History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

best 3rd gen to restore

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro vert
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt... not blow up yet
Originally Posted by rwdtech
why dont you get something relatively small and front wheel drive for a first car. MANY people wreck their first car... That way you could drive that and save up money for a nice 3rd gen later. that would be the best idea in the long run but im sure u wont listen cause u "want one now"...ive been there too. when i wanted a 3rd gen no one couldve convinced me otherwise. Whatever you do, good luck and be careful with it
VERY VERY VERY TRUE!!!!
a few yeas ago my parents got me a 92 z28 as my first car. bad choice but every1 was envious of me at school.4 days after i got my lisense i did a 180 into a pole no one was hurt but my pride was. my father is a mechanic and we fixed it but it was a lot of work and trying times just an example of the work....

the cowl had to be pulled 2 in
the uniframe had to be pulled 1.5 in
the engine cradel, lower control arm, spindle, steering knuckle, everything brakes, fender, fender support rail, air box, rim and gfx had to be changed

please just think before u get a powerful car like i did
then again today i have a show car but still be safe think
Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff
I'm 21, so I'm still haven't "sewn my wild oats" yet.

I had an old 94 civic that I beat the snot out of cuz I didnt know better. I baby my 3rd gen now like no other.

If you can get a beater while you save up for a 3rd gen that's defiantely a good idea. You can also save on gas milesage while the camaro sits in the garage and out of the snow and rain!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Recaro Option T/A
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3:27 Borg Warner
Keep your eye open for uniquely optioned cars rarely seen, like something with cool seats

Last edited by 85 T/A WS6; 12-05-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:06 PM

i live in florida. snow, and the salted roads that come with it aren't a problem here. maybe you could say a sports car has to much power for a newbie driver.your probably right.but if i go and get a camaro, i'd be babying the thing.i'm not as scared of wrecking it as i am of having to tell my folks afterward that i wrecked it. i was planning to get an old truck for other reasons(woods vehicle, muddin',tow my boat etc.) the camaro was gonna be more of a car to drive around town/ to school.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff
How's the car insurance in Florida? In New Jersey, it's killer, especially on a 3rd gen.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by z28roadtrip
lately i've been watching the classifieds, and there is a decent amount of cheap 3rd gens. , but they all need a lot of work. is it worth restoring them? what do ya'll figure is the best year / model for restoring? i'll probably wind up with a rs, or z28 with a v6, because its cheapest. i'm hoping to be able to scrounge up enough cash to be able to buy a camaro, and fix it up some so that when i get my drivers liscense in a year and a half i'll have a decent vehicle...... i can dream anyways.... i got the time, and tools, now i just gotta get the camaro.
this is something i ponder alot... it truly depends on what your expectations are. when you mean restoring in the most literal sense of the word that means to return the car to it's original factory condition as it were had you purchased it new. if this is the case currently the 91-92 z28 350 hardtop brings the most money dollar for dollar underneath the 91-92 305 z28 convertible being the top dog assuming you were talking about zero mileage perfect condition cars in todays era.

only time will tell what these cars are worth but i can assure you as someone who looks for 91-92 v6/305 tbi cars to cut up as parts cars they aren't worth much other then their gfx. unless you find someone whom just absolutely loves the v6's handling ability or the the rs look with the slow and gas hungry 305tbi the rs won't ever pull much on average.

now if you just want to build a car for fun... go for the cheapest and cleanest shell/body you can find. stay away from anything with rusted out floor boards or badly rusted rear quarters. everything else is fairly easily replaceable.

in the end the 91-92's are the best years all around though as they offered the best options and as parts go have the most expensive parts on them so rather your parting the car or building one they are the good base to start with.
----------
Originally Posted by 85 T/A WS6
Keep your eye open for uniquely optioned cars rarely seen, like something with cool seats
the problem with these like the recaro and mecham models is the fact that they were so limited the cost on one in really nice shape is pretty high so only those who know about them will care to be interested in them.

the turbo trans am is probably one of the most reviered only because of it's drivetrain and while they fetch a pretty penny on average and with most of the general thirdgen public they are not a model considered worth chasing after. it's more of a "well if the price is right". which is ashame because there are some pretty nice models like this out there.

Last edited by Kandied91z; 12-18-2006 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Going by production numbers, the 92 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA are the rarest. For example there were only 228 GTA's and 1065 Formulas made in 92 and even certain Firebird packages (my W68) were only produced in the low thousands. When broken down to color, options, etc this equals production numbers only in the hundreds. Hell, there were only 27,000 total cars made in 1992 compared to 110,000 T/A's made in 1979. (Just T/A's, not including all the other Formulas, etc. for 79)
Old 12-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
the "best" thirdgen to restore is one that is already done, you save 50% of the cost and enjoy 100% of the benefits
Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Just keep an eye out in all of the classifides for your area. I know for me it took several months to find the Camaro that I couldn't live without. I would look for one that runs and drives good, but has a few blemishes when it comes to looks. That will help keep the price down. Then you can drive it (knowing ou have a mechanically sound vehicle) and worry about restoring the visual blemishes in stages.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Z28 (Heritage Edition)
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi
As previously stated, you should definately attempt to get the most you possibly can so you have to restore/fix as little as possible. These cars are old, and even low mileage 3rd gens will have problems due to age.

I'm 18 now and have had a 3rd gen since i was 16. My original price range for my 1st thirdgen was $4000...but my dad didn't like what you could get for $4000 (most cars that people would think were in really good shape, he rejected because they had almost 100k miles haha). He wanted to put me in the sturdiest, safest thirdgen he could...so he started increasing my budget so that we could get a nice car. Ended up spending $6700 on a 1992 RS that had 45,111 miles, 305TBI/Auto, hardtop and heritage package. Don't know if your parents are the same way, but maybe you can get some additional spending money out of them by telling them you'd like to get the safest, most reliable, sturdiest thirdgen you can.

My RS was by no means a powerful car, but the front engine/rear drive configuration is a tricky combo to get used to, even with a low powered car. As in my case, you don't have to drive it hard to experience problems (In fact, i babied that car beyond belief). The very light rear end becomes hazardous in moderate-heavy rains. In the situations when it does loose traction (for whatever reason, hydroplaning, turning, accelerating, etc.) it becomes very unpredictable and much more unstable then a heavier and/or FWD/AWD vehicle. This is what happened to be as i hydroplaned in an intense rain storm and the car just whipped around and starting spinning.

In short, if your seriously considering a thirdgen, try to get the best one you possibly get...but beware that even a responsible driver can fall victim to the difficulties of driving a rear wheel drive car, especially an inexperienced driver.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I picked up the exact car I was looking for, for a song.. 2.8 Tuned Port 5 speed Firebird, power everything, hard top, A/C, all that fun stuff, and to boot, the guy put in a factory Pontiac CD player so it looks original.. Not bad for 1500$.. Gonna have it on the road in March, just low on $$$.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89
Originally Posted by Drew
My 84 6cyl 5spd coupe was $200 at a tow yard auction. I drove it home and everyday until I got pissed and blew up the engine.
LOL...back to the point. If you get one, buy what you want. If you are not planning on reselling it, then get one in good condition. I would get a good body. The front fenders, hood, and doors I wouldn't worry to much about because it can be replaced easier than the back. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 AM
On Probation

Car: 2002 Formula
Engine: 5.7 LS1
You guys are talking about 3rd gens arent worth much, no investment ect, ect. Similar to conversation a friend and I were having 25 years ago about the 71-72 camaro. Also, I pointed out Firebirds also have no value. As I stated in another post I had the chance to buy a Cuda for 800.00. They are asking premium prices for VEGAS. A f$%#in Vega you couldn't give away 20 years ago is going for more then they sold for.(if you have a vega you want to get rid of contact me) The buzz has started. Most of the ones on the road now are worn out pieces of crap. People on this site have cars that look better then when they were new. As the 70's cars get out of reach, people will start looking at the 3rd gens. Then gen that drove moms 3rd in 82, their kids are grown which leaves more disposable income. Plus the "middle age crisis". Watch the prices start to rise, within next 5 years. They will be market driven, you will not get top dollar in Lepanto Arkansas.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Z28 (Heritage Edition)
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi
Third Gens will undoubtably go up in value. The truth is that with each passing day there are less and less of them on the road. Even "decent" cars are becoming hard to find, which is making them rarer and rarer. Seeing a nice thirdgen on the road now is pretty damn rare. They're still out there, but unless you know someone with a nice thirdgen, your not typically gonna see them that much.

The way I see it is that the regular Firebirds, some Formulas and Trans am's, Berlinettas, RS's, and Sport Coupe Camaros are going to remain cheap and because they generate nearly no collector value, will be the cars that we see getting bought to be raced and/or modded. The more desirable third gens such Irocs, GTAs, Heritage Camaros, 91/92 Z28s, 91/92 Banshee Trans Ams and GTAs will be the the ones who start to really gain value and will really spur the price increases of the Thirdgen. And finally 1LE's, B4C's, Firehawks, TTA's will be the most coveted of the Third Gen Market. They will always demand the highest prices and stay the most desirable. Pretty soon most of them will be out of most people's price ranges.

Just MO. Im sure people will disagree