History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

'84 Camaro - worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'84 Camaro - worth buying?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the ThirdGen community, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with the same old newbie questions.

My uncle passed away in 1998 and left his '84 Camaro behind. I'm sure he would have taken it with him if he could! He was the original owner. My 20 year-old cousin inherited it...but he is not a car enthusiast and would rather drive his old beat-up S10 pick up. Whatever!

A couple of years before he passed on, he had the 305 engine rebuilt by GM. This is a white Camaro but has these funky orange and blue Olympic stickers with stripes running all along the lower portion of the car. The original window sticker shows that the Olympic series was an option that year...but I'm thinking maybe it was a dealer add-on. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of buying this car. The body has 208,000 miles but it's in excellent condition...no dents, dings, etc. The paint is original and the car was never involved in an accident. Not a spot of rust ANYWHERE! The rebuilt 305 has about 8,000 miles on it. The auto tranny may need some work because I noticed it just barely slipped one time when accelerating from a stop. The interior was professionally reupholstered (seats, carpet, headliner, etc.) at the time the engine was rebuilt and they did a fantastic job. The car runs well but is not driven often since my cousin cares very little about it. It's just a base Camaro...no power options. The A/C isn't currently working and the radio is missing. My cousin replaced the brakes, shocks, alternator and battery, belts, hoses, and fluids recently. He wants $1700 for it. Good deal? I would like to restore the car (needs some minor work ie. A/C) and use it for a weekend cruiser. Nothing fancy...I don't want to make a racer out of it or anything. I'd just like to restore it to it's old self. Would this be more trouble and money than it's worth? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Phillip

[This message has been edited by Phillip (edited March 07, 2001).]

Old 03-07-2001, 11:19 AM

I have also found an '84 Camaro for sale. I was with my dad lookin for some cars to play with when I found a guy that he knows that has a '84 Z28 Camaro, it is brown with t-tops, auto, 305 HO, dual snorkle air cleaner, all original engine, good interior, 85 mph speedo, A/C, also he said that it has 3.73 posi rear gears, and get this...no power windows or locks! I have never seen a Z28 with no power options. So ho rare is this car, I am a Firebird man but this sounds like a good deal...he only wants $425 for it because that's all he has in it because he works at a used car dealer. So, help me Camaro guys, how rare is mine too? Thanks!

------------------
Chris "$teve" Williams
1984 Firebird "Stroker GT
2 1978 WS6 Trans AMs (one of which is a "T/A 6.6" 220 hp.)
http://www.geocities.com/butterscotch_kandy

[This message has been edited by DaBandit (edited March 07, 2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
That number sounds a tad high, but if the interior is fresh and mint, it is probably worth that much. the engine should still be pretty fresh and live for a while. The tranny seems dubious as you said, but if worst comes to worse you can always swap in a used tranny to get you by.
If you like the car, and it's in as nice shape as you say, go for it. Only do so if you plan to enjoy this car, finding someone who can appreciate a near mint camaro with those miles will be tough.
...ed
Old 03-07-2001, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
If yo dont plan on racing it and you just want to have a mint 84 camaro go for it. I doubt it will ever be worth any cash, but who knows. Maybe you'll run across a guy looking to buy a mint Olymipic edition camaro. If you want to do it, go for it. $1,700 isnt breaking the bank either so its a pretty safe investment.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
$1700 for a car in that shape and with a rebuilt engine is not a bad deal in my opinion. You could do a lot worse, plus the car has sentimental value and you knew the owner. I'd say the Olympic pkg was probably a dealer add on. Where were the Olympics held in 84? I bet the car originated at a dealer in that area. (Of course I could be wrong) My advice, buy it and enjoy!

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Edelbrock Hi-Flow Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake
1 5/8" Headers
Semi-Siamesed Runners
MSD6AL/relocated MAT/ AdjFPR/IROC frnt@rear swaybar/wonderbar/steeringbox/alum drvshaft/ Alston SFC/3:23posi disc rear/MAC LCA/H.Adams Panhard Rod/KYB struts/ shocks/
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 03-07-2001, 08:18 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Sorry Rob but the "Special Olympics Package" was a GM option (RPO 1A3). It was available only on the Sport Coupe in white and consisted of lower body striping in blue and orange, a beltline pin striping in the same colors and an Olympic decal on the sail panel. Only 3,722 were produced. To put this number into perspective, 100899 Sport Coupes were made in 1984, which makes it a rather rare option.

The 1984 Olympics were held in Los Angeles.

------------------
Willie

Supercharged 1987 305 IROC-Z, Daily-Driver, Emissions-Legal.
Paxton (6-psig): 12.57 @ 111 mph.
Paxton (6-psig) & 50-hp nitrous: 12.04 @ 114 mph.
ATI D1SC (10-psig): ?

http://willie.camaro-firebird.org/

1987 "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" Z28 Convertible -- Super Chevy Show Class Winner, 1998.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:56 PM

Hi
I am guessing that finding a car without a lot of power options isn't all that rare especially in a Chevy. 1LE packages weren't equipped with a lots of toys from what I understand and my car (a 1991 Z28) has the same interior options package (1SB) that the one you are looking at probably does. I could just be a coincedence but I would think that there have to be lots of cars like them. FYI I was told by a reputable man in General Motors that their sales figures showed that people who wanted cars loaded with goodies usually bought the Pontiac line and those who wanted a no-nonsense driving machine (and I mean this in the way that if all you care about is the ride and the motor) usually ending up with a Chevrolet. Look at the Z compared to the Firebirds or the GPs compared to the Impalas and you'll see what he means

Robin
Old 03-07-2001, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2001 Camaro SS
Engine: Almighty LS1
Transmission: T56
I have no A/C, no power windows, no power hatch thang, and last but not least, no power locks... I've got an 83 Z28

I say buy it... $1700 may seem like a lot for something that age... but the interior and engine only have 8k? You can't get any better than that... transmission won't be an entire arm or leg, and the rest seems really minor as well... plus... all the parts the cousin added is a bonus as well... I'm sure your Uncle would be proud of you if you took care of his baby... I know I would be
Old 03-11-2001, 05:06 PM

I would definetly buy it. If it only has 8,000 miles on it, it is a great deal. Plus the olympic package probably makes it a better deal. And, Dabandit, I would definetly pick that car up. 425 for a good camaro is a great deal. And if you don't want it, tell me where it is, and i'll get it!