History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

quick fix for convertible top tears

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001 | 11:32 PM

quick fix for convertible top tears

I believe it was in this forum that I got this tip. It helped so I am restating it for others who may need it.

My 92 Firebird convertible still has (I believe) the original top. It has seen better days, but it's quite functional. I will replace it someday but since it's still in decent working order it is not my top priority. The car still looks best when the top's down anyway.

The top has a few small (no bigger than 1") tears and a couple of abrasions that have gone through the outer layer. I want to keep the water out. I used a product called GOOP, I bought it at a fabric store. There are several types, I don't know how they differ but I used the one for crafts that specifically includes "canvas" on the list of materials to which it will adhere.

It comes out of the tube in a clear, gel-like texture. I then used a 2" spackling knife (any flat blade spreader would do) to force the GOOP down into the tear and also to remove excess GOOP from around the area. I let it dry overnight, and it seems to have adhered very well. It feels like it dried sort of rubbery, almost like silicone caulk, and it seems like it will do a good job keeping water out in the rain while not popping out when I fold the top down.

One caveat - my top is tan and when the GOOP dried the GOOP itself, while clear, dries darker. It looks like a wet spot. So if your roof is immaculate other than the tear you would want to consider this and at least put it on more meticulously than I did. In my case the top doesn't look so spiffy any, so I'd rather have a couple of small spots visible and be dry than have a couple of small tears and risk being wet.

Hope this helps someone.

Dan Kagan
1992 Firebird convertible
1967 Firebird convertible
Old 04-21-2001 | 11:23 AM

I think I was he one that suggested fabric glue. Glad it worked for you. I hate to here it is darker, but hey, its better than a leak isn't it.

Jeremy

------------------
WE WILL MISS YOU #3
92 Z conv
5-spd B&M shifter
home-made ram air, air foil, headers, no cat, TB bypass, kevlar pads, slotted rotors, BMR panhard, alston SFC, 3.42's, Edelbrock STB, 350 in the works
Old 04-21-2001 | 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
how would it look on a black top?
Old 04-22-2001 | 01:22 AM

i just did this on my black top today actually. i have a few small tears in it too so i had my mom sow them up for me. thank god for mom, and use aquarium seal. it's clear and also came out kinda rubbery. i just put some on my finger and ran it along the seams. right now it's kinda shiny on my black top, so i'm hoping as time goes on that it'll get dirty or the weather will cause the shine to go away some. but hey, like said before, better than your interior getting soaked.
Old 04-23-2001 | 06:46 PM

I have had mine glued for 3 yrs. You can see it if you look for it, but the clear glue is still holding. Take in mind that mine is just a little over a quarter on in inch long also (I am talking about the tear)

Jeremy

------------------
WE WILL MISS YOU #3
92 Z conv
5-spd B&M shifter
home-made ram air, air foil, headers, no cat, TB bypass, kevlar pads, slotted rotors, BMR panhard, alston SFC, 3.42's, Edelbrock STB, 350 in the works