History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

What's the latest on the F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: treefitty
Transmission: stick
Yeah, what's so legendary about the quad 4? A friend of mine had a Grand Am w/a quad 4 w/a stick, back in the early 90s.I remember he made it peel out.wow.
Old 04-06-2001, 01:38 AM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: treefitty
Transmission: stick
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PONTIMANIAC 90:
Yeah, what's so legendary about the quad 4? A friend of mine had a Grand Am w/a quad 4 w/a stick, back in the early 90s.I remember he made it peel out.wow.</font>
He told me that the quad4 was actually faster than the V-6 that was offered in Grand Ams. I told him;"You should've had a V8"

Old 04-06-2001, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 Chevy Avalanche
Engine: Some that run, some that don't
Transmission: 700R4's, a T-5, and a Turbo 350
Had to make that 2nd gen pitch didn't ya TINFY?
Old 04-07-2001, 12:09 AM

MOST thirdgen's will toast a fourth gen camaro in handling, stock. Someone mentioned that they had a late 90's Fourthgen and it outhandled an early 90's thirdgen, because there was a decade difference in technology???? What technlogy? The fourthgen front suspension setup pale's in comparison to the thirdgen's setup, and the rearend is almost identical. They both run simiar way bars. The fourthgen is heavier, and the ONLY technology difference is tires. I slapped on Dunlop SP9000's on my car (87 IROC, no current suspension mods) and could smoke my friends 30th anniversary Z-28 in the corners before he wrapped it around a tree.

Fourthgens= faster acceleration, better braking

Thirdgens= Handling
Old 04-07-2001, 07:15 AM

Thirdgens= MUCH better looks (HEHE)
Old 04-08-2001, 01:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone who wonders why there are so many weird people who seem obsessed with thirdgens here should check the url they typed in.

Thirdgen looks the best by far.... they look like a damned stock car! Fourth gen camaros are completely gross... the only decent looking one is the RS (it is the only one with GFX) but it's a damn V6. I will admit that the Firehawk kicks *** .... but I would still rather have my thirdgen. Second gens make me vomit unless they are early 70's.... and firstgens are just bad-*** .

I don't understand GM at all... It's like they have no concept of what people really want. Or maybe they do know what people want and for some reason try and go for the farthest thing from it. I am hardcore domestic fan, but I can tell you that ferarri made exactly zero smogger pistons... people either want a performance car or not.. they dont want a cripled version that resembles a cool car. GM is taking all of their vintage cool car names and assigning them to FWD old man cars. The new impalas make me hurl.... the new monte ss is a f*cking joke.. and the new malibu, forget about it. If they do this to the fbody, sign me up for the dark side.... I will be forced to turn in my bowtie

I think we as a collective should all chip in for a mint thirdgen, seal it up in a bag, and burry it for future generations to enjoy. In 10 years the emissions laws will be so tough that the V-8 will be in history books. Just be glad that we got to enjoy the last of these great cars....
Old 04-08-2001, 02:54 AM

Man I hope the sarcasm is flowing here cause it sounds like somebody missed the point on the Olds reference. Oldsmobile is gone in 2004 (hence the joke) like our F-Bodies after 2002 and the Quad 4 that I had in my '90 Grand Am meant four cylinder. Like I said I hope this is all sarcasm cause a couple of you are scaring me...
Old 04-08-2001, 03:37 AM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimbo:
..... Every show I've attended with my 3rd gen including two Gatherings in Atlanta have only exhibited the utmost camaraderie between all generations. I am sure that there are some jerkweed 4th gen owners out there, just like there are jerkweed 3rd gen, Vette, and Mustang owners, ......]</font>

I have to add my bit on this. Most of (not all) those guys that do attend the Atlanta Gathering are members of the GaFBA, and they will and HAVE turned their noses up to 2nd & 3rd gen owners. It's disgusting and they do act like Mustang owners from years past. I have seen it at some monthly meetings at YearOne, events going on in the local areas, and on the mailing list. To them, if you don't drive a 4th gen, you are not worth talking too. So yes there are jerkweed owners, just a lot more than you think there is.

Old 04-08-2001, 10:20 PM
Banned

I am sorry but I have to agree with LFN AT U.
I think that new (93 up) camaros took a drastic turn for the ugliness. The camaro desperately needs to loose 3 feet in length at a minimum and get back to its roots for the body style.
The camaro 82-92 does not look that bad but it still needs to loose some high wieght length. I would love to redo the body of mine and loose about 4 feet overal.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:28 PM

ok i have to stick up for the GA fbody members b/c i am friends with four of them and they saw my car for the first time over the weekend and loved it. its a 79TA the body is excelent and the interior is good the performance is well lacking. i can run in the corners with them but i would be happy with any 14sec timeslip. yes i do realize a few bad apples ruin the whole damn bunch. and yes many fourth gen guys are a$$es but if they treat you like carp thats just all the more motivation for you to embarass them anyway you can preferrably making your car beat theirs. and besides there are what two maybe three forth gens that arent run of the mill see every damn day cars so what makes theirs so special nothing. except for the fact that they like their car and arent afriad to be proud of it and its getting to you and that just makes them feel better. basically they think you are jealous and want what they have. which isnt always true. sorry camaro owners i wouldnt trade my TA for any third or fourth gen camaro now you TA owners are a different story but hey i am a pontiac man what can i say. everyone just let them have there cars their attitude and their high car payments you go have fun in something you love and dont care so much about what the other guy thinks.

and yes LFN AT U i did have to add that second gen bit.TINFY
Old 04-08-2001, 10:56 PM
Banned

well after reading some more of these posts I had to add a few more cents to this...

First off the quad 4 was an incrediable engine for the small platform cars. You could swap it into a fiero and it would propell that car with blazing speed.

Though I have no love loss for the 4/5th gen(as previously posted) they have good drive trains but just are in my opinion butt ugly. Yes they can perform woo hoo, so they are good for "off the shelf" 13-13.7 1/4's time slips, but hey look at the 68-70 camaros...they did that and better and they looked a hellovalot better.
The "original" cams looked like a race car. They looked like they ate pavement for breakfast lunch and dinner and ignored the police. Have you ever wondered why over the last 6-7 years the F-Body sales have dropped off so much(hence the reason for the axe) look at the performance market.
The Rustangs cost a little less money and they perform at the same level. The Rustang has stayed at about the same size but has improved the package. I am sorry to say that the people at ford have just put more thought into the Rustang.
Then you look at the import sceen, pretty much the same thing there. The imports with the mild-mid turbos can take out camaros and Rustangs the same with ease. I have seen eclipes' with T4 turbos run 11's..with a 4 banger. Now imagine if the american car makers did the same research?...not to mention the production of such cars.
I am not saying that every camaro should fear the Mighty 4 banger(lol) I am just saying that by taking both technologies and find a way to make them work you would have an amazing vehicle. I have seen the 2.8,3.1 and yes the 4.3 built up to turbo status and they were beasts to be mild.
Try a street driven 4.3 with 2(yes 2) garret T5s' running consistant 9.78@150-165. Not bad for a 6er huh?. Not yes I know what you all are gong to say, Well if they did that to an 8 it would do the same ting, yes it would, but who will?...The 8ers have the roots style blowers and stuff.
What is little known in the 8er world but well known in the smaller displacement world is that the roots style blowers take away far more power then they could create with other means. Do you know that a belt driven supercharger can take as much as 50 percent(thats half) of the total engines power to make that power?...I know that thats why I stay away from them for a high horse app.
The turbo world knows that turbos are more reliable than surperchargers can make more power with 40 percent less power loss. Turbos take 5-10 percent of an engines power to make power, and not to mention far more streetable with a ****pit boost control. By controlling the boost from the **** pit you can get close to stock milage in the non race situations. And when you get to the racing situation you pump up the boost and watch the ponies fly!.
This has been long enough so I will surrender the soap box.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula Firehawk (Clone)
Engine: 350 with Firehawk Package
Transmission: 700R4
...an example of 3rd and 4th gen owners living in harmony and enjoying their hobby and mutual interests...

http://www.f-body.com/forum.cgi?MESSAGE=247593-1-1

------------------
jimbo

Mosquito Coast F-Body Association (MCFBA)

1991 Formula SLP350
1999 Trans Am Firehawk

[This message has been edited by jimbo (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 09:02 AM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TINFY Racing:
ok i have to stick up for the GA fbody members b/c i am friends with four of them and they saw my car for the first time over the weekend and loved it. its a 79TA the body is excelent and the interior is good the performance is well lacking. i can run in the corners with them but i would be happy with any 14sec timeslip. yes i do realize a few bad apples ruin the whole damn bunch. and yes many fourth gen guys are a$$es but if they treat you like carp thats just all the more motivation for you to embarass them anyway you can preferrably making your car beat theirs. and besides there are what two maybe three forth gens that arent run of the mill see every damn day cars so what makes theirs so special nothing. except for the fact that they like their car and arent afriad to be proud of it and its getting to you and that just makes them feel better. basically they think you are jealous and want what they have. which isnt always true. sorry camaro owners i wouldnt trade my TA for any third or fourth gen camaro now you TA owners are a different story but hey i am a pontiac man what can i say. everyone just let them have there cars their attitude and their high car payments you go have fun in something you love and dont care so much about what the other guy thinks.

and yes LFN AT U i did have to add that second gen bit.TINFY
</font>
Why does this have a familiar sound??

Friends with 4 of them? That's kind of sad in way when there is about 200 list members, but then again I understand that IMO out of 200 members 95% of them are jerks. Which is why I am friends with about the same number of members, if that. I could be wrong about them now, but some how I doubt it, they (4th gen owners) are in a class all by themselves. That's fine I have no problem with that and I will be b i t c h slapping some 4th gen a s s down the track sometime this summer, but I have a real problem when the president of a car club has this idea that he is some sort of authoritive figure and thinks other members will listen and respect him for his position and type of car he drives. I'm sorry but my respect for others has nothing to do with what kind of car they drive, and if anyone has respect for another partly because of what type of car he drives has his/her head up his/her *** .

I've said what I wanted to say, if you want to continue you this, you have my email.
Old 04-09-2001, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Hey, finally a few people sticking up for me. Where have you guys been?
Old 04-09-2001, 10:13 PM

Frobozz i just met these others guys a couple of days ago the one i knew from work but i agree that the president sounds like his head is up his butt. its like i said just forget about them realize that they wouldnt make good friends then go embarass them like they own a mustang or something. if you let it get to you then they win. so f*ck em if the want to be a$$es.TINFY
Old 04-09-2001, 10:32 PM
Banned

Hey laffin I'm at carbondale(or a little north) where you at?...Sorry I just moved to ilinois about a year ago...originally from Va/Fla
Old 04-10-2001, 07:14 AM
Supreme Member

I'm in Crete, which is about 30 to 40 minutes south of Chicago.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
This thread has started off topic and gone even further off topic. Closed.