History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

83 duke rpo help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 duke rpo help?

so i picked up the duke on saturday and trying to figure out the rpo list( i was told its the plate on the rad support) i can only figure out 3 peices of it heres exactly how it appears

D 11A 1FP87 N 1 05041
22N 1 1L 1U E
AR9

017290 178502

i know the 1FP87 is the sport coupe done and the ar9 is a deluxe seat code, and 11A showed up as a paint code but it was showing multiple different colors, any help would be great.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z/28
Engine: LU5 305 CFI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: J65/G80/G92-3.23
Re: 83 duke rpo help?

D -Model Year- 1983
11 -Build Month-November
A -Build Week- 1st week Nov
1 -Car Division- Chevrolet
FP -Series(Camaro Sport Coupe)
87 -Body Style-(2 Door Sport Coupe)
N -Assembly Plant- Norwood OH
105041 -Sequential Part of VIN
22N -Interior Trim- Blue Custom Vinyl
11L -Lower Body Color- White
11U -Upper Body Color- White
E -Paint Type- Enamel
AR9 -Seat Type- Reclining Bucket
The last line are plant codes that have to do with interior trim type for door panels,seats,side panels etc.Wildjeff has a better idea of these numbers than I do.The trim tag is an excellent source for '82-'83 cars before the SPID decal.If you are lucky you'll find a build sheet hidden somewhere(bottom of seats,under carpet front or rear,in door panels - just examples).I hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

thanks alot coolram62 cleared up alot, im realy hoping to find out more about the inteior, for the base option car that it is it has a realy nice inteior, blue vinyl seats and everything else is either clue carpet or blue cloth, im usually not a fan of colored inteiors but ive found myself realy liking this one especially with the white exteior.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

You are most welcome Coldblooded.On the interior you mentioned she had the hinged storage compartment in the rear(that's RPO-D42) and the side panels are carpeted(RPO-B48).Those are unusual options,to me,for a I4 Sport Coupe to have.With the Custom uplevel interior you have the additional sound insulation(RPO-BS1).White looks good on a 3rd Gen especially with a blue interior.

What other options are at least visible(ie;power windows,locks,hatch release etc.)?Does she have gauges with tach(RPO-U21)or just warning lights?I believe you had stated in your other post she had the 3 speed auto(would be a 200C).I wouldn't be surprised when you look underneath and find the rear antisway bar.That would indicate RPO-F41 as the rear bar wasn't standard on the Sport Coupe or Berlinetta.

I think it's cool you are going to do a mild restoration on her(maybe with a few mods to update).You are in a similar boat with me as my '83 Z28 has the LU5 CFI 305.Most would say it's not worth it and replace it with either a carb or TPI.I would say our cars are the two ends of the lineup as mine has about every option available in '83 but yours isn't really a base car.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM

the i4 interest me, i cant say that i will leave that motor in for her whole life, but i will atleast keep it tucked away if i ever do remove it. i would have loved to get my hands on a t-top cross fire z28, ive looked for one for a long time and the engines are always swapped when i find one.

anyways on the options, like i said its a very odd mix of options, manual windows and locks, just the driver side joy stick type controler for the mirror, AC, what seems like a higher option radio, doesnt have a cassette but yet it has all the sliders for the sound options, has the full seat belt(ive looked at other 82's and 83's and a few ive looked at did not have this). yes it has the storage compartment and everything except the headliner and im guessing the sail panels was blue carpet(sail panels and headliner are both missing) to my surprise the spare tire has never been used, shes a 3spd auto, she has what appears to be either factory or dealer sprayed undercoating on her floor pans, and ive never seen a body this nice on a unrestored or non garage kept third gen, with the exception of the bottom of the driver side door the car is rust free, even still has the from camaro liscence plate you see in all the factory pics of the early third gen, im still noticing options on her that i didnt notice when i picked her up. unfortunally she only has the dummy lights.

To clear up the mystery of the odd options thou i did find out, that the orignal owner was a older woman who had bought the car brand new in late 83 so im willing to bet a good deal of money this car is a customer ordered car not a regular dealer car. im actually the third owner with only 87,000 on the clock, the kid i got it from bought it in 2006 and only put about 1400 on her before the head gasket blew on him and he left it sit. i can say thou compared to my normal v8 and even the v6 in my blazer this head is a real SOB to get off that motor, bolts are placed in such awkward places that its just frustrating the crap out of me she may just get sent to a shop so i dont have to do it, its realy irrating me, ive built motors from the block up and i cant get the head off this thing to change a head gasket
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Finding CFI Z28's that are complete and running are hard to come by.Mine came from a friend that had bought her as a project but his job changed and she sat for over 6 months without being touched.

The dual sport mirrors with left remote(RPO-D35)was an option on the Sport Coupe.The base mirrors were black and actually a paddle style according to the parts catalog.

On the sail panels they are covered in the same material as the headliner.You could always swap the cluster out for full gauges(keeping the original)if you wanted.The body and underside on mine are very nice except for some damage to the right quarter behind the door.

The early 2.5 motors had several problems with lubrication and cooling.You maybe better off finding a later motor('88 up)from a S-Series.You want fun try replacing the coil pack from a FWD 2.5 Grand Am.You have to be triple jointed.