History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Factory Tinted Windows A01

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Tinted Windows A01

I have RPO code A01 which is window tint. I just got a ticket for tinted windows and its factory according to the codes. Whats goin on. What kind of tint did the A01 code give u. Which windows were tinted. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
i think they had UV tint....which is that little strip of blue across the windshield. They never had black tint like some car s on here have. That would be aftermarket.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at the pictures of your car, the windows appear to be the factory tint.

On your RPO sticker, it lists:

Z49 - EXPORT, CANADIAN MODIFICATION, MANDATORY BASE EQUIPMENT

If your tinted windows were illegal, it never would have been allowed export into Canada.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:09 AM

Yes I do have RPO code Z94. So does that mean that it is legal factory tint.

Were the windows that were tinted from the factory, was it tint thats inside the window or tint placed over the inside of the window such as the film tint u can buy from the aftermarket.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canada is very picky about what is exported into the country. The Z49 means that it was exported to Canada with their designated mandatory base equipment. The tinted window option was not part of that base equipment. If the option was illegal in Canada, it would have been on the restricted build list and the dealer would not have been able to order it.

The factory tint is in the glass, not a film.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I can see why the cops are complaining.. I checked my RPO and I have the A01 also.. and mine is not that dark, it's a "Soft Ray Tint" .. so I highly doubt that was factory

Last edited by FastElectrics; 04-13-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM

Well u can feel a edge on the window tint. But ive talked to other guys that have thirdgens that have the A01 tint and they say they can feel an edge to. It might also look darker because its on a lighter color car.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
....okay guys here is the scoop. AO1 signifies a light green tint in all glass in the car. It is mixed within the glass when its manufactured. It helps keep some of the solar rays from the sun out, thus keeping your interior a bit cooler and thus making life easier on A/C, interior fading, heat build up, ect. This tint is SUBTLE and in no way resticts how you view objects through any of the glass. Craig you have aftermarket film on your sidewindows which is illegal in Alberta as well as here in Sask. You can't tint your side glasses ANY AMOUNT in Alberta. Your liftgate glass you can smoke out black if you wish. the fact your car is Canadiian export has nothing do do with it. The US cars were all built the same. Every passenger vehicle is made this way. If you were to remove the tint from your front windows(which you will have to) open the door place a piece of white paper half covered by your doorglass and half exposed to the open elements. The sublte "green" tint you will see in the white paper is the degree of the "tint" in your window. Check out any newer vehicles. They all have tinted glass. Older vehicles were all at one time made with clear glass and over the years the tint hs been implimented into vehicles as the models become newer. As for "soft -ray" tint, that's a PPG trademark. Other companies that manufacture glass will call it"cool-ray", "solar-ray" or some type of name to indicate the glass has tint in it. Bottom line is the tint you have is aftermarket, , no front door glasses ever came from factory on an f-body that were tinted more than what is in the glass itself.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Speaking of window tint. My car has what appears to be factory tint. The car is originally a Georgia car. It came from Norwood Ohio early in the 1987 Model year. My driver and passenger door windows are tinted. But it looks like the tint is in the glass. Not an outside covering.

I have no RPO codes for my car. So I don't really know if it was factory or not. But it's perfect. So I am happy.

My F-150 has tint like this from the factory.