History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

odometer ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011 | 05:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1990 firebird,1989 Iroc z,1986 fire
Engine: 3.1lt,5.7tpi,3.1mpfi
Transmission: auto,auto
Axle/Gears: 273?277
odometer ?

Not sure if this is the right place,My 89 Iroc shows 68xxx on the odometer.There are only 5 places on it,Is there any way to know if it has rolled over or is it impossible to know.I know the car sat for about 4 or 5 years.The title dosn't say anything about it having the original miles
Old 01-20-2011 | 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Many
Engine: Several
Transmission: Automatics
Re: odometer ?

no way to tell if its been rolled over.
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:05 PM

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

The only way to get anything close is to do a title search and hope the registrations had valid mileage. Many people have experienced that the registration is incorrect and added 100k miles or has removed 100k.

In Florida, when you first register a vehicle, you need to have it at the motor vehicle agency so they can verify mileage and the VIN. You could get a sheriff to do it and have them fill out a special form. The DMV here is not a place I wanted to take my IROC when I moved here so I opted for the Sheriff. I had to prove the mileage was correct because they didn't believe that the car had 11k miles on it at 16 years of age. They actually filled out the form and certified my car at 111k miles. I had to get the form corrected and validated before I left. If I didn't catch it on the spot, my records would show 111k miles when it was registered in 2003.

Not really accurate, but it might be something better than nothing.
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

What Scott said, a title search is the only way to try and confirm the mileage, to see if yours has been titled after 68k at any point in its life, or titled again at a lower mileage later than it had at an earlier point in its life.

Of course if someone kept the car through over a hundred thousand miles between titling reports, you'd never know.

I hate to say it, but your best bet at this point is carfax.

While it's much easier to tell a 10k mile car from a 110k mile car (obvious, actually), you may still be able to tell the difference between a 68k mile car and a 168k mile car; at 68k miles things should still feel relatively tight. You could always try test driving a well-maintained higher mileage car to see how it feels compared to yours if you're really unsure after looking at the title history.
Old 01-20-2011 | 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Carfax isn't a flawless record either. They make mistakes often.

Judge the car on it's true condition, rather then the mileage. The condition of the car will tell you more about it's history then the number of miles it's traveled anyway.
Old 01-21-2011 | 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
Carfax isn't a flawless record either. They make mistakes often.
Hence, the "I hate to say it, but..."

Carfax is terribly inaccurate but unfortunately it's about all there is. But like has been said, hopefully he will be able to tell the true mileage based on the way the car drives.
Old 01-21-2011 | 12:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

I really can't get behind recommending Carfax. They don't have much information on most of the 80's cars I've run. Worse yet several of the cars I've run have had bad info. For example they guarantee my 83 Camaro has a clear history even though it was rear ended, totalled, and recycled years before I ran the VIN. Another of my cars comes up with a reported mileage problem during the time I've owned the car when there's nothing wrong with any of the paperwork. The point being that it really can't be trusted and definitely isn't worth the money. I ran my cars during promotional periods, when I worked for a dealership, and when friends/family bought a license while car shopping.
Old 01-21-2011 | 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

I agree it's not very good but I suppose it's bettr than nothing...marginally.

At least for me it verified the story the original owners told, that she bought it in Iowa, drove it back and forth to Illinois every weekend the first two years, moved there and retitled it, then moved to Minnesota in '97 and put only a couple thousand miles on it those two years before I got it in '99; so for me it gave me peace of mind that they were honest about the car...but FWIW when I bought it (mom's name, I was 15), it doesn't report a new owner in MN...just a new title issued, but when we switched it to my name it recorded it as a new MN owner.

Far from accurate indeed, but probably couldn't hurt IMO. That said, I wouldn't buy a car just because it checks out on Carfax--could've been wrapped around a pole in a single car accident and fixed in a garage with junkyard parts and nobody would ever know.
Old 01-24-2011 | 11:14 PM

This car looks to be in fair shape.small holes in the back lower drivers seat,the others look good.stearing tight.dash cracked! Paint had bubbled on the hood by the vent grills.A small area behind the t-bar.other than that the paint looks good.So I don't think it has ever been totaly repainted.no evedance I have sean.Under side looks good to.front breaks calipers and flex lines had to be replaced because it sat so much they locked up and melted the rubber seal in the caliper.Motor compartment has had a few things altered.Smog stuff out,and I think the alarm has been put to rest.mouse wiring.Splised back together for now.Smokes on start up for a few seconds and clears right up.Seals and such have been wore by weather,About 4 years out side sitting for sure.good tires but not factory.wheels are 16 Iroc's.some plastic's broke but not much.Hatch works but key hole has been knocked out.spare tire is still in it.After market am,fm,cd.I think I'm only the 4th owner.I might be able to get ahold of the guy I got it from and get the other two owners numbers from him.Be my best shot probly.Thanks
Old 01-25-2011 | 12:01 AM

I guess the question is what does it matter? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything here and I understand you wanting to know but there is so many ways to fool these old cars (pre 1995). Since CARFAX did not exist when these cars were made I would not trust it or any other internet service out there. Also since these were not digital odometers I would think anyone with some time and determination could make the odometer say whatever they want it to. And if that didn't work all a person would have to do is hop on ebay and buy a different cluster and then they have different mileage right there, I have heard of many people buying an extra cluster just to avoid racking up to many miles on their original cluster mainly for warranty reasons. I am unsure how OBD2 works if they store the mileage in the ECM or not, I would assume they would because otherwise swapping clusters would still work in new cars.

I guess my question is do your plans change if this car has 68,000 miles or 168,000 miles. I'm not trying to be difficult here but I think you might be chasing a ghost here.
Old 01-27-2011 | 07:54 PM

I guess your right,I've got what I got.The parts on it have probly had more wear from sitting than frome driving anyway.Alot of people take milage into consideration when buying cars.I've seen it up on descriptions on about everything.You saying a 89Iroc-z would not be worth any more with 68xxx,than one with 168,xxx. I might have to rethink how I look at the cars I'm seeing up for sale.Thankyou for the imput.I'm learning more every day!Bobby
Old 01-27-2011 | 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

And also mistakes could happen,my wife put the TA in her name 7 yrs.ago for my dui stupidities and told them the car had 176,500 miles and it really has to this day 123,168 on it.And I guess I could go to MV and see what I could about it.
And also I bought a dash board out off an 88 TA and put that one in mine and the mileage on that is only 68,243.but I'm putting the original back in,because you can tell the difference between the two the 86 has a 140 speedometer and the 88 has a 120 or something.
Old 01-30-2011 | 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Suth
I guess your right,I've got what I got.The parts on it have probly had more wear from sitting than frome driving anyway.Alot of people take milage into consideration when buying cars.I've seen it up on descriptions on about everything.You saying a 89Iroc-z would not be worth any more with 68xxx,than one with 168,xxx. I might have to rethink how I look at the cars I'm seeing up for sale.Thankyou for the imput.I'm learning more every day!Bobby
I wouldn't say mileage is completely worthless to know, like for instance with Scott's car I don't know much about it except that it has around 11,000 original miles on it and I'm gonna assume that the car is mostly original and when I say mostly I mean that tires have probably been replaced wiper blades and most fluids, plugs and wires etc. mainly maintenance stuff. In that case his car is worth a lot more because of the miles and condition and by looking at it in person I am sure there is no way to even think that his car has more miles than that. But in your case just like mine your car needs some work and when you are done it will not be original anymore and I do plan on replacing the cluster too like many people do in a restoration. But I'm sure if you had 2 89 IROCS in almost perfect shape that the one with with 68,000 would be worth more than the one with 168,000 miles. But for the most part (as drew has also stated in many posts) condition is far more important than miles when determining value with cars this old. You can even look at 60s muscle cars if there are 2 identical cars with a perfect restoration but one has 68,000 miles and one has 168,000 miles I don't think the miles would matter that much value wise, sure if you had your choice you would probably want the one with fewer miles but really what difference would it make they are basically both brand new cars. In that case I would think more of the value would be dependent on how well the restoration was done.
Old 01-30-2011 | 03:32 PM

I can go alone with that line of thinking.