History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

A "Team" Camaro? Right...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:22 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
A "Team" Camaro? Right...

Gotta love the crap you find on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=598418561

This is either a dealer thing, or a total joke? Which one?

And for anyone who may be interested, "Trusted For Years" '86 Z has a bid...as does this Team Camaro. Amazing what people will buy...should make my mint RS an easy sell then!!

------------------
Jason E

'97 Z28
-30th Anniversary package (white with orange stripes)
-LT1, M6, t-tops, 46k
miles, killer stereo

'95 Grand Am SE 3.1 Coupe
-Red, AT, 112k, kept up with a '95 Stang GT auto once

FOR SALE: '89 RS 2.8 w/ t-tops

Third-gen-less for now...but not forever
Long Live #3...
Old 11-25-2001, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: auto
I've actually heard of a Team Camaro--years ago!! That car looks like a rat in those pics tho!
Old 11-25-2001, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
this car is not an 87. look closely on the hatch, and you'll see the 86 third brake light.

the wheels look to be from an 80's cutlass.

Old 11-25-2001, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro SC
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4
Wow I'm suprized he didnt call it a Z28 IROC race edition by team camaro, this car comes with a 325 hp v6 motor specialy preped by team camaro mechanics.Only 10,000 dollars...........comon any bids...........please oh please buy this piece of crap from him.LOL LOL
Who would by that sport coupe,It sounds like this was this guys first resto project and he fuged it up bigtime.He has a wood dash in it too, I bet it sits crooked and rattles like hel!,even when the motor runs right.AH HA HA HA HAAAAA.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
This is another aftermarket morphodite. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
-Its not a factory package
-Its not GM approved
-Its no more rare than any other customized car
-Any value it had went away when someone added the wide body kit and all the other plastic garbage.
-No VIN number. NEVER buy a car without checking the VIN.
-Even if it was all original, it'd still be a V6 sport coupe, AKA worthless.

<EMBED SRC="http://www.xs4all.nl/~jmm/a-team/sound/at_theme.wav" AUTOSTART="true" HIDDEN="true" LOOP="true">

Last edited by Drew; 04-15-2002 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:46 PM
Banned

I PITY THA FOO THAT BUYS THAT CAR......
Old 11-26-2001, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Check out the options: "Anti Lock Brakes" lol, this guy MUST be an idiot.
It looks like Mr.T did a nice job on the hood scoop and door dent
Old 11-26-2001, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hehe! It has four bids on it now. Maybe one of the losers would be interested in that "Ferrari" or that rare two seat roadster that was on eBay a while back! Remember, buy bidding on a car like that you are saying yes to stupidity .
Old 11-26-2001, 04:09 PM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
I grew up in the Philly area and remember seeing some of these in the 80's. It was probably a dealer installed setup or a regional thing as I was in NJ. Also, the car came without the rear spoiler which is why it has the high mount brake light. I don't remember the car having a body kit as much as I remember it did decals and different paint.

------------------
87 IROC 350 TPI with less than 10k original miles
93 Z28 Pace Car #494 of 645
86 Olds 442 (All Original)

My IROC Website
Northstar Camaro Club of Minnesota
Old 11-26-2001, 04:40 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

I assumed it was a dealer thing...what kills me is how the idiot says "only 5,000 made." I hate it when people lie and then have less than nothing to back it up with.

Scott,
Looking at your new sig makes me realize I am doing the right thing by selling my RS and getting a more practical driver, rather than trying to save it. After grad school, I want a 20-30k mile version of your car, or one almost like it
Old 11-26-2001, 07:51 PM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jason E:
I am doing the right thing by selling my RS and getting a more practical driver, rather than trying to save it. After grad school, I want a 20-30k mile version of your car, or one almost like it </font>
The cars will be there when you're finished with school. I bought mine last year and have found a few since. The issue is getting the right price on one! Good luck in school.

------------------
87 IROC 350 TPI with less than 10k original miles
93 Z28 Pace Car #494 of 645
86 Olds 442 (All Original)

My IROC Website
Northstar Camaro Club of Minnesota
Old 11-26-2001, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 IROC Convt
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Weeeeeeeell!
Too many people jumping to conclusions here.

The TeamCamaro is NOT a dealer option. It was one of 3 different conversion packages available from Choo Choo Customs in the mid 80's. I don't know where it comes from that these cars are not "GM approved". As some may remember, GM used Choo Choo Customs for years to make the SS conversions of the ElCamino - so it was definitely a company that GM had connections with.
And, it was also mentioned that the value of the car is gone because of the body kit added - well, those pieces were part of the conversion!

Let me list the details on the TeamCamaro as stated in the brocheur from Choo Choo Customs:

"The Team Camaro claims its place at the head of our Camaro class. In the tradition of the IROC and Z-28. Team Camaro sports Ground Effects, Hood Scoop plus Cragar Protech Wheels. The interior catches your breath with a European Wood Instrument Panel, Dash and Accessories. To say this is the ultimate Camaro may be an understatement"

Team Camaro
* Luxuriously Genuine Wood Instrument Panel. Dash, and Console Accessories
* Paint Design and Pinstriping
* Team Camaro Decals (Side, Front, and Rear)
* Ground Effects Panels (Side, Front, and Rear)
* Exhaust Extensions
* Rear Deck Lid Spoiler
* Hood Scoop
* Team Camaro Air Cleaner Decal

Options:
* Cragar Protech 15" Custom Wheels
* 14" Leather Steering Wheel
* If factory rear spoiler ordered
* If either aluminum or burlewood dash ordered

Available in Bright Red, Midnight Black, Dark Blue, and Charcoal Metallic only, all with lower portion in silver accent.

"Since the beginning, Choo Choo Customs has built its reputation on quality conversions of Chevrolet vans and trucks. We proudly embrace the distinction of producing the most widely recognized van and truck conversions in the industry.
Now Choo Choo Customs is ready to respond to a question we have often been asked: 'When will you offer conversions on cars?' Introducing Chevrolet's and Choo Choo Customs' exciting new Camaros.
Just when everyone thought the hottest new car on the road couldn't get any hotter...it is.
And Choo Choo Customs offers three complete Camaro conversion packages to meet every styling taste - the economical Camaro SS, the sleek Camaro SX and the ultimate Team Camaro.
In the tradition of our van and truck conversion, Chevrolet and Choo Choo Customs continue to share an appreciation for one-of-a-kind craftsmanship in a respect for product excellence. What better way to introduce Choo Choo Customs' entry into car conversions than with the exclusive Camaro.
Our van and truck conversions will, of course, continue, while our Camaro conversions mark the beginning of an exciting new phase at Choo Choo Customs. Take a good look at the pages you now hold. These three Camaro conversions are about to make automotive history.
Sincerely,
John Rogers (sign)
President
Choo Choo Customs, Inc"

There are the details from the brocheur.
It tickles me that so many write off anything that they have not heard of...

As for the car for sale at ebay, it looks quite beat up, but I sure wouldn't mind owning one of these cars in good condition.

Ken

------------------
1986 IROC-Z Conv't
- White Gauges, 17x9.5 TT II rims w/275/40x17" F1s, 1.5" Jamex Lowering Springs, BMR stb, Lakewood APR, PST suspension parts, Edelbrock Trailing Arms, KYBs, Edelbrock RPM Cat-Back, Edelbrock JHC Headers, Catco, World Products Heads, CompCam, SLP runners, Ported Plenum, K&N, Airfoil +polished/billet dress-up stuff

ChevyKen's Cars

Administrator @ ChevyWorld.net

[This message has been edited by ChevyKen (edited November 26, 2001).]
Old 11-27-2001, 03:04 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Ken, I'm not doubting it's name, I'm just pointed out that this guy is an idiot. Unless they installed anti-lock brakes (ABS) and didn't tell anybody...then his add is full of bull****.
Even if it is rare....it's still a joke. The only person I could see owning one of these is a guy holding onto a mint first year mini-van in tan and saddle with 14" hub caps . This is the kind of car that should never have been. Oh well, that's my opinion and to each his own.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 11-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
I don't know. If in proper shape it is a part of Camaro history (good or bad) and some should be preserved. After the gas crunch people probably thought those 454 Baldwin Motion Camaro's were pretty gawdy with all those spoilers and bolt on stuff, heheheheh.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI Edelbrock Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake 1 5/8" Headers Semi-Siamesed Runners, IROC
suspension, alum shaft. Numerous mods.
92Z28convt5spd (stock)
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 11-28-2001, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

By not being GM approved I meant that it wasn't something GM thought enough of to make these changes themselves. It would be rather like if I set up a company here where I purchased new Z28's off the Chevy dealers lot and added a bunch of cheesy Kmart addons and then made a deal with the dealership to sell them.
Bottom line is that its not anything that GM advertised, its not any different than anyone on these boards modifying a car, and in almost all cases its not going to improve the value. If it were a package that actually improved the performance, it'd be different, if it were something that GM had hyped when the cars were new, it might be worth something. But as it sits, unless you find someone that wants specifically a "team" camaro, its not worth as much as the car it was transformed from.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

being 300...sounds like a good parts car for my IROC.

------------------
1987 Black 305 TPI 5spd IROC, G92, 9-bolt 3.45, Lowered, Cat-back, Air Foil, Sub Frames, Huge sways........Wrecked by a deer.
Looking for a 1995 Honda CR125R in NJ or PA. I have one for sale...RRP Sleeve Job, Vertex Piston, New Sprokets and a x-ring chain, new botom end with crank...etc etc
look here
http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P1+C18+R100004616

AIM: IROC 5spd
http://www.geocities.com/chevy5spdiroc/87Roc.htm
Old 11-28-2001, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

If the car really has only 45K, then someone got a pretty good deal on the car even if it needs a lot of exterior work.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robertg:
this car is not an 87. look closely on the hatch, and you'll see the 86 third brake light.
</font>
The '86 third brake light was used on '87 sport coupes without a spoiler. There was just a posting on this subject on this forum.

------------------
IROCnRoll.com
'86 Camaro Sport Coupe and '88 IROC

Old 11-28-2001, 02:22 PM
TGO Supporter

Hey ChevyKen, where did you find that brochure? Did they have any pics of "team camaro" or "camaro SX" cars that weren't totally beat up like the ebay one? And I'm curious as to how the wooden dash and interior looks.

I've never even heard of this, let alone seen any....

Old 11-29-2001, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 IROC Convt
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
TrueBlue91RS, I got the brochure (or a xerox copy actually) from Choo Choo Customs a few years ago. Yes, I have a pic, unfortunately it is black and white as it is not the original color brochure I have, but here it is: http://www.chevyworld.net/misc/images/teamcamaro1.jpg

JPrevost,
Yeah, the dude may very well be an idiot, or he may be mistaken on the anti-lock part. The other info is legit as far as I know, and the price is not bad at all...even for a regular v6.
I don't know what the mini-van comment is about, but that's alright
However, personally I don't think it is right to say that it is a car that "should never have been" - you have to consider the time that it was actually made.
Yeah, I agree it could've had some performance mods to back up the other changes, or at least have been built on a Z28. But, it wasn't and I think that is related to the era in which the car was built. Look at other cars from that period. "Styling" or gfx was something that really hit off in the 80's - that was the "thing" during that era. I think that is a big factor why these cars were built this way, rather than on performance upgrades.

Drew,
So, what you are saying is that all aftermarket conversions that add things that GM didn't, is not GM approved..? Isn't that (adding things that GM didn't) what aftermarket conversions are? I would say that these Camaros are more similar to the Gladiator, Starcraft and Tiara van/truck conversions - conversions where looks etc is the main concern.
I agree that you could purchase new Z's and add on stuff to it, and again, isnt that what aftermarket conversions are..? And, I think it is important to remember that some of the things that were "in" 15 years ago, will be considered "k-mart" parts today. I certainly think that will be the same 15 years from today. We'll laugh our @sses off at some of the things we do today. That's just the way it is.

The bottom line of my opinion and these (and other similar) conversions - is that one have to take it for what it was. It was an alteration that was "in" at the time. I think it is important to take care of cars that actually represent a conversion program, wether it was "ordered" by GM or the GM dealerships. If it is correct what was stated in the ebay add, that 5000 were produced, it actually was a noticeable % of the V6 cars from those years.
Also, I think it is pretty cool that these cars feature some body parts that you cannot find anywhere else, like those particular ground effects, rear valance, sidepipes as well as wood interior.

I also think that even though the "GM approval" is somewhat essential to collectors, it doesn't neccessarily mean much to anyone else. Look at my own car, an 86 IROC-Z convertible. It isn't an "official" GM convertible, as the VIN still indicates that it is a coupe. However, the car is IDENTICAL to an 87 ASC conversion. All parts are the same, the only difference is the VIN and that there is no ASC sticker on the door. Does it mean that I can't sell it and get good price for it? Not hardly! Maybe not to a hardcore collector, but to anyone else who is just looking for a thirdgen convt. Believe me, I've had a nice share of offers!

Sorry for the long post, it is not at ALL meant as an attack on anyone - we are all entitled to our opinions, so I am merly stating my thoughts - and I fully accept everyone else's.

I enjoy the discussion!

Ken
Old 11-29-2001, 02:34 AM
TGO Supporter

Thanks for posting the pic, it actually came out pretty well. Didn't quite capture the wooden dash, though. Too bad, I really wanted to get a look at it

I think I have to agree with Ken. I mean, even if you're not crazy about the mods, you gotta admit that it's interesting to know that there's something like that out there.

Personally I'm glad that not all of our cars look the same, for better or for worse. That would be pretty boring. Cars go through trends just like anything else. Some rock, some suck. But it's nice to see that some companies had taken interest, even if they were off the mark. Besides, if everybody condemned all non-gm affiliated aftermarket conversions right off the bat there wouldn't have been Yenko or SLP conversions either.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

SLP and Yenko are considerably different. SLP was a GM approved movement. GM sold the parts at the dealerships and even installed them with warranty. Same for the Firehawk, GM was all about SLP's work. The SS and WS6 cars were SLP's doing also.

A little over a year ago I got married. Down the street from my in-laws house I noticed a Camaro. Over the course of the months spent preparing for the wedding I watched the Camaro go from a fairly clean 84-ish Z28 to a morphodite as the owners added a wide body kit, huge spoiler, side pipes, and what not. Last I saw of it, the car was three shades of brown and black primer with purple tinted windows. What's the difference between this car and a "team camaro"? I don't see any difference really.
Truth be told I don't like many aftermarket conversions or what most of the people on the appearance and detailing board feel they need to do to their cars to make them cool. While each of these aftermarket conversions may have their following, for myself and I'm sure I'm not alone, they will never hold the value that they would if they were unmolested or as much as an original 100% GM car with similar options.

Just a difference of opinion, I'm not trying to change anyone elses view either.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:19 AM
TGO Supporter

My understanding was that SLP was just a company that began focussing on aftermarket conversions for f-bodys and did not initially have GM support. And I thought Yenko Camaros began as an "options and mods package" brainchild of a dealer before GM got directly involed. Is this not the case for either?

I was just trying to make the point that the ideas have to be put out there before they can gain acceptance in the public and with GM. Some are winners and some are losers. Like I said, can't say I'm a huge fan of the "Team Camaro" decisions, but I don't knock them for trying.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 449 Likes on 276 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip
I know this is off the topic but I agree with Drew on keeping my car original. I never gotten into the aftermarket upgrades other than a K & N filter, aftermarket exhaust and the hypertech coolant switch. Other than that, my car is totally stock.

Alot of people like the upgrades with rims, stereos, wings, lights in the dash, etc., but look at all of the older first and second gen camaros that are original and all stock. They, in my opinion, get more attention as an unmolested survivor than do the nonmatching engine with crager wheels, etc.

Even now, the unmolested thirdgens are garnering some more attention.

All of this is just my opinion!!!

Manny

------------------
92 Bright Red z28, 350, 47k miles, pw, pl, power mirrors, power drivers seat, rear defroster, limited slip performance axle, 4 wheel discs, red leather interior and the Heritage Package!!
Old 04-14-2002, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

i think that the team camaro was a real car. it was some conversion kit. as chevyken was saying before. i think ive seen one before. my dad repos cars and he got this 87 camaro coupe in once that was a v6 auto that had a wood grain dash that wasnt rigged in and a different factory hood scope and a different rear spoiler. the only things it doesnt have is the team camaro decales and ground effects
Old 04-14-2002, 05:17 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

To add to what topduarte and Drew mentioned...

I agree, an unmolested, original third gen is a great site, at least to me. How many are out there anymore? Think of all the cars people got their hands on throughout the years, modded the hell out of, then threw away. Its sad to think about. The only thing worse in my mind than modding a very clean, original third gen is tacking a bodykit on it

In the 3 days I drove my Formula around before deciding to buy it, I had 2 kinds of responses to it. "Wow, a clean, nice original Formula!" or "What, no Flowmaster? Where's the 350??"

To me, taking a car that has survived 13 years with no accidents or modifications and dumping in a 350 and hacking it up is silly. If thats your thing, more power to ya. But once I can sit down and actually spend real $$ on cleaning it up (the surface rust will be fixed the old fashioned way, in my driveway ) in 2 years, I think seeing a mint Formula without window tint, tacky body add ons and a 3.5" exhaust will be a nice site indeed.

If someone wants to take a nice clean car and hack it, motor swap it or whatever, thats their choice. Not my thing. I'm sure my Formula with its "little" 305 TPI all cleaned up will get more than enough attention, and I will be proud to say I saved a car that probably woud've hit the boneyard in a few years after some kid bought it, raced it and wrecked it...
Old 04-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: GMPP 350 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Jason E I totally agree with you. Couldnt have said it any better myself
Old 04-15-2002, 12:13 AM

Jason do I smack you now or later??? As you know I completely agree on originality. Seeing as I am spending a mint restoring my horrible 83 L69 I don't think you can argue. However no window tint??? That is extreme. So here in South Florida it would be better to let my interior fade rather then tint windows. What an idiot
Old 04-15-2002, 11:07 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Yes Matt, we all know the sun up here in MA is every bit as brutal as FL...therefore, all of us up here should run out and tint the windows on our cars...

Consider the source of what I'm referring to. FL is a different story....so who should smack who???