History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

interesting special edition decals

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 cu.in
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock
interesting special edition decals

Hey guys,

this was posted on super chevy looking for some feedback on the car. He says it's an 82 and it has some interesting special edition decals, please see below. I was under the impression the only special edition in 1982 was the Indy pace car, but this is not the correct decal. At this point I can't confirm anything other than what he says and the pictures. Will be trying to get more info such as VIN

Last edited by 3rdGenSuperman; 06-01-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 1LE
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: G92 Perf. Axle
Re: interesting special edition decals

Those decals are not factory. They are aftermarket, probably dealer-installed. Decal kits and striping like that were all the rage with car dealers in the 1980s. Dealers would install stripes and decals at customer request or (more often) to pad profits further on hot-selling cars.

IMO the decal kit on that car is among the tackiest I have seen. No offense intended.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio

Hello 3rdGenSuperman!!

I'd have to agree with TOM-1LE, those are some of the tackiest decals that I have seen also!!

Why is it that the words are reversed from one side to the other????

Does the article say???

Reminds me of the 1970's back in Quebec, everytime my dad, and I would see something like that, we would say there's a "Pepsimobile"!! Kind of an inside joke between my dad and me, but meant that it was probably a French guy, who put on the CanadianTire junky car gizmos, (stickers, dingleballs, naked lady air freshener, etc!!!

No offence meant, like I said, it was an inside joke between my dad, and I!!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 PM

well, I also agree with TOM it's abosolutely horrid. It must be some french thing. I was just trying to figure out if it was an actual special edition. It's just a reader's rides post on super chevy....hey I'm just glad to see a 3rd gen on there.

HAHA canadian tire, they have everything,
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio

Originally Posted by 3rdGenSuperman
well, I also agree with TOM it's abosolutely horrid. It must be some french thing. I was just trying to figure out if it was an actual special edition. It's just a reader's rides post on super chevy....hey I'm just glad to see a 3rd gen on there.

HAHA canadian tire, they have everything,
Hello 3rdGenSuperman!!

CajunTire has almost everything, except for what your looking for, that you need, right now!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by 3rdGenSuperman
82? That looks like a much later nose. Like a 90 or something.

Not saying it isn't a 82 with a nose swap. Just saying that looks like it isn't an 82 nose.

Last edited by Stephen; 04-07-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM

yeah exactly, what you need right now any and every time you need it.

I agree IMO the nose looked newer as well. I don't have to much information. They said nothing about the nose swap, but there is a cover or bra of some type over the nose to it's hard to see the gfx and some of the defining features.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

That's an 82-84 nose with a bra on it. Look at the turn signal opening. It's recessed, not flush.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 PM

HAHAHA IMO this is a terrible thing to do to any Camaro, if you look close at the third pic I think I see a mud flap installed there, wanted to keep those decals clean I suppose .
But back in the 70's and early 80's nothing was taboo. I remember putting a cowl induction hood scoop on a Datsun, hahaha.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jfl1960
HAHAHA IMO this is a terrible thing to do to any Camaro, if you look close at the third pic I think I see a mud flap installed there, wanted to keep those decals clean I suppose .
But back in the 70's and early 80's nothing was taboo. I remember putting a cowl induction hood scoop on a Datsun, hahaha.
What's wrong with having mud flaps on the car? They protect the paint behind the rear wheels.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

There's nothing wrong with mudflaps per se for that exact reason (mine had them from the factory), but they do look a little hillbilly. Being on a Camaro of all vehicles doesn't do anything to mitigate that.

That aside, I actually am not a fan because they just ruin the paint surface of the inner wheel well and ground effect that they rub up against, and trap moisture and crud which hurts those areas further. Also where they are mounted to the wheel wells is a very good place for corrosion to gather.

I don't ever spin the tires though, so not having them and just being careful with the car has worked well for the duration of my ownership of the vehicle.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by puma1552
There's nothing wrong with mudflaps per se for that exact reason (mine had them from the factory), but they do look a little hillbilly. Being on a Camaro of all vehicles doesn't do anything to mitigate that.
So, are you saying that my car looks trailer trash because I have them? I'm not trying to start an argument so don't over read my tone or read into the question. They serve a purpose, and when done correctly, not only protect the vehicle, but can enhance an image.

Also, if you look at the older fox body mustang GTs, you will see the opening in the ground effects forward of the rear wheels is almost always worn away and the yellow shows through. I can guarantee you the owner wasn't spinning the front tires causing the paint damage! There is so much garbage on the roads these days that sand and small gravel *will* get thrown at the side of the car when you have tires that stick outside the body, like the Camaros and Firebirds.

Mudflaps are also not just a thing of the 70s and 80s. I have them on my 2006 Chevy Silverado also and after 100k miles, I don't have hardly any stone chips. Many people on the truck boards are looking for the factory mud flaps to protect the paint on their trucks. If you don't like them, don't use 'em, but don't call people hillbilly for using them. I know alot of people that use them only when they drive and remove them at shows. They use binder clips to hold them on while driving.
Attached Thumbnails interesting special edition decals-p8050094.jpg  

Last edited by scottmoyer; 04-23-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
So, are you saying that my car looks trailer trash because I have them? I'm not trying to start an argument so don't over read my tone or read into the question. They serve a purpose, and when done correctly, not only protect the vehicle, but can enhance an image.
Of course you and I both know your car is gorgeous. What I am saying though is that they look a little out of place on a muscle car, especially with only two. Either put all four on, or take all four off IMO. Just two, on a muscle car, really looks out of place to me, personally. IMO mudflaps will never, ever make a muscle car look better. Did your car come from the factory with just two?

There is so much garbage on the roads these days that sand and small gravel *will* get thrown at the side of the car when you have tires that stick outside the body, like the Camaros and Firebirds.
If that's the case, you should probably have them on the front as well to protect the fenders. I realize there is more of an inward curve on the rear quarters than front fenders, but nonetheless the front fenders are also susceptible to road debri. Like I said, 12 years with mine and the car still looks great, but I'm extremely selective with what roads I do and don't drive on, and know which roads to avoid that tend to have more debris.

Mudflaps are also not just a thing of the 70s and 80s. I have them on my 2006 Chevy Silverado also and after 100k miles, I don't have hardly any stone chips. Many people on the truck boards are looking for the factory mud flaps to protect the paint on their trucks. If you don't like them, don't use 'em, but don't call people hillbilly for using them. I know alot of people that use them only when they drive and remove them at shows. They use binder clips to hold them on while driving.
I would put them on a truck too, that's where they look right at home. Just not a muscle car, IMO. Truck yes (absolutely, in fact), muscle car, no. How does the paint look behind the mudflaps, where the wind constantly beats them and makes them rub the GFX?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

EEEeeeeewwwwwww........

That "Special Edition" thing is about the most utt bucking fugly thing I've seen all day. :barf: Goes to show how tastes change over time. Somebody probably bought that from JC Whitney or something and thought it was an "upgrade" back then.

It CERTAINLY isn't factory.

Glad I don't have to peel that off my car.

I remember buying a 78 Z28 once, musta been in about 86 or 87, came to me with whitewall tires and mud flaps. ALL FOUR no less. It was BEYOND hideous. I chiseled the guy down like $100 extra because it had those .... things .... on it and looked so .... ummm,,,,, .... yeah. I don't think they lasted 5 whole minutes after I got the car home. It amazed me how much better the car looked without .... that ..... on there. The whitewall tires didn't last much longer.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Gotta love the FEAR THIS! decal in the middle of the windshield too... Someone was a couple cans short of a six pack. Check out the factory glass hood leaning against the wall... It's probably worth more then the entire car. LOL

As mentioned "Special Edition" or "S/E" accessories were all the rage in JCWhitney junk several years ago. You could buy them at Kmart. They were in the next row over from that Ricky-Racer flex fan. Those huge decals are the largest, most obnoxiously lame example I've seen yet. The door handle inserts, key guards, hubcaps/center caps, mud flaps, etc are all more common. Even most people with bad taste didn't have bad enough taste to stick a ginormous hideous decal on the side of their car.

A little work with a heat gun and scrubbing with a soft towel and naptha would probably get it off without killing the paint. However if it's been on there since the late 80's, I'd be concerned that the image will be burned into the paint under the decal. It might look like a ghost image when the decal is removed. A rattle can repaint might look less tacky. Maybe, you could tape butcher paper over it?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
What's wrong with having mud flaps on the car? They protect the paint behind the rear wheels.

You know to each his or her own, I think your car is as nice as I have ever see, well except for the mud flaps of course, just my opinion. Now if you just had those "Special Edition" decals maybe they wouldn't look sooooo out of place, lol. Just kidding, your car is immaculate.