History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

US rules for Salvage titles

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
US rules for Salvage titles

Looking at a car that originated in the US and is now in Canada. At one point it received a salvage title in New York. I was just wondering what the US rules are as far as titles go.

1 WHen you get in an accident and insurance decides to fix the car, the title never changes to salvage first and then rebuilt does it?

2. When a title is salvage, can you ever get that car back on the road in that state (i am wondering if this is why it then came to Canada)?

thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
From state to state it will depend on the circumstances.

From talking to people in OH ( I dated a girl there and her dad owned a frame shop, he did several Rebuilds ). Apparently if the car is in an accident to where it cannot be driven away under its own power it can be considered Salvage, so if you blow a tire in an accident and do not have a spare, or if your steering is gorked up because of the crash it could automatically become a salvage title.

In Michigan I have purchased cars from Junk yards and it came with a CLEAN title, But when I brought a salvage title car in from Indiana, but the car was totaled in Ohio, (not seriously hurt) I retained the salvage status, mroe recently I learned that the car was re-titled "Rebuilt".

In Michigan IF you total your car but opt to have it fixed with your own money then it retains a clear title. IF you opt to have the insurance company Total it you recieve money for the car without fixing it BUT you have the option to purchase the car from the Ins company ( I AM SURE IT WILL DEPEND ON THE INS CO ), then you get a salvage title. Interestingly therefore I suspect if you do not have Collision Coverage on the car the car never goes into salvage status because the Insurance company never bought out the car...
I have an ECM from a car that was severly burned, I found it in a junkyard in St Louis MI. At the time I wrote down the VIN on the ECM and out of curisity I cheked it on CARFAX several years later and the car was never reported as Junked or salvaged.

A salvage title may be a Theft recovery After the Insurance company paid out on the claim (usually 30 or so days)...

THats how it appears to work down here.

John