History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

How much to sell my 1987 IROC for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1997 Mustang Saleen S281
How much to sell my 1987 IROC for?

I hope i have posted this in the corrent area, if not i am sure the mods will move it.

I am trying to sell my car and need a little help. Here are the facts (from memory)

1987 Camaro IROC-Z (100,000 miles, PS, PW, PL, the usual)
• GM Goodwrench Crate 350 Longblock (old intake swapped over)
• New water pump, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor rotor and cap (don’t remember if I bought a brand new distributor or just rotor and cap), upper and lower radiator hoses, motor mounts (polyurethane), fuel filter, U-joints, and that is all I can remember. I replaced a lot of old vacuum lines and electrical wiring that was bad. I honestly tried to do a quality job.
• When I bought the car the AC compressor was removed, it is now installed but i have not had the AC serviced. Heat does work though.
• Professionally rebuilt 700R4 transmission with new torque converter, flex plate, and transmission mount (polyurethane).
• Differential fluid changed
• All fluid was Mobil One (not that that really matters)
• Tires have plenty of tread left on them; front wheel bearings have been repacked.
• Interior is in good condition, some of the driver side electric seat controls don’t work because the struts inside are bad. I put in some switches I originally had plans for, but never hooked them up, so they are not functional. I also installed a new headliner.
• The original Bose system was completely shot. Replaced it with all Pioneer Premier equipment (6x9s in the rear, 6” components up front by feet, and CD player with removable face). Quality 12ga wire was used.
• Body lines are pretty straight with few dents and minor (dime sized) surface rust in a few spots, but Chevy’s infamous 80’s paint job is peeling.

Right now the car is sitting with a for sale sign in it for $3,500, i honestly think it is worht it. But because the paint is peeling on the roof it is making it look like a beater, people are making me offers for $1000.

Should i take the car to Maaco and have them slap a couple hunderd dollar paint job on it? Any help here is appreciated. And the car is currently located in Dover, DE.

-Mike (pictures are in next post)
Old 04-27-2004, 04:05 AM

Old 04-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks very clean for it's age and miles. Things I notice that might be lowering the percieved value:
Interior:
1. There are no grills on the kickpanel speakers. It looks unfinished and is definitly unprotected. Get some grills
2. You need to replace the pass side door lock. If one thing is broken and not fixed who knows what else is.
3. Your upper door trim is cracked, replace it.

Exterior:
The lower spoiler isn't the same color white as the car. The bumper cover doesn't match anything at all and as you said the paint on the roof is gone/peeling and there are some rock chips all over. These things would make me want to get hte car painted. I wouldn't do a Macco special on it thought. That would decrease the value for me. Find a bodyshop that does quality work. It shouldn't cost you more than $800 since there is no body work to be done. See if one of the painters will do it on the side.
Engine/Suspension:
I just bought my GTA and I can tell you what buyers hear when they test drive. Make sure there are no loud squeeks, rattles, or thunks when driving. Small squeeks are normal but nothing too loud. The engine should idle fairly smoothly. If it doesn't you need to do some tuning. I walked away from a IROC because it idled like crap. Make sure your fluid levels are full. Especially your transmission fluid. If the transmission thunks into gear that is not a good thing(the IROC I had did this, probably because of the idle). If your car is burning something find out what it is and where it is coming from and FIX it. The IROC had a leaky oil cap that was spilling onto the headers. I am not going to buy a car that leaks and burns to the point you can smell it on a test drive. If something like an oil cap leaks and you havne't fixed it, it shows you don't care.

Now to answer the question you asked

I would say in its current state it is worth around $2500. I paid $2695 for my GTA which is slightly more desireable than an IROC. I only things I needed to do were replace the seats because there was a tear and fix that door lock problem that your car has. My body is rust free and only has some hail damage to the roof. Gloss black paint in good shape. If you waint long enough you might find someone to pay $3000 for it...maybe.

If you repainted the car and didn't do anything else you should be able to get around $3000 to $3500 for the car easily.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:07 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for your comment, although a little disheartening, it was very helpful.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be disheartening, just my take on it. There are a lot of peopke who would buy it. The IROC I was talking about sold for $3000. I wouldn't have touched it for $2000. The car is worth what someone will pay. I wouldn't pay that much but someone might.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:18 AM

Ohh now, i really appreciate you being honest. I really just want to sell it so i can buy a used SUV to handle inclimate weather (rainy and snowy weather) up in PA. It is impossible for me to drive my mustang in the snow and need another vehicle.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Supreme Member

I know that feeling about needing a car for the winter. I had a 89 GMC Jimmy for this past winter. I actually did a partial trade with it for the GTA so I am going to be looking again after summer is over. Just find a $500 beater and drive that for the winter. Keep the camaro!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:50 PM

I'd say you are underselling your car man. I mean, for what's in it, I'd say you could get $3000 as it sits. Stiers did have some good points, but I think it is worth more than $2500. I disagree with the comment about GTA's being more desirable than IROC's though. JMHO!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:34 AM

Car: '88 Sport Coupe Convertible in Yellow Gold
Engine: '70 LT1, AFR 190s
Transmission: T5
If we all built what everyone else said we should build, we would all have everyone else's car, and nothing of our own.

Love that line!
Old 05-02-2004, 01:36 PM

Old 05-20-2004, 08:01 PM

Car: 1990 firebird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 700R4
id give u 2500 for it , looks like its in good condition, other then lil defects in the interior, who cares!, looks like u take care of your cars.. how bout a trade , a nice 6cylinder for the winter