History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

idea: IROC VIII Racecar replica

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
idea: IROC VIII Racecar replica

I've had this idea for a long time now and I'm sure I'm not the only one. A search turned up at least 1 thread with somebody who had the same idea. I have always longed to build an IROC based on a production car that resembles the IROC racecars from IROC VIII.

I couldn't work for a better company right now to do so, maybe with the exception of working for IROC. I work for Katech, the company that built the engines for IROC in the 80's.

I think I could do it pretty cheaply. I could find a 1985-1990 IROC coupe w/o t-tops that was pretty rough and needed paint or mechanical work. I would completely gut the car and sell the parts not needed. Weld in a cage, weld the doors shut, remove the side glass, paint the interior white, fab a custom dash, throw in some race seats and harnesses, drop in a budget carbureted 350, T-5, hit it with some paint and do some custom vinyl graphics. It would be a fun project and I wouldn't do it to an IROC that was nice to begin with because I would feel guily ruining it, but find one that may be destined for a junkyard anyways and have a little fun with it.

Here are a few of the quirks and how I see getting around them. Any ideas or feedback is appreciated.

CHASSIS:
The IROC racecars were built on a completely unique tubular chassis that was a little longer, wider and shorter than a production IROC. The only production parts used were the roof and a-pillar skins.

Solution; Chop the top a little bit to give it a shorter look. I can't really make it wider. It would have to be extremely slight, because I don't want to hit my head on the ceiling. Maybe don't even chop it at all.

TIRES:
Due to the wider body and chassis, wider tires could be used.

Solution; I would have to find a size of tire that would fit into production side wheel wells and still look somewhat like a replica. Cragar makes some cheap rims that look a lot like the racecar rims, but I'm worried the offset is too much.

BODY:
The racecar has front and rear fascias and sideskirts made by a company called Diversified Products formerly located in nearby Pontiac, Michigan. I don't think they are in business anymore after doing a little bit of searching. If anybody knows the history of this company let me know.

Solution; Short of finding some old pieces from Diversified Products, which would be an absolute miracle, I'd have to make my own. I'd have to fiberglass over the production front and rear facsias and sideskirts to make them larger. Luckily I found some excellent IROC literature at work with some dimensions on it.

ENGINE:
The IROC racecars used a dry sump 350ci 400hp engine built by Katech.

Solution; I could built a wet sump budget 350 that merely resembled the Katech engine. I'm not going so much on performance here as I am on budet and looks.

TRANSMISSION:
The IROCs had a race built 5 speed transmission.

Solution; Simply use a T-5 out of a production IROC

REAR AXLE:
The IROCs had a unique axle with quick change differential.

Solution; I think I would just use the production 10 bolt here

SUSPENSION:
Double wishbone front Grand National suspension.

Solution; Just use production suspension pieces

EXHAUST:
The IROC racecars dumped exhaust out the side under the sideskirt.

Solution; Just use headers and fab true duals dumping out the side.

GRAPHICS:
Solution; Get custom made vinyl to resemble the series. Not difficult, but could get expensive as things add up.

LEGALITY:
The IROCs did not have side view mirrors or turn signals.

Solution; Keep all of the lights operational. Just cover up the headlights with removable headlight covers. Keep the sideview mirrors off and risk it with the cops.

EASE OF USE:
The doors would be welded shut, therefore no side window glass. If it rained I guess you would just have to drive it home. If I wanted to park it somewhere I guess I would just have to leave it open.

Go ahead and give me some ideas/feedback. I should probably also include that I'm no newbie when it comes to IROCs or a project of this scale. I've owned 2 IROCs and 1 Z28. I'm capable of the fabrication and welding involved in the project. I'm a certified mechanic, and I have excellent resources since I work for Katech. I think I'm capable of a do-it-yourself half-assed paint job. My dad painted his 79 Firebird himself and still has all the equipment so there should be no reason why I can't also. I'm experienced in fiberglass work so with enough time I think I could fab some fascias based off the production ones.

Flame away
Old 02-26-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R
Question... what would you do after it is done? It does sound like one helluva plan and would be very cool to do.

I know it wouldn't be exactly like a IROC car, but here's my suggestion... build it to somebody's rulebook so that should you decide to track it, you won't be illegal for something small. SCCA has American-Sedan and NASA has CamaroMustangChallenge. I'm in the slow process of building mine for CMC. Cage, harnesses etc. They allow front airdams, spoilers, gutted interior and side glass.

A few differences right off the bat tho.. they don't allow welding of the doors, but you can completly gut the door if you're using NASCAR type door bars. Wheels are limited to 16x8s. Solution: Have a street/replica set wik some big fat tires, and a few 16x8s for racing. Now the biggie... both series only use 305's. CMC has a HP/TQ limit, where I don't believe AS does, so an AS motor will cost much more. Solution: Build a fun 350 for street/looks, and a 305 should you go racing.

On the note of removing the side glass, I know a few people who have made 'travel windows' that attach to the car with dzus fasteners for when they trailer their car.

btw NASA's rules are a bit more 'stock' than SCCA's
Old 02-27-2006, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
They run the Camaros in the IROC series for several years, so there may be a few of them left around in the back of some racing shops. If this is the case, you might be able to get one of the real cars.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great idea
but beware u cant use a standard T5 on 400 hp engine
it will break,
Old 02-27-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by GMan 3MT
Question... what would you do after it is done? It does sound like one helluva plan and would be very cool to do.

I know it wouldn't be exactly like a IROC car, but here's my suggestion... build it to somebody's rulebook so that should you decide to track it, you won't be illegal for something small. SCCA has American-Sedan and NASA has CamaroMustangChallenge. I'm in the slow process of building mine for CMC. Cage, harnesses etc. They allow front airdams, spoilers, gutted interior and side glass.

A few differences right off the bat tho.. they don't allow welding of the doors, but you can completly gut the door if you're using NASCAR type door bars. Wheels are limited to 16x8s. Solution: Have a street/replica set wik some big fat tires, and a few 16x8s for racing. Now the biggie... both series only use 305's. CMC has a HP/TQ limit, where I don't believe AS does, so an AS motor will cost much more. Solution: Build a fun 350 for street/looks, and a 305 should you go racing.

On the note of removing the side glass, I know a few people who have made 'travel windows' that attach to the car with dzus fasteners for when they trailer their car.

btw NASA's rules are a bit more 'stock' than SCCA's

Good thoughts. This project would be purely for fun. I don't want to build it to the constraints of any specific rules, rather just to have fun and build it how I want it. It would be mainly for street fun and for my own personal fulfillment. It's not necessarily intended for road racing or drag racing. It might see the track once or twice just for fun. Are you asking me if I would sell it?

Originally posted by stitchop
They run the Camaros in the IROC series for several years, so there may be a few of them left around in the back of some racing shops. If this is the case, you might be able to get one of the real cars.
I have thought of that, but I think it would be a miracle to find one. Even if I did I think the price would be outrageous. They raced Camaros in IROC from 1984-1989 using 12 cars. I don't think the replaced the cars every year. I'm going to ask the owner of the company I work for I'm sure he'll know.

Originally posted by ajmclean
great idea
but beware u cant use a standard T5 on 400 hp engine
it will break,
Sure you can! You just have to not care if it breaks. Seriously though, if I'm not launching it at the track or running it hard on the road course I would feel confident using it for street driving. If it breaks, it breaks.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM

Hey skirocz28 or anyone else...
What tranny was put into the IROC race cars - were they T5's or richmond or... Not sure what you meant by race built.

And on another note - the max displacment was 305cid, but was this limit the same sort of thing the R7U car's had to follow - or were aftermarket heads, rods, cam used in the mix.
Sorry if these are dumb questions I'm curious tho...
-Andrew
Old 02-27-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by kaptinkafeen
Hey skirocz28 or anyone else...
What tranny was put into the IROC race cars - were they T5's or richmond or... Not sure what you meant by race built.

And on another note - the max displacment was 305cid, but was this limit the same sort of thing the R7U car's had to follow - or were aftermarket heads, rods, cam used in the mix.
Sorry if these are dumb questions I'm curious tho...
-Andrew
Doug Nash T10X 4-speed
Old 02-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by stitchop
Ok, got a little more information from one of the owners of Katech. We only built 25 engines so there are around that many cars in existance. That includes the test mules.

We dug up a great video tour of Katech circa 1984. I'm going to finish watching it later. It had an IROC race on the tape. I also got my first decal for the car today. This is an ORIGINAL air cleaner lid decal.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
All I have to say is that this is quite possibly the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:28 AM

with
Old 03-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Red1992V6Rs
All I have to say is that this is quite possibly the best thing since sliced bread.
It's nice to see positive feedback for a change. Other forums are nothing but flamers it seems. Not on this topic, I'm talking in general.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:07 AM

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
It's nice to see positive feedback for a change. Other forums are nothing but flamers it seems. Not on this topic, I'm talking in general.
Wow, I don't get that at all. With the 1,000,000+ thirdgens out there, they are flaming you? I wouldn't consider you tearing up the car. Your trying to replicate a racecar that gave Iroc's their name. I would have never thought about making a replica Iroc car, and to see someone do it, its awesome. It's going to take a lot of time and effort, and I have to support you. It's not like anyone else has tried it. Good luck with it, and if you need any opinions or what not, shout me a PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Red1992V6Rs
Wow, I don't get that at all. With the 1,000,000+ thirdgens out there, they are flaming you? I wouldn't consider you tearing up the car. Your trying to replicate a racecar that gave Iroc's their name. I would have never thought about making a replica Iroc car, and to see someone do it, its awesome. It's going to take a lot of time and effort, and I have to support you. It's not like anyone else has tried it. Good luck with it, and if you need any opinions or what not, shout me a PM.
Nobody flamed this idea on other boards. I'm talking about other topics.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by skirocz28
That is the biggest reason there is no general discussion or threads for other topics on this board. People come here to discuss third gens, and if this board is not kept third gen only, it would get cluttered with general discussions and flame wars to the point that third gen info and topics would be hard to find.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by skirocz28
That is the biggest reason there is no general discussion or threads for other topics on this board. People come here to discuss third gens, and if this board is not kept third gen only, it would get cluttered with general discussions and flame wars to the point that third gen info and topics would be hard to find.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
It's a great idea, but you don't have to use an Iroc if you don't want to; any 3rd gen Camaro will work, as the Iroc racing cars were just tube frames!

EDIT: lol never mind, you know that already!

It's a neat idea, I like it! Do it really nice and show it off! Maybe you'll get some media coverage or something!

Also, I don't know if the laws are different in each state for mirrors, but in MA all you need is ONE rear mirror, so the interior one works.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by aaron7
It's a great idea, but you don't have to use an Iroc if you don't want to; any 3rd gen Camaro will work, as the Iroc racing cars were just tube frames!

EDIT: lol never mind, you know that already!

It's a neat idea, I like it! Do it really nice and show it off! Maybe you'll get some media coverage or something!

Also, I don't know if the laws are different in each state for mirrors, but in MA all you need is ONE rear mirror, so the interior one works.
Yeah, I could look for an 1985-1992 Z28.

In Michigan the minimum is a left side mirror. You dont have to have the inside mirror because cube trucks dont.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
You might double check the law, I believe MI requires 2 mirrors minimum. New cars I think may be required to have at least the outside mirrors on both sides. Older cars in the 60s were required to have one on the LH side.

John