With a mild cam, 10.5:1 compression and a ported intake it would be a fantastic sleeper that would still be efficient. Much more realistic is the T5 swap, although I have to admit I'd need to do more CFI tuning research before I'd be ready for a factory-like swap at Charlie's level.

the 2.93 was likely for mileage and because it was suited to the low RPM nature of the CFI setup. Putting a 3.73 gear behind an engine that doesn't want to rev isn't wise.
Im for the 350 too, but I driven that car many times and it runs pretty good. Good point on the gear is a 3.23 or 3.42 too much??? I had a 6.6 T/A with a 4 spd and it had a 3.42 red line was like 5k if I remember I think thats the redline on a CFI. Can't see it being much different than tuning a manual LO3 or a manual CFI Corvette....but then again I dont have a clue about tuning.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I got your PM. Very few mods on my LU5. Basically did all of the Crossfire stuff. Tightened down the upper intake bolts and TB bolts, I had a massive vacuum leak there. Cleaned up/lubed the gunked IACs which were stuck in one position, set the TPS which was way off, cleaned out the very carboned up TBs, stuff like that. I replaced the clogged airfilters with K&Ns, bumped the intial timing by about 6* and re-did the exhaust. I used L69 exhaust manifolds, into 2.25 pipes, Y'd into a 3" exhaust. Also, my 700R4 has a Corvette servo and Corvette governor. The governor gives me WOT 1-2 shifts at 5500 RPM.

I'm no fan of the 2.93 gears, but I agree with Jeremy, 3.73 would be too much. I think a 3.23/3.42/3.45 would be just right.

I think a 3.42 gear would make that car fly.

Last edited by chazman; 04-16-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Gotcha so pretty stock. Mine has the l69 manifolds in it too, but I have a regular l69 y pipe
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

I got your PM. Very few mods on my LU5. Basically did all of the Crossfire stuff. Tightened down the upper intake bolts and TB bolts, I had a massive vacuum leak there. Cleaned up/lubed the gunked IACs which were stuck in one position, set the TPS which was way off, cleaned out the very carboned up TBs, stuff like that. I replaced the clogged airfilters with K&Ns, bumped the intial timing by about 6* and re-did the exhaust. I used L69 exhaust manifolds, into 2.25 pipes, Y'd into a 3" exhaust. Also, my 700R4 has a Corvette servo and Corvette governor. The governor gives me WOT 1-2 shifts at 5500 RPM.

I'm no fan of the 2.93 gears, but I agree with Jeremy, 3.73 would be too much. I think a 3.23/3.42/3.45 would be just right.

Just do it!!! You wont regret it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

It depends on the trans you use. The 2.93s would rip with a V6 trans that has the deep 1st gear. My 2.73 geared 91 TA with swirl port headed and LT1 cammed LB9 would powerslide and get all kinds of angry in 1st gear if you got on it. I'd say it was a solid mid 14sec car. People say the V6 box is weaker, but lets face it, we're dealing with a mild 305 powered car on street tires. As long as powershifting is not part of the deal, you'll be fine. I got pretty rough with mine on occasion including once on the Power Tour last year when I dumped the clutch at about 3krpm in 1st gear and the car was so loaded down with luggage, food, coolers, ice etc. it squated down and dead hooked and just bogged down LOL. That should have broken it if it was going to break and it was fine.

With the taller ratio of a WC box I'd recommend a 3.42 gear so you're not lugging in 5th at 50mph.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

It depends on the trans you use. The 2.93s would rip with a V6 trans that has the deep 1st gear. My 2.73 geared 91 TA with swirl port headed and LT1 cammed LB9 would powerslide and get all kinds of angry in 1st gear if you got on it. I'd say it was a solid mid 14sec car. People say the V6 box is weaker, but lets face it, we're dealing with a mild 305 powered car on street tires. As long as powershifting is not part of the deal, you'll be fine. I got pretty rough with mine on occasion including once on the Power Tour last year when I dumped the clutch at about 3krpm in 1st gear and the car was so loaded down with luggage, food, coolers, ice etc. it squated down and dead hooked and just bogged down LOL. That should have broken it if it was going to break and it was fine.

With the taller ratio of a WC box I'd recommend a 3.42 gear so you're not lugging in 5th at 50mph.

In a perfect world, a WC T5 with a 3.42 gear would be just about right. But retaining the 2.93 gear makes the V6 ratios more attractive I think.

The V6 ratios are 3.50/2.14/1.30/1.0. WC are 2.95/1.94/1.34/1.0. There would be a slightly bigger RPM drop off between gears with a V6/2.93 combo, but probably not too bad.

Anyway, I've got to figure out why I'm getting such crappy mileage. I filled it up today and calculated slightly under 12 MPG in mixed driving. I do put my foot in it now and then, but not that bad. This car should be knocking down some better numbers. I did notice a slight dribble from the TBs last time I looked. Maybe my coolant temp sensor isn't up to snuff either. It probably isn't fond of the E10 gas we're forced to use around here either...

Last edited by chazman; 04-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

In a perfect world, a WC T5 with a 3.42 gear would be just about right. But retaining the 2.93 gear makes the V6 ratios more attractive I think.

The V6 ratios are 3.50/2.14/1.30/1.0. WC are 2.95/1.94/1.34/1.0. There would be a slightly bigger RPM drop off between gears with a V6/2.93 combo, but probably not too bad.

Anyway, I've got to figure out why I'm getting such crappy mileage. I filled it up today and calculated slightly under 12 MPG in mixed driving. I do put my foot in it now and then, but not that bad. This car should be knocking down some better numbers. I did notice a slight dribble from the TBs last time I looked. Maybe my coolant temp sensor isn't up to snuff either. It probably isn't fond of the E10 gas we're forced to use around here either...

Wow im proud of you. Your actually driving it in a regular basis. With over 100K and it being almost 30 years old dont you think you should get the throttle bodies freshened up (port the intake LOL) and go over the ignition system?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Unless he bought it with less than 30k on it, chances are that's already been done. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my CFI car with 88000 miles on it and not exactly pampered had perfectly condition TB's
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Unless he bought it with less than 30k on it, chances are that's already been done. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my CFI car with 88000 miles on it and not exactly pampered had perfectly condition TB's

My TBs still spray a nice cone pattern and look well synchronized. But I did notice them dribbling a teeny bit recently. Don't even know if that's even significant.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM

could be a clogged fuel injector.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Wow im proud of you. Your actually driving it in a regular basis. With over 100K and it being almost 30 years old dont you think you should get the throttle bodies freshened up (port the intake LOL) and go over the ignition system?
Still UNDER 100K....
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

could be a clogged fuel injector.
Could be, but I've run plenty of Seafoam through it.

Last edited by chazman; 04-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM

tried b12 chemtool?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

tried b12 chemtool?
I was going to try that. It's a bit stronger than Seafoam....
Old 04-18-2012, 02:08 PM

My fuel injector was clogged in such a way that it squirted out sideways! lol I put some chemtool in a bucket and soaked my whole injector tower in it. Good as new!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The Third Generation Firebirds were extremely well designed from an aerodynamic standpoint. You're right,you can drive with the windows down and not be blown to bits,or endure unreasonable amounts of noise and with the windows up the cars are remarkably quiet inside even at highway speeds.

I also like the sound produced by the original dual exhaust setup.It produces a tough as nails rumble,but isnt overbearingly loud to the point of being obnoxious like most aftermarket setups I've heard.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

My fuel injector was clogged in such a way that it squirted out sideways! lol I put some chemtool in a bucket and soaked my whole injector tower in it. Good as new!
So you removed your injector and soaked it.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM

yep but it was an extreme case, if it's not a huge deal, I'd just run it in your gas
Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM

yep. Gotta be careful not to ruin the gaskets though, they're kinda small
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Isn't that the same trans they put in the S-10? I would imagine it would be strong enough to handle the power of a CFI. Should be easier to find/cheaper than a WC box too. Then he can just keep the 2.93's and it should take off like a bat outta hell and get good MPG's for his commute.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Isn't that the same trans they put in the S-10? I would imagine it would be strong enough to handle the power of a CFI. Should be easier to find/cheaper than a WC box too. Then he can just keep the 2.93's and it should take off like a bat outta hell and get good MPG's for his commute.
The S10 box, had even steeper gears that the 3.50 1st gear of the V6 unit. I don't think the S10 T5 were torque rated much above the common 260 ft lbs. The WC T5 had a 300 ft lbs rating.

I've found a NWC early V8 T5, with a cable clutch locally, but I think it's missing a bellhousing, pedals and shifter.

Last edited by chazman; 04-19-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

The S10 box, had even steeper gears that the 3.50 1st gear of the V6 unit. I don't think the S10 T5 were torque rated much above the common 260 ft lbs. The WC T5 had a 300 ft lbs rating.

I've found a NWC early V8 T5, with a cable clutch locally, but I think it's missing a bellhousing, pedals and shifter.

Whats the v6 torque rating?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Whats the v6 torque rating?
I think all the NWC ones are rated at around 260. But unless I found a deal I couldn't refuse, I think I'd rather go with a later one for the hydraulic clutch and other refinements.

Last edited by chazman; 04-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

If you're serious about this I'll contact a guy near here that parts thirdgens. He often gets nice WC T5s and will sell swap kits complete for a very fair price. 92RS(real slow) and I have dealt with him quite a bit and he's been more than fair. I'll drop him a line when you're ready and have him let me know next time he gets a nice complete setup.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned

DO IT!!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

If you're serious about this I'll contact a guy near here that parts thirdgens. He often gets nice WC T5s and will sell swap kits complete for a very fair price. 92RS(real slow) and I have dealt with him quite a bit and he's been more than fair. I'll drop him a line when you're ready and have him let me know next time he gets a nice complete setup.
Let's say that I'm in at around 80% right now. Enough to peruse parts locally and think about what I'd want from it.

When I get closer to 100% I'll have you contact your guy, Jeremy. Actually, I'd already be at 100%, I'm just not sure that this is the car I'd want to invest all that into. But maybe it is???
Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

i have modified '84 vette crossfire 350 in mine along
with 700r4 and 3.42 posi-3.42 works really nice with
my combo I love commuting in mine on nice days
having all that torque on hand can come in handy when
you need to grab a gap in traffic etc.Anyone elso get
exhaust sound compliments or burnout requests from
drive thru servers?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

It turned new this morning!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Banned

It turned new this morning!

Nice. How new does it feel??
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM

I need to get one of those speedos
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I need to get one of those speedos
I've got the original paperwork on the car. The 140 mph speedo was dealer installed before delivery. Also dealer installed at the same time were those clear plastic headlight covers, (like on the Z28E) and foglights - but neither of those came with the car.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

'82s have the million mile odo-will be a while before
mine is "new"again,only about 1/4 the way there so
far
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Let's say that I'm in at around 80% right now. Enough to peruse parts locally and think about what I'd want from it.

When I get closer to 100% I'll have you contact your guy, Jeremy. Actually, I'd already be at 100%, I'm just not sure that this is the car I'd want to invest all that into. But maybe it is???
Find a nice complete WC T5 swap and put it in that yellow IROC.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Nice. How new does it feel??
Well, if I ever put it on ebay, I can say, "Odometer indicates 42 miles. (may be 100,042)"
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

The more I drive it, the more I think I want to put the stock springs back on.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

The more I drive it, the more I think I want to put the stock springs back on.
What's on it now? does it have lowering springs? If you want the stance and decent ride I'd cut half coil off all 4 stock springs....
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

What's on it now? does it have lowering springs? If you want the stance and decent ride I'd cut half coil off all 4 stock springs....

When I got the car, the rear shocks were leaking and shot. One thing lead to another and I found a great deal on a Tokico strut/shock/spring package. The springs lower the car about 2". It has a nice stance and generally decent ride, but it's pretty rough over choppy pavement. It's worse when the car is loaded with a passenger.

Quick Reply: Some observations from commuting in a Crossfire.