History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Special Order Cars....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 02:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Special Order Cars....

Since my car was special order I have a few specific questions about this.

First, the window sticker was put in the window by the plant not the dealership right?

Second, I still have the cards in the owners manual case that say "Dealer, please remove and insert your own cards here" so I assume that the dealership did nothing to this car when they got it but call and tell the owner to come pick it up right? So this would mean that my car never would have had the original dealer license plate borders on it then right?

Also, I know my car was ordered from and sold by Wood Pontiac Cadillac in Santa Rosa CA so would I be able to go to them and obtain the original order form?

Last, would there be anything else that would be specific to a special order car that I'm missing?

------------------
www.TransAmGTA.com THE 3rdgen Firebird Site!
1992 GTA (226 made), 1 of only 18 "Dk. Jade Met." 92 GTA's, My Window Sticker, LB9, 700R4 4-Speed, T-Tops, Grey Leather, every available option except G92, J65 and U1A.
Current Mods/Upgrades: 80 Series Dual Outlet Flowmaster, TPIS Air Foil, K&N Air Filter, and Mobil 1.
Future Mods/Upgrades: None but a complete restoration.
Best Track Time: 14.6sec@96.6mph

"If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!"
Webmaster www.TransAmGTA.com
My 3rdGen Firebird Message Board!

[This message has been edited by 92GTA (edited May 23, 2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '88 Bright Red GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">First, the window sticker was put in the window by the plant not the dealership right?</font>
Yes, the window sticker was originally applied by the factory, but many dealers sometimes removed it when they got the car..... and not always too carefully. When I bought my red '88 GTA new, the remnants of the tattered sticker were laying on the LH back seat. That goodness for Automotive Services/Pontiac Historic Services!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Second, I still have the cards in the owners manual case that say "Dealer, please remove and insert your own cards here" so I assume that the dealership did nothing to this car when they got it but call and tell the owner to come pick it up right? </font>
Not necessarily..... Most likely, the dealership simply missed those cards while the car was being prepped for delivery. Check your RPO to see if the car came with the Y11 VIP Plus option. Only 19 '92 GTAs had this option..... It consisted of a packet that featured all the factory and dealer prep sheets for the car, along with extra little tidbits such as an extra set of keys for the car. My '88 had this option when I got it. An interesting sidebar.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So this would mean that my car never would have had the original dealer license plate borders on it then right?</font>
Again, not necessarily. That stuff is all added by the dealer after the car arrives. I'd estimate that most likely a car that expensive and "flashy" would have had some kind of noticable dealer identification installed before it left the lot. The dealer stickers are often used but are not as noticable as the license plate holders. I made my dealer remove the sticker before I would leave the lot..... although they may have had the last word anyway, because at night when you see the rear of the car under high beam lights..... the decal's outline is still clearly visible.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, I know my car was ordered from and sold by Wood Pontiac Cadillac in Santa Rosa CA so would I be able to go to them and obtain the original order form?</font>
A long shot, but worth checking on. Unless they store info on microfiche, I doubt they's still have it after all these years (and they may not even save order forms anyway)..... but by all means find out. That would be an excellent addition to your car's documentation portfolio.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Last, would there be anything else that would be specific to a special order car that I'm missing?</font>
No, that's about it. There really wasn't any set pattern that was followed in those years for cars that were customer ordered instead of those ordered by dealers for stock. So long as you've got the factory literature and such to go with some of these other mentioned items, you've pretty much got it all. One small detail that I like to see to is obtaining an original dealership owner's manual folio for each car that I have. If the dealership is still in business, it makes a nice addition to the car for display..... especially in conjunction with the window sticker, which lists the selling dealer on it.

It just adds to the authentication a bit, I think.....

------------------
Frankie Rider, 2
The GTA Source Page
-----------------------
'88 GTA Red Hatchback - 5.7L/A4
'88 GTA Black Notchback - 5.7L/A4
'88 GTA Gunmetal Hatchback - 5.0L/A4

[This message has been edited by FrankieRider2 (edited May 23, 2001).]