History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Are Third Generations worth that much??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: 7R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Are third generations worth that much??

Originally Posted by LFN AT U
If you don't think 82-92 Camaros and Firebirds will bring in good money in the future based on when they were built I think you need a history lesson.
I don't think that every example of a third gen out there is going to bring a college fund for your kid someday, basically when is the last time you heard the words 67 camaro or 69 camaro and ****** in the same sentence?

My opinion with the 80's cars, is they will increase in value as stated in my paragraph after the one you quoted, but nobody is going to forget the bad reputation they had, and have to this day. People look at 1'st gens as "survivors" some of the toughest times in American history, they have lasted through oil crisis, and war, presidents, and different owners.

Most of the third gens I have come across, can't even make it past the first owner, let alone 2. This is what strengthens my belief that they will increase in value with age, but not all of them are going to be worth 40K in 40 years. I can only see the 1 owner no accident numbers matching sub 1K miles garage kept cars hitting those kind of prices on the Barret Jackson auction block.

Fast forward: 2030

"Next up we have a 1989 Chevrolet Caaaamarooooo.. this fine example is a 1 owner red on black numbers matching L98 corvette motor with a 4 speed automatic. I believe this one actually has the option G92 sporting the 3.27 Borg Warner rear axle, this one is going to sell folks! Only 714 original miles!"

"Do I hear $10,000, we got 10 10 10 10 do I hear 12 12 somebody gimme a twel twel twel twel twelve we got a twelve do I hear..."

Anouncer sidekick butts in: "Bob, I remember when these cars first came out I was in my early 30's and if you can imagine this, I was wearing flourescent orange and lime green pants to school, and actually rocking a Bob Ross hair dew."

"Keith, thats funny because these days you don't have any hair.. do I hear fifteen fifteen fita fita fita fita fifteen."Auction continues.I mean only the future knows what the future holds, I just think the bad reputation is going to be a joke for the rest of time, and personally that bothers me because I'm young enough to have wanted one of these as a kid, but old enough that I was wearing pastel colored hand me downs to kindergarden -

That is kinda funny. But anyway, my prediction on lower prices is for bad examples I don't think a boneyard cars rear 1/4 panel is going to fetch a premium years from today. The production numbers are simply too high for the prices to reach "first gen status." That and well, the first gen is when a legend was born.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Red90IROC
That is so cool! Your car looks excellent at the beach

Do you know if your car was ordered special? I wonder sometimes if ours was a 'dealer-order' combo, or if there was something unusual about the options being together. Not so much the colors; but the options.
Mine was dealer ordered. An early model, it was delivered in February of 84.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

For you to say that a first gen survived a war, oil crisis and multiple owners is ludicrous. What do you think a 3rd gen on the road today can say. I didn't rust out in less than 5 years, traded hands many times, survived the Gulf War twice and saw gas prices exceed $4/gallon. Production numbers mean nothing because the 1st gens sold quite a few also. During the 80s, the 60s and 70s Camaros were the trailer park icon. The big difference in the 2 generations is the fact that GM built better cars in the 80s and they lasted longer than the original 60s cars. That's why there are still so many on the road. The reason they are given the trailer park icon is because Chevrolet is the inexpensive GM model and the Camaro is the "Bang for the Buck" performance car. They are affordable.

You also need to look at what was posted about the 80s being the decade of excess. The M word hair style was "business up front, party out back" that everyone was doing! During our hard economic times, I do enjoy driving my IROC-Z and remembering the days when times were simpler, music was great and my high school afternoons were taken up driving with the ttops off and being the envy of everyone in school. These were the hottest cars on the road. Their styling is still great today and will remain great for years to come. I'm almost 40 and love all the "performance/sport" cars of the 80s. If I could, I'd buy an 87 Grand National, 87 Olds 442, 88 Monte Carlo SS, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2, 87 Formula, 88 Fiero, and many more!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing for these cars.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 Z03
Engine: LSX
Transmission: M12

Excellent post scott! Well said!

I agree with everything except the being 40 and Mudstain part
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

I like to say CRUSH EM! CRUSH EM! CRUSH EM! CRUSH EM!... That way when you look back and see those smart people that did not CRUSH EM! their cars are worth something because they survived...

1st gens USED to be worthless, then it was 2nd Gens, 3rd Gens are now on the rise and 4th Gens are getting cheaper by the day... It all goes around, eventually 4th Gens will be on the bottom looking up. Remember that a 4th Gen was more expensive new than a 3rd Gen. AND they did not make as many, they by far were not as popular with the masses.

Random thought of the day: I remember thinking to myself... Why is the Mustang worth so much more than my Formula... it does not appear to me that it is still the case. For a long time it appeared that the Stang had more value, especially ones from the 80's then all of a sudden you can buy one for really cheap. But get yourself a nice performance minded original 3rd Gen... You can still get nice ones for under $5000, but they are becoming more and more uncommon. Anything with a LB9, L98 that is nice looking good condition car is really becoming sought after. The TPI may have not been the first port FI car that GM made, nor it may not be the most powerful but some people think of it as being the father of all Port FI cars... Perception has more strength than reality. Actually there are several things you can do to a TPI motor to make it preform really well...

Something I have learned that really needs to be said. We have all read and talked about "Self Fulfilling prophecy" Basically by talking and thinking in a particular way in the end creates who you are. The same thing is true about our cars. We have some doubters that will always say that they are worthless, and should all be destroyed! But there are many others that believe that they will increase in value. I have said it before, if we all banded together and decided right here and right now that we were going to double the values of our cars, we could do it. Unfortunately there are too many people out there that at the first low-ball offer they take it... If we all talk like its worth it, then it will, but if we all become pessimistic and decide that we are going to be a sellout then we will become just that.

I just looked at Autotrader and one thing that I noticed, everything that had a recently rebuilt motor, or things like that was really pretty cheap, I did a search limiting to 350 or L98 or 5.7... Actually there were 3 cars that were under $3000, one was a SC with a 350, one "would make a nice winter project & need a fuel pump", and the third was a 350 - 5 Speed... But there were 6 cars that were asking $10K+

The shift for nice cars is really on the upswing, and if you take care of and clean up your ride it will only help everyone. Stop trying to sell cars with McD's bags in the back seat, it only hurts YOU when you try to sell it. Those cars really are the ones that bring the whole thing down.

In short... 1) Don't sell yourself short Think positive. 2) Buy low SELL HIGH! 3) keep it clean. If you are selling a car with GARBAGE in the back seat, then yeah, it will not sell for much, keep your car clean show some pride!

John
Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Originally Posted by CaysE
I'd say the only thirdgens truly worth a good chunk of change are the TTAs, and will probably be the ones to go for big money in 30-40 years.
and the GTAs with the digital dash and 350
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: 700R4

I just looked mine up on NADA, sorry but I don't know how you guys are saving the picture and attaching it.

Anyways my 1992 Z28 with its mileage had a clean retail of $6,037.
I went in the classics and it came back with a 1992 Z28 Heritage. It didn't even ask me for the miles and it came back with a high retail of $15,300.

All the Heritage option includes is stripes and a badge correct? So if you take a Heritage Z28 and a "regular" Z28, same condition and sit them side by side, the Heritage is going to be worth almost 3 times more because of a badge and a couple of stripes? This is by no means a knock on Heritage Camaros, but that seems a little out of whack to me.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Formula, '92 TA, '91 ZR-1
Engine: 350, 305, LT-5

Originally Posted by okfoz
I like to say CRUSH EM! CRUSH EM! CRUSH EM! CRUSH EM!... That way when you look back and see those smart people that did not CRUSH EM! their cars are worth something because they survived...

1st gens USED to be worthless, then it was 2nd Gens, 3rd Gens are now on the rise and 4th Gens are getting cheaper by the day... It all goes around, eventually 4th Gens will be on the bottom looking up. Remember that a 4th Gen was more expensive new than a 3rd Gen. AND they did not make as many, they by far were not as popular with the masses.

Random thought of the day: I remember thinking to myself... Why is the Mustang worth so much more than my Formula... it does not appear to me that it is still the case. For a long time it appeared that the Stang had more value, especially ones from the 80's then all of a sudden you can buy one for really cheap. But get yourself a nice performance minded original 3rd Gen... You can still get nice ones for under $5000, but they are becoming more and more uncommon. Anything with a LB9, L98 that is nice looking good condition car is really becoming sought after. The TPI may have not been the first port FI car that GM made, nor it may not be the most powerful but some people think of it as being the father of all Port FI cars... Perception has more strength than reality. Actually there are several things you can do to a TPI motor to make it preform really well...

Something I have learned that really needs to be said. We have all read and talked about "Self Fulfilling prophecy" Basically by talking and thinking in a particular way in the end creates who you are. The same thing is true about our cars. We have some doubters that will always say that they are worthless, and should all be destroyed! But there are many others that believe that they will increase in value. I have said it before, if we all banded together and decided right here and right now that we were going to double the values of our cars, we could do it. Unfortunately there are too many people out there that at the first low-ball offer they take it... If we all talk like its worth it, then it will, but if we all become pessimistic and decide that we are going to be a sellout then we will become just that.

I just looked at Autotrader and one thing that I noticed, everything that had a recently rebuilt motor, or things like that was really pretty cheap, I did a search limiting to 350 or L98 or 5.7... Actually there were 3 cars that were under $3000, one was a SC with a 350, one "would make a nice winter project & need a fuel pump", and the third was a 350 - 5 Speed... But there were 6 cars that were asking $10K+

The shift for nice cars is really on the upswing, and if you take care of and clean up your ride it will only help everyone. Stop trying to sell cars with McD's bags in the back seat, it only hurts YOU when you try to sell it. Those cars really are the ones that bring the whole thing down.

In short... 1) Don't sell yourself short Think positive. 2) Buy low SELL HIGH! 3) keep it clean. If you are selling a car with GARBAGE in the back seat, then yeah, it will not sell for much, keep your car clean show some pride!

John
Very well said, especially the part about the values of our cars. The Buick Grand National clubs did just that a few years ago. They just decided that they were going to stop poor mouthing their cars and giving them away and look at how the values started going up.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

Originally Posted by Stratocaster25
I just looked mine up on NADA, sorry but I don't know how you guys are saving the picture and attaching it.

Anyways my 1992 Z28 with its mileage had a clean retail of $6,037.
I went in the classics and it came back with a 1992 Z28 Heritage. It didn't even ask me for the miles and it came back with a high retail of $15,300.

All the Heritage option includes is stripes and a badge correct? So if you take a Heritage Z28 and a "regular" Z28, same condition and sit them side by side, the Heritage is going to be worth almost 3 times more because of a badge and a couple of stripes? This is by no means a knock on Heritage Camaros, but that seems a little out of whack to me.
The Heritage Camaros were originally going to compete with the Firehawk, but due to economic slow downs the Firehawk only sold 25 units, Chevrolet looked at that and decided it would not be a viable investment. Only two cars were made, and they were both GM project cars not factory cars that were to be the Heritage Spec. In the end only the decals remained.

For some reason NADA is way off on the Heritage value, it has been that way for years, I can only suspect it has something to do with my previous paragraph, Obviously NADA does not actually follow dealer sales trends like they say they do as Heritage cars do go for slightly more than a normal (non Heritage) model, but not as they describe.

John
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Coupe
Engine: 5.0-liter (305) TBI V8
Transmission: 700R4-speed automatic overdrive
Axle/Gears: stock/2.73

An appraiser once told me that something (no matter what the item is) is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I believe that's true.

Book value for my car sucks! But it's worth far more than that, which is why I have it insured for more. It would cost a boatload to "replace" Cam if something happened to her. <knocking on wood now>

Third gens are awesome cars. I love their individuality, how rare really nice ones are and how passionate people can be about them. I love that you can own one for not a fortune and make it your very own.

When I first moved to Seattle, people would ask me, "What kind of car is that?" Still do. In fact, a state trooper asked me that just last week. (And no, I didn't get a ticket.) That's how rare they are.

In the South, where I moved here from, everyone has a Camaro, even though a lot of them are in front and back yards, up on blocks, lol. But even there, I never saw many sweet third gens.

My Cam is priceless. Isn't your third gen?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM

The Heritage Camaros were originally going to compete with the Firehawk, but due to economic slow downs the Firehawk only sold 25 units, Chevrolet looked at that and decided it would not be a viable investment. Only two cars were made, and they were both GM project cars not factory cars that were to be the Heritage Spec. In the end only the decals remained.

For some reason NADA is way off on the Heritage value, it has been that way for years, I can only suspect it has something to do with my previous paragraph, Obviously NADA does not actually follow dealer sales trends like they say they do as Heritage cars do go for slightly more than a normal (non Heritage) model, but not as they describe.

John
That's what I was figuring. I knew that they were considered a "collector" car thus they were worth a little more, but I didn't think they were worth nearly 3 times the amount! If that was the case that $175 option would have been one hell of an investment!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Stratocaster25
Control/Print Screen, will save a Screen shot.....Then open MS Paint, Edit/Paste in the new project & the Screen Shot will appear, like doing a Copy & Paste of text.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
Control/Print Screen, will save a Screen shot.....Then open MS Paint, Edit/Paste in the new project & the Screen Shot will appear, like doing a Copy & Paste of text.

cool, thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

wow my car went down $5k in value thank you Chairman Obushma and this recession

Last edited by KITT1983; 06-18-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:51 AM

1) I just use "PrtScn" Print screen, I never had to use the Control button too both work, I just tried it Win XP.

2) The way I figure it is every one of our cars, no matter if it is a parts car or a real road ripper is worth at LEAST $4500. Apparently it was passed a few days ago in the Congress that the "Cash for Clunkers" is where you can take any old car, it does not matter and you will get $4500 for the car... I have several junk parts cars in the back I wonder if it s cumulative... I have $250 in one, $600 in another, $2000 in another, and $500 in a fourth... I could have $18,000 down payment if they let me combine them...

So yes the values of our cars just skyrocketed...

John
Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

1) I just use "PrtScn" Print screen, I never had to use the Control button too both work, I just tried it Win XP.

2) The way I figure it is every one of our cars, no matter if it is a parts car or a real road ripper is worth at LEAST $4500. Apparently it was passed a few days ago in the Congress that the "Cash for Clunkers" is where you can take any old car, it does not matter and you will get $4500 for the car... I have several junk parts cars in the back I wonder if it s cumulative... I have $250 in one, $600 in another, $2000 in another, and $500 in a fourth... I could have $18,000 down payment if they let me combine them...

John
traitor
Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

John
I just tried it without the Control key....It worked. Go figure....I've been doing an unnecessary step.

Any infor on the Cash for Clunkers deal? Nationwide or just Nazifornia?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I gladly paid $2600 for my 1990. Second owner 89k miles and only a couple minor flaws in the paint/interior (perfect dash/carpet etc, small rip in driver's seat and the common chips in the paint). It KBB'd at $2400 when I bought it and have been offered $4500-5k and refused.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

1983 Daytona 500s were worth
$25,000 High $15,000-$20,000 Average $9,000 Low at December 2008

$20,000 High $10,000-$15,000 Average $8,000 Low June 2009
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

Did anybody see mecum tonight?

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...D=FL0110-88480

this car went for $38000
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Being a TTA and that kind of mileage, I'm not surprised.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

1983 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Daytona 500

Low Retail: $7,595

Average Retail: $12,670

High Retail: $19,460
Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Our beloved 3rd gens definately are coming into their own. They are just getting to the point where some serious collectors with money are starting to take notice. When I started getting back into these cars (early 2005) you couldn't give them away, even the rare ones. It was early 2005 when I first started looking for a Firehawk. At the time there were a couple for sale and many set on the market for quite some time. In early 2006 you could pick up a Firehawk for low-mid 20's and many people thought that was way over priced. As of today, even in a crappy economy, I can tell you that the upper tier cars have jumped significantly above the rest of the market and six figures is well within range for some of the very special cars. It's interesting how even the more regular cars, with lower mileage and in good shape are getting hard to come by.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

All these talks of modification really make me twinge. I am struggling with the idea of putting the IROC decals on my door (DX3 stripe delete car). I wish I could have 2 cars. one that I have now, and an 88 T-top IROC to modify. I know that sounds greedy.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Krik
I wish I could have 2 cars. one that I have now, and an 88 T-top IROC to modify. I know that sounds greedy.
Not at all... I think you're in good company if you want to own multiple cars so you can preserve and still enjoy the hobby at the same time.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

wokring on my dad's 58, (all original and NOS parts) I thought it would be fun to get a 58 I could mod, until I found that even crappy, rusty hulls go for $10K, and nice fixer-uppers go for $20

I can't do that
Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Interestingly, that is what I ended up doing... I started with My Formula, its nothing special honestly, originally it was an LG4, Automatic, T-tops, Yellow, with a Black interior, had the level 3 options, so it has almost everything that you could get on a Formula... I took the car, and originally enjoyed the 4bbl... then I got tired of it, and decided to go with TPI, converted it over with all 1987 parts, at the same time I put 12" Baer Brakes, headers, and a cat-back system on it, and I upgraded the shocks to KYB adjustable shocks, I also put a leather GTA seating surfaces in it... I figured out quickly that the car would never be worth anything, so I went nuts on it...

The car that will have the most value will be the '89 Formula 350 convertible... Although officially an ASC conversion, I know that serious collectors are seeking out the 350 powered Convertibles as well. Specifically what I see is the ASC convertibles are probably the most sought for 1987-1989... I am going to keep the car original as possible, it needs a little help, but its pretty nice on its own... with only 36K miles, I was offered $12,000 and turned it down...

John
Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Not at all... I think you're in good company if you want to own multiple cars so you can preserve and still enjoy the hobby at the same time.
thank you Drew
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.31 non posi = no traction

There is a guy here in GA that is asking 16,500 for a low mileage IROC-Z. It is on craigslist.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by Krik
All these talks of modification really make me twinge. I am struggling with the idea of putting the IROC decals on my door (DX3 stripe delete car).
Removing a decal is easy and shouldn't be a concern for any collector. Condition of the car (rust, corrosion, interior, etc) and being all numbers matching are far greater concerns. If you want to announce that you have an IROCZ, go for it. Having fun with your ride is the most important thing.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

I've seen more then a few cars that had decals at one point that have ghost images faded/burned into the paint after the decals are removed. It's not going to happen overnight, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM

I have seen that too... I always thought it looked kinda cool, with the faded paint, and then you still see the original color underneath ghosted in...

Its usually more obvious with the darker colors, but I have seen it with Yellow. If your car has been repainted, chances are there are some UV blockers and the pigment color holdout for fastness are superior to the OE paint in so many ways. Unless you get a el-cheep-o paint... I know When I did my car in 1997, the Sherwin Williams paint held up so much better than the original paint for fading...

John
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM

I have seen that too... I always thought it looked kinda cool, with the faded paint, and then you still see the original color underneath ghosted in...

Its usually more obvious with the darker colors, but I have seen it with Yellow. If your car has been repainted, chances are there are some UV blockers and the pigment color holdout for fastness are superior to the OE paint in so many ways. Unless you get a el-cheep-o paint... I know When I did my car in 1997, the Sherwin Williams paint held up so much better than the original paint for fading...

John
The car was painted back in 04. It was not a cheap job, but the recipt doesn't show what paint was used. I had not even considered un-even fadeing. Uggh, whats a guy to do.

I know the 2 lower stripes that go around the bottom of the car don't really interest me. Its the 2 IROC decals on the door that I would like to add. Phoenix graphics has some really quality stuff from what I have read so I know thats who i will be buying from if/when. 69 bucks seems like a really fair deal.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Phoenix Graphics decals are exact replicas of the originals. My Formula was missing the door badges, and the nose emblem, but the rest were still there. The decals in the kit match exactly.

If you really want them, add them. If you want to be true to the unique nature of your car, then leave them off. Just don't put them on for 10 years and then change your mind cause you'll probably have ghost images. lol
Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Especially if it spends a lot of time outside. If it's stored indoors and only taken out occasionally you might get away with it for a little while. If it's a daily driver the ghosting will appear a lot sooner.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 PM

i just got a 1982 camaro z28 with 42000 miles not rust not even underneith. has lu5 motor and all origanal never been touched traded it for a 1971 rally nova. this camaro says special edition on it for some reason has all disc brakes t top. power seat power hatch back and viynl interior. what you think. did i get a good deal.low book on my rally was 9000
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 473 Likes on 291 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

Originally Posted by totall2tall
i just got a 1982 camaro z28 with 42000 miles not rust not even underneith. has lu5 motor and all origanal never been touched traded it for a 1971 rally nova. this camaro says special edition on it for some reason has all disc brakes t top. power seat power hatch back and viynl interior. what you think. did i get a good deal.low book on my rally was 9000
How can we give you whether you got a good deal on what condition the nova was???
Old 09-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: '82 Recaro T/A, '71 Trans Am
Engine: 305CFI/455HO
Transmission: TH700R4/M22
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42

If the Nova was truly worth $9,000 then you lost some value. An '82 Z28, even with only 42,000 original miles would be a hard sell at $9,000. The car is probably worth around $5,000.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:04 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

I disagree. If the car is clean, the mileage is low, then $9k isn't bad at all. I've seen some early third gens come in at more than this. If you guys are only using eBay to get your values, then your missing quite a bit.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM

well the nova had been restored and need some interior to be done this z28 dont even have rust under the car no wear in interior at all and paints not bad either no dents vynle, interior 4 disc brakes all origanal and im the 4th owner. never been i a wreck
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 473 Likes on 291 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I disagree. If the car is clean, the mileage is low, then $9k isn't bad at all. I've seen some early third gens come in at more than this. If you guys are only using eBay to get your values, then your missing quite a bit.
Unless you see the cars in person, how can you tell, it "isn't bad at all?"

U guys make me laugh! Really!

Just because you guys have been around these cars since before there were built does not make you "So called 3rd gen experts".

I have been around these cars since day one but I am not a total expert but since you have the "moderator" on your name makes you an expert.

I have traced these cars since I was 16 when it was 1985.

I am no expert but I love learning and sometimes some of the "moderators" comments give them that "pass" that they are correct or know more.

Trust me, there are many comments that follow some of the so coalled moderators posts and they back down.

Sorry to **** off some people but some of the kings' crowns need to come off of some of these moderators IMO!!

Overall, on the nova, without seeing pics, how can we tell it is a great deal???

Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

I think he qualified his response just fine... we all knew what he meant by "clean"

who peed in your cereal today?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

If, by stating my opinion that a clean car with low miles is worth more than $9k, makes me an "expert", then so be it. I never qualified myself as an expert, but since you did, I thank you for the compliment. Since the original poster asked what we thought about the deal, I told him what I thought. I don't remember ever hearing that an opinion makes one an expert!

Your comments regarding the Nova are pointless! This is a 3rd gen board. If he thinks the Nova was worth $15k and traded it for a clean, low mile 82 Z28 straight up, then I would just assume that the Nova was a nice car and also the Z28 would have to be mint with very low miles. My comment was not a black and white comment. It covered the Camaro, not the Nova. Yes, I believe he got a good deal if he felt the Nova was worth $9k and the Z28 was clean with low miles. The buyer needs to be the judge if the car is "clean". He's the one comparing the two cars, not me and not you.

I think someone needs to take a nap and learn to relax!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62

Personally, yes, I do believe third gens are worth "that much," and I am tired of seeing people part out what are otherwise decent cars. I've owned 5 third gens, and all have been great cars.

Of the 3 I own now, all of them came from different backgrounds. I purchased the RS 4 years ago for $1,000 as a rough, 107k mile wholesale piece. In restrospect, I should've let it go to the wholesaler that wanted it, because it took $13,000 or so to make it the car I wanted...a clean, like-new RS that felt like new. I modded it, had fun with it, and will never part with it because I'll lose my shirt UNLESS third gens go up substantially...which I doubt an LO3 RS ever will. I wanted to "save" a third gen from a kid getting it for his first car and trashing it. In the condition it was in when I got it, I'm confident that 4 years later, it would currentyl have been crushed already. It wans't bad, but it needed EVERYTHING....

My Trans Am I bought for $3,000 with 30k miles on it, needing a paint job and not much else. This was a far better way to go...TPI, Trans Am, solid body and minimal wear on mechanicals. This car I also feel I potentially saved from a kid, because it looks like poop. But when I get in it, that doesn't seem to matter...it performs like new, and puts a smile on my face every time. It deserves fresh paint, and a continued lease on life in my garage for years to come.

My IROC occupies the other end of the spectrum. I paid $12,500 in flawless original condition, right down to the tires, with 21k miles on it. I saw an identical IROC pull $19,000 on eBay last fall with 10k...so I feel like I stole it. Yes, that is a lot of money for a 22 year old IROC...but all I've done is re-charge the air and put new tires on it. I've put 600 grin-filled miles on it this year, and with the 350, t-tops, and grey paint I've always wanted, I can't put a price on how much I love this car.

And that's what matters...love for the damn cars. I don't care whether I paid $1,000 or $12,500 for mine...I love them all for very different reasons. These cars are my generation's first gens. They WILL be popular. They WILL be valuable.

It just takes time...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:52 PM

sorry to start a fight was just wondering it dont really matter i like the z28 better thats why i traded if i could figure out how to post a pic without doing a url. i would ill figure it out and show you a pic asap
Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM

heres a pic ai thing ill get one of the z28
Attached Thumbnails Are Third Generations worth that much??-imag0123.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 PM

here is the zx28 no dents rust tears nothin all stock but the flow master exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails Are Third Generations worth that much??-imag0216.jpg   Are Third Generations worth that much??-imag0217.jpg   Are Third Generations worth that much??-imag0218.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM

any one now why it has special edition on it i took a poc of that strip to
Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by totall2tall
any one now why it has special edition on it i took a poc of that strip to
It's not a factory package that I've ever heard of... If I had to make an educated guess, someone wanted to make it stand out so they painted some accents and "Special Edition" on the side.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" for the ladies

I have to laugh everytime I see these threads about what these cars will be worth and especially what they will be 'worth shortly'.
This thread started in 2008 and shortly never got here.
If these cars were worth so much I'd have had at least one reply about my 91TA WS6 ASC vert that I was asking a whopping $3700. Or how about my 92 vert same price. And what about the last owner. They couldn't even sell them either for that.
As for 89 verts being the most bestest(mentioned earlier in this thread as being worth a ton going forward.) I'd bet money the 89vert tony posted on here didn't really cost much.
And what about the TTA's. 10 years ago they brought 15-25K.
Now you can find driver condition ones for 8K and rough ones for 6K.
(i've seen them, heck i've had one friend trade his 89 for a built lsx powertrain)
So when is this 'future' going to get here. I can go back 5 years and find posts where people say the same thing, 'these cars will be worth money in the near future.'

Beyond inflation I beg to differ. Sure we can all find the nut job that paid $$$$ at barret jackson but that's not the norm, that's just someone with more money then sense showing off.

I think the only people that say these cars will be worth money is the current owners. They just keep wishing and willing and hopeing for it to happen.
To everyone else regular production 3rdgen's are a still a dime a dozen.
So someone please give me an exact date on which these cars will be worth money because 10 years of threads stating in the future hasn't come true.

On that note I am going to go buy some GTA wheels off an 89 trans am 350/t-top car tonight, only because the $1300 asking price is more then I feel like paying for the whole car.

Quick Reply: Are Third Generations worth that much??