History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

**Project PITA** 86 TA frame up restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro vert
Engine: ls1 soon
Transmission: t56 soon
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt 4.10 soon!
Re: **Project PITA** 86 TA frame up restoration

I've been meaning to ask. What kinda paint is that? I like how it turned out and would like to do the same.. y didn't u cover the floors in the dyno matting instead of just patches?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
Really? WOW thats terrible!! we have a very strong muscle car scene here in CT but I can imagine that if people had to pass emissions in a 75 or newer car we would have a lot less muscle cars lol. MA just passed a law stating that no car OBD1 or older has to go through emmissions which means only 96 and up cars need a sniff test! IMO though emmission tests are BS. My brothers carbed 350 with heads and a huge cam as well as a holley 750 carb passed WITHOUT a cat....no detuning or anything, yet they'll still fail it for not having a cat in place. Honestly if a car can pass, why is it a necesity to have a cat? Such a corrupt test.
Only reason we have it is because Oregon has always been a big state about the environment. The only reason why the law says 1975 and up is because that was the first year that cars were required to have smog material on it. If the smog material was required on all new cars in 1965 for example, then the law would say 1965 and up.

A lot of older cars get junked around here because people don't want to try and have to tune up the car so that it can pass smog. I think the only reason I passed last time was because the person put me as a 3.1L instead of a 5L while testing
Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42

By mistake or to help a guy out?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Project 3.4 Camaro
By mistake or to help a guy out?
Probably to help me out because I had already gone through 5 times and I was way off. So then I went through a sixth time and he said I passed. I looked at the little sheet and it said 3.1L. The guy was cool and liked the car so I think he probably rigged it.

This was bad when I first got the car though and needed to get it plated for Oregon (it was originally a Washington car). Since then I've stopped all the vacuum leaks, replaced the EGR (the wrong one was on the car when I got it) and have done a ton of tuning up. I think it should pass this time no problem.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

Originally Posted by quickkris2006
I've been meaning to ask. What kinda paint is that? I like how it turned out and would like to do the same.. y didn't u cover the floors in the dyno matting instead of just patches?
If your talking about the black paint on the floors then it's "SEM chassis coat black." Great stuff and it gets nice and hard like POR15. As for the lack of full coverage on the floors with the dynamat, it's because of 2 things. First, I read online in a few places that you do not need to cover anywhere near the entire floor to get the same results as if the floor was completely covered. You only need to cover the flat areas since the areas with sharp edges and/or multiple layers of metal don't need dampening since there is little to no flexing in those areas (IE where the seat bracing is).

And the 2nd reason was that I am trying to make a nice balance of sound dampening and weight savings. If I were to completely cover the floor I would easily add double the weight of the amount of dynamat thats on there now. I'm sure the car will drive much quieter than stock since there was nothing originally from the factory there!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS w/t-tops
Engine: BBC 396 .090 over (414)
Transmission: LS1 T-56
Axle/Gears: Shortened Ford 9, 3.25, discs, posi

Not to be nosy, but I am, I'm gonna be dynomatting soon... how much did all yours set you back? and how much of what kind did you get? I kinda remeber there being multiple kinds on the summit website. I may be wrong but w/e
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

If your talking about the black paint on the floors then it's "SEM chassis coat black." Great stuff and it gets nice and hard like POR15. As for the lack of full coverage on the floors with the dynamat, it's because of 2 things. First, I read online in a few places that you do not need to cover anywhere near the entire floor to get the same results as if the floor was completely covered. You only need to cover the flat areas since the areas with sharp edges and/or multiple layers of metal don't need dampening since there is little to no flexing in those areas (IE where the seat bracing is).

And the 2nd reason was that I am trying to make a nice balance of sound dampening and weight savings. If I were to completely cover the floor I would easily add double the weight of the amount of dynamat thats on there now. I'm sure the car will drive much quieter than stock since there was nothing originally from the factory there!
If you just had carpet then probably someone pulled out the matting, my car had rubber backed carpet and a layer of matting under that, pretty much the same stuff used under house carpets, probably shed 20-50 lbs between the two of them, granted some areas were like...frozen to the floor
Pretty sure I have narrowed down that issue to the window/t-top weatherstripping, its kind of messed up on the corner and I believe thats where I was leaking a bit of water.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by iluvmy91camaro
Not to be nosy, but I am, I'm gonna be dynomatting soon... how much did all yours set you back? and how much of what kind did you get? I kinda remeber there being multiple kinds on the summit website. I may be wrong but w/e
Buy it off ebay, trust me. You will save so much money and it is the real deal Dynamat brand. I bought the "bulk" kit which is 9 sheets per kit of 18"x32" sheets. Jegs had each pack listed at $220 a peice. I got mine from a reputable seller on ebay with a gazillion feedback for $160 per kit. Same part number, description, everything and it worked out awesome. Had it to my door in 2 days.

Heres the title along with the part number for the ebay ad I bought mine on. Sellers name was "webdealin." In the quantity, I entered 2 packs but I havn't even gotten through the first one yet on what you see on my car so far (have 2 full sheets left).

Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Car Audio Bulk Pack 9 Sheets NEW

If you just had carpet then probably someone pulled out the matting, my car had rubber backed carpet and a layer of matting under that, pretty much the same stuff used under house carpets, probably shed 20-50 lbs between the two of them, granted some areas were like...frozen to the floor
Pretty sure I have narrowed down that issue to the window/t-top weatherstripping, its kind of messed up on the corner and I believe thats where I was leaking a bit of water.
I replaced my original carpet with an ACC one years ago. I do remember the factory one being more padded and much heavier though so you are correct. Even still though the factory padding on the carpet won't stop vibration in the floor....it will only deaden sound coming through the carpet itself so we'll see how much of an improvement the dynamat makes. Hopefully it's a good one lol.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Ok, sweet. I've gotten a lot of quality stuff on ebay but since I live 5 mins from the Summit HQ in Tallmadge, OH I usually just go buy it right from the store since its a sweet place to kill time, and money. Someone always has a project out there....
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

i have a question for you what sealant did you put over your welds?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BigJon88
i have a question for you what sealant did you put over your welds?
I didn't weld anything on the car, but if you mean the seam sealer that I used on the factory sheet metal seam areas, then it was 3M I believe. I'm honestly not sure what it was called. I just go to the body supply store by me and tell them what I'm doing and they hand me a product lol. They know they're stuff though.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Got some more dynamating done today and also got new gaskets and all the hardware to put my LS6 intake on. No pics of the dynamat yet but heres a few of the intake. Should be getting my chassis harness sometime by the end of next week and then the fun begins, lol.

Name:  DSC01393.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  DSC01394.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  88.4 KB

I will be selling kits of all the upper LSx engine bolts as well (fuel rail, throttle body, manifold) so if anyone needs anything let me know!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 PM

I'm gettin excited..... hahaha. I'm at like the same stage on my camaro. its to the point where I'm so anxious to get it drivable and fry some tires off. I spin em in my civic...when its wet. its just not even close to being the same
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM

Your engine is looking really good! I'm not a huge fan of the LS engines but yours sure is clean looking.

Your whole car looks great. I can't wait to see what the finished project looks like
Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger
Your engine is looking really good! I'm not a huge fan of the LS engines but yours sure is clean looking.

Your whole car looks great. I can't wait to see what the finished project looks like
Thanks for the kind words!

And as an update, I am VERY happy to say that dynamat is completely finished except for a few small patches on the doors that I will be doing. I have to admit, it was not enjoyable at all to put that stuff in but the whole car just seems so much more solid and the metal does not "tang" at all when you knock on it as opposed to before. I think it will be a noticable in-car difference from stock, especially combined with the neoprene padding. Also bolted in one of my Corbeau LG1 seats just to get a feel of the seating position and i LOVE it. Very comfortable seat and it looks awesome in the car. Heres a few pics.

Name:  DSC01411.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  DSC01413.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  DSC01412.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  125.8 KB
Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 AM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.43

man looks good
Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi

Hey, man my hat is definitely off to you... been following this since day one.

Question: You involved in aviation? I am a licensed A/P, and my specialty is avionics. You have a safety streamer hanging from the steering wheel that looks like the ones we used to hang from pitot tubes.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ternandes
Hey, man my hat is definitely off to you... been following this since day one.

Question: You involved in aviation? I am a licensed A/P, and my specialty is avionics. You have a safety streamer hanging from the steering wheel that looks like the ones we used to hang from pitot tubes.
Thanks for the compliment! And as far as the safety streamer, I used to work at a place called Hamilton Sundstrand. They do a lot of flight and space equipment so I picked up a couple from there that were going to get thrown away. Figured it would be a funny thing to throw on at a car show or something.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt

Nice to see it coming along. If I'm in CT maybe I'll see your car running around if I'm lucky. NJ has the same deal with inspections, at least with QQ plates. If you have QQ plates on the car then it doesn't matter they don't inspect it. But the catch is you're not supposed to drive it daily. I had no intention of driving my TA daily except in the summer on nice days. Longer trips I'll do too. I agree with what was said on the previous page. If a car passes the sniffer test then it should pass no matter what it has. Hell...I bet your car will blow cleaner than stock with the newer motor lol.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird

Allow me to give you your 1,001st compliment. Amazing job. It is nice to see someone doing the job right and with great detail. I hope to do the same to my Firebird eventually. I'm envious of your garage. (It looks like a 3 car, right?) I have a two car garage without deep sides that the Bird shares with the Vette, so space will be an issue. The hardest part about beginning this project is knowing I won't be able to drive the Bird for a long time! See you on the streets soon
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by florida_gators
Allow me to give you your 1,001st compliment. Amazing job. It is nice to see someone doing the job right and with great detail. I hope to do the same to my Firebird eventually. I'm envious of your garage. (It looks like a 3 car, right?) I have a two car garage without deep sides that the Bird shares with the Vette, so space will be an issue. The hardest part about beginning this project is knowing I won't be able to drive the Bird for a long time! See you on the streets soon
Thank you very much! And my garage is actually just a larger than average 2 car. Me and my brother have been trying so hard to keep it clean and un-cluttered but there is just so much junk in there that it's tough sometimes.

And as far as starting a project like this, it is pretty hard in the beggining. When I started stripping mine, I knew there was no turning back. You get to a certain point where you even consider if it's worth it. I actually put it on hold for months toward the beggining and contemplated selling it. Then I got bored one day and slowly started working on it and changed my mind. It's at the point now where my freinds stop by on a daily basis to check out the progress and the car has become an image of me and what I would want in a car. It's stuck with me for life now!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Well, if you ever get sick of it, drop it by Florida and I'll "take it off your hands!" You can just leave it in my driveway!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Well, if you ever get sick of it, drop it by Florida and I'll "take it off your hands!" You can just leave it in my driveway!!!
Haha, I'll be sure to keep that in mind, but you may be waiting for a while.

And some good news, I just ordered the painless chassis harness and the fittings I needed to get the fuel line attached to the fuel rail. Should be a good next weekend! If I can bang out the chassis harness in a week or so, the entire interior goes back together. FINALLY!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

One last question, and if this was in your string I apologize, but do you have any background in mechanics? I know you said you didn't as far as body work goes, and the work you did is amazing with no experience. You seem to know how to do a lot that is over my head in terms of mechanical work. (I don't even know how to pull my own engine out to paint the engine bay.) Just wondering if a lawyer who has no mechanical foresight at all should undertake such a project, or if it's best paying someone to do this for me. I've learned as I went for easy stuff such as replacing engine parts (alternator, starter, etc.), but just wondered how much I really need to know before tearing the car apart. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 91 GTA, 73 Z28
Engine: 355, 6.0L
Transmission: TH350, 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.73

not to but in and take his weustion from him, but if your that worried about forgetting where something goes, then use a video camaro, take pictures, organize everything from bolts/nuts/wires etc, document things, and just take it slow, thats how i learned..that and model cars. always take your time and do it good, who cares if something take you a day that someone else could do in an hour. and if you forget where something goes im willing to bet someone could tell you and show you a picture. and as far as tearing it apart, do it in steps if you have too
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 PM

Car: 89 325is, 91 z28
Engine: 2.5l 6, l98
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

just curious how much dynamat did you get? and where from?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

One last question, and if this was in your string I apologize, but do you have any background in mechanics? I know you said you didn't as far as body work goes, and the work you did is amazing with no experience. You seem to know how to do a lot that is over my head in terms of mechanical work. (I don't even know how to pull my own engine out to paint the engine bay.) Just wondering if a lawyer who has no mechanical foresight at all should undertake such a project, or if it's best paying someone to do this for me. I've learned as I went for easy stuff such as replacing engine parts (alternator, starter, etc.), but just wondered how much I really need to know before tearing the car apart. Thanks.
I have been playing with cars since I was 16. I had one automotive job at a shop doing minor things like brake jobs and the likes and then I've worked at 3 parts stores (autozone, advance auto, and napa). I teach myself everything I know. It really isn't too hard at all as long as your willing to accept the fact that you will screw up here and there and when you do, you just fix it and make it better. With the vast amount of info on the net these days, I see no reason that someone with not much mechanical skill couldn't take on a project like this. I have used google SO many times to find the info I need to do something that I wasn't originally sure about. Theres an excellent source of info out there and if you are patient and search for it you can do anything. Just takes lots of research, but I am always willing to learn and love seeing how other people online have done things before I tackle it for myself. That way I can pick the best way that I think it should be done and go from there.

Originally Posted by resop27
just curious how much dynamat did you get? and where from?
I got it on ebay and I bought 2 bulk boxes (9 sheets in each box).

Last edited by whitedevilTA; 04-12-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 PM

any more progress??
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by iluvmy91camaro
any more progress??
Chassis harness and some fuel fittings I ordered will be here tomorrow. Then the fun begins! Should have some progress pics in the next day or two.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Car: 83 Pontiac Trans Am Recaro
Engine: Crossfire 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10 posi

Can't wait to see the next progress pics.... this thread is like a drug... I have to check it a couple times a day to see if I've missed anything... lol....
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: V8 305 TPI

not sure if it was covered here, but how much POR 15 did you use, trying to figure out how much i need for the interior, what other products did you use with the POR?

beautiful project, going to be amazing when complete!!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Got the chassis harness and my fuel fittings today. Started to play with the harness a little and it seems like it's not going to be bad at all. Hopefully it goes smooth. I Don't know of anyone that has actually documented a painless chassis harness install into a 3rd gen so I guess I'll be the guinea pig lol.

Heres where the fuel line comes up from the tank into the engine bay
Name:  DSC01431.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  93.0 KB

And heres the routing to the fuel rails. All -8AN line.
Name:  DSC01430.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  88.4 KB

I want this painless universal harness to be as "factory" appearing as I can get it so I modified the stock fuseblock holder to work with the painless fuse block and it came out great!

Ooooooooh, fun! LOL, not.
Name:  DSC01434.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  164.8 KB

Also had my brother sandblast my T-top seal rails and re-painted them and installed them. Came out nice.
Name:  DSC01435.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  82.2 KB

The paint looks so awesome at night. Almost a candy apple red. For some reason my camera brightens the image even with the flash off so it didn't come out. O well, just take my word for it!
Name:  DSC01440.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  87.1 KB
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by aqualordx93
not sure if it was covered here, but how much POR 15 did you use, trying to figure out how much i need for the interior, what other products did you use with the POR?

beautiful project, going to be amazing when complete!!
I bought a quart of SEM chassis coat black (similiar to POR15) and still have some left and I've used it on a ton of stuff like the floorpan, front steering parts, etc. Great stuff. I would imagine you should be fin with just a quart of whatever you go with.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

Just out of curiosity how are you liking the nylon mesh fuel hose? I'm torn between nylon braid or SS braid for when I eventually replace my fuel lines, they both have some pros and cons. Does it seem plenty durable or noticeably lighter than ss hose if you've handled it before? (I'm a pretty avid weight **** which has me leaning toward nylon, but SS would be more durable and looks pretty slick)
Also I'm assuming nylon since its the most common non metal mesh, but I know a few other materials are also used, but still curious how you like it if its another material.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

Just out of curiosity how are you liking the nylon mesh fuel hose? I'm torn between nylon braid or SS braid for when I eventually replace my fuel lines, they both have some pros and cons. Does it seem plenty durable or noticeably lighter than ss hose if you've handled it before? (I'm a pretty avid weight **** which has me leaning toward nylon, but SS would be more durable and looks pretty slick)
Also I'm assuming nylon since its the most common non metal mesh, but I know a few other materials are also used, but still curious how you like it if its another material.
Oh my god, I've used both and I would say nylon 100% hands down. If you try it you will be amazed at how easy it is to use, cut, and the looks as well. I love the factory like appearance it has over the SS stuff. It is SO much more flexible and can be made into bends that you could never dream of with SS line. Have you ever tried to cut SS line? It's a joke lol. You have to use a hack saw and even then it makes a mess. Plus, getting the nylon line into the fittings is a breeze compared to SS line. As you can see I'm pretty dead set on it. I can't express how much I fell in love with the nylon stuff. I'll never go back to SS braided again to be honest with you. Hope that helps you.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

I was already leaning towards nylon heavily on account of being a weight freak, but now theres no question, nylon it is!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: '96 T56, Hurst Shifter, Mech VSS
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I hope your gonna insure the crap out of this thing. It would suck if something happened, it got totaled and the insurance company gave you only a couple g's for it.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Man...Im so jealous of how meticulous you are being. I have no patience for that sort of detail anymore haha.

LOVE how things are turning out man.

Really anxious to see how the painless kit works for you. Im a minimalist when it comes to wiring. The factory has so many wires and splits and circuits piggy backed on to each other. And doing your own wiring is VERY rewarding. Not only from an accomplishment standpoint, but if something malfunctions, YOU know where the wires are and how the circuits are laid out. I dont even need a wiring diagram for my car anymore haha.

Ide love to gut mine and go with a new harness though. Ide still need all my lights, wipers, radio, etc...which Im sure isnt an issue.

Im also glad to hear you like the nylon line. I was going to upgrade to all braided stainless on my car at some point, but am now leaning towards the nylon. Can you use existing Russel fittings that are on stainless lines with the nylon line? I imagine you can...

Keep it up!!

J.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

The fittings to the best of my knowledge work with either braided hose type, ie. if it works for one of ss or nylon, it should also work for the other.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Man...Im so jealous of how meticulous you are being. I have no patience for that sort of detail anymore haha.

LOVE how things are turning out man.

Really anxious to see how the painless kit works for you. Im a minimalist when it comes to wiring. The factory has so many wires and splits and circuits piggy backed on to each other. And doing your own wiring is VERY rewarding. Not only from an accomplishment standpoint, but if something malfunctions, YOU know where the wires are and how the circuits are laid out. I dont even need a wiring diagram for my car anymore haha.

Ide love to gut mine and go with a new harness though. Ide still need all my lights, wipers, radio, etc...which Im sure isnt an issue.

Im also glad to hear you like the nylon line. I was going to upgrade to all braided stainless on my car at some point, but am now leaning towards the nylon. Can you use existing Russel fittings that are on stainless lines with the nylon line? I imagine you can...

Keep it up!!

J.
Thanks man! Yea I noticed that the factory harness probably has double the amount of wire that the painless kit has and it all does the same thing. Theres probably 10 relays and boxes behine the dash alone which are all being removed. The painless kit has everything the car has pre-wired up besides the electric trunk motor and a rear defroster which I will wire myself. Other than that it's basically plug and play. Should be real nice knowing everything is new and simple....the way I like it!

And as project 3.4 said the AN fittings work with either nylon or braided line so you should be all set.

As for insuring this car....to be honest with you I am probably going to insure it as just a regular 86 TA and not have it appraised. Theres 2 reasons for that. First, insurance on an 86 TA in good condition these days is around $5-$6K dollars which is pretty good, and 2nd I don't want to pay a premium for insurance. This is my fun car that will come out on weekends and nice days and I don't want to be spending a ton of money for it to be sitting in a garage insured. In all honesty, and I'll cross my fingers it never happenes, but if the car ever was actually totalled, I could probably part it out for almost what I have into it due to all the aftermarket goodies.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 299 Likes on 235 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4

This is my fun car that will come out on weekends and nice days and I don't want to be spending a ton of money for it to be sitting in a garage insured.
I would get collector car insurance if that is the case. I have Hagerty on my 73 Camaro and it is insured for $15,000 and it is under $400 for the year. The only thing you have to provide is that you have a daily driver car so they know you wont be driving that one all the time
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scooter
I would get collector car insurance if that is the case. I have Hagerty on my 73 Camaro and it is insured for $15,000 and it is under $400 for the year. The only thing you have to provide is that you have a daily driver car so they know you wont be driving that one all the time
Yeah I would register it as a classic and get collector car insurance as well.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Yeah I would register it as a classic and get collector car insurance as well.
I dont think he has to get it registered as a classic for collector car insurance. My friend has Hagerty on his 02 TA and regular plates on it.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

I know you don't, though I am pretty sure it makes car insurance cheaper.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt

Well if the accident's not your fault then you can just sue the crap out of the other party lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Car: 92 25th anv z28
Engine: 346 TC78 Turbo
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.25 9"Nodular, Strange axles

MAn yor cars coming along good! It's almost a waste to carpet your interior with how pretty it is lol. Whats the max miles per year on classic car insurance anyways?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

I'm wanting to say 5 or 10k, but I don't recall for sure, just remember it being pretty damned low.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Started playing with the chassis harness today and I honestly don't think it's going to be bad at all. The way painless pre-labels everything is awesome and I already basically have all the wiring run to the correct spots in the car. Heres a few in progress shots. Wiring is more complete than the pics show but I'll get farther along shots once it's pretty much completely run.

Starting to lay things out where they will end up
Name:  DSC01443.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  147.2 KB

They include much more wire than you'd ever need lol
Name:  DSC01444.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  143.1 KB

Dome light wiring run in the factory spot
Name:  DSC01445.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  70.8 KB
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blownz28man
Whats the max miles per year on classic car insurance anyways?
No mileage restriction with Hagerty and it is a true "agreed value" policy.

Quick Reply: **Project PITA** 86 TA frame up restoration