History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

SAVE OUR HOBBY II

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
SAVE OUR HOBBY II

FORWARD:
First off I would like to point out that this is a redo of a previous thread that went awry. The intention of the thread was to point out that there is a call to arms of sorts and we need to push back the agendas of those who would like to eliminate old cars from the roads.

I would like to personally apologize to those in the other thread who I may have offended unintentionally. I had deleted several posts that I had no objection to, but were not part of the problem at hand which the article poses.

Those people which I would like to sincerely apologize to are:
Drew, topduarte, musclecar70sfan, GTA50, puma1552, madmax, Dante93GTZ, matts86cam, Jason E, hardon85, Roc THIS & Brock Lee.

If you would like to PM me feel free.

I would like to state that i deleted the posts not because of any ideological reason. The posts were deleted because it was not part of the intention of the thread to help people understand where we are going and how we can keep our hobby.

-----------------
I found this article disheartening on the one hand, and then I found it of good cheer that in fact there are people and groups out there like SEMA who are fighting to save the old car hobby.

Honestly this is not an issue of whether their name has an R or D behind it. It has to do with fringe groups who manipulate and twist the arms of those with an R or D to get their way. For the most part it is those who are misguided in an attempt to save the planet, from one thing or another. At first it was R12 Freon, then it was Ozone, now its CO2. Typically how things happen is slow, and those who have the agenda of acquiring complete government control know how to manipulate the system as to get their way. Typically what happens is what is called a "nudge". There is a group of "Concerned Citizens" that get together and try to solve a problem, they go to the powers that be and try to persuade them to take action to save something, or create a law for one reason or another. A Law is passed to save this or that or make something safer, and the intention is good. Then it evolves and becomes something that it was not really intended to be, finally we are faced with an ugly beast.

Probably the most recent items where we have been nudged would be the seat belt laws or Smoking Ban Laws. Seat Belt laws are where you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt and smoking laws where some states have made it illegal to smoke any public place, IE restaurants, Bowling Ally's or Bars.. (Note that I have never smoked anything in my life)

The following is an example of a "nudge", and how things changed by simply nudging us toward a goal.

For more than 60 years seat belts were not even included in cars, it was in the early 60's when Seat belts were first introduced as an option, by 1968 the tri-point shoulder harness were added. Wearing a seat belt was not mandatory, as it was a right to simply get mangled or die from not wearing the belts. As time progressed, you found that lawmakers claimed that because of people not wearing seat belts we are faced with higher insurance premiums, because we have to help those who were stupid enough not to wear a seat belt when they got injured. So many states enacted a simple seat belt law which was only applied if you were in an accident, stopped for some other reason, speeding or running a red light as an example. At that point when you received a citation for the other infraction you would also get an extra fine for not wearing your safety belt. Eventually the law evolved and you finally end up with laws where the police can now pull you over simply for not wearing a seat belt. It is what is commonly called Mission Creep. The growth of an idea or a law which exceeds the original intent of the idea.

This is a call to action, as there are those who are slowly trying to deteriorate our rights.

The following Article was found in the December 2010 Issue of High Performance Pontiac, If you do not subscribe, I recommend it as they have had many good articles on third Gens. Even though technically I own a Camaro for only Parts I also subscribe to Camaro Performers as well.

I called a 800 number in the magazine and asked if I could post this on the site and I was told I could, as at the end of the article it states to share this with as many people as I could... So I am.

go to http://www.semasan.com/main/main.asp...ANcom/HomePage and become a member. Keep updated, its Free. When you go to their website you can get a list of where all of the legislation is in your state and how things may impact you and the future of your cars.

John