History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Where did all the OEM GM parts go?? Thanks "New GM"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Where did all the OEM GM parts go?? Thanks "New GM"

I can only assume that this is a result of GM's "revised self" but where the hell have all the parts gone? I have been looking for a bunch of OEM parts for my thirdgen and a lot of those parts are from newer cars (GTO, 4thgen) but almost everytime I call the dealer, I'm told that EVERYTHING is discontinued.

I realize that the "New GM" got all the assets, and the "Old GM" got all the liabilities, but who the hell got the parts and where are they now?!?!

Has anyone else had this problem? I have seen posts as recently as April-May on here where people have posted P/Ns that were good then, but now they don't even show up anymore.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy
Re: Where did all the OEM GM parts go?? Thanks "New GM"

Older stuff ends up some place in Wisconsin called "Vintage Parts" or something like that. Once it's there, you have to pay a shipping charge for your dealer to get if for you. They do have a lot of discontinued parts though, I just got a new GM fender for my '77 Blazer.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

IIRC, and I may not, parts are only carried for 10 years. I've been looking for OE parts for my 85 since I purchased the car, and even as early as the late 90's, there were parts that were long gone.

JamesC
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 AM
J91
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

You need to find a dealership that is willing to do the legwork and find the parts. Just because a part is discontinued, doesn't mean it's not available. Ask them to do a search and see if it is in stock anywhere, sometimes they are just a phonecall away, usually you can find things.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Usually it was 7 years, but often parts were discontinued earlier than that, especially if it was a lower production model. Things like carpet and door panels are the first to get discontinued.

On the other hand though, some parts are made for 20 years or more.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 (SOLD) & 90 Iroc convertibles
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 speed & auto
Axle/Gears: 3.08 & 2.73

Originally Posted by J91
You need to find a dealership that is willing to do the legwork and find the parts. Just because a part is discontinued, doesn't mean it's not available. Ask them to do a search and see if it is in stock anywhere, sometimes they are just a phonecall away, usually you can find things.

I was able to get some OEM convertible top rubber.
Other dealers told me discontinued then one dealer mentioned Vintage parts and ordered in the rubber for me.........unfortunately the dealership has closed down now.
You`ll have to find someone that is willing to do the leg work to find the parts.
Granted some parts have been discontinued and you`ll have to find another source.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

It just seems odd to me; I mean 5 years ago I remember going to the dealership and ordering a factory strut tower brace and chassis brace for my Beretta (which was first offered in late '87) and I got it. I also got things like GTZ grills and emblems for it as well as shifter cables for a 1993 Beretta GTZ (~610 made in '93). Just checked part numbers on 'em and they're discontinued; all gone.

Now I can't even get a damn clutch reservoir from an 04-06 GTO for cryin' out loud. I realize the whole "part production/availability life", but something is up with GM right now. I've _never_ had this much trouble finding parts until about the last year. Most of the parts I'm looking for are not 3rdgen parts, just parts that will be used on my 3rdgen from much newer vehicles.

I'm just beginning to see that the glory days of GM are behind them. Gone are the days when they offered anything at a reasonable price and had parts to fix those cars when they did break. You can get your new 5thgen Camaro at two price points: Expensive and ridiculous. Pontiac is gone and misc GM dealerships that have been around for decades are just going the way of the dodo. Hell, a Cadillac dealer here that had been around for 72 years just went out of business because GM asked them to.

The New GM seems to have nothing in common with the old GM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

You folks have to remember that many auto mfrs./suppliers use the "Just In Time" parts method. So a lot of extra stuff just isn't mfrd. or stocked either by GM or the parts mfr. Of course to save money/keep the price high/give us the screwing!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: LS3

GM is required to service parts for 10 years (gov't mandated). There is a possibility that they could be back ordered, but can never be discontinued before that 10 years is up. They will often stock or continue to produce if there is demand (ie. profit) to be had.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by west1nm
GM is required to service parts for 10 years (gov't mandated). There is a possibility that they could be back ordered, but can never be discontinued before that 10 years is up. They will often stock or continue to produce if there is demand (ie. profit) to be had.
Seems odd considering many 4thgen parts (2002 especially) are already disc.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM

I know that before the old GM went out I could have ordered new factory convertible trunk lids but the price was sky high .
They had 20 some odd in stock now they show discontinued ....someone must have them but then again I havent tried Vintage parts .
Ill have to give my parts guy a call to see whats up with the New GM
Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Well I bought a set of seats out of a 2000 Trans Am and the air pump, passenger seat trim with switches and the harness was missing these parts were all the same from 98-02, but these parts were all discontinued so I don't think the 10 year thing is true. But I was told that when GM discontinues a part they send all their inventory of that part to Vintage parts in Wisconsin. I thought their prices were pretty high it was $300 for the air pump, $80 for the harness and I never even asked about the trim and switches, but the diagrams weren't real good and there was a restocking fee if the parts were wrong so I passed but the parts were available. He also said you would be surprised at what they have in stock there he said it's hit or miss there was an 84 Vette that had been there for a while and he said there was something fuel related that went bad and they couldn't find the part anywhere. I know others answered this for you but this was the info I got directly from the dealer.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: LS3

I guess let me clarify.... Parts may be discontinued, but GM must have inventory or be able to supply the part (not sure about time frame) within 10 years of the models release. There are instances where a part may have a VERY LONG lead time, but they are required to service. If they do run out of inventory, they have to resource or reman.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by west1nm
I guess let me clarify.... Parts may be discontinued, but GM must have inventory or be able to supply the part (not sure about time frame) within 10 years of the models release. There are instances where a part may have a VERY LONG lead time, but they are required to service. If they do run out of inventory, they have to resource or reman.
I've been down this road countless times. It's common for something to be discontinued well before the 10 year period and there is no stock showing anywhere else in the country.

Also I have found that GM tends to jack up the price of a part shortly before it's discontinued.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi

Originally Posted by 86blackiroc
I've been down this road countless times. It's common for something to be discontinued well before the 10 year period and there is no stock showing anywhere else in the country.

Also I have found that GM tends to jack up the price of a part shortly before it's discontinued.
All I know is I was having trouble finding a bulb for my OEM fogs on my 88 IROC. So I started going to parts stores but was having trouble finding the replacement bulb. So since I went to Pep Boys and it was across from the dealership. Parts guy goes in the back and says he has to order it (2 days) and it would be $26. Chevy parts counter guy raised his eyebrow and said soon no one will have these parts so I better get it at $26. Negative! Thanks no thanks and found it at O'Reillys an hour later. I bought two for 7.95 each, for the next time one goes out. I live in a major city so I have more options than those of you in rural America.

Just face it our cars parts are getting hard to find. I personally and developing a little stock pile of things (since I have 2 thirdgens) like Hatch motors, dash pads, bow tie fog lite grills. Because I know in 5 years GM will not be a viable optio.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

The fog bulbs for an iroc is a # 885 50 watt bulb.They were also used in the 93-97 Camaro fogs.I have a giant bagfull of them here as everytime I pull fog lights I also grab the bulbs.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Why are the 04-06 GTO parts already showing up as discontinued? Maybe something having to do with Holden? I was looking for a clutch reservoir to use with my T5 swap and the GTO reservoir is already discontinued...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm worried about not being able to get NOS IROC tail light lenses. I see a set on ebay now for $600 just for the lenses, I should've bought them at $400 when the dealer had them a few years ago. I worry about these, as I know taillights are probably one of the first things to be snatched up in the NOS world.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you need a parts guy that will dig. I had to find a NOS drip edge part to give to the manufacturer to produce those for you guys.

I went to the Chevy dealer and they said we don't have it it's discontinued. I introduced myself to the guy behind the desk and said look, the whole 3rd gen community needs these things,then they went to work for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10

I actually got the white plastic clips from a dealer that the rear plastic screws go into and well as the press panels. We had a parts guy in our club and I had an old bag that had the part number on it. They were cheap two years ago.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Its really ridiculous how GM cant even get a single thing for my TA anymore. I went in to ask if they could get ordered a Tailight Assembly for my 91 TA and said sorry discontinued. They didnt want to help me or anything, they said oh well we can get you the firebird lense assembly with all the sockets etc..., im like wtf! I dont have a firebird, i have a TA. Pretty much i just asked them if i could just have a print out of everything in there computer for our cars with pictures, and they said glady. I couldnt even get service these days, GM today totally sucks. i remember a few years back they would atleast try to locate a part down and call for availability.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

Originally Posted by 1989formulakid
Its really ridiculous how GM cant even get a single thing for my TA anymore. I went in to ask if they could get ordered a Tailight Assembly for my 91 TA and said sorry discontinued. They didnt want to help me or anything, they said oh well we can get you the firebird lense assembly with all the sockets etc..., im like wtf! I dont have a firebird, i have a TA. Pretty much i just asked them if i could just have a print out of everything in there computer for our cars with pictures, and they said glady. I couldnt even get service these days, GM today totally sucks. i remember a few years back they would atleast try to locate a part down and call for availability.

Not the least bit surprised about the taillights -- they built what, maybe 6-7,000 cars from 1991-92 that use them? I'm sure the taillights were at least $500/side new retail, so it didn't make sense for GM to keep them in production since so few cars were made that use them and it was such an expensive part.

Still sucks though. Mine are super de-laminated. Not that I'd pay $1,000 for a new set if they WERE available though...
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
Not the least bit surprised about the taillights -- they built what, maybe 6-7,000 cars from 1991-92 that use them? I'm sure the taillights were at least $500/side new retail, so it didn't make sense for GM to keep them in production since so few cars were made that use them and it was such an expensive part.

Still sucks though. Mine are super de-laminated. Not that I'd pay $1,000 for a new set if they WERE available though...
See that is what I mean. Last year I found a mint set of grid style tail light lens....just sitting high up on a shelf in my garage just in case. As of today I don't need them but I could not pass them up in the J Yard that day. I guess that is just the old Boy Scout in me= Be Prepared.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86NiteRider
See that is what I mean. Last year I found a mint set of grid style tail light lens....just sitting high up on a shelf in my garage just in case. As of today I don't need them but I could not pass them up in the J Yard that day. I guess that is just the old Boy Scout in me= Be Prepared.
But have you ever bought stuff for a kind of car that you might have some day? I swear it's a disease, lol.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Car: 1989 Forumla 350 WS6
Engine: 5.7 TPI:Bosch III's 22#'s
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt Posi- 3:27

But have you ever bought stuff for a kind of car that you might have some day? I swear it's a disease, lol.
Have any of you guys ever dealt with 1ATony?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Car: 89 RS Vert, 89 Formula, 89 Bird
Engine: L03, TBI 350, none
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, none
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.45, none

But have you ever bought stuff for a kind of car that you might have some day?
My wife told me I was the only one who did this. Glad to see she's wrong.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Not yet but I could see myself buying 'vette parts...lol. It would be hard to explain to the wife.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

I remember reading a year ago that Nissans were having a front suspension piece rusting out and failing. Only way to get a part was to source it in a junkyard. These cars were only a couple years old. That would be a shock I'd think. Junkyard part on a two year old car.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by navy02ws6

They guy at pontiac parts departed quoted me 375 for whole assembly. WHY SO LOW? DUH non available it figures its my luck. Then i went to the chevy dealership and they quoted me freakin 475. i was like what?? So i went back and the guy gave me the print out, and its definitely 375 for what they would be. I went back today and talked to somebody different and a guy called me back 3 hours later telling me the last time they even saw a 91-92 TA Taillight assembly was in of 04 that was a refurbished one. Its been gone for a long time

But they had the part number, picture, and price, just no location or availability for one. Anyone know where you can get the TA Tailight Assembly, ive been on a few third gen merchandise sites with no such luck. Third gen ranch had one, but was barely on there site for a month so im guessing they sold out.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 355, 6.0 (LQ4) soon
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 2.77 for now

Man, reading this makes me glad I'm hoarding parts! Even with the parts I do have I'd still like to have the confidence of being able to get a part I need from GM, but thats shot now.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Car: All of them
Engine: zz4 350 with AFR 195's
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have owned my 1987 IROC since 1990. I started buying genuine GM parts for it soon after. Radiator, dash, dash vents, shift ****, steering wheel, window / door lock / rear switches, headlight switch, basicley anything that ***** out quickley.
In the late 90's the parts started to be more difficult for the normal GM parts counter guys to find. I started buying all of my parts from one dealer then, Biddle Chevy in Bothell. They spent the time to track down parts and still gave me jobber pricing. In 2005 I had the car repainted and developed a list of parts that would be needed to restore the appearence of the car. The most difficult parts to find were the sticker pin stripes ( the drivers front corner was already discontinued and out of stock) and most of the emblems were out of stock also. The weather stripping was in short supply as was the front turn signal indicators, fog lights, IROC decals, hood louvers, hood insulation, windsheild wiper and coolant bottles, and door hinges.

I tried to buy new tailights but they were long since discontinued and there was one left in dealer stock, or so I was told. I bought the last tail light in GM inventory. When I opened the box that was shipped from Texas it was a non gridded assembly. I thought about returning it and getting my 175.00 back but held onto it. I sold it to a guy on this site last spring. Biddle also found the last T-Top Tbar assembly in GM stock, located it in Portland OR. I could have saved mine but the channels that hold the weather stripping in were rusted / pitted.

OEM parts started drying up for these cars in the late 90's.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

I forgot to mention, that a lot of the parts you can still get are not quite like the originals. Last fall, I bought new turn signal lenses, marker lights, fog lights, and a power antenna from GM, all for my '86 IROC. Well, the turn signal lenses are now made in china, rather than USA, and the antenna is a universal-fit type that is made in Mexico IIRC. The only part of the fog lights that are true GM are the glass lenses, the housings and trim bezel are made by Depo (an aftermarket light supplier). That's just wrong if you ask me.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 66 Mustang, 78 t/a
Engine: 5.0 TBI, 289, 400
Transmission: 700R4, C4, th350

what money are they saving by not offering something to sell?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Spoke with my parts guy he mentioned that there isnt any govt mandate to keep parts in stock or supplied for 10 years. He has seen parts discontinued after 2-3 years for the newer models .(many small parts manufacturers have gone under with GMs recent changes)
I guess its all about supply and demand which equals to profits. True, if there is a govt mandate and it wouldnt be profitable for them to reman the part, GM would probably show the item back ordered for months or even years.
Example 04-06 GTO brought in from Holden in Austrailia many parts are discontinued but the parts guy mentioned that he could still get NOS parts for his 66 chevelle such as emblems and trim pieces etc.
He said its a hit and miss for parts . He has asked me to fax him a list of parts that I would be interested in purchasing and that he would go through the list and let me know what is still available.
Parts that have been discontinued and have been sent to Vintage parts also show up on his computer as `part available at Vintage parts`.
I also mentioned that back during my Mopar days parts showed up as discontinued would show up as available months or years later with Chrysler ....my parts guy said not so with GM he has never seen that happen.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: '86 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

<------GM parts guy.

Sometimes I think that GM discontinues parts randomly for no rhyme or reason. I had a guy looking for a throttle cable for a '95 Camaro today, completely discontinued no stock anywhere. I've found discountinued parts on vehicles les then 5 years old.

Most (if not all) dealers are able to check every other dealer in the country for parts, occasionally other dealers even have old parts for sale at a disount just to move them. The aforementioned Vintage Parts is a good source but they don't always have discontinued parts, sometimes dealers will have parts Vintage Parts doesn't and visa versa. Any decent parts guy/gal should be able to at least check other dealers though. Naturally, the older they get the less chance you have of finding it. I've been looking for all sorts of little odds and ends pieces for my car as I come across them, it's a total game of chance, usually I find that there is nothing availble anymore. I'd sure give it a good try if anyone is looking for anything specific, but chances are you're gonna be out of luck.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 AM

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

Originally Posted by 1ATony
you need a parts guy that will dig. I had to find a NOS drip edge part to give to the manufacturer to produce those for you guys.

I went to the Chevy dealer and they said we don't have it it's discontinued. I introduced myself to the guy behind the desk and said look, the whole 3rd gen community needs these things,then they went to work for me.
What Tony says. The guys at the GM dealership I go to are only too happy to do the searches - I can't begin with the VIN searches I've done with no charge. They tell me it makes their days more interesting. The plus side is that there is a serious collector base here.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 AM

GM is already in the hole as it is. But wouldnt make since to atleast make the parts for cars so they would actually have the more income come into them, instead of saying oh sorry your part will never be made again. We are glad we screwed you over. Have a nice day. That doesnt seem right. I mean i can understand maybe a car in the 50s possibly, but in the 80s? come on!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1989formulakid
GM is already in the hole as it is. But wouldnt make since to atleast make the parts for cars so they would actually have the more income come into them, instead of saying oh sorry your part will never be made again. We are glad we screwed you over. Have a nice day. That doesnt seem right. I mean i can understand maybe a car in the 50s possibly, but in the 80s? come on!
I'm thinking of it this way... "If we can't sell anything new (because we suck and don't make anything that is both appealing and affordable); Why not make the parts to sell to the guys fixing up our older cars?"

Hehehee.... Can you imagine if thirdgen parts started being manufactured again... dream......
Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Guys, you need to stop bashing GM for this. The lack of parts is not a GM issue. If they were to build only 10 cars for a given year then discontinue the car, they might have had the parts built to a total of 13 for each part. A supplier built the parts for these cars, not GM.

Now think of this, in 1993, the Camaro was the Pace Car. The interior was a special interior that used a knitting machine to knit the seats and door panels. With 645 cars built, how many seats and door panels do you think were made? Maybe 700. That doesn't leave much room for replacement parts that GM will keep in inventory. Once the inventory is sold, we are at the suppliers mercy to create more. In the case of the 93 Pace Car, that won't happen! The same is true for the decals on that car. When they are gone, they are gone. Ask the supplier to get you more and see what the cost is!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Guys, you need to stop bashing GM for this. The lack of parts is not a GM issue. If they were to build only 10 cars for a given year then discontinue the car, they might have had the parts built to a total of 13 for each part. A supplier built the parts for these cars, not GM.

Now think of this, in 1993, the Camaro was the Pace Car. The interior was a special interior that used a knitting machine to knit the seats and door panels. With 645 cars built, how many seats and door panels do you think were made? Maybe 700. That doesn't leave much room for replacement parts that GM will keep in inventory. Once the inventory is sold, we are at the suppliers mercy to create more. In the case of the 93 Pace Car, that won't happen! The same is true for the decals on that car. When they are gone, they are gone. Ask the supplier to get you more and see what the cost is!!!!
Decals can be purchased at Phoenix Graphics.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Since this is a 3rd gen site, I won't elaborate on the 93 but to say that Phoenix Graphics does not carry the 93 Pace Car decals. They might advertise them as does Classic Industries, but when you call them, they will tell you that they are discontinued since all they did was resell the factory originals.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Might be for the 93, mine were made by them.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

As a former parts salesman for a heavy duty truck dealer,I can almost understand GM's situation. I've had my Z since 1994. As early as 1995,I was finding discontinued numbers. Famously,I needed a tail panel Z28 emblem for my disgusting non metallic blue car. only place I could get one was at a dealer in Michigan,sitting dusty on a shelf. If GM is going to tool up or have one of their suppliers make it,it's going to cost money to have made AND inventory at their distribution locations. They have to make a profit on these parts.......can you say VOLUME? i think it sucks as well as all you guys,believe me I still need stuff for my car! unfortunately,I got a blonde stuck in my eye,requiring major wallet surgery to relieve marital pressure!!......
.............BILL
Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RPOZ28
As a former parts salesman for a heavy duty truck dealer,I can almost understand GM's situation. I've had my Z since 1994. As early as 1995,I was finding discontinued numbers. Famously,I needed a tail panel Z28 emblem for my disgusting non metallic blue car. only place I could get one was at a dealer in Michigan,sitting dusty on a shelf. If GM is going to tool up or have one of their suppliers make it,it's going to cost money to have made AND inventory at their distribution locations. They have to make a profit on these parts.......can you say VOLUME? i think it sucks as well as all you guys,believe me I still need stuff for my car! unfortunately,I got a blonde stuck in my eye,requiring major wallet surgery to relieve marital pressure!!......
.............BILL
HA!!! That's funny...I don't care who you are!
One of my very close friends worked at the local Chevy dealer for 17 years in parts. He used to get all I needed for my Fire-Chicken as he called it. Damn I miss the good ole' days!