History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

4 mile Iroc is back on the market

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: limited slip
4 mile Iroc is back on the market

This time its goin for 35 grand. Its for sale at oliver ford in Plymouth IN. I couldnt beleive that I live 30 minutes away from it. I want to see it in person. Heres the link.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 10-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 IROC T-Top
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: 4 mile Iroc is back on the market

For 35 big ones i can think of far more desirable cars to spend the money on....And, it s a LG4 to....
Old 10-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by flippermtc
For 35 big ones i can think of far more desirable cars to spend the money on....And, it s a LG4 to....
Hell , you can get a brand new SS for that price. Its not even TPI either AND TPI was offered that year.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: LR4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23posi/disc

Shes beautiful. I'm glad to see it washed up and supposedly running like a champ (as opposed to the video of it being pulled out of the truck)

Nice collectors car, and I hope thats what kind of life it will live after being bought..
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, keep in mind:
-This is more than likely the lowest mileage ThirdGen on the planet.
-This is THE car that was followed by thousands of people in a thread here a few months back
-This is an almost brand new IROC

In the grand scheme of things, and all things considered, $35K is not at all out of line, and who cares of you can buy an SS for that price, you can also buy a house on the south side of Chicago for that price, or a Honda Pilot. Who cares!?!?!?!??

For those that do not know the full history and scope of this car, please do the research before commenting on the price.

If this was a 4 mile 92 GTA, I would pay $35K now. I'm just not looking for an IROC.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

That is awesome!!!!! A car is only original once but it can be restored any number of times!!!! Betcha in a ten year period it would give a better ROI then Wall Street Stocks!!!!!!

Hard to put a value on it now, but IMO the asking price is more then reasonable considering what it should bring at auction in 10 years or so!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

I would say that if it had the TPI or even the L69 motor he would have a way better chance at getting that kind of money for it
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS, 87 T/A
Engine: 350 TBI, 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42/BW 3.45

Yea, i agree that 35K seems rather reasonable for a car in that condition, bearing in mind t is unique. But the minute that odometer starts turning 1 thousands of dollars start falling off the price. For what it is, a collector of Camaros would probably pay 35K for that, even though thirdgens are not terribly popular right now.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

I think it's worth 35k no other thirdgen comes close that low of miles, and plus this one hasnt even been dealer prepped yet I don't think any other thirdgen out there can say that at least that I have ever seen
Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Things like value right now and unique are not what will attract the eventual buyer... He will be attracted by a Camaro with only 4 miles on it----and the simple fact that another 10 years of well cared for storage time could well bring a huge return!!!! Picture the Barret-Jackson stage in Scottsdale, January, 2019 and here comes a Camaro with 4 miles on it!!!!!! The museum buyers and private collectors will go insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip

Originally Posted by RPM WOT L 98
Guys, keep in mind:
-This is more than likely the lowest mileage ThirdGen on the planet.
-This is THE car that was followed by thousands of people in a thread here a few months back
-This is an almost brand new IROC

In the grand scheme of things, and all things considered, $35K is not at all out of line, and who cares of you can buy an SS for that price, you can also buy a house on the south side of Chicago for that price, or a Honda Pilot. Who cares!?!?!?!??

For those that do not know the full history and scope of this car, please do the research before commenting on the price.

If this was a 4 mile 92 GTA, I would pay $35K now. I'm just not looking for an IROC.
I think to a lot of people like myself, it's how the money being spent is really being spent. If I buy a '10 SS, I can put 50k on it and it's worth $20k. If I buy this IROC and put 50k on it, it's worth $6K, in other words, this car will never be driven. Cars like this should either be museum cars or they should have never been not driven in the first place. These cars are after all meant to be driven.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM

I would imagine that any number of quite successful collectors would beg to differ with you on the "meant to be driven" comment.......

I'm a builder. Once I have a car done, tested, and dialed in I could really give a hoot about driving it. I'd rather sell it and move on to the next project....

But then, different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by 300hpse
I think to a lot of people like myself, it's how the money being spent is really being spent. If I buy a '10 SS, I can put 50k on it and it's worth $20k. If I buy this IROC and put 50k on it, it's worth $6K, in other words, this car will never be driven. Cars like this should either be museum cars or they should have never been not driven in the first place. These cars are after all meant to be driven.
I don't think that anyone who buys this car should drive it, or at least I hope not.
But one thing is for sure, I'm steering clear of the "drive it or store it in a museum" debate...
Mark
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: No
Transmission: No
Axle/Gears: No

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...mile-iroc.html
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 IROC T-Top
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I find it interesting that you would even advertise that car on AutoTrader. The target clientle that would be interested in that car & spend the money go to Barrett Jackson, Mecum, etc. Hemmings would be the only other place i would advertise it.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip

Originally Posted by radical82
But then, different strokes for different folks.
Exactly. I guess I should be clear that that is my opinion and I don't frown upon what other people do with their money. I was more so trying to counterpoint the guy who said "who cares of you can buy an SS for that price" because some of us do (and some of us don't).
Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

Def not worth it IMO. Why an LG4?? If this guy was a true collector, he would have gotten the 5.7 TPI instead. I just don't understand why this one was saved and not a better optioned one. I am with a lot of you as well on thie matter.....a 2010 SS seems like my cup of tea over this. all original muscle cars are fun to drive. They have big V8's with lots of tire spinning torque. This car, does not look fun to drive being original. Small engine with no torque. Just my .2 cents.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Car: 99 HOSS 6 Speed
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I would much rather have a 96 Grand Sport like my Avatar
Old 10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
Def not worth it IMO. Why an LG4?? If this guy was a true collector, he would have gotten the 5.7 TPI instead. I just don't understand why this one was saved and not a better optioned one. I am with a lot of you as well on thie matter.....a 2010 SS seems like my cup of tea over this. all original muscle cars are fun to drive. They have big V8's with lots of tire spinning torque. This car, does not look fun to drive being original. Small engine with no torque. Just my .2 cents.
That's because you haven't read up on the history of the car. The link is posted above on post #14. Read it.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
History is in link and explains why it is the way it is. Supposedly the guy wanted the bare bones iroc so that he could yank the motor and build a race motor for it. Never got the chance.

5.7 was not around in 85. Best that you could do with the stick shift is the L69 or TPI 5.0 with the auto.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If this was a 4 mile 92 GTA, I would pay $35K now.
AMEN to that lol!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 300hpse
Exactly. I guess I should be clear that that is my opinion and I don't frown upon what other people do with their money. I was more so trying to counterpoint the guy who said "who cares of you can buy an SS for that price" because some of us do (and some of us don't).
Well the point that I am trying to make, is that "different strokes for different folks" definitely applies here. Why would the same person that would be interested in a bare bones 85 IROC w/4 miles on it, also be interested in a new SS in the same way? The IROC is a collectors car for people like myself who are just plain nuts. Myself, I would enjoy parking that car in a bubble and knowing that I have it. I would never drive it. It would be shown for people to see and appreciate, I would not hog such a fine example just to myself. But I would not even enjoy driving it. I honestly barely enjoy driving my 2800 mile GTA bc I am always afraid of some idiot hitting me. I would be too paranoid that something might happen to it and it can not me repaired or replaced.
This is a piece of history, not a car!
A new SS, while a sweet car, is just that, a car. Or can be made into a piece of history if someone bought one and stored it un dealer prepped. But if it got wrecked, it would be easily replaceable.
Point being, comparing this car to a new SS is like comparing a Rembrandt to an F18. Sure the F18 is lots of fun, and you'll definitely think you got your money's worth of enjoyment out of it by using it, but the IROC IMO is not meant to be used and should not be compared to a new car that is readily available to be replaced after little Suzy on her way to the mall, runs a red light and broadsides it.

I know I said I was gonna stay away from this argument, sorry, couldnt resist.

And it is strange how the car is on Autotrader, what happened to Keith that was doing all the work?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM

You nailed it, man!!!! Very well said!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Oh, a better clarification to my point.

If something is rare and cannot be replaced but is important enough to be appreciated by people, it enters a new realm and is no longer what it once was when it was new.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I spoke to Keith just the other day. Things are going well for him. He continues to hope the car won't sell so he can keep taking it to shows. It must be hard being a Chevy guy working at a Ford dealer. The reason the car is on autotrader is because, like this, word will get out. The car is available for sale, but only for the right money. If the money isn't right, Keith will keep showing the car. Autotrader will run the ad for quite a while, too.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 AM

I wouldnt buy it for one reason only. I would go completly insane fearing that something might happen to it even though it would be showcased. Like say a tornado somehow plowed through my house or something. I worry myself about my own car and having a iroc with 4 miles on it would be crazy for me. I didnt mean for anyone to get p/o at the new SS comment but Im just saying that alotta people dont understand why such an underoptioned car would be so much. Myself I think its gonna double in price in a few years and think it should go to the barret jackson auction and stun everyone. Im gonna go look at it personally and admire something Ill probly never see again in my lifetime.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 AM

Well I went to Plymouth today to go see it and I was all excited and sure enough its in storage untill spring. That just proves that he really doesnt wanna sell it. I dont blame him at all.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Oh, a better clarification to my point.

If something is rare and cannot be replaced but is important enough to be appreciated by people, it enters a new realm and is no longer what it once was when it was new.
Yeah your right about that...Nowadays, i'm starting to worry a lil more about the way people drive. It's hard alone to find restoration parts if your in the process of restoring your ride like myself...only to have it "hurt" by some idiot who's probably driving a suv while talking on a cell phone, going thur a red light and not paying attention to their surroundings and then your ride is being the victim... I believe my gta is a piece of american history and losing her would just crush me, but it's the risk we take when we drive regardless how safely we drive and the enviroment we live in. i just don't wanna think negative....just be positive

anyways back to topic...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: LB9 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 9bolt BW 3.45 (G92)

original owner was from jerzy? sweet

not sure how many "no mileage" irocs there is, but im happy to see them preserved. i hope a 100 years from now people still see the beauty in a Z.

true iroc lovers understand.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM

I have no idea what the car is worth, but I doubt the restoration increased its value. If I were a collector, I would have preferred to buy the car it its orginal as-found condition.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 178 Likes on 155 Posts

If this was a 4 mile 92 GTA, I would pay $35K now. I'm just not looking for an IROC....
Don't take this the wrong way, but what would it honestly matter if it were an Iroc or a GTA though lol? With only that many miles on the clock, its not like your not going to drive it around anyway no matter what body style it is, its going to just sit there and keep appreciating in value because it is more than likely the lowest mileage 3rd gen on the planet. Although a '92 GTA w/that many miles would definitely be a steal at that price, but good luck finding one....
Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Lots of good points here I will just chime in and say well this car would not interest me because as many have pointed out a car is meant to be driven otherwise they wouldn't put a steering wheel, motor, trans or any running gear in them, my opinion has always been that every car is also meant to be crashed too, if not why would they put seat belts, air bags or crush zones in cars (and I'm not saying anyone wants this but I hope you guys get the point).

On the other hand I see why this car is so special. There is not another car in this condition nor will there ever be. If I had the money and a museum like place or dealership to display the car I would definitely buy the car, who wouldn't? But in my financial situation and no decent place to display (not store) the car it does not interest me. Also my wife would never let me buy it.

So I will say this the people that are gonna want this car in my opinion are people that 3rd gen camaros are special to (maybe a first car or something) and are financially able to buy the car without having to mortgage the house. Unfortunately most people with 3rd gens at this time are driving them because they can't afford a better car and I know there are exceptions to the rule. Personally I have always liked 3rd gens and the fact that they are reasonable and parts are also reasonable makes them that much more appealing but my question to anybody who likes working on cars is who wouldn't want a 3rd gen.

Whatever the intentions of the seller whether he really wants to sell it or not I just hope it goes to somebody who appreciates how special this car really is.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 AM

Car: 91 GTA & 92 GTA & 92 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI & 350 TPI & 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 & 3.23 & 3.23

If this was a 4 mile 92 GTA, I would pay $35K now.
Originally Posted by 92GTA
AMEN to that lol!!!
I would too but only if it were a 350 yellow or blue one.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Car: '83 WS6 T/A 65,000 miles
Engine: 5.0L vin H stock, 406SBC right now
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Corp. 3.73

I personally can't believe some knuckle head has it for sale on Auto Trader. (well, I actually can) What's worse is that some other knuckle head will buy it, register it, drive it and trash it.

As a collectable, it has some value being that it has the original markings and stickers besides the lack of miles. It does belong in the hands of a true collector that will store it as is. Hemmings or Barrett is the only place for this car.

Rare? Maybe not. Valuable as an automobile? Not really. Collectable? Yes. Valuable to a collector? Sort of...it's no Pantera, Hemi Dart or Shelby.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Davemutt
I have no idea what the car is worth, but I doubt the restoration increased its value. If I were a collector, I would have preferred to buy the car it its orginal as-found condition.

Keep it AS FOUND. Show its TRUE heritage.....IMHO
Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice time capsule car
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Davemutt
...but I doubt the restoration increased its value.
It was stored, not restored. A wash job was about all the resto it got I'm sure.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM

The restoration included finding the correct rims and tires with lugnuts, getting the engine running again and a full wash and buff. That's it! It was not restored in any capacity. This car is all original with 5 miles on it. The "knucklehead" that owns it knows what it is and it's worth. It is currently in the hands of a collector and is only for sale for the right money. The car has been through the Mecum auction house and the money offered was close, but not quite close enough. What's actually kinda funny is the statement about a Pantera being more collectible than a 5 mile IROC-Z. To Chevy collectors, this is a very collectible car and also very valuable since it is probably the lowest mile 85 IROC-Z on the planet!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Okay, so I was talking out of my (you know) in reference to the knuckle head owner, but my post came out rather pessimistic. I'm glad it's in good handsm, so many nice cars go to Joe Dirt.
I was trying to elude to it's value as a collectable to GM people without unduly hyping it up. It is rare at 4 miles, otherwise not an uncommon car. I didn't mean to be negative.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: No
Transmission: No
Axle/Gears: No

I remember from one of the threads about it that hood struts and underhood insulation were replaced too.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 AM

That's true and a few other simple things were done, however, they don't constitute a restoration. My car is considered original and unrestored, but I've replaced normal wear items and a few other things just to keep the car looking new.