History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Appreciation of Stock Condition

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Appreciation of Stock Condition

I know everyone is different with different tastes and opinions about cars, that's what is great about our hobby. I am one of those that lean towards stock and originality. I love seeing the "time capsule" cars at the shows, the older the better. Not counting full blown restorations, it is honestly harder to keep a car original than it is to slap on a bunch of aftermarket chrome parts and wheels. So, that's how I have kept my car and hopefully some of you will appreciate that. It's almost 20 years old now and still has most all of it's original (date coded) hoses and parts. And, with the exception of a "scuff and shoot" 5 years ago and the exhaust it is pretty much stock/original. Here is a pic from last night's cruise-in.
Attached Thumbnails Appreciation of Stock Condition-bird-2011.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4
Re: Appreciation of Stock

i agree... not that my car is original, but I bought v6 rs so I could be creative with it without screwing up a real collectors car.

my other project is a real challenge... that one is 100% stock, which is hard because it's a 53 year old car.

http://ourimpala.com
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 583 Likes on 401 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Stock never goes out of style....
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

I appreciate stock cars alot more than modified ones. I do like both, I just prefer to see mint stock examples, things the way they were meant to be. I've done my best to not modify mine, but I've lost a few times. It's my nature to tweak a little. Regardless, it's still all documented and about 90% original. I kept anything that ever came off of it, even if it couldn't be used again. The one exception and regret I have though, is that I threw away a set of original spark plug wires that was on the car when I bought it thinking that they were some way back outdated and discontinued aftermarket brand. I might have done the same to the cap and rotor. I don't think the plugs were stock. After that though, never again!

Does anyone recall the name of those wires?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice car, OP. Good to see a clean original once in a while. Mileage?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

In my case I will modify my car, but it could be put back to stock at anytime with out a lot of effort.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Very nice, ShowNGo. I started as an 'original' guy, but the excitement of modification soon consumed me (though I must say that my car still looks absolutely stock until the hood is opened or it's put up on a rack).

JamesC
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Many
Engine: Several
Transmission: Automatics

i like stock items. if i had a 3rd gen camaro it would have iroc wheels, or 16" 91-91 wheels. period. i like them best. im not into dubs or even after market wheels in general. stock ground effects, stock hoods, nothing that looks out of place.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Car: 85 marrow z28, 88 thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 305 4bbl, 302 cobra efi
Transmission: 700r4, aod
Axle/Gears: the crappy one

I like stock styling also, but my mods can be easily switched back.

Leds in the lighting is far from stock looks-wise, but I figure if it wakes some moron up before they plow me then they do in fact keep the car valuable lol

I am slowly restoring mine, I'm staying stock GM but using RPO items that are not original to my vin. Not quite untouched, but not aftermarket and flashy either.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I thought I was going to have to lock this because of the title. What does the fact that you stock portfolio has increased over the years have to do with 3rd gens?

Not sure if you can tell by looking at my car (not my sig pic), but I'm sort of into the stock/original thing myself!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

I fall somewhere inbetween i guess. I like the look of stock cars...but like the power and handling of modded ones. So i like it when people put both of those together..keeping it looking stockish on the outside but modded under the skin. Mine is somewhat of a hodgepodge that "might" be mistaken for stock by a novice but in reality its pretty damn modded (will be by the end of the winter).

I love stock iroc wheels too and still think they are the best looking wheels for the camaros.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62

I've been fortunate to have the luxury to do both stock and modded. Other than an early 90s CD player installed by the previous owner, my IROC is 100% original except for the battery and tires (kept the original tires though). Other than another early 90s CD player, my Trans Am will stay stock throughout the restoration process...(although, I have an urge for some 86-87 correct mods, like crosslace gunmetal wheels, a screaming chicken the car didn't come with, and potentially a body-color spoiler versus my shot rubberized one).

Conversely, the RS rolls on 17s, has headers, a big system, and is about to get a 3.42 posi and some handling mods...not to mention some other bolt ons. I tend to lean towards stock as well, so for me to be happy I had to have more than one!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI

Nice to see others like the stock older rides. PUMA, it has almost 125K miles. I have had it 13 years this month and for the first 5-6 years it was my daily driver and I racked up alot of miles, not knowing I'd end up keeping it all these years. It had 40K on it when I bought it in 1998, and was one owner at that time. When I bought it no one had ever sat in the back and I actually have the original mats still in great shape in the back now. I have posted pics in earlier posts of my date coded original hoses, she is almost a time capsule, especially with the mileage and the fact I don't have a garage and never have with this car. It has been the best car I've ever owned.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

She's a beaut' for sure.

I am a fan of stock/stockish rides myself, but I notice I only care for stock rides when the cars are older. When it's a new car, stock is just plain boring to me, because everyone has one on every corner. But once they hit a certain age, stock is gorgeous.

Although, some things just have to be done away with, like the horrendous fenderwell gap.

Last edited by puma1552; 02-28-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Very nice bird. i am truly moved to see so many people truly appreciate the 3rd gen F-body.

My IROC Beast is a show quality, fully stock bodied, completely optimized high performance model. I worked on these cars so long and studied them and their development very thoroughly. 11 years and several million dollars was spent developing what would be the muscle car that redefined the muscle car.

In building mine, I worked to create what I believe the original design team intended the car to be, before the NTSA and GM beancounters got hold of it. Did you know that your car, almost exactly as it appears in your photos, holds the stock body land speed record of over 300MPH? Of course that was with a 1,400hp engine, but totally stock body. BTW, those were Packard wires.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 473 Likes on 291 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

Stock here, 45k miles an all original except tires and the normal wear and tear items.

Been tempted by the the devil (the mod devil that is) to upgrade the exhaust, get 16" IROC rims and tires and maybe change the rear end from 3.08 to maybe 3.42's.

But the good angel on my other shoulder has said to keep it stock.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 AM
On Probation
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Re: Appreciation of Stock Condition

I also like the stock showroom look! Esp. in a 3rd gen cam/bird.
WHY?
Most mods in a 3rd gen go horribly wrong and make the car look terrible
thus the typical "trailer park trash junker" label and opinions the "toaster"
drivers label us with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so glad to find my Z completely factory stock and untouched !
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Car: '95 Impala SS
Engine: 350/LT1
Transmission: (Sold my '89 Formula 350)

Originally Posted by IROCZTWENTYGR8
I threw away a set of original spark plug wires that was on the car when I bought it thinking that they were some way back outdated and discontinued aftermarket brand. I might have done the same to the cap and rotor. I don't think the plugs were stock. After that though, never again!

Does anyone recall the name of those wires?
If original, they may have had "Packard" lettering on them, hence your suspicion they were aftermarket wires. Packard Wire made OEM wires for GM for many, many years. My aunt & uncle retired from there in Ohio.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Packard wires are only found on OE GM products. Even at the dealer level, replacements are AC Delco. Ive never tried to order Packard wires. Don't know if it's possible. You might try to seek them out on the net.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by sonjaab
WHY?

I was so glad to find my Z completely factory stock and untouched !
I agree. Most modded 3rd gens I see look absolutely horrible.

It's very rarely that you'll see them tastefully done like JamesC's IROC or JasonE's RS.

Last edited by chazman; 03-01-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Originally Posted by chazman
I agree. Most modded 3rd gens I see look absolutely horrible.

It's very rarely that you'll see them tastefully done like JamesC's IROC or JasonE's RS.
The problem with most modded third gens is that the quality of the mods, and the zeal for which they are done, is absolutely pathetic. Ugly wheels (we seem to go from 15" Cragar S/Ss with white lettered tires to rollin' on 20s, with nothing in between), 4th gen cues (TA spoilers and Ram Air hoods, to name a couple) that take away from the purity and era of the design, crazy graphics, eBay "racing" seats and steering wheels, ugly aftermarket gagues tacked everywhere, blue-light-special Jensen CD players with 2 Rockford 12s in the well and the amp drilled through the gas tank, etc....

There is no pride in the details. When it comes to mods, I realize the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it amazes me with the sheer cheapness of the stuff people tack onto these cars. I have gone out of my way with my car to avoid impulsively throwing on an SS-style hood and/or racing stripes. To me, the stock look is so clean, why mess with it? Look on the inside...other than a Pro 5.0 shifter, and "RS" logo embroidered floormats, the only other mod is a late-model Alpine CD player. Simple, clean, and functional. A new carpet and headliner mean it looks and smells good. The original leather seats are certainly a little dry and stiff, but they still feel good and I spent over $200 just to have the driver's seat repaired/restuffed etc. Sure, 4th gen seats were easier, but took away from the original style in my opinion.

Open the trunk, and all hell breaks loose I'm in the process of making a custom fiberglass box to house my 12" Eclipse Aluminum sub. Also in the luggage well is an American made, Xtant Amp, in its polished stainless beauty.

Under the hood, a simple Edelbrock aluminum intake, open element air cleaner, and STB are all there is that deviate from the stock look. No gaudy, painted alternators or chrome everywhere, no 87 different stickers for every damned aftermarket part on the car. Simple...not elegant, because after all, it is a muscle car. But here, nothing detracts from what the car was/is.

Underneath, I'm going to go all-out. Adding to the SFCs that are already on it, I will be spending a lot of money with either Hotchkiss or Spohn for suspension goodies. Bilsteins at all 4 corners. I will be converting to OEM rear discs at some point, and will upgrade with good-quality slotted rotors. Then for rolling stock, I'll keep my polished TT2s, and add BRAND NAME, GOOD QUALITY rubber. My BFG KDWSs are getting a little thin. Nothing ticks me off more than seeing cheap, no-name, knock off rubber on a performance car.

Its one guy's idea of what works for mods, but c'mon...lets keep it classy, gentlemen.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

Originally Posted by JamesC
Very nice, ShowNGo. I started as an 'original' guy, but the excitement of modification soon consumed me (though I must say that my car still looks absolutely stock until the hood is opened or it's put up on a rack).

JamesC
I'm on the same boat with you James. I love the looks of my LT in and out. But when I saw those Firehawk Ronal R15's they had to go on my car. Modifications for me have been to improve the vehicle in the sense of minor performance and safety. Such as with larger tires and wheels, 1LE brakes, beefier 1LE suspension, factory wonderbar, better exhaust through headers and cat back system, adding four more speakers to my factory bose speakers which you cannot see. The 145 mph speedometer was something that ALL Camaro's should have had.

And....The serpentine belt system which I recently installed on my car should have been on all Camaro's too in my own opinion. But of course, I kept all old brackets, and stabalizer bars and original wheels.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

Thanks for the info on the wires guys. Those are definitely what I had and threw away unfortunately. I tried looking them up to see if there were replacements and I think all that I could find were universals.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

I like "GM original" but not nessesarily year specific for my car

I put a bowtie grill on my 89 rs, and a steering wheel from an 87 LT. Someday I'll recover my thrid gen seats and put them back in, but for now it's 4th gen for me.

I have kept the original wheels on my car, but they are black with polished highlights. Not original looking, but they look like something GM should have done, but didn't
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

My favorite look is factory-plus. I consider this a near 100% stock car with very subtle or minor mods, such as 1" drop, a tint, and maybe wheels/tires upgrades. Usually adjusting the wheels/stance on a factory car (with taste!) will just make the car pop. Plus, it's reversible.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

I've kept mine as stock as I can... (The GTA was 4 years old and fully stock when I bought it).

The only non-stock items I have are a mandrel bent cat back exhaust system, KYB shocks and gold exhaust tips (to match the rest of the gold on the GTA). I have a large CD collection and I even went as far as finding an original Delco U1A CD player so I could listen to them..

(The U1A radio was an option in 1990.. It doesn't match the RPO I have on my SPID sticker, but it is a stock option that could be ordered with the GTA back then). I've been through a few batteries in the last 20 years, and I always use Delco batteries..
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Car: 1990 rs/1986 iroc-z
Engine: Lho 3.1 v6/Lb9 5.0 v8

i got a high milage iroc that i bought from the original owner.its all stock except for the bosh spark plugs i changed to.but everything is worn. i plan to get it as close to what it was like in 86 as i can
Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KMK454
My favorite look is factory-plus. I consider this a near 100% stock car with very subtle or minor mods, such as 1" drop, a tint, and maybe wheels/tires upgrades. Usually adjusting the wheels/stance on a factory car (with taste!) will just make the car pop. Plus, it's reversible.
I agree with this. It's very easy to take a stock, low mileage car, and just lower it and put on a nice catback and call it a day.

Easily reversible, and just makes it look and sound a little better.

When I finally lowered my car I realized what a 4x4 it looked like before.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I like stock looking cars. At a car show, I'll walk right past any car that has aftermarket wheels.

The only mods I find acceptable are hidden - such as porting, valvetrain, mandrel pipes, fuel system, clutch, shocks, brake pads.

I realize that aftermarket parts are much better than stock. I just don't want to see them.

The only exception I would make for visual changes are if they are subtle enough that they would only be spotted by an expert or by a check of the SPID sticker. This might include Jim's U1A radio.

It comes right down to the fact that I trust the GM design, even if it isn't perfect. Stock cars appeal to most everyone, custom cars typically only suit the taste of the owner.

This is only a generalization, however. I've seen restomods that give me a boner. But it takes a TON of $$$ to get one that good.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I like stock looking cars. At a car show, I'll walk right past any car that has aftermarket wheels.

The only mods I find acceptable are hidden - such as porting, valvetrain, mandrel pipes, fuel system, clutch, shocks, brake pads.

I realize that aftermarket parts are much better than stock. I just don't want to see them.

The only exception I would make for visual changes are if they are subtle enough that they would only be spotted by an expert or by a check of the SPID sticker. This might include Jim's U1A radio.

It comes right down to the fact that I trust the GM design, even if it isn't perfect. Stock cars appeal to most everyone, custom cars typically only suit the taste of the owner.

This is only a generalization, however. I've seen restomods that give me a boner. But it takes a TON of $$$ to get one that good.

I'm with you. I'll literally walk by 50 modded cars at a car show, just to check out a nicely preserved or correctly restored stock looking car. All the chrome CAI's, usually gross and tasteless looking aftermarket wheels, and polished aluminum engine parts in the world won't push my buttons. But, I could talk to an owner all evening long on how he restored his engine compartment back to a bone stock look.

I love resto mods too, but as you said, that takes some cash and forethought to do properly. I also can appreciate upgrading with factory parts for a factory look. I'm planning on replacing the worn, faded interior on my '83 for example with a LS Conteur interior. But I wouldn't do it if my current interior were mint though. So I guess I might have some flex in my dogma.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I'd either want to see a car done tastefully and properly or just leave it alone.

Last edited by chazman; 03-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

I like your thoughts. I also will bypass most modified cars to find a original timeless car that someone has preserved.

1987 IROC - 350 w/39,000 original miles. Never touched.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by JamesC

JamesC
I'm with James here.

I like the stock look. However, to me there's nothing wrong with some go fast goodies hidden underneath the sheet metal.

The only major appearance modification I would consider for my car would be a nice set of Ronal R15s!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 85_ZED28

The only major appearance modification I would consider for my car would be a nice set of Ronal R15s!

not being up on the world of wheels, I had to look those up..

dang, that's probably the nicest looking aftermarket wheel I've ever seen... clean and beautiful
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.08

I tend to like stock to upgraded as well. Mine looks stock but I am going to change the headers for tubular shorty's just for the sound. That may be my only 'visible'ish mod.

For those that prefer stock: what's thoughts on SFC? I have a convertible and have been in a dilema for a while. They sound great but I hesitate since they weld in. (forget the bolt in ones)

Edit: my sig pic is outdated and I actually re-finished the stock wheels and have them on now.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire
Transmission: Auto

Great topic. I have always kept my cars stock, or if I decide to make a change (radio, etc.) I make sure the car can be easily put back to stock. No hacked sheet metal, wiring, etc. As an example, I painted the lower trim on my '84 Z (which I no longer have) black instead of the factory silver and painted my own red stripe (which started as red/orange in the front and faded to a darker red/orange as it reach the back). Here's a pic from back in the day:

As others have said, I'm much more impressed at shows where someone has kept the car as close to factory as possible and don't really care if someone has changed consumables such as tires, belts, oil filters, etc. Consumables are consumables.

Loved my '84 Z but it was a midwest car driven year round and we all kind of know how that ends up.

Randy
Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

love that look... it's very monte carlo SS... and I mean that as a compliment
Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by Dennis-Z28
For those that prefer stock: what's thoughts on SFC? I have a convertible and have been in a dilema for a while. They sound great but I hesitate since they weld in. (forget the bolt in ones)
Ya, I'm really torn on this one. I have a 2001 WS6 convertible, and it NEEDS subframe connectors. Same deal with my son's 1988 GTA w/ T-roof.

But I've held off because welding is the only way to do it properly, and that's irreversible.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Ya, I'm really torn on this one. I have a 2001 WS6 convertible, and it NEEDS subframe connectors. Same deal with my son's 1988 GTA w/ T-roof.

But I've held off because welding is the only way to do it properly, and that's irreversible.
IMHO, SFCs are one of those things I'd put on my car without giving it a second thought. The only exception would be if it was an absolutely pristine, extremely low-mileage show car.

Randy
Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 58mark
love that look... it's very monte carlo SS... and I mean that as a compliment
Thanks. Never really thought about the Monte SS look, but you're right. Regrettably, I suspect this car has rusted to death, been crushed or beaten to death. It was a screamer back in the day though. It definitely cememted my fondness for third gens.

Randy
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

I put bolt-on Alston's on my RS...been very happy with the results. For those that don't want to weld, I think they're a great option.

The best way to go on a driver-type vehicle is an Alston/BMR dual SFC setup, but that's my 2 cents...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

You can reverse SFC's... Grind the welds down, polish them back to the metal, fill the holes, etc. It's just a ton of work, and honestly no one is going to undo them unless they're damaged or the car is a concourse restoration...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by puma1552
I agree with this. It's very easy to take a stock, low mileage car, and just lower it and put on a nice catback and call it a day.

Easily reversible, and just makes it look and sound a little better.

When I finally lowered my car I realized what a 4x4 it looked like before.
Yup. And I think you're planning on putting the grid tail lights on as well, which also goes for factory plus in my book.

I would go so far as to say 1LE brakes, 91-92 GFX (assuming the car is not IROC stickered as this looks odd to me), and tasteful aftermarket wheels (think CCW or HRE or something) would still meet this criteria of factory plus.

What I think is funny is when people flip out about others doing things like this. Last I checked, my car was purchased by me, not by a committee. If I want to drive it instead of putting it in a museum then so be it.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: Turbocharged 5.7 Pro-Fl-XT
Transmission: 700R4 for moment
Axle/Gears: 3.25 9 inch

I have to agree.. For example, I'm a camaro/chevy guy but I love seeing stock 5.0 Mustangs at car shows (unmodified was rare even in 1993! LOL). Same goes for things like Grand Nationals and Sy/Ty's. Particularly the exterior appearance and stock wheels. I do like seeing fuel injection on something like a Monte Carlo SS that was only available carb'd and I like tasteful F.I. conversions to older cars. Of course I'm very partial to stock Irocs, especially Iroc wheels. To each their own, but if I see an Iroc with something other than oem wheels I don't spend much time looking. I feel like the factory "got it right" with these cars from the overall styling to the wheels.

I don't mind power adders.. nitrous, blowers or turbo as long as the engine is as stock appearing as possible. Same goes for headers, injectors, etc. Just not a big fan of total changing of the engine and injection system in something like our cars. Definitely don't like to see a carb in place of f.i. Everyone knows a stock TPI is somewhat limited without a power adder so I give that a pass. But I also like to see a completely original engine down to the a.i.r. pump in our cars.

When it comes to older cars like 57 chevy's and 69 camaros.. well there are plenty of 100% stock ones out there. I always look for turbos and rarely see them. I'm biased though - I think a turbo (or two) should be on every vehicle!

I've struck a balance on mine. On one hand my car is completely stock, on the other hand it is turbocharged! I am building/modding the engine with forged internals and aluminum heads, but it will remain a stock TPI intake, along with cruise, AC etc. My interior is 100% stock including the stereo. I wish I could say original seats, but I had to order new upholstery and it pains me to even think about those seats having the wrong material on them. Anyway I've retained as much of the factory appearance/config as possible and the car is stock quiet as well.

Last edited by ZZ3Astro; 03-29-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula

My 91 Formula is stock. I haven't even changed the radio (though I am thinking about it). I have been tempted to make a few mods, but the car is so clean I just could never do it. Lately when I have had it out ,I have heard things like "You don't see them look like they did new. Very cool!". There are so many bastardized 3rd gens out there that well kept stock ones are beginning to stand out.
Attached Thumbnails Appreciation of Stock Condition-bird.jpg  

Last edited by Brock Lee; 03-29-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Formula, '92 TA, '91 ZR-1
Engine: 350, 305, LT-5

WHY?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983 Camaro Z/28
Engine: LU5 305 CFI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: J65/G80/G92-3.23

This is a nice thread to run through. My '83 Z's exterior is completly stock save for the 16" single stripe gold accent wheels (I have the 15" set stored). She came pretty well loaded including the pwr seat and antenna. Like others i've done a few upgrades underneaths (WS6 hollow front bar,Wonderbar,WS6 rear bar Lakewood LCAs and a strut tower brace,upgraded exhaust to L69). Everything I've done can be undone since I have all the original parts. These cars are getting so few and far between in good non-hacked condition. There's a completly stock appearing blue '85 IROC that sits in a yard not far from where I live that looks sweet (fenced in yard so no close look). She's just sitting like she's waiting for someone to come home.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by coolram62
There's a completly stock appearing blue '85 IROC that sits in a yard not far from where I live that looks sweet (fenced in yard so no close look). She's just sitting like she's waiting for someone to come home.
Sounds like she waiting for you coolram, to come and save her.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I'm kinda like that. I like the exterior and interior of any car to look 100% original. However, I dislike keeping the original drive train, suspension, and other performances upgrades the same. Why should I put a 305 back in my car when I could throw in a 350?

It's like when I watch Overhaulin' or watch a Barett Jackson auction on TV and see some 40's truck that has been restored that has the original flathead in it still. I don't see the point of keeping the original motor when you could get a better motor for it.

I dislike when people do 4th gen dash swaps or change out the graphics of older cars to newer cars on this site. My car is always going to look like a 1991 Z28 on the inside and outside, but when you pop the hood it's not going to look stock.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

the reason the cars on BJ get more attention (and money) if they are original is because it's HARD restoring those cars to original shape. With my 58 Impala, It would be easy to pop in a crate engine and drive it all over the place, but it's WAY more special to have the original, numbers matching 348 under the hood. Sure, a crate 350 is a superior engine in every way, but who cares? It's not a RESTORATION if you aren't RESTORING the car to factory condition.

Go ahead and pop in that LS1 or whatever you want to do, but don't call what you're doing a restoration. At best you can call it a resto Mod.

Quick Reply: Appreciation of Stock Condition