History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

dmv.org vin number search.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: stock, dynomax turbo exhaust
dmv.org vin number search.

Hey guys I recently purchased a 1989 camaro from a friend of a mutual friend, anyways he didn't want the car anymore, he wanted to buy a new 2002 SS, so he sold it to me for $1,000 the car looks really good, the guy had no idea what model it was, he said it was a camaro, thats all he knew, not really a car guy, so I went to dmv.org and put in the vin number and it comes up as a Model: Camaro IROC Z28 / RS clean clean record. Ok one question, how can the model be all 3? Is it an IROC, a Z28, or an RS? and how can I find out? I've heard of IROC Z but not IROC Z /RS, what number or letter on the vin number would I have to look at to see what model it is, thanks?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:11 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Re: dmv.org vin number search.

Here is a vin decoder (scroll down about halfway). It'll tell you some stuff, like engine option, but not specifically what model. However, engine option codes LB9 and B2L/L98 are for the IROC-Z only. While L03 and LB8 are for the RS. As far as I know, there was only RS and IROC-Z available in 1989. Hope that helps and congrats on the purchase.

Engine code is the 8th digit in the VIN #.
IROC-Z
8 = B2L/L98 (350ci TPI V8)
F = LB9 (305ci TPI V8)

RS
E = L03 (305ci TBI V8)
S = LB8 (V6)

Here's where I got that info.

Last edited by BlueIroc-Z; 07-26-2008 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Found more info...
Old 07-26-2008, 03:49 AM

Thanks man, so yeah by the eight letter I have an RS, cool now I know thanks a lot.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Actually you don't really know. Not just yet. The LO3 5.0L (E as the eigth digit in the VIN) was the IrocZ's standard engine for the '89. The LB9 5.0L TPI (F) and the L98 5.7L TPI (8) were optional engines. So if you have an E you could still have either an RS or IrocZ. The only way to tell by the VIN if the car is an IrocZ is if it has one of the optional TPI engines, F or 8. I'm assuming your eigth digit is an E?

It is correct that there was no specific Z28 model from '88 - '90. So based on what we know so far, it's still inconclusive. You may still have either an RS or an IrocZ.

We need a little more info. To tell 100% for sure what you have, does your ride have the SPID label in the console compartment? It's the label with all the RPO codes on it. If the car has it, and the VIN on the label matches the VIN at the base of the windshield, then you are in luck and we can tell you almost everything you ever wanted to know about what model it is and options.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Iroctopless
Actually you don't really know. Not just yet. The LO3 5.0L (E as the eigth digit in the VIN) was the IrocZ's standard engine for the '89. The LB9 5.0L TPI (F) and the L98 5.7L TPI (8) were optional engines. So if you have an E you could still have either an RS or IrocZ. The only way to tell by the VIN if the car is an IrocZ is if it has one of the optional TPI engines, F or 8. I'm assuming your eigth digit is an E?

It is correct that there was no specific Z28 model from '88 - '90. So based on what we know so far, it's still inconclusive. You may still have either an RS or an IrocZ.

We need a little more info. To tell 100% for sure what you have, does your ride have the SPID label in the console compartment? It's the label with all the RPO codes on it. If the car has it, and the VIN on the label matches the VIN at the base of the windshield, then you are in luck and we can tell you almost everything you ever wanted to know about what model it is and options.
So i checked last night, and I do have the SPID label in my console, and it does match the one on the windshield, there are a bunch of numbers, I didn't write them down but they are there.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

That's great news!!!!
All the 3 character/digit codes can be decoded to tell you what options are on your ride. I'll save you a bit of time to answer your question . . .
If it's an IrocZ then RPO Z28 must be listed. No Z28 listed then it's an RS.
Note; as it applies to Camaros from '88-'90.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 PM

If you're ever interested in the options on your car, go ahead and check out this site.

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca....asp?year=1989

I've used it plenty of times. Has VIN decoder and RPO decoder
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 AM

That's great news!!!!
All the 3 character/digit codes can be decoded to tell you what options are on your ride. I'll save you a bit of time to answer your question . . .
If it's an IrocZ then RPO Z28 must be listed. No Z28 listed then it's an RS.
Note; as it applies to Camaros from '88-'90.
Checked the codes and there is no Z28 or anything of any meaning, just scrambled letters and numbers. I guess SPID is not as accurate as predicted, still trying though. Can I tell by the backlights by any chance? Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

As long as the VIN on the SPID matches the one on the car, I've never known it to be wrong. Does yours look kind'a like this? (here's mine)

Here's another online decoder you could try . . . http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camar...year=1989&tm=1

By backlights do you mean the headlights buckets (which are black on the IrocZ)? No, you can't tell for sure. Anything cosmetic (paint, trim, badges, decals, gfx, interior, wheels & tires, etc) are easily changed. Even complete drivetrains can be swapped. Especially over the last 20 years. They may be things that make a car look like one model or another, but they aren't verifiable proof of what kind of ride it originally was.

Last edited by Iroctopless; 07-31-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-VERT
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Congrats on the new ride! I'm in Inglewood too. Not to many third gens like before rolling around town. I bought mine in FEB 08. Its a work in progress. Good luck bro.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM

As long as the VIN on the SPID matches the one on the car, I've never known it to be wrong. Does yours look kind'a like this? (here's mine)

Here's another online decoder you could try . . . http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camar...year=1989&tm=1

By backlights do you mean the headlights buckets (which are black on the IrocZ)? No, you can't tell for sure. Anything cosmetic (paint, trim, badges, decals, gfx, interior, wheels & tires, etc) are easily changed. Even complete drivetrains can be swapped. Especially over the last 20 years. They may be things that make a car look like one model or another, but they aren't verifiable proof of what kind of ride it originally was.
Yeah thats exactly how mines look, but I do not have that Z28 combination on mines, does that mean that its an RS? or what combination do I look for to tell me?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by rocdriver
Congrats on the new ride! I'm in Inglewood too. Not to many third gens like before rolling around town. I bought mine in FEB 08. Its a work in progress. Good luck bro.
You can spot me around Manchester, Crenshaw, Century, Florence or little steets like Eucalyptus to Van Ness. I have 3 third gens, might get rid of two to get an 02 SS or WS6 but I'm keeping the 89, but I really like these cars so most likely they will stay here, everytime I say I'm selling them I just add something to them and I forget about the selling part. I have a 92 Bird v6, 83 bird 5.0, and I'm trying to find out what this 89 that I bought is, lol.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

Actually you don't really know. Not just yet. The LO3 5.0L (E as the eigth digit in the VIN) was the IrocZ's standard engine for the '89. The LB9 5.0L TPI (F) and the L98 5.7L TPI (8) were optional engines.
Wow... My bad, I had no idea. But, now that I look it was right there in front of my face on the same webpage that I got the other info from. I dissapoint myself. Thanks Iroctopless for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday. And, to the original poster, I'm sorry about the misinformation. At least we have people like Iroctopless to look out for us. Thanks again, sir.

Regarding the tail lights, the first pic (left) is RS tails for '89 and the second is IROC (right).

However, it is once again, like Iroctopless said, tail lights can be changed...

Last edited by BlueIroc-Z; 07-31-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlueIroc-Z
Wow... My bad, I had no idea. But, now that I look it was right there in front of my face on the same webpage that I got the other info from. I dissapoint myself. Thanks Iroctopless for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday. And, to the original poster, I'm sorry about the misinformation. At least we have people like Iroctopless to look out for us. Thanks again, sir.

Regarding the tail lights, the first pic (left) is RS tails for '89 and the second is IROC (right).

However, it is once again, like Iroctopless said, tail lights can be changed...
I have the RS back lights, I have no idea if they were changed or not, but probably not, so for now I'm leaning towards me having an RS because I do have the RS back lights.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

----------
Originally Posted by 92Birdofprey
Hey guys I recently purchased a 1989 camaro from a friend of a mutual friend, anyways he didn't want the car anymore, he wanted to buy a new 2002 SS, so he sold it to me for $1,000 the car looks really good, the guy had no idea what model it was, he said it was a camaro, thats all he knew, not really a car guy, so I went to dmv.org and put in the vin number and it comes up as a Model:[/B] Camaro IROC Z28 / RS clean [B]clean record. Ok one question, how can the model be all 3? Is it an IROC, a Z28, or an RS? and how can I find out? I've heard of IROC Z but not IROC Z /RS, what number or letter on the vin number would I have to look at to see what model it is, thanks?
It's a generic response to your inquiry. Since they don't know through the vin what model you have the computer gives you all possibilities. I'm sure that any Camaro vin # is going to reply with the same info.

Last edited by Kevin84Z28; 08-02-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah thats exactly how mines look, but I do not have that Z28 combination on mines, does that mean that its an RS? or what combination do I look for to tell me?
That's correct. Fortunately, it's pretty easy since you have an '89. There were only two models to choose from. The IrocZ or the RS. No RPO Z28, then it's an RS regardless of any of the other RPO's or combination of them.

Regarding the learning something new comment above. Believe me, I've been a 3rd generation Camaro nut for years and I still learn something new just about everytime I login. And even get proven wrong occasionally!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 AM

That's correct. Fortunately, it's pretty easy since you have an '89. There were only two models to choose from. The IrocZ or the RS. No RPO Z28, then it's an RS regardless of any of the other RPO's or combination of them.

Regarding the learning something new comment above. Believe me, I've been a 3rd generation Camaro nut for years and I still learn something new just about everytime I login. And even get proven wrong occasionally!!!
Thanks a lot Iroctopless and everyone else, now all I need is RS emblems and I'm allright, I have 3 third gens and I can't see myself without them so yeah I'm a third gen nut as well. .
Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

Checked the codes and there is no Z28 or anything of any meaning, just scrambled letters and numbers. I guess SPID is not as accurate as predicted, still trying though. Can I tell by the backlights by any chance? Thanks guys.
For your info the spid with the rpo codes identifies every option on the car and is accurate.