History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Bought a 92 Z28 1LE with a cage, what can you tell me??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
Re: Bought a 92 Z28 1LE with a cage, what can you tell me??

Originally Posted by nighthawk355x
How do your headers meet at the flange that bolts to the y-pipe? Mine is strange. All 4 tubes go into 2 seperated tubes at the flange, and even the flange itself isn't a typical design. I have a feeling if I never find out what brand they are I'll never be able to get a ORY or anything. Never saw any like that.
If they're as old as the car, they might be the old SLP Tri-Y headers. The Edelbrock headers are a bit goofy too. Just find some pics and start comparing.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the headers, if each of the outside primaries has it's own 3/8" flange, along with a separate flange for the the inside 2 primaries, I'd be willing to bet, as Drew stated, they are probably SLP Tri-Y's. If so,the driver side flange at the Y should have four bolts. The double Y tubes then empty into a nice 3" collector.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Car: Caged 92 Z28 1LE
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by Drew
If they're as old as the car, they might be the old SLP Tri-Y headers. The Edelbrock headers are a bit goofy too. Just find some pics and start comparing.
You guys are freakin GENIOUS!!!! Just searched for a pic and sure enough, they're the Tri-Y!!

So let me guess...if I wanted an ORY that'd bolt up I'd be S.O.L. wouldn't I?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z T-Top car with Bose
Engine: L98 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt with 3.27's

How do your headers meet at the flange that bolts to the y-pipe? Mine is strange. All 4 tubes go into 2 seperated tubes at the flange, and even the flange itself isn't a typical design. I have a feeling if I never find out what brand they are I'll never be able to get a ORY or anything. Never saw any like that.
Here's some pictures of the driver side header. Is this similar to what you have? If not anyone know what brand they are? I was told the were SS SLP pieces, but they don't say SLP anywhere.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rumblin70SS
Here's some pictures of the driver side header. Is this similar to what you have? If not anyone know what brand they are? I was told the were SS SLP pieces, but they don't say SLP anywhere.
I think your's are SLP too, when I searched at first I kept finding ones like that. They're probably SLP just not the same model as mine. Be glad...because those look like you can get away with just about any Y you want. Mine are going to be a tough match I think. Here's mine...

Name:  P8120281.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  43.6 KB
Name:  P8120280.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  53.2 KB
Name:  P8120282.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  50.5 KB
Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

Originally Posted by Apeiron
ALL 1LE cars had the 1LE brakes, absolutely no exceptions. No 1LE brakes in the front, no 1LE.

Ordering G92 got you the KC4 oil cooler, J65 rear disc brake, and N10 dual cat options. What the quote is trying to say is that if you also ordered the C41 conventional heater (no A/C) option, then that automatically triggered the inclusion of the 1LE option, which DOES give you the heavy-duty front brakes.

what about the 88 t/a cars???? i belive the first ones had iron fronts

did a quick search..http://members.shaw.ca/tunedportinje..._am.htm#Brakes

although after that I am sure it HAD to come with the pbr brakes

Last edited by 88 350 tpi formula; 03-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 PM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 267 Likes on 190 Posts

They look like SLP headers to me. Not all SLP headers have the SLP name tag. I had a set similar to yours, without air injection and without the SLP name tag. I forget why (and time period) for SLP headers that didn't have the name tag on them.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 PM

I think your's are SLP too, when I searched at first I kept finding ones like that. They're probably SLP just not the same model as mine. Be glad...because those look like you can get away with just about any Y you want. Mine are going to be a tough match I think. Here's mine...
Ah, thanks for the pictures, I appreciate it. I assume mine are just a standard SPL offering as the primary tube flanges look very similar. It looks like you can just put a test pipe on yours instead of replacing the whole Y pipe. They used to make them, but if you can't find one I'm sure you could fab one up.

My Y pipe looks like a standard one without the converter.

Did you take those off the car already? Whats the plan for it if you did?

What kind of bolt do they use on the main flange that attaches to the head? Is it a allen head or something else that fits in those tubes?

Where did you find header pictures? Here or google?

Sorry for all the questions......if you need a hand w anything I'm right across the bridge from you.

Last edited by Rumblin70SS; 03-19-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by JT
They look like SLP headers to me. Not all SLP headers have the SLP name tag. I had a set similar to yours, without air injection and without the SLP name tag. I forget why (and time period) for SLP headers that didn't have the name tag on them.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! How did the headers fit? I am still unsure what I am doing with them.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

pic
pic
pic
Those are the late model SLP headers without AIR injection. They're stainless, and fit decent. If you've got the matching Y pipe they're fairly valuable. SLP didn't put the name tag on them until sometime in the early 2000's. They offered 1 5/8 and 1 3/4" primaries. I had a set on my 86 T/A and I keep thinking I should have taken them off the car when I sold it.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

You guys are freakin GENIOUS!!!! Just searched for a pic and sure enough, they're the Tri-Y!!

So let me guess...if I wanted an ORY that'd bolt up I'd be S.O.L. wouldn't I?
Are you talking about going from the single intermediate pipe to true duals? Because true duals are highly over rated, and you'll be hard pressed to make more power with a different exhaust then what you have now. If anything, you might want to remove the cat converter(s), but it wouldn't effect the Y at all.

Honestly I wouldn't cut up those headers, or the Y-pipe no matter how bad you want to change the setup. The truth is those are long since discontinued and pretty much un-obtainium. They date back to when SLP sold performance parts through GM dealers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're also the same headers SLP used on the Firehawk. In other words, they're worth a chunk of cash.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In other words, they're worth a chunk of cash.
They are worth a bunch of money... I think you could get over 1k for them if you held out for the right buyer. From my understanding they are the best fitting, highest gain headers made for a Thirdgen. Whatever you do, don't hack them up...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Ah, thanks for the pictures, I appreciate it. I assume mine are just a standard SPL offering as the primary tube flanges look very similar. It looks like you can just put a test pipe on yours instead of replacing the whole Y pipe. They used to make them, but if you can't find one I'm sure you could fab one up.

My Y pipe looks like a standard one without the converter.

Did you take those off the car already? Whats the plan for it if you did?

What kind of bolt do they use on the main flange that attaches to the head? Is it a allen head or something else that fits in those tubes?

Where did you find header pictures? Here or google?

Sorry for all the questions......if you need a hand w anything I'm right across the bridge from you.
Great info everybody!!! I appreciate it!!

I think it's a normal bolt in mine iirc, but don't quote me. The fitment is frigging EXCELLENT from what I see, plenty of room everywhere you need it and they're still in excellent shape.

I'm definately not taking them off, EVER. Never planned on it. I'm not one of the sissy whiners that goes on & on about "originality". Screw that. If GM had done it right in the first place there would BE NO aftermarket. Why keep inferior stock stamped out garbage on my car when I can make it run more efficient and gain power?? Exhaust wasn't much of a part of the 1LE package anyway, so the more mods the merrier. Like I said, anything 1LE stays, anything generic camaro gets tossed in favor of better.

These 1LE cars were made for a purpose, and damnit mine's not going to be sitting in a garage collecting dust anytime soon.

The more I drive it the more I fall in love with it. Of 30+ fairly wicked cars I've owned, this one is definately one of the coolest, even if it's one of the slowest...for now anyway.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 PM

Oh and the pics were googled. Not even in images, just a google web search.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 AM

Those are the late model SLP headers without AIR injection. They're stainless, and fit decent. If you've got the matching Y pipe they're fairly valuable. SLP didn't put the name tag on them until sometime in the early 2000's. They offered 1 5/8 and 1 3/4" primaries. I had a set on my 86 T/A and I keep thinking I should have taken them off the car when I sold it.
Here's they Y pipe I got with the headers. Looks like it would use a doughnut between the two pieces, so I'm not sure if its the right part. Also, the converter outlet is only 2.5 inches so that concerns me too. The material is very thick so I don't think its a GM part.

Would anyone have a pic of what the Y pipe should look like if this isn't it?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Great info everybody!!! I appreciate it!!

I think it's a normal bolt in mine iirc, but don't quote me. The fitment is frigging EXCELLENT from what I see, plenty of room everywhere you need it and they're still in excellent shape.

I'm definately not taking them off, EVER. Never planned on it. I'm not one of the sissy whiners that goes on & on about "originality". Screw that. If GM had done it right in the first place there would BE NO aftermarket. Why keep inferior stock stamped out garbage on my car when I can make it run more efficient and gain power?? Exhaust wasn't much of a part of the 1LE package anyway, so the more mods the merrier. Like I said, anything 1LE stays, anything generic camaro gets tossed in favor of better.

These 1LE cars were made for a purpose, and damnit mine's not going to be sitting in a garage collecting dust anytime soon.

The more I drive it the more I fall in love with it. Of 30+ fairly wicked cars I've owned, this one is definately one of the coolest, even if it's one of the slowest...for now anyway.
Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it! I thought maybe you took the headers off, but they were other pictures!

These are fun cars to drive......again a little slow but they can be upgraded. Good luck with your car!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

The SLP headers and Y-pipe used a donut too, that's normal. But that's not the correct SLP Y pipe. The correct SLP Y-pipe would have a couple of slip joints, and the junction between the two down pipes is a true Y instead of a T.

Several years ago SLP had a warehouse fire. After the fire, SLP clearanced a bunch of "smoke damaged" parts. One of the parts they sold a bunch of were their headers, without the Y-pipe. As I understand it, the fire also destroyed ALL of the original tooling, and such that was used to manufacture the early parts. Between that and SLP's more recent policy that third generation F-bodies don't matter (SLP has discontinued every part made specifically for our cars), ALL of the SLP parts that fit our cars are going to become harder to find, and will never go back into production. The parts that date back to the late 80's early 90's are worth more since they were dealer offered, and used on the Firehawks, etc. But all of the parts will continue to go up in value.

The 4 into 1 SLP headers were around by 95 when I got into these cars, but they were always expensive, and have always had a good reputation for fit and finish. In my opinion they're not worth as much as the Tri-Y headers, but they've got a market as a decent header that's now unavailable new.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Thing about the SLP Tri-Y's, is they all have 1 5/8" primaries. 1 3/4" SLP's were available on the shorties, only. The workmanship on the Tri-Y's was very good. They also listed retail for $995.00, although you could get them for less.
I've had the same pair in continuous service since 1989, including about six engine swaps.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 AM

The SLP headers and Y-pipe used a donut too, that's normal. But that's not the correct SLP Y pipe. The correct SLP Y-pipe would have a couple of slip joints, and the junction between the two down pipes is a true Y instead of a T.

Several years ago SLP had a warehouse fire. After the fire, SLP clearanced a bunch of "smoke damaged" parts. One of the parts they sold a bunch of were their headers, without the Y-pipe. As I understand it, the fire also destroyed ALL of the original tooling, and such that was used to manufacture the early parts. Between that and SLP's more recent policy that third generation F-bodies don't matter (SLP has discontinued every part made specifically for our cars), ALL of the SLP parts that fit our cars are going to become harder to find, and will never go back into production. The parts that date back to the late 80's early 90's are worth more since they were dealer offered, and used on the Firehawks, etc. But all of the parts will continue to go up in value.

The 4 into 1 SLP headers were around by 95 when I got into these cars, but they were always expensive, and have always had a good reputation for fit and finish. In my opinion they're not worth as much as the Tri-Y headers, but they've got a market as a decent header that's now unavailable new.
Drew,

Thanks for all the good information. While I remembered the fire (something I was told when trying to get parts for my 1993 Firehawk) and the fact that they discontinued all the parts for our cars, I wasn't aware that they sold headers w/o Y pipes. That makes me feel better as someone just bought a set years ago and added my Y pipe to them.

I also didn't realize they had some value associated with them. I just got the headers because back in the day when I bought my first IROC in 1990, SLP parts were something I couldn't afford and I always wanted a set of thier headers.

Thanks again for your information!

Last edited by Rumblin70SS; 03-21-2010 at 07:45 AM.