History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Preparing Car for long trips.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparing Car for long trips.

Ok I have a 1991 Camaro RS and it has about 75k miles on its original engine and original transmission. I have a limited amount of funds, probably about $2k so. I just got accepted in UT Austin and will be making regular trips back and forth to and from Austin to Dallas ( About a 5 hour drive one way). In what way(s) would be best to prepare my car for these long road trips to ensure that I will be able to make the trip without any problems? I need a new set up tires and I need to know how or what I need to do mechanically. Any suggestions, tips, ideas???? I'm not very mechanically inclined but I do have somebody that would be able to work on my car. Please Help.....

------------------
--------------------
'91 Camaro Really Slow, err RS
-305 V8
-Mostly All Stock
-Gabriel Hijackers Airshocks
Old 04-10-2001, 03:02 PM

Really all you need to do is fill up on windsheild washer fluid. Make sure your oil isn't low or dirty.. or that you go over the 3000 mile change interval anywhere in the damn near 400 miles from Dallas to Austin. Also, some of the roads(depending how you'd be driving.) really suck, so you want to make sure your differential oil stays clean. Really just check your fluids, make sure nothing is leaking. That is all I plan to do, and I'm doing basically the same thing as you. Only I'm going to UT Arlington, and I live in Katy(west houston.). it's about 300 miles from my house to the dorm. Congrats on getting in to UT Austin(i'm going to Arlington by choice, not to transfer to Austin.. EVERYONE asks me that.)

Anthony

P.S As I'm quite mechanically inclined.. if you need help while you're in Irving, e-mail me.. if I'm in Arlington I'll give you a hand.. I know some people I that could show you where to go and where not to go in Austin too.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:14 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragin'87:
Really all you need to do is fill up on windsheild washer fluid. Make sure your oil isn't low or dirty.. or that you go over the 3000 mile change interval anywhere in the damn near 400 miles from Dallas to Austin. Also, some of the roads(depending how you'd be driving.) really suck, so you want to make sure your differential oil stays clean. Really just check your fluids, make sure nothing is leaking. That is all I plan to do, and I'm doing basically the same thing as you. Only I'm going to UT Arlington, and I live in Katy(west houston.). it's about 300 miles from my house to the dorm. Congrats on getting in to UT Austin(i'm going to Arlington by choice, not to transfer to Austin.. EVERYONE asks me that.)

Anthony

P.S As I'm quite mechanically inclined.. if you need help while you're in Irving, e-mail me.. if I'm in Arlington I'll give you a hand.. I know some people I that could show you where to go and where not to go in Austin too.
</font>
Cool. Thanks for the input!

------------------
--------------------
'91 Camaro Really Slow, err RS
-305 V8
-Mostly All Stock
-Gabriel Hijackers Airshocks
Old 04-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The main thing to be concerned with is all the running gear. Get synthetic differential grease, repack the wheel bearings, new tires, make sure everything runs smooth and round and balanced; you're going to be sitting still in it for hours at a time, so good shocks will help you not get so fatigued; and of course... a good CD player and collection of tunes. As far as the engine, nothing special; clean oil and properly working cooling and charging systems.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 04-10-2001, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your'e getting new tires, go ahead and get a front end alignment too. I know it's common sense, but many people don't do it. It'll save you in the long run. (I should be practicing what I preach, but I just haven't had the funds for the alignment yet).

------------------
Smile, you're in my rearview I'm joking, I have a v6.
Respect My Authoritaw {Cartman Voice}
See pics @ Billy's Firebird
92 Bird 3.1L Auto--Best $750 I ever spent....DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Kills:93 Mustang LX (Before Mods),98 or 99 Dodge Stratus (tough one, edged out at 40),92 Camaro RS 305 TBI-Not too fair, his fuel pump went out 2 days later. Nice car, but not running right. 97+ Honda somethin or another...modded....kept at my door the entire way
Close Calls-94 Grand Am 3.1 V6, 92 Cavalier 3.1 V6
01 Porsche 911 Turbo (Had em till first gear)
Mods-Jet Stage 2 Performance Chip, Accel Cap/Rotor, Accel 8.8 MM Wires, Accell Coil, AC Delco Rapidfire Plugs, Dynomax Catback, K&N
AIM name OVRCLCK350
Best LOUSY Run...17.263 @ 77.79MPH
In a Dog Eat Dog world, I STILL go after tha cat.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:42 PM

Any suggestions for what brands/type of tire I should be using for the long hauls? My camaro is very squirly(sp?) on wet roads for reasons I do not know. I was thinking Eagle GA's. I'm not going to be racing so I just need tires with good traction on wet and dry roads that won't cost me too much.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
ANYTHING BUT Goodyears!!!

I take it this car has 15" wheels... there's lots of decent tires that will work well for not too much $$$; Michelin would be a great place to look. The stock size is 215/65, 225/60 will work, 235/60 is a better substitute. Don't buy the cheapest thing that fits, you'll regret it for the next 30,000 miles. You don't have to buy the most expensive either, but resist the temptation to go with the low bid.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 04-10-2001, 09:44 PM

Check the stering parts. If you get the allinment, ask the mech. to check for weak tie rod ends and stuff like that. Or get the person who can work on your car to check them out. I say this because I dont think you want to loos all stering while driveing down the hiway. Also check the brakes, I know how fast the brakes go on these cars. Other than that, just what everyone else said. If you have stick, you may also want to check the parking brake, Who knows, maby you will be parking on a hill all the time.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '84 Z28
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Keep that oil changed and use an AC Delco PF1218 oil filter. The 305 TBI is not a performance engine but a very reliable one. Good luck on your road trips.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:19 AM
Banned

bring some spare tools with you also (dont know how valuable it really is!). Maybe a jug of coolant too. I used to carry around a spare serpentine belt with me.
Old 04-11-2001, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
Check the grease in your front wheel bearings. Check your serpentine belt.
Just make sure your fluids are clean
and topped off. Have the front end
aligned and wheels balanced to promote
good tire life. Good tune up and you'll
be fine.
I believe your only failure points would
be a busted radiator/hose, failed water
pump. Check your fuel filter also.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Edelbrock Hi-Flow Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake
1 5/8" Headers
Semi-Siamesed Runners
MSD6AL/relocated MAT/ AdjFPR/IROC frnt@rear swaybar/wonderbar/steeringbox/alum drvshaft/ Alston SFC/3:23posi disc rear/MAC LCA/H.Adams Panhard Rod/KYB struts/ shocks/
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 04-14-2001, 02:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
hehe, if you race remember to put your tire and jack back in.