History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

'88 Camaro Berlinetta?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 Camaro Berlinetta?

Hi, I'm new to the forums, I've only recently gained an interest in cars and I'm looking at buying a camaro.

The Camaro in question is a 1988 Berlinetta, after browsing the site for a bit I found that they stopped making the berlinetta model in 1986. the engine is a 4.3 liter vortec, or so it says, I'm not sure that these are stock camaro engines in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't.I was hoping to get you r opinion on the engine quality, and it's various faults, if any. dynamax/flowmaster exhaust, clearly aftermarket. 350 turbo 3 speed automatic transmission. deep green exterior, not sure if this is stock or custom, I've never seen a green camaro before. it has 91 bumpers/side skirts, and will also include the original 88 parts. no headliner. glass t-top.120,000 miles on it. broken headlight switch(could possibly be fuse or relay?), nd it hasn't been started in 3 weeks, the last attempt at starting it(2 days ago) it did not start, this is most likely the battery. cost of the car is 1,600.

I'd like to know what you guys think of the parts, condition, etc. I'm not entirely familiar with cars just yet so I only have basic knowledge for the most part. and allow me to clarify, I'm not selling the car, I'm looking at buying it and was just hoping to get some information from people who know what they're talking about.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Car: 88 gta
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Re: '88 Camaro Berlinetta?

Stay away. I love third gens, and 88 is a great year, but that car has been changed so much that you will never be able to trace down all of the mismatched parts. And this parts are not highly desirable, so it is most likely just parts they had around, so who knows there quality.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 Chevy Avalanche
Engine: Some that run, some that don't
Transmission: 700R4's, a T-5, and a Turbo 350

There were definitely no Berlinettas in '88 and no thirdgen ever came with a 4.3 V6. A 2.8 V6 was the only V6 used in '88. It may have a 4.3 in it now but it's definitely NOT original.

I'm sure you can find a LOT better car for $1600.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks, I'm not interested in a stock camaro exactly, I love the body styling but of them alot, under the hood can change and I really wont mind. but the fact that the car sounds like a junkyard mash up isn't very appealing. it says alot of parts have been upgraded/replaced, I'm not sure about that though.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Sounds like a huge headache. Definitely pass on that car. I've seen (and owned) enough of these to know what people do to them. Look for a V8 car. Much more options if you're interested in modifications, and you seem to be. Even if it's just a base model 305 car, you have infinitely more freedom with it. Look for a 91-92, they are the newest of the thirdgens and the most well-made.

Last edited by Darkshot; 02-14-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 AM

guess this really isn't woth my time, thanks for al the info, but for more clairification i'm putting up some pics of it, can't hurt right?
Attached Thumbnails '88 Camaro Berlinetta?-camaro-1.jpg   '88 Camaro Berlinetta?-camaro-2.jpg   '88 Camaro Berlinetta?-camaro-3.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 AM

more pics

EDIT: if I asked the seller to lower it(cause thereain't nothin available in jersey in my price range) what should I ask him to lower it too? I mean for th emost part I assume it runs so, idk. like I said, I'm new to this and the availablity around here is crap
Attached Thumbnails '88 Camaro Berlinetta?-camaro-5.jpg   '88 Camaro Berlinetta?-camaro-7.jpg   '88 Camaro Berlinetta?-camaro-8.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 Chevy Avalanche
Engine: Some that run, some that don't
Transmission: 700R4's, a T-5, and a Turbo 350

It looks to be a Berlinetta. Maybe he's got the year wrong and it's not actually an '88. If not, the car was put together with a bunch of Berlinetta parts. I'm sure you can find a much better car for the money.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:37 AM

they stopped making Berlinettas in 86 right? what's the defining feature of it? and now i'm confused as hell lol, they say it's 88, with 91 parts, Berlinettas stopped being made in 86, so if the parts look Berlinetta, then they must be the "88" part on it, which means the 91 parts are the ones that are loose, god, this guy has his head up his **** for sure. BUT, my father is a mechanic, and he's seen and delt with alot of cars, perhaps he can tell me if this car is everything it's supposed to be, and not the hacked up peice of junk the seller says it is. or it''s crap, I'm still going to check it out, but I might not buy it, probably wont.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt

Originally Posted by Desarial
EDIT: if I asked the seller to lower it(cause thereain't nothin available in jersey in my price range) what should I ask him to lower it too? I mean for th emost part I assume it runs so, idk. like I said, I'm new to this and the availablity around here is crap
oh I've found some interesting cars for cheap in NJ, my brother found a Toyota MR2 for 325 bucks near Trenton, we still have that one and it still runs with 325K miles on it and a five speed. He also found a Fiero that needed work for 800. Keep looking and the cars will come out of the woodwork. And yes there are plenty of third gens for sale in NJ I've seen them on the side of the road ranging from 500 to top dollar. The Idiot brother actually bought the Fiero and is putting a 3800SC in it, Dad said even then nothing he drove matched the TA. LOL I might get the last laugh LOL.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 AM

your brother bought the fiero? lookin to sell? lol, one of my other dream cars, prefer 88 gt's the body styling is nice, older models with the same styling are good too, but if you can't work on them for a while the 88 is your best bet, what with them catching fire and all. idk, I would look on the side of the road but funny thing about that, you need a car... either way thanks for the info, I might know of another camaro, but idk if it's cheap or not.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

No, he fricking loves the thing no offense. Its an 86 GT built late in the model year with the "fastback" styling. When he got it the car had a 2.8 V6 and a 4 speed. Now hes putting in an engine out of a 97 Grand Prix. The MR2 I don't think is going anywhere either. He and I might turn it into a Speedster or something. My TA has been in the family for almost 20 years so I am not letting it go probably ever. Dad drove all three sportscars and said the TA was still the best even though it has not been on the road in almost 7 years. Good lucking looking for something. The local papers and Craigslist might help. What part of NJ are you in anyway?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 AM

Newton, sussex county. and I figured you'd keep the cars, fieros are keepers flat out. but yeah it's hard to find stuff, papers and the internet are all you got round here.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Newton, sussex county. and I figured you'd keep the cars, fieros are keepers flat out. but yeah it's hard to find stuff, papers and the internet are all you got round here.
Hmm you may have seen all three of the cars at one point or another. The TA was last on the road in 2002 Gray and Silver 1984. The MR2 is Silver with a "custom" spray paint black out on the green house and the hood had a black stripe on it. The Fiero is Black and and silver. I am in Andover. Just to give you a baseline on what I have seen...(you may have seen these cars already) There was a Red Firebird formula on Newton Sparta Road for about 5K or so, there is a Yellow Iroc that was modded I think is still for sale is seen at the Bella Italia on 206, there was a blue one nearby for sale, and there used to be a 84 Firebird for sale on the road heading out of town from the Andover Town hall after Newton Sparta Road, finally there was a Black Iroc for sale between the Andover Town hall and the Andover Police station. Most of the cars might need some kind of work or another. There was an Orange and silver 84 TA on 206 that was sold I think that one sold for 4 something repainted. As far as other cars go there was a White MR2 that was for sale for 350 bucks on 206 that needed a engine rebuild or at least a head gasket. We almost bought it. They are around so keep your eyes open. Steal your family's car and drive around for a day all over the county and you will be surprised how many cars are out there not advertised in the paper or online.

Last edited by L695speed; 02-15-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:24 PM

yeah, funny thing about the family's car, I had the only car lol. and the only licence. maybe I can borrow my cousins car or something, idk I'll figure something out. I've got a 2000 budget though. I was going to check out the yellow one by bella italia. idk, it's asking a bit much but do you know any of the prices of the others? I don't get around much, so I don't know where all these places are.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, funny thing about the family's car, I had the only car lol. and the only licence. maybe I can borrow my cousins car or something, idk I'll figure something out. I've got a 2000 budget though. I was going to check out the yellow one by bella italia. idk, it's asking a bit much but do you know any of the prices of the others? I don't get around much, so I don't know where all these places are.
Ok I know where you are coming from. I have a few friends like that. I am out of state at college now so I can't tell you if some of them are still around or what the prices are. However, I can keep an eye out on ebay and etc for now. I will be home for spring break and can check out some of the areas where some of those cars were last seen and find out some more information. I know the Orange (not original) TA was sold. I think the firebird heading out of town was sold as well. If I see or hear anything I will keep in mind you are looking for something. A side note...keep an eye on the classifieds here on TGO sometimes there are cars from the Tri state area in your price range.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 PM

thanks man, I'll keep an eye open myself, might be a couple cars in dover worth picking up, ones an iroc-z with no exaust otherwise all stock, and the other is a z-26 thtat was a project car, so it's been laoded with all kinds of stuff. hoping to get both, but I have one set of plates and the cops round here are something else. do you know if an iroc-z with no exuast would be loud as hell, or if I should be able to get it home no problem.

edit: there's a guy on here selling a third gen, bu tI can't post in the thread.

edit again: a third gen in the area

last time I swear:https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cama...1987-iroc.html that's the car, it's in allentown, but I'm going with my girlfriends mother to pick her up from college, and we'll be inthe town, guy hasn't pmed me back, but the car's not listed as sold, idk, wont let me actually post in the thread.

Last edited by Desarial; 02-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

I would be careful with no exhaust because it will be LOUD. I will have to do that to get my car to the muffler shop to get my exhaust system on. Way I figure it is if I do get pulled over then I will tell the cop I have an appointment with the muffler shop and am going there now and the guy can follow me to be sure I am going there. That is a five mile trip to Muffler Dan's.

If you explain to the cop that you just picked up the car and you are taking it home then he might let you go....otherwise it will just be a ticket for malafunctioning equipment or something. As for plates.....I would be careful there too. It helps if you don't do anything stupid.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM

well, he exhaust "need work" from the cat, back. so idk, prolly rusted through, it was the guys parts car so it probably sat for a while, as long as it turns on and it'll go without much trouble, all i want it for is parts myself, I'll probably explain to whoever pulls me over what the deal is, were i that I get pulled over. I'll probably make two trips, since it's hard to drive a car in jersey with only one plate and not get pulled over, combine thtat with a whacky exaust and a sports car, I'm asking for trouble. yeah I'm probably going to buy these two cars. Like I said, I figure one to drive, one for parts, it can't hurt. and pardon my ignorance, it's a z-28, I'm new to the car scene so I don't have everything memorized. and thanks, if you didn't suggest looking elsewhere, I might not have foud them.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

No offense...but that is one ugly 3rd gen. I've never been a fan of the "slotted" front bumper that was on the early Berlinettas, and I think that may very well be the ugliest steering wheel ever put into a production vehicle of any kind. Other than that, I don't think I've ever seen a 4.3 V6 with a carburetor and v-belt setup, much less in a Camaro. Definitely pass on this one. Like everyone else is saying, it's a jumble of mis-matched parts.

Last edited by navy02ws6; 02-16-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

I figured you ment Z28. Post some pics when you get a chance. Good luck with the drive back up. I am probably going to get my car running this spring/summer maybe will run into each other at the Chatterbox by the fairgrounds or at the Newton McDonalds Cruise nights.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 AM

that would be great, but the cars needs some work, and I'm just a novice. BUT. i'll still go fo rth ehel of it, to see what others have got and maybe meet up with you some time.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 357 Likes on 271 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

It's an 83 Berlinetta,

It got a CC V-belt 2.8 carb engine from the factory. Many guys used to pull the vac. advanced distributor and carbs from the S10 Blazers and install them in the early V6 CC Camaro/Firebirds "back in the day".

Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 G80

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1038829080.html
heres a good one near you. craigslist works wonders. now if i could only find a camaro near me that i can obtain.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks I found a pair in dover, seem good, my father is a twice certified mechanic and I had him check it all out he said it's a good deal, of course he'll be coming along to pick them up as well cause cars tell alot more of their story in person. even if they're both just "ok" I'm not looking for a project car exactly since I do need a daily driver. which is why having a pair works better cause the one is the guys project car, the only problem with it is a timing issue. and the other is a "parts" car but it's all in good shape and it's only missing the cat and cat-back. I'm getting the parts car for 800 and the project car for 1100, the parts car will be my daily driver and the project car will be my, well, project car. I'm overal pleased with it all. I'm just waiting on a settlement check from a car I just had totalled out, cause some young catholic girl thought it was a good idea to shove here 2003 gmc yukon up the **** of my little 1991 nissan maxima. her insurance company said it would cost to much to fix the damages, so I took the opertunity to total it out since the trans was shot anyway.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

that would be great, but the cars needs some work, and I'm just a novice. BUT. i'll still go fo rth ehel of it, to see what others have got and maybe meet up with you some time.
Don't worry about the cars not looking great. Go anyway. Mine is not in the best shape either. LOL. I am hoping to get mine running when I get home for spring break. If it doesn't I am sending it to the mechanic and ask what the hell is wrong with this car. Good luck with the project car and so on. I am sure you will see the 84 TA on the streets of Newton sometime. Its a fairly distinctive car to see in the area. I have only seen one other in gray in person and the other was orange. I am up for meeting up or getting some of the TGO guys in the area together when I get the TA on the road. Post up pics when you get em, I would love to see them maybe even help you out a bit. Theres a junkyard on the outskirts of town that has a few third gens every once in a while. I scored four seats from them for 50 bucks in perfect shape to recover for my car.