History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Is my car rare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 383ci
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77/3.45 ready to go in
Re: Is my car rare?

I got a pretty good deal on a 305 TPI/ttop all original minus motor and trans.. for $3800.. original paint.. and 96k on the clock, not even a single rattle... ttops do not even leak
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
Re: Is this car rare? how much 89 conv

Originally Posted by GTAfanatic
I have a chance to buy a 89 GTA conv with a 5.7, its black with the black top and tan int. It also has 60k miles
what do you think i should pay?
and should i get it.
I guess it would depend on the condition... I paid $8000 and was offered $12,000 one year later (serious buyer he was willing to buy it on the spot) THe offer is still open AFAIK. There were about 139 made so that puts it on anyones "Rare" List, AFAIAC. COnsider that to my knowledge no 87 or 88 350 Firebird Verts were made so at MOST there would be 150 of these cars like that one out there.

If the car is perfect, show ready, I would say as much $15,000. If its rough, like the Black one in the pics then I would say closer to $6000 or even $4000 as it will take $10,000 to whip it into shape. I have seen 1989 GTA 350 Verts on ebay go for $11,000 & $12,000, Barrett Jackson had an 85 Autoform Vert I believe it sold for $20K and it was not in great condition... Give it 5 to 10 years and these cars are going to be in the $30,000 rage if things keep going... BUT the whole thing might tank and they could be worth exactly what they are worth right now...

John
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Car: 1988 GTA Black notchback
Engine: 1991 L98 355 TWIN Superchagred
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: www.cardomain.com/id/gtafanatic

ok i can get the car for 8,000k. i been reading a lot of stuff about the conv
what im tiring to fig out now is how many 89 GTA conv had the 5.7?

the fig for FB verts in 89 is 330 as of ASC records
the site below says there where 396 (is this GM records?)

How far off is the info on the page http://www.gmassie.net/l98gta/
it states there are only 50-66, or so GTA conv with the 5.7 in 89 is this true?

thanks for info also i guess Frankie has all the VIN# of the conv douse any one else have this?
How do i get a copy of this?

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

ASC reported a total of 330 Convertibles in 1989, 104 in 1988 & 173 in 1987 IIRC. I have the ASC printout of information and IF you get the car contact me and we will discuss it more.

As for GTA verts... There were a total of 139 GTA or T/A (L98) Verts total for ALL years, 1989 was the only year to have it available. According to my end of year printout I only have a total of 324 Verts for 1989 however...

GMassie.net is wrong, I really do not know where the 50 L98 TA/GTA number comes from, I have also seen an "Offical" document from ASC claiming that there were only 10 Formula 350 verts's made too, BUT I know there were at least 42 according to the VIN information I have.

GM probably would not have any "Offical" information as ASC did the conversion for ordering dealerships. How it worked was a Dealer would order a T-top Firebird and have it drop shipped to ASC to be converted. ASC would cut the top off (The Exact same process as the Camaro Cohnvertibles) and then ship the car to the Participating dealer. The car has a VIN of a coupe 1G2FW218 a "Factory" convertible would have a "3".

From what I have seen no one seems to care that they are not official, since you could not officially order a vert directly from Pontiac until 1991 it seems to me that there was no other option. Typically speaking however a 350 Vert goes for more than an "Official" 91-92 Vert as odd as it seems...

What is mostly interesting is ASC considered the cars as part of a GM program... Ultimately I believe that the only reason why Pontiac did not offer the cars directly from 1987-1990 was more due to the extra weight of the cars which would place them into the Gas Guzzler category and they would have to charge an extra $1000 per car...

John
Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

Originally Posted by okfoz
I think this is where your wrong, and here is why...

Nestalgia is based upon your age, when the poeple now buying 2nd gens were teenagers or in their 20's is when they wanted ones, these people are now old enough to get on the nestalgia boat. In the 80's the Japanese invasion was just getting started, but there was nothing from them to really catch the youth markets attention, they had the 300Z & ZX, Acura NSX was really introduced after this era and still out of reach for most people. You are correct insofar as the values are at rock bottom, its the BEST time to buy because of it. You do not buy stocks when they are at their highest, and you do not want to buy a car when it peaks out.

Back to my point. The third Gen was really the LAST generation to really have the market shared with only the Mustang, in the 90's and thru 2002 not only did GM have to contend with Ford, they had Japan coming on strong with their versions of muscle. If you want to knwo the truth possibly the 4th gen will suffer from lack of nestalgia more than any generation because of this. One of the trends tha we are seeing is younger people are no longer looking at American Muscle but have turned to the Tuner cars like the Handas the Toyotas, and cheap inports. The third gen ended prior to this coming on strong.

As for Values, look at NADA and the values between 1985 and 1990, you should find a huge DIP in 1988 as of today, next year it will be at 1989. Our cars ARE increasing in value and book values are projecting it.

IF we all gather around and stop asking nothing for our cars then everyone who wants one will HAVE to pay more for it.

JOhn

i agree, the reason i wanted a 3rd gen is probably i had a toy 3rd gen, infact i still have it LOL, but yea the older ones are going up in value, and restored ones go for an ok amount, there is still a few ratty ones running around, they dont help the value any, but to make it short, in about 18 years or so when 3rds are getting to be almost 40 years old like the 1st gens are now they will be worth more, 3rds are the last of the real cars, no air bags, not a major computer control system, no eletronic speedo's, except for the 90-92 where they went to that, to me almost makes them a 4th gen to make another point they are the last of muscle cars (or the closest thing to them).... new vettes, gtos, chargers, challengers, the new camaro (when it arrives) they aint muscle cars, they are sports cars

hell i paid 2,800 for mine in 2002, and last year was offered 5k on the spot, and i havent done that much, just a few nick nacks to make it have everything it should (now even stock wheels)

Last edited by 89RS_82Z; 01-21-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z
i agree, the reason i wanted a 3rd gen is probably i had a toy 3rd gen, infact i still have it LOL, but yea the older ones are going up in value, and restored ones go for an ok amount, there is still a few ratty ones running around, they dont help the value any, but to make it short, in about 18 years or so when 3rds are getting to be almost 40 years old like the 1st gens are now they will be worth more, 3rds are the last of the real cars, no air bags, not a major computer control system, no eletronic speedo's, except for the 90-92 where they went to that, to me almost makes them a 4th gen to make another point they are the last of muscle cars (or the closest thing to them).... new vettes, gtos, chargers, challengers, the new camaro (when it arrives) they aint muscle cars, they are sports cars

hell i paid 2,800 for mine in 2002, and last year was offered 5k on the spot, and i havent done that much, just a few nick nacks to make it have everything it should (now even stock wheels)
Couple things:

For the Firebird the electronic speedo started in 85.

Second, Thirdgens are not muscle cars, same with any F-body, including the 5th gen Camaro.

I don't understand how an airbag makes a 90-92 basically a 4th gen... does that mean 85-89 are basically 4th gens because they have a MAF sensor?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

just air bags and all are to modern looking when you look inside

and im sorry i dont own a firebird so i wouldnt know if they had eletric driven or cable driven speedos, i know mine i cable driven

i dont have a MAF and i got an 89, i do have a MAP, but so did 82's

and btw i said "they are the last of muscle cars (or the closest thing to them)" as in closer to one than a 4th gen or newer

BTW all camaros are f-bodys, and we all know a 69 Camaro SS is a muscle car

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F_platform
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM

good info here thanks
okfoz , i will deff be talking to you about this car and i would love to see what you have for paperwork. gtafanatic88@hotmail.com i was going to go look at the car again today but the guy could not make it. The car has not been started in 6 years the inter is starting to mold a bit but hopefully this would not effect the wiring and other things. my biggest thing is that i am not to sure what a conv goes for of what it is worth. i have a few notchback and i follow those car a bit more. the guy is firm at the 8k even though it need a tire some paint 3rd brake light.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z
just air bags and all are to modern looking when you look inside

and im sorry i dont own a firebird so i wouldnt know if they had eletric driven or cable driven speedos, i know mine i cable driven

i dont have a MAF and i got an 89, i do have a MAP, but so did 82's

and btw i said "they are the last of muscle cars (or the closest thing to them)" as in closer to one than a 4th gen or newer

BTW all camaros are f-bodys, and we all know a 69 Camaro SS is a muscle car

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F_platform
No, the 69 SS was not a muscle car. I know all Camaros and Firebird are F-bodies, I just worded it oddly. Muscle cars are Mid to Large Sedans with big motors. F-bodies are NOT mid sized to large Sedans. They are a small/compact car, in fact I think they are classified as "sub compacts" due to their limited interior space.

You must have a TBI car, I was comparing TPI cars (MAF 85-89) and LT1 cars. 4th gens didn't have a TBI type engine, so that doesn't compare.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM

not that this is on topic but if you took a muscle car toll i feel most people would classify it as 60 70 80 (early 80) when i here muscle car i think MOPAR then. i feel the f body would be in the sport car field.

I think one of you should start a thread on this dispute i would love to see where it goes

i look up muscle car on line and got this link http://www.cardomain.com/id/DreamDrives
Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 PM

not that this is on topic but if you took a muscle car toll i feel most people would classify it as 60 70 80 (early 80) when i here muscle car i think MOPAR then. i feel the f body would be in the sport car field.

I think one of you should start a thread on this dispute i would love to see where it goes

i look up muscle car on line and got this link http://www.cardomain.com/id/DreamDrives
No need to:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...ght=muscle+car
Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM

good find i feel the same as 86ws6
but lets get back to how much you think the 89 GTA conv is worth.
----------
b

Last edited by GTAfanatic; 01-21-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

pony car muscle car potato patato LOL

but do see the point of https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hi...ght=muscle+car
post, but so many people refer to the 69 Camaro a muscle car, to me any V8, 2 door, rear wheel drive, car intended for performace..... to me a sub compact is a honda civic, as i concider my 4 door accord to be a mid size car and my old caddy to be a full size car but that my but
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Second, Thirdgens are not muscle cars, same with any F-body, including the 5th gen Camaro.
I disagree. All Firebirds and Camaros *can be* muscle cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

From the definition on this page, the only thing that makes the 3rd Gen not a muscle car is the era in which it was built. With time, I bet this changes to include our cars. In the meantime, I would certainly say any car with a V8 modified for performance driving qualifies as a muscle car. The fact that you can get 4 people in one of ours further supports my definition.

Discuss.

EDIT: Never mind. This topic appears to be beaten to death. I relent. F's are Ponies.

Last edited by Cadillac; 01-21-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Changed opinion
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cadillac
I disagree. All Firebirds and Camaros *can be* muscle cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

From the definition on this page, the only thing that makes the 3rd Gen not a muscle car is the era in which it was built. With time, I bet this changes to include our cars. In the meantime, I would certainly say any car with a V8 modified for performance driving qualifies as a muscle car. The fact that you can get 4 people in one of ours further supports my definition.

Discuss.
Did you even read the thread I posted a link to? This thread is not the place to discuss it anyway.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks

Read my edit.

Uncle!!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 PM

i 2nd that AmorgetRS
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

hey whats up gta fanatic thanks for directing me to this page. Well the car I want to get is an 88 gta vert lb9 auto 3.27 posi and as I read this thread I can kinda see what they are going for, now this car here I can get for a grand yeah thats right 1,000 dollars with title. Now it needs some work like paint not bad but need it the vert top frame is cracked in 1 or 2 places I don't know if I can weld it or get another topthe trans seems to be bad no worry I have a couple of them laying around I'm an mecanic so I do all my own work motor seems ok but I will freshen it up, ok it has some rot underneathalmost close to the rear control arm area now that is the only thing I'm worried about, I need to know about how to fixed that or the amount of money that would cost. The good is car is white with beige top gold gta wheels, gta seats woodgrain interior the radio doenst work it has the steering wheel controls for the radio and heat it has 130k on it now my big question is this car worth putting together especially for the price I'm getting it for I figured put a few grand in it drive ot over the summer then sell it or I might keep it. please give me your feedback on this friends I will appreciate it and I will throw up some pics later when I get home.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM

At a grand its a good price but i would like to see some pic. Clean title? is the asc sticker on the door/jam? was it converted by asc,of ccc. You got to fig that the new top will run you about 500 and if you put a cheep paint job on it say 500-1000. it will look fresh for a few years. Now if you are going to sell it in a few years you should be able to get at least 3500 for it. Most gta 87-89 sell for 2500-4500 (miles in the 130k-160k rang) now seen it is a 88 GTA (y84) prod# in the low 100's vert you will be able to get at least 1k more. If you can be into the car for less then 3500 you be golden. Who know you prob wont even want to sell it at that point.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Car: 92 WS6 Trans am convertible
Engine: ls 6.2
Transmission: 4l80
Axle/Gears: 2.73's

don't they have firehawk vert. so hows that not number 1 on the list or a gta vert
Old 02-13-2008, 05:54 PM

are
----------
are you talking about the turbo trans am in 89

Last edited by allgood; 02-13-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM

so you saying there is no 91/92 trans am with a 350 stock
Old 02-13-2008, 06:12 PM

i would think any vert (gta, ta, formluas)
Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM

allgood who are you asking : Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 PM

allgood who are you asking : Quote
who ever can answer
Old 02-13-2008, 06:55 PM

ok lets try to answer some of them kinda vage questions.

"don't they have firehawk vert. so hows that not number 1 on the list or a gta vert"

lower the production numbers more rare it is
Firehawk=fomey prod # 42 in 89
GTA and TA = 330 in 89

the fig are even lower in 88,87

question 2 "turbo trans am in 89" pro # something like 1,100
there are sopo only 2 verts that are TTA

question 3 "so you saying there is no 91/92 trans am with a 350 stock"
i cant give you an answer on this one but i would think there is.

question 4 "i would think any vert (gta, ta, formluas are rare"
There are a few other birds out there that a also rare like the 88 Notchback GTA pro # 624
Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 AM

hey guys
a word about third gen prices...
i agree they are at rock bottom but i guarantee you that will change...i've seen it with every car i own...
i've owned over 25 mustangs from 64 1/2 to 67....they were cheap cheap cheap..and, they made a ton of them...not very good cars unless you were talking shelby or mach's....now you can't touch them...
bottom line is not performance, it's looks.....that's what sells cars....
example..i just sold a 75 hurst olds w 30...got just under 16k for it...it had a 455 but was about as quick as my lawn tractor.....but, a sexy car...and, nostalgic...ditto for an 84 hurst i just sold (you know the lightning rod shifters...307 and a dog of an engine...again it was sexy so i got good money)..
currently, my garage houses a 68 442 vert, a 79 tata, 83 daytona t/a and an 84 15th t/a....i'm going to buy these third gen's because they are great deals....where can you get a good looking "muscle car" for under 7500k?
trust me, they too, will skyrocket.....everything has and will....you know, history repeats itself
ps..the quickest most responsive car i've ever owned is my bmw 740il and nobody is lining up to buy those....why? not sexy....
buy those third gen's!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 AM

ok lets try to answer some of them kinda vage questions.

"don't they have firehawk vert. so hows that not number 1 on the list or a gta vert"

lower the production numbers more rare it is
Firehawk=fomey prod # 42 in 89
GTA and TA = 330 in 89

the fig are even lower in 88,87

question 2 "turbo trans am in 89" pro # something like 1,100
there are sopo only 2 verts that are TTA

question 3 "so you saying there is no 91/92 trans am with a 350 stock"
i cant give you an answer on this one but i would think there is.

question 4 "i would think any vert (gta, ta, formluas are rare"
There are a few other birds out there that a also rare like the 88 Notchback GTA pro # 624
Actually there were only 139 GTA or Trans Am Verts in 1989 with the 350.

There was only ONE Firehawk Convertible and depending on how many hairs you want to split the car was not originally a 350 car it was an LB9 Trans Am Convertible that SLP converted for a dealership. It is a legitimate Firehawk, and a legitimate Convertible, If its not on my list its because its probably never going to be for sale, the last time I remember someone getting a quote was $100,000, which in my estimation is way out of line at this point in time. I would think $50,000 tops.

John

If you want to know thi truth the rarest Convertibles with a 350 are:
1 Firehawk (92)
3 TTA's (89)
42 Formula 350's (89)
139 GTA or Trans AM's (89)

John
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by Hunnicuttz
haha I would have to get at least $50 for it
I'll bet $1 Bob.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks you john i know you come in with the exact numbers, but what took you so long.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks you john i know you come in with the exact numbers, but what took you so long.
You posted during my nap time

John
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM

You posted during my nap time

John
SO HOW MANY 92 TA LB9 WITH WS6 WERE BUILT
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ZT LSD with 3.42 - LS1 brakes

Wow... I feel bad.. If people are getting TA or GTA with L98s in them for 6-8 K... I feel like a dumb***... I got my 91RS (L03) back in 2001 for 5500... and it had 150K on it...

Wow, I was a dumb kid...

Oh well, at least it now has a L98 frankenstein (88 GTA long block, 90 Formula intake, 91Z Wiring harness)

I guess you live and you learn...

I would say that a clean, fairly low mile 89 would def be worth the 6-8K

Honestly, I dont know about the rarity of them all, but it still is a L98 and lower miles and all that
Old 02-15-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by allgood
SO HOW MANY 92 TA LB9 WITH WS6 WERE BUILT
493 (US SALES) LB9's in 1992 For Trans Am's

No other breakout at this time.

----------
Originally Posted by Imadude_134
Wow... I feel bad.. If people are getting TA or GTA with L98s in them for 6-8 K... I feel like a dumb***... I got my 91RS (L03) back in 2001 for 5500... and it had 150K on it...

Wow, I was a dumb kid...

Oh well, at least it now has a L98 frankenstein (88 GTA long block, 90 Formula intake, 91Z Wiring harness)

I guess you live and you learn...

I would say that a clean, fairly low mile 89 would def be worth the 6-8K

Honestly, I dont know about the rarity of them all, but it still is a L98 and lower miles and all that
would not think your dumb, but I will tell you that the price wil vary from region to region so in your area I do not think it was all that bad. If you HAD to do nothing to the car that is worth a fixerupper that you would have put another $7K to get it as nice... Paying for a nice car done is alot cheeper than fixing it yourself.

Last edited by okfoz; 02-15-2008 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 AM

493 (US SALES) LB9's in 1992 For Trans Am's

No other breakout at this time.

----------

would not think your dumb, but I will tell you that the price wil vary from region to region so in your area I do not think it was all that bad. If you HAD to do nothing to the car that is worth a fixerupper that you would have put another $7K to get it as nice... Paying for a nice car done is alot cheeper than fixing it yourself.
how many of them where convertibles. I believe there where a total of 663 trans am convertibles in 1992 but how many of them had ws6 on it. i also where told you could not get a convertible with a 350 in it
Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM

ALL of the Trans Am Verts had the LB9... The only two options for drivetrain was Manual or Automatic for the Vert, that and Possibly the performace rear axel, but not sure on that, I think only the M5 cars.

It really would depend on how you look at it. In 1992 or at least the last part of it, It appears The WS6 emblem came on all trans am's wheel centercaps, as I have seen too many WS6 Trans Am's with the 235 tires and the WS6 caps. True WS6 Verts should have the 245 tires.. As for production figures I am not really sure honestly I do not have a figure at this time telling me how many were made...

Correct no 91-92 Trans Am Verts with the L98 (350). I believe only 1989 were they made with the combo for Firebirds. Legend has it that about 2 in 1987 and one or two in 1988 wehre cmaroaos with the 350 were ASC Convertibles, but they like the 1989 Firebirds were all ASC conversions and were dealer ordered cars from ASC rather than VIA RPO, structually identical but the VIN would be different.

John

Last edited by okfoz; 02-15-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ZT LSD with 3.42 - LS1 brakes

I was more saying that if I had it to do all over again, I probably could have gotten a Z or and Iroc for about the same price PP (I got mine from a dealership )

For the most part, the car looked like it was good and clean, but over the years I have spent WAY to much on the motor (in repairs), so that is why I finally got the L98.

At least a plus to all the 88 GTA owners and 90 Formula owners, 1 less of each on the road (got the long block from the JY, and the intake from someone on the boards)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:55 PM

are you sure about the 2 fig in the 88 camaro vert?
my friend have a 88 ASC 5.7 vert camaro.
it got hit Small hit and they totaled it want a wast if i know the fig where that low i would got got it.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM

ALL of the Trans Am Verts had the LB9... The only two options for drivetrain was Manual or Automatic for the Vert, that and Possibly the performace rear axel, but not sure on that, I think only the M5 cars.

It really would depend on how you look at it. In 1992 or at least the last part of it, It appears The WS6 emblem came on all trans am's wheel centercaps, as I have seen too many WS6 Trans Am's with the 235 tires and the WS6 caps. True WS6 Verts should have the 245 tires.. As for production figures I am not really sure honestly I do not have a figure at this time telling me how many were made...

Correct no 91-92 Trans Am Verts with the L98 (350). I believe only 1989 were they made with the combo for Firebirds. Legend has it that about 2 in 1987 and one or two in 1988 wehre cmaroaos with the 350 were ASC Convertibles, but they like the 1989 Firebirds were all ASC conversions and were dealer ordered cars from ASC rather than VIA RPO, structually identical but the VIN would be different.

John
i have all my rpo codes. i couldn't read the ones in my console so went to my local gm dealership and gave them the last 8 or 6 number of my vin and they gave me a list of all my rpo codes (ws6, ws4, y83, qlc, pw7, jg1, gu2, g80, fe2 just a few)

Last edited by allgood; 02-15-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 PM

i didn't know that the dealer could give you a list of your RPO. Douse this go for all years or just 91+
Old 02-15-2008, 06:23 PM

i didn't know that the dealer could give you a list of your RPO. Douse this go for all years or just 91+
I'm not sure but i do know from 92 and on i was suprise myself one dealership just gave me a list with the codes and other one gave me a list with the codes and what they stand for.

i was wondering if you could tell me what some of these codes mean as in suspension and rear end.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM

what codes
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM

what codes

6ZX
7ZX
8NM
9NM
AR9 ANY (PIC)
D7C
D8N
E5Z
E9Z
FE2
G80
GU2
J41
JG1
WS4
WS6
Y83
I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE BUT NOT WHAT THEY ARE FOR.

Last edited by allgood; 02-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 PM

ok here we go these codes are for the prod line it tell the guy what to put in this car starting from top
6zx=front d-side spring comp pick to match (kinda like drum sticks you have to find a match residence)
7zx=front p side match
8nm=rear d side match
9nm=rear p side match
e5z=elentronic spedo not cable
e9z=part of e5z
fe2=swaybar
g80=limmet sleep posi rear end
gu2=2.73 rear end gears
j41=steal rear drums
jg1=aluminum drive shaft (??)
ws4= TA model
ws6= perfor package like sup ans ****

i hope this answers your question , also i could be off on some of them.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 PM

ok here we go these codes are for the prod line it tell the guy what to put in this car starting from top
6zx=front d-side spring comp pick to match (kinda like drum sticks you have to find a match residence)
7zx=front p side match
8nm=rear d side match
9nm=rear p side match
e5z=elentronic spedo not cable
e9z=part of e5z
fe2=swaybar
g80=limmet sleep posi rear end
gu2=2.73 rear end gears
j41=steal rear drums
jg1=aluminum drive shaft (??)
ws4= TA model
ws6= perfor package like sup ans ****

i hope this answers your question , also i could be off on some of them.
E5Z=SPEEDOMETER ADAPTER DELETE
D7C=GEAR SPEEDO DRIVEN
D8N= SENSOR, VEH. SPEED
E9Z= SPEEDOMETER KEY DELETE
WHAT ARE THESE FOR
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 PM

e5z means that it is not useing a spedo cable like the older cars. (get rid of)

d76 means there is a censer sort of say that spins(on the trany) then the

d8n electric picks it up and converts it to the MPH.

e9z not sure on

douse this help
Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 PM

e5z means that it is not useing a spedo cable like the older cars. (get rid of)

d76 means there is a censer sort of say that spins(on the trany) then the

d8n electric picks it up and converts it to the MPH.

e9z not sure on

douse this help
THANKS ALOT GTAfanatic
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM

No prob thats why where here
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 PM

No prob thats why where here
i need help making my trunk power i read some where that asc made they non power when they converted the t-tops cars to convertible actually it told every thing they did to them.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 265 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by allgood
i need help making my trunk power i read some where that asc made they non power when they converted the t-tops cars to convertible actually it told every thing they did to them.
You might want to consider posting this in a new thread, if you can't find any answers using the search, inside a more relevant forum such as the https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/

Quick Reply: Is my car rare?