History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

father/son 1991 formula

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
father/son 1991 formula

Thanks guys for all of the input and help. We would not be this far along with out all of the vast resources here. I must confess, I am a mopar nut through and through. I have taken my son to car shows since before he could walk. He wanted my 73 cuda for his first car, but I would have any of that. Besides mopars are expensive to replace parts on and keep running. I encouraged him to look around and see what he liked. Fuel injection cars are easier to start and run even when cold.

Something occured to me the other day. One of the recycling yards we went to on Friday for the hatch pull down is the very same yard I bought parts from to get my 66 Chevelle running (my first car) almost 25 years ago.

Background: 1991 Formula Firebird, 305 TBI, automatic, stock wheels, suspension is all still there and so is the rear spoiler. Car didn't run when we looked at it. Bought it prior to it going to a recycler. Car was delivered on a trailer. My wife had that look in her eye.

fixed so far:
- main wire harness behind dash fried. We tore the interior completely out. I replaced, spliced, and soldered about 15 different wires. Completley replaced the harness to the gear selector under the console. This all was brought about by the cigerette lighter short.

- While dash was out we replaced the heater core.

- Power windows, door locks and power mirrors now work like they should. See wire issue above.

- Power hatch release works see wire harness problem above.

- Hatch pull down works. I replaced the reversing limit switch. I need to order new guides from TDS.

- I got the locking lug nuts off using the 20 mm socket trick found on this sight. We can do a brake job.

- Engine now starts and idles. No coolant leaks inside or outside.

Up next:
- Transmission doesnt shift into forward or reverse. Fluid is low. We need to drop the trans pan and see what the deal is. I'm going to replace the filter before adding more fluid.

- Driver door makes a popping sound when opened.

- Would like to replace T-top seals right above door or find a good used pair.

- Body damage to both front fenders. I hope the passenger side will pop out with a littler persuasion from behind. Will be replacing driver side.

This is a kick. I'm even thinking I need to pick up another third gen for me to play with. I may have to trade my 65 Belvederre.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 AM

Car: 1991 Formula (sold)
Re: father/son 1991 formula

Father and son projects are so cool. Im also a long time Mopar man and have owner two 70 Challenger, 72 Charger, 74 Rallye Charger, 68 Cuda, 71 Duster, and my last Mopar was a 73 Cuda 340 4spd. The one thing I really like about Mopars is the smell and the Cuda/Challenger rallye gauge package and hood line.

I have found my 91 Formula gauge package reminds me of my Cuda, plus I love the offset scoop it also remind me of my old Mopar.

So enjoy the time spent with your son, he will always remember the time spent with pops
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

My son is 5 going on 2 and 12 all at the same time. I cant wait until we start doing this.. Of course it might not make the wife happy, so I will have to be careful about that.

John
Old 09-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 vert, 1988 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI, 305 Carb-finally runs!
Transmission: TH-700R4/BW WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen 10-bolt/BW 9 bolt

Originally Posted by oldmoparbuff
Thanks guys for all of the input and help. We would not be this far along with out all of the vast resources here. I must confess, I am a mopar nut through and through. I have taken my son to car shows since before he could walk. He wanted my 73 cuda for his first car, but I would have any of that. Besides mopars are expensive to replace parts on and keep running. I encouraged him to look around and see what he liked. Fuel injection cars are easier to start and run even when cold.

Something occured to me the other day. One of the recycling yards we went to on Friday for the hatch pull down is the very same yard I bought parts from to get my 66 Chevelle running (my first car) almost 25 years ago.

Background: 1991 Formula Firebird, 305 TBI, automatic, stock wheels, suspension is all still there and so is the rear spoiler. Car didn't run when we looked at it. Bought it prior to it going to a recycler. Car was delivered on a trailer. My wife had that look in her eye.

fixed so far:
- main wire harness behind dash fried. We tore the interior completely out. I replaced, spliced, and soldered about 15 different wires. Completley replaced the harness to the gear selector under the console. This all was brought about by the cigerette lighter short.

- While dash was out we replaced the heater core.

- Power windows, door locks and power mirrors now work like they should. See wire issue above.

- Power hatch release works see wire harness problem above.

- Hatch pull down works. I replaced the reversing limit switch. I need to order new guides from TDS.

- I got the locking lug nuts off using the 20 mm socket trick found on this sight. We can do a brake job.

- Engine now starts and idles. No coolant leaks inside or outside.

Up next:
- Transmission doesnt shift into forward or reverse. Fluid is low. We need to drop the trans pan and see what the deal is. I'm going to replace the filter before adding more fluid.

- Driver door makes a popping sound when opened.

- Would like to replace T-top seals right above door or find a good used pair.

- Body damage to both front fenders. I hope the passenger side will pop out with a littler persuasion from behind. Will be replacing driver side.

This is a kick. I'm even thinking I need to pick up another third gen for me to play with. I may have to trade my 65 Belvederre.

Just a thought, I had an 88 Camaro that had the door pop when opened. Open the door all the way and grab it by the bottom and lift up. If the door has any up and down slack in (you'll be able to tell), it's time for new door pins and bushings. On my Camaro, I also had to get new hinges. It was a wee pricey, but well worth it. But chances are, it just needs new pins and bushings, the doors on these cars are rather heavy and the pins and bushings wear quick. Try and get a set that have a greasable fitting; that way you can keep fresh grease in them, that will help them last longer.

Once you do that, those doors will swing open and shut as if on a cushion of air. It will be effortless and be great.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 AM

update:

- removed transmission pan, welded in a drain plug.

- replaced filter and pan. New fluid.

- fixed a huge fluid leak. Someone cross threaded transmission coolant line at radiator.

- replaced t-top seals with good used seals.

- Car has made 2 trips to the grange and back under it's own power.

Up next:
-Tags, insurance and gas.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Too many

Sounds like you're making a lot of progress. Good luck with it!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Tags, title and insurance taken care of.

Car made the longest trip so far, about 12 miles. Temp was a little up by the time we got home, around 210 on the guage.

Quite by accident we found out that the cooling fan only comes on with the heat/AC fan switch??????

Made another 12 mile round trip, son driving, t-tops off, about 60 degrees. I would have done the same thing at his age. Reminds me of my younger days with my motorcycle going to a girls house in the fall. 70 and sunny on the way there. 60, cold and dark on the way home, no coat or gloves. Burrrrrrrr

Some new issues to correct:

- cooling fan.
- speedometer.
-windshield wipers don't work.
- loose column lock on tilt.
-valve cover gasket leak.
-odd clunk on acceleration. Tranny mount?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

oldmoparbuff-that's cool -you 2 working together,teaching & learning from eachother as you go!
I like the Duster//Demon & 'Cuda//Challenger body styles.I love//hate the Daytona Super Bird.(Is that the one with the back wing?)It's so ugly you gotta stare at it then it kinda grows on you
Thanks for sharing your journey......
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

- cooling fan.
On my 87, when I had the LG4 (4bbl), the engine fan was directly controlled by sliding the controls to AC... When I converted to TPI, I noticed that there was a high pressure switch by the condenser that controlled one of the fans.

Here is what I remember, ti has been a long time. There is a temperature switch on the engine block that also controls the fan, it was not ECM controlled. However were talking about a LO3 not an LG4, so some things may have been changed. I know on the 87+ TPI cars there are two fans, one is controlled by the ECM, the other is controlled by either the AC switch or the high temp switch on the block.

Not sure if that helped at all or not.

- speedometer.
what appears to be the problem

- loose column lock on tilt.
This is very common on 90-92's let me guess when you pull on the steering wheel it moves down a little...

-odd clunk on acceleration. Tranny mount?
If you hear the clunk on the floor, then more than likely yes, that would be a place to start. Of course it may be another engine mount...

John
Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 PM

Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10

Originally Posted by okfoz
- cooling fan.
Here is what I remember, it has been a long time. There is a temperature switch on the engine block that also controls the fan, it was not ECM controlled. However were talking about a LO3 not an LG4, so some things may have been changed. I know on the 87+ TPI cars there are two fans, one is controlled by the ECM, the other is controlled by either the AC switch or the high temp switch on the block.

Not sure if that helped at all or not.
Hey John,

My 86 LG4 has the temp switch in the passenger head. To test the fan out you can pull the connector off the sensor and take a jumper wire from the connector to a good ground. This should cause the fan to turn on when the ignition is also turned on. I made a manual "on" switch like this by adding a wire to the harness to a switch tied to ground.

Also the stock one doesn't kick on until around 210 so thats why I installed the switch, then I got a 180* sensor.