History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

SAVE OUR HOBBY! (1MB of pix inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
SAVE OUR HOBBY! (1MB of pix inside)

I found this article disheartening on the one hand, and then I found it of good cheer that in fact there are people and groups out there like SEMA who are fighting to save the old car hobby.

Honestly this is not an issue of whether their name has an R or D behind it. It has to do with fringe groups who manipulate and twist the arms of those with an R or D to get their way. For the most part it is those who are misguided in an attempt to save the planet, from one thing or another. At first it was R12 Freon, then it was Ozone, now its CO2. Typically how things happen is slow, and those who have the agenda of acquiring complete government control know how to manipulate the system as to get their way. Typically what happens is what is called a "nudge". There is a group of "Concerned Citizens" that get together and try to solve a problem, they go to the powers that be and try to persuade them to take action to save something, or create a law for one reason or another. A Law is passed to save this or that or make something safer, and the intention is good. Then it evolves and becomes something that it was not really intended to be, finally we are faced with an ugly beast.

Probably the most recent items where we have been nudged would be the seat belt laws or Smoking Ban Laws. Seat Belt laws are where you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt and smoking laws where some states have made it illegal to smoke any public place, IE restaurants, Bowling Ally's or Bars.. (Note that I have never smoked anything in my life)

The following is an example of a "nudge", and how things changed by simply nudging us toward a goal.
For more than 60 years seat belts were not even included in cars, it was in the early 60's when Seat belts were first introduced as an option, by 1968 the tri-point shoulder harness were added. Wearing a seat belt was not mandatory, as it was a right to simply get mangled or die from not wearing the belts. As time progressed, you found that lawmakers claimed that because of people not wearing seat belts we are faced with higher insurance premiums, because we have to help those who were stupid enough not to wear a seat belt when they got injured. So many states enacted a simple seat belt law which was only applied if you were in an accident, stopped for some other reason, speeding or running a red light as an example. At that point when you received a citation for the other infraction you would also get an extra fine for not wearing your safety belt. Eventually the law evolved and you finally end up with laws where the police can now pull you over simply for not wearing a seat belt. It is what is commonly called Mission Creep. The growth of an idea or a law which exceeds the original intent of the idea.

This tactic is typically used by a group of folks that believe in a "Progressive agenda". Progressives are neither R's or D's either, so lets keep things into context and keep our focus. Typically things would not happen all at one time, and Progressive thinkers know this, For example if one morning you woke up to read the headline that Free Speech is dead and you could no longer say what you wanted in the U.S.A. you would probably march to Washington DC to push back their agenda regardless of the possible implications. However if little by little they erode your right to free speech you may never realize it was happening. For example one day you learn that Burning the Flag is illegal because its distasteful, then you learn that people should not be able to burn a book because it could be construed as hateful, eventually they say that people who say bad things against a Public figure should be banned, or people that have this or that religion should not have this right or that right because its unpopular... Eventually you eliminate your right to say anything yourself. Progressive thinking is not to create a Revolution, where we all bear arms and people die because of their belief. Rather Progressives evolutionize things, so they slowly push forward two steps, and then one step back. They are always pushing for more government control over this or that, until our freedom is gone.

The following Article was found in the December 2010 Issue of High Performance Pontiac, If you do not subscribe, I recommend it as they have had many good articles on third Gens. Even though technically I own a Camaro for only Parts I also subscribe to Camaro Performers as well.

I called a 800 number in the magazine and asked if I could post this on the site and I was told I could, as at the end of the article it states to share this with as many people as I could... So I am.

go to http://www.semasan.com/main/main.asp...ANcom/HomePage and become a member. Keep updated, its Free. When you go to their website you can get a list of where all of the legislation is in your state and how things may impact you and the future of your cars.

John

Last edited by okfoz; 09-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
Re: SAVE OUR HOBBY! (1MB of pix inside)

It's hard to read the article because the type is to small. If you still have the copies I could host them for download it would be easier to read in full size.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 473 Likes on 291 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

Great article!!

Plan to pass this along to my local Camaro and Mopar club!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

The gov't can take my cars at the same time when they take my guns; when I'm dead.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

If you don't belong to SEMA, do yourself a favor and join!!! The newletter keeps everyone appraised of what's going on by state both for and against Hot Rodding and High Performance cars in general. They also name names of the politicians who are out to do away with our cars and our hobby!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro IrocZ
Engine: Holley Stealth Ram 385 Stroker
Transmission: Redline Performance 700r4 Trans
Axle/Gears: Bulletproof 4thGen Ls1 SS Rear 3.73

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
It's hard to read the article because the type is to small. If you still have the copies I could host them for download it would be easier to read in full size.
lol just zoom in the web browser ;D
Old 09-11-2010, 02:44 AM

I'm calm, dont know where you're getting that idea. Conjecture, I suppose.

I do believe the idea of "SAVE OUR HOBBY!" and getting involved with SEMA is to stop the red tape parade and the plan+purpose of our govt to forcibly "retire" our entire fleet via insane legislation rather than worry about the few fallen thirdgens from some owners who may modify them, disembowel them, or even wreck them beyond repair. The whole cash for clunkers program is a "nudge" to the next step, cash your clunkers(or else) or get some cool bracelets.

BTW I fired off a nasty letter today trying to do us a favor that will likely fall on deaf ears but the assumption that most (or any) people dont get involved is just more nonsense without true facts to back it up.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

I had a response that was really lengthy for those who really have no idea what this is about. I find it frustrating that someone can simply scan over the article and say... Eh! its not for me, or who gives a crap about third Gen's anyways. Ultimately I deleted the majority of posts because the purpose of the thread is NOT to simply state that its a futile exercise to try and save our Third Gens.

The purpose of the article is not to try and save a car model. The purpose of the article is to save a way of life. You can argue that it will never happen here. BULL-CRAP, it WILL HAPPEN HERE IF WE DO NOT PUSH BACK. The Radicals out there would very much love to see each and every car that is not 5 years of newer taken off the road. They are trying willing to PUSH their agenda by lies, deception, force and in some case VIOLENCE to get their way. I propose that we peacefully PUSH BACK by participating with SEMA in the web site above.

Ultimately there are some that wish our country to collapse, step by step they are pushing for this. Its not just my opinion either, Its a FACT, you just do not know about it because the lame stream media does not report it. If you were to take all of the aftermarket companies and tell them that they could no longer support cars that were 20 years old, our economy would be pushed one step closer to collapse.

THAT IS WHY you need to register and be involved, YOU CANNOT SIT BY and think it will not happen here, or its not worth the fight...

It is worth the fight for our FREEDOMS.

John
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by madmax
I'm calm, dont know where you're getting that idea. Conjecture, I suppose.

I do believe the idea of "SAVE OUR HOBBY!" and getting involved with SEMA is to stop the red tape parade and the plan+purpose of our govt to forcibly "retire" our entire fleet via insane legislation rather than worry about the few fallen thirdgens from some owners who may modify them, disembowel them, or even wreck them beyond repair. The whole cash for clunkers program is a "nudge" to the next step, cash your clunkers(or else) or get some cool bracelets.

BTW I fired off a nasty letter today trying to do us a favor that will likely fall on deaf ears but the assumption that most (or any) people dont get involved is just more nonsense without true facts to back it up.
I did not delete this post because I think MADMAX GETS IT! (Yes I am yelling) ALL OF US NEED TO WAKE UP!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 LSX
Transmission: Performabuilt 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt 3.73

Well Im in! My car is the only hobby I have and I greatly enjoy it. Even if I didnt have a third gen, I would be building an older Camaro, Chevelle, GTO, Challenger or something else. Its the best hobby in the world! And the hell if I'm gunna let someone stop me from working on MY OWN CAR!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 910 Likes on 597 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I can't believe all the years Ive been to the SEMA show and Ive never signed up..

I have now. Thanx John you hit the nail on the head with this..
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by okfoz
I had a response that was really lengthy for those who really have no idea what this is about. I find it frustrating that someone can simply scan over the article and say... Eh! its not for me, or who gives a crap about third Gen's anyways. Ultimately I deleted the majority of posts because the purpose of the thread is NOT to simply state that its a futile exercise to try and save our Third Gens.
So because you're too lazy or incapable to formulate a sensible reply (after you asked us to read a 6 page article, and a politically motivated post) you deleted everything you personally didn't like? Way to be a responsible moderator. There wasn't anything posted that needed to be moderated.

I went back and read every word of the post and the article. Big surprise, the article is almost a word for word duplicate of articles that show up all the time. There's nothing new there that any enthusiast hasn't already read. It's basically a recruiting article for SAN. I still stand by my opinion that it doesn't apply to most enthusiasts on this forum. Most people here don't care that it's against the law to delete the AIR system, or their catalytic converter, or that their loud exhaust might be illegal. They don't care if their engine swap or street racing is technically illegal. They just do it anyway.

I'm glad SAN is out there doing their thing. But personally, I prefer my hobby without politics, much the same as I prefer my corn flakes without urine. The article is fine, the way it was presented here with a hearty helping of politics, and tinfoil hat propaganda, was a bit too much. Just my opinion, you can go ahead and delete it now.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
So because you're too lazy or incapable to formulate a sensible reply (after you asked us to read a 6 page article, and a politically motivated post) you deleted everything you personally didn't like? Way to be a responsible moderator. There wasn't anything posted that needed to be moderated.
I agree I don't think it was fair for you to delete posts you don't like. I don't have the option to delete someone else's post if I don't like their response, does that seem fair?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Sorry John, but I think the point was made. This can only get ugly from here.