History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

ATTN: '83 & '84 Bird owners:

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a previous thread, I had stated that only in '82 did the RPO code AQ9 have the sole designation of being for the Recaro seats. '83 and '84, AQ9 was used for the Lear Seigler and the Recaro seats. Well the so-called resident Recaro expert challenged that statement with his typical "Where did you get that? That's wrong info" type response.

He has been under the misinformed impression that the RPO code AQ9 alone, is, and always has been, the sole designation for the '82 -'84 Recaro seats. I had told him my '84 Trans Am clearly has AQ9 on the cowl plate, RPO label, and build sheet, and that I have the Lear Seigler seats, not the Recaro seats. Been that way since I bought it brand new in '83. Though I don't have a scanner, I posted a link to a Build Sheet for a '83 that had AQ9 listed the same as my '84.

http://www.snock.net/~snock/83ta.jpg

By his misinformed thinking, one could put the correct Recaro seats in that car and he would confirm it as being a '83 Recaro Edition Trans Am, simply because it has AQ9 on the cowl plate. It is Black & Gold, has the correct Luxury Doeskin interior, 55P Gold N24 wheels, etc… so IT IS a Recaro. He would be wrong.

Even with that build sheet, it wasn't good enough to correctly inform him about AQ9, with him saying, "I'm more inclined to think that any mention of 83+ Firebird L/S seats being AQ9 is the result of a snowball effect of wrong info handed out within Pontiac, and should've been AR9. Even stamped cowl plates could be wrong. Can anyone rule it out? Didn't think so".

Yea right. Like that is going to happen on cowl plates and build sheets for 2 years and on the '84 RPO labels.

I will tell him now, you CAN'T verify a '83-'84 Recaro Edition by AQ9 alone without the trim combination code (which is Recaro specific) or Y84 as you have others believing. YOU ARE, AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN WRONG, DEAD WRONG ABOUT AQ9!!!

The following are the codes that are ONLY found along with AQ9 on '83 & '84 models with Recaro seats:
'83 Recaro Edition - 643
'83 Daytona 500 Edition - 604
'84 Recaro Edition - 643
'84 15th Anniversary Edition - 604

'83 with Lear Seigler seats will have AQ9 and one of the following
17C - Dark Charcoal (Pallex Cloth)
22C - Dark Royal Blue (Pallex Cloth)
60C - Light Sand Gray (Pallex Cloth)
64C - Medium Doeskin (Pallex Cloth)
67C - Dark Briar Brown (Pallex Cloth)
642 - Medium Doeskin (Sierra Leather)
672 - Dark Briar Brown (Sierra Leather)

'84 with Lear Seigler seats will have AQ9 and one of the following
17C - Dark Charcoal (Pallex Cloth)
22C - Dark Royal Blue (Pallex Cloth)
60C - Light Sand Gray (Pallex Cloth)
64C - Medium Doeskin (Pallex Cloth)
67C - Dark Briar Brown (Pallex Cloth)
642 - Medium Doeskin (Sierra Leather/Pallex Cloth)

So I ask the members of this board that own a '83 or '84 and do not have Recaro seats, to check their cowl tag, build sheet, or RPO label (excluding '83) for AQ9 and one of the above codes, and to respond to help correct this long time misconceived information of his. Still probably won't be enough proof enough him, but thanks anyhow.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am Recaro Edition
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700-R4
That is interesting.Thanks for the information again.I want to see what Kizz is gonna say it's gonna be another long thread i guess.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: GMPP 350 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I looked at my old 83's build plate, here is what it had: AQ9, and 64C. It had L/S seats and a camel tan interior. The car was black and gold.

On a side note: I dont think there was a need to be so direct about calling out another member of the board, if you want to argue with him, please keep it off of the board. You both have valid points and arguments and I dont have a problem with that. But all of the slander gets annoying.
Edit, I didnt mean to sound one sided, Im not, but like i said lets try and stick with information.

But thank you for trying to get to the bottom of AQ9 subject.

Last edited by TAdan; 01-18-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:49 AM

Here's another question.On the other thread somebody said that it was possible to order recaro seats without the whole package between 82-86.Now i know this is true for 85-86 but what about 82-84?Was it possible to order a T/A with recaro seats without the whole package?

For TAdan's side note:You're right but it think he got offended by the way Kizz replied to his post at the first place.I don't know Kizz personally but i'm reading his posts over a year and he's dealing with bunch of misinformed people usually.I'm not saying the way he responded was OK but knowing the situation i don't blame him much.But i don't blame 90TA either.They both know what they're talking about i'm pretty sure that they spent years collecting all the infos that they have and it's normal that this is gonna be a hardcore discussion.Information doesn't come easy and accurate if we're talking about third gens.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: GMPP 350 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Tongi, I agree with you, between 82-84 Recaros were only available in Recaro T/A's, in 85 and 86 , they could be had in normal T/A's (because there was no special Recaro T/A those years)
Old 01-18-2003, 02:21 PM

Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
Maybe when it is not -40C out there i'll take a look....
Old 01-19-2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by 83firebirdS/E
Maybe when it is not -40C out there i'll take a look....
It's gonna be like that for a while i guess.Today my battery died on me because of the cold.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:04 PM

Car: 1982 Recaro T/A
Engine: LU5 CFI 305 V8
Transmission: TH-200C
Axle/Gears: 3.23 F-body Fanatic: Yes
OK apparently this is a post directed at me from 90TA behind my back without even mentioning my name, etc. Can anyone point out when I claimed to be an expert? Because every time I turn around it's like "kizz, you are the expert, why didn't you know this, why did you get such and such wrong?" Did I ever say I was an expert? Jeez, gimme a break. Do a search for username "kizz" and keyword "expert" and you'll see that I never claimed to be an expert. All I ever claimed to be is a huge fan of Recaro T/A's for their uniqueness and extreme rarity in good condition. The people who seek out Recaros for the purpose of keeping them stock and keeping them low milers is a very very small community. I'm certainly part of that group! So let me clear it up for ya: I am a huge fan, but I'm no expert, so don't expect me to be one. You don't even have enough respect to refer to me by name, instead you refer to me by "he" and "him" "so-called expert" and stuff like that? Please, get a life. If you have no respect for me then I gladly echo that sentiment for you. I can guarantee you that I have been wrong about stuff before, because I'm not a cyborg Pontiac database, I'm a human being. So what exactly are you trying to prove here? You already posted that buildsheet before. You haven't posted any new info since the other thread. You just want to stir things up. I'll tell you this: There is more misinformation going around out there about 82-84 than there is factual information. 82-84 is a very very unique and frowned upon era stuck between the old 2nd gen and the new TPI. 82-84 was forgotten almost in real time. By 85 it was already forgotten about. The snowball effect that you so casually dismiss is a very real effect affecting this time period. I'm not inclined to believe anything till I can verify it myself in real life about these years. That's just the way I am. And if it turns out I'm wrong and you're right which is perfectly possible, then this is the FIRST AND ONLY time I know of in GM's history where they have used the SAME RPO code, on the SAME car line, in the SAME model year, to describe two different things. Why would they intentionally do that? It's so illogical that I have no idea why they would do it. In the meantime, get out of your competitive mindframe and get a life. Who exactly are you out to impress? I have nobody to impress here. I call it as I see it. I told you flat out that I have been wrong many times before and I have learned truckloads of info from others more informed than me. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy: Proceed to talk about me behind my back again because I'm not posting on this thread again. As far as I'm concerned you have no credibility and no proof to back up your claims. paperwork is not proof because paperwork has mistakes ALL the time.

Speaking of your myths.. did you ever find me a hardtop 83 Daytona? My $1000 prize is still on the table for that.

GT
Old 01-19-2003, 03:17 PM

Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
Originally posted by Tongi
It's gonna be like that for a while i guess.Today my battery died on me because of the cold.
Yea, it's going to be like -32C on monday here with the windchill DURING THE SUNNY DAY! That is cold!! It will probably be -40 - -42 during the night with the windchill.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.5L Iron Duke 4 cylinder
Transmission: 5 speed manual
NOT TRYING TO STIR ANYTHING HERE....JUST SHOWING WHAT I GOT....

I have an 84 S/E that has the following:

I don't have my cowl plate in a picture but it does say AQ9 too...

Here are the results for your query on: 1G2AX87L8EN24XXXX
Made in: United States
Manufacturer: General Motors
Make: Pontiac
Restraint System: Manual belts
Carline Series: Firebird S/E
Body Type: 2 door coupe
Engine: L = 173 CID, 2.8, 2 BC, High Output
8: is the CHECK DIGIT
Model Year: 1984
Assembly Plant: Norwood, Ohio

AAA : 4-WAY MANUAL SEAT ADJUSTER
AK1 : RESTRAINT SYSTEM, FRT, CTR, RR SEAT, FRT SHLDR,
AM9 : SEAT, RR, SPLIT, BACK, FLDG
AQ9 : SEAT, FRT BKT PASS DRIVER RECL
A01 : WINDOW, TINTED, ALL SHADED, W/S
A31 : WINDOW, POWER OPERATED, SIDE
A90 : LOCK CONTROL, RR COMPT LID, REM CONT ELEC RELEASE
BS1 : INSULATION, ACOUSTICAL PKG
BV8 : ORNAMENTATION, EXTR DR HANDLE, LOCK CYLINDER,
B20 : ORNAMENTATION, INTR, LUXURY
B34 : COVERING, FRT FLOOR MATS CARPETED INSERT
B35 : COVERING, REAR, FLOOR MATS CARPETED INSERT
B84 : ORNAMENTATION, EXTR MLDG, B0DY SIDE
B94 : ORNAMENTATION, EXTR EMBLEM, BODY, VAR I
CD4 : WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE
C49 : DEFOGGER, RR WINDOW, ELECTRIC
C60 : HVAC SYSTEM, AIR CONDITIONER FRT MAN CONTROLS
D02 : PAINT, ENAMEL MASTER
D1E : GEAR, SPEEDO DRIVEN
D35 : MIRROR, OUTSIDE REAR VIEW
D42 : SHADE, RR COMPT SECURITY
D92 : STRIPE, EXTR DR HANDLE
E5Z : SPEEDOMETER ADAPTER (DELETE)
E6E : ???
GT4 : AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
J50 : BRAKE SYSTEM, POWER
K19 : REACTOR SYSTEM, AIR INJECTION
K34 : CRUISE CONTROL, AUT0MATIC, ELECTRONIC
K64 : GENERATOR, 78 AMP
LL1 : Engine, 2.8L V-6 2BC High Output
ML8 : TRANSMISSION, MAN S SPD, BORG WARNER, 77MM , 3 SO
MM5 : MERCHANDISED TRANS, MAN 5 SPD PROVISIONS
NA5 : EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER O
NB1 : EMISSION SYSTEM, CLOSED LOOP
Unable to locate code N0D in our database!
NP5 : STEERING WHEEL, LEATHER WRAPPED
N09 : LOCK CONTROL, FUEL FILLER DR
N24 : WHEEL I5 X 7 ALUMINUM CAST, 5 INCH BOLT CIRCLE
N33 : STEERING COLUMN, TILT TYPE
QHX : TIRE ALL, P205/70R14/N BL R/PE ST TL ALS
TR9 : LAMP, GROUP
T93 : LAMP, TAIL & STOP, SPECIAL
UP8 : STEREO RADIO INSTALLMENT PROVISIONS
UT1 : TONE GENERATOR, WARNING
UU7 : RADIO, AM/FM STEREO, CASS, CLOCK ETR
U21 : CLUSTER, INST, OIL, COOL TEMP, VOLTS, TACH
U23 : CLUSTER, INST, TRIM ODOM
U25 : LAMP, INTR, RR COMPT, COURTESY
U27 : LAMP, INTR, I/P COMPT, COURTESY
U29 : LAMP, INTR I/P, COURTESY
U73 : ANTENNA, FIXED, RADIO
U81 : SPEAKER SYSTEM, RR, DUAL
VK3 : LICENSE PLATE, FRT MOUNTING PKG
V73 : ANTENNA, FIXED
Unable to locate code WS8 in our database!
Unable to locate code W69 in our database!
YT1 : BUILD UP DR & QTR
YT9 : ???
Y06 : RING GEAR, 9.50 IN., SAGINAW, (S.P 0.)
55P : Gold Metallic (accent color)
62M : 62 Light Briar Brown
64I : INTERIOR TRIM, LIGHT BEIGE (I) (92)
642 : TRIM COMBINATION, LEATHER, LT BEIGE (2) (92)
649 : SEAT BELT COLOR, LIGHT BEIGE (9) (92)
67L : SECONDARY COLOR, EXTERIOR, LT CAMEL MET (91)
67Q : MOLDING COLOR, LT CAMEL MET (91)
67U : PRIMARY COLOR, EXTERIOR, LT CAMEL MET (91)
7XR : SPRING, COMPUTER SELECTED, FRONT, RIGHT HAND
8UZ : SPRING, COMPUTER SELECTED, REAR, LEFT HAND
9UZ : SPRING, COMPUTER SELECTED, REAR, RIGHT HAND
Attached Thumbnails ATTN: '83 & '84 Bird owners:-newse07.jpg  

Last edited by billsfirebird; 01-20-2003 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:01 PM

So kizz was wrong on that.I hope he'll see that post.But i don't understand why it's so hard to believe that they're using the same code for different seats.He says that GM doing bunch of stupid things when it comes to RPO codes and stuff everybody knows that too.And if you ask me this is possible too.I'm not trying to take any sides or something.I'm just trying to learn as much as i can about 82-84 T/A's that's all.And the way kizz replied to 90TA's post was like an expert.Like "Where did you get that info it's wrong".if i was in 90TA's place i would be offended too especially if i had an info that i was sure.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 PM

By the way that's very nice interior billsfirebird.I really like that color on shifter, steering wheel etc...