History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Literature help for shade tree DIY restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0L LG4 305ci
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.73
Literature help for shade tree DIY restoration

I'm not a mechanic, nor have I studied the profession. I have a 1983 Camaro Z28 that I am looking to repair and restore. I plan on restoring it to its former glory. I'm not planning on going to extensive and taking the body or anything like that, just shade tree mechanic stuff. I would like to know if you guys have any suggestions on guides for repairs, restoration, engine and carb rebuilds. I'm also thinking of updating the suspension, so something on that would help too. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 AM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Re: Literature help for shade tree DIY restoration

Originally Posted by Crowe
I'm not a mechanic, nor have I studied the profession. I have a 1983 Camaro Z28 that I am looking to repair and restore. I plan on restoring it to its former glory. I'm not planning on going to extensive and taking the body or anything like that, just shade tree mechanic stuff. I would like to know if you guys have any suggestions on guides for repairs, restoration, engine and carb rebuilds. I'm also thinking of updating the suspension, so something on that would help too. Thanks.

just search this place there answers for everything here.....
Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM

I know. There really is tons of information here. I think this is one of the more informative websites on any make or model of automobile I've seen. I'm just looking for books so I can have step-by-step processes right there in front of me. I'm not always in a position where I can use a computer (which is odd in this day and age). I want to do this and educate myself at the same time.

I've heard that Chilton's books are a good source.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 263 Likes on 188 Posts

The Chilton manuals are cheap but they don't provide all information. You might want to look into the factory GM Service Manuals. They are more expensive, but they are what the dealerships would have used as they contain step by step instructions for removal/installation as well as some troubleshooting.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by JT
The Chilton manuals are cheap but they don't provide all information. You might want to look into the factory GM Service Manuals. They are more expensive, but they are what the dealerships would have used as they contain step by step instructions for removal/installation as well as some troubleshooting.
Thanks. I will definitely look into the factory service manuals. So long as it helps me learn and get the job done efficiently and correctly, I am not terribly worried about the price.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

The GM/Helms service manual is the best available. But if you've never picked up a wrench before, it might be hard to follow. The Haynes or Chiltons manuals are cheaper, usually available locally, and are written more for the uninitiated.

You might check your local library and see what they might have on the shelf. That way you can see what the manuals look like before you part with hard earned money.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
The GM/Helms service manual is the best available. But if you've never picked up a wrench before, it might be hard to follow. The Haynes or Chiltons manuals are cheaper, usually available locally, and are written more for the uninitiated.

You might check your local library and see what they might have on the shelf. That way you can see what the manuals look like before you part with hard earned money.
I've done a bit of work before and I know basic stuff, so I'm guessing the GM manuals are probably my best bet. I can check libraries for such manuals to get more acquainted. Honestly, thanks for the help and, I really do appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for the original sales brochure for the '83 I have them as I deal in Car literature, it would run you $5 plus $3.35 for shipping...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

I second the GM manuals. I have one for my camaro and its got EVERYTHING in it you could need. I lucked out and it was in the rear comp when I got the car. You can find them on ebay from time to time.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for all the help. I purchased and just received my GM shop manual. Found it on Ebay, complete and in good nick, for a really low price. It's just what I need. Again, thanks. Let the glory be restored!