History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

3rd gens being denied??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 automatic
Further up in this post I had stated that JL is coming out with a Firebird-T/A series like the Camaro series a few years ago.Maybe this will have a snowball effect and Firebirds will be rolling out in other series.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:58 AM

Car: 1992 RS Heritage Edt.
Engine: 305(LO3)
Transmission: 700R4
The JL Camaro series is great, I have all of them. I have a matchbox DARE Firebird, I think its an 89, Ill have to look.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:24 PM

I own my '87 IROC because I adore it and respect its originality.

I own my '68 SS Camaro just because I have to have some way to get people's attention towards my IROC. :sillylol:

Old 02-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
I'm glad some other people see my point on the Camaro/Firebird thing.

Even GM does it. All this talk about maybe revamping the Camaro but nothing on my beloved 'birdie. :: sniff sniff ::
Old 02-24-2003, 07:42 AM

Being a locksmith for 20 years, I'm used to being one of the "unsung". Those who know me think I'm a miracle-worker who can fix anything, and those who don't think I drive around all day unlocking cars. The same goes for my car: I say I own an '83 Camaro, and get a blank look, but when I'm rolling down the road, heads turn. It's a good car to bring to the club shows, even tho it needs a paint job.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:37 PM

Car: 84 T/A,84 Bird,85 T/A Knight Automated Roving Robot
Engine: 305 HO many mods, 151C.I.D-stock,305 TPI stock for now
Transmission: 700-R4 Turbo Hydro-Matic
There, there FyreLance. I have never understood why GM did that. It is funny because alot of people like the 4th gen T/A over the 4th gen Camaro. I don't think they could've done a better job with the T/A for 2002. They look like a body builder on wheels. Hot.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Firechick
There, there FyreLance. I have never understood why GM did that. It is funny because alot of people like the 4th gen T/A over the 4th gen Camaro. I don't think they could've done a better job with the T/A for 2002. They look like a body builder on wheels. Hot.
I like the 4thgen T/A over the 4thgen Camaro too,especially the 98+ ones. The LS1 Zs looks like a man that was kicked in his nuts not to mention that it's looks like it fell down an ugly tree and hit every branch going down.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:45 PM

"The LS1 Zs looks like a man that was kicked in his nuts not to mention that it's looks like it fell down an ugly tree and hit every branch going down. "

:sillylol: :sillylol: That was pretty funny 91Zman!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by Firechick
The 98+ Ram Air is one of the most beautiful cars ever. Ever.

:: cries ::

Old 02-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

We're also being denied all the time over at the CamaroZ28.com board

Last edited by 91Zman; 02-25-2003 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Irocz, 95 Z28, 71 Z28 /RS
Engine: 355 Tpi, LT1, 355
Transmission: Auto, Auto, 4sp
Originally posted by 91Zman
We're also being denied all the time over at the CamaroZ28.com board
I have no problem over there
Old 02-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

I know that I've said things about the 4thgen here and there but only when provoked.

I don't go out my way to make fun of the later 4thgens to belittle the owners.I do keep my comments to myself over there though.What I meant by that was all the hate for the 3rdgen by some 4thgenners there.Not that all the comments that come from them bothers me it's just a neverending thing over there,things like turdgen,****** car,why did you buythat ?,they're all slow junk(even the well kept ones), and other crap.Someone did a computer animated 3D IROC and someone said why did you pick that gen Camaro?! The latest on was in the 5thgen section.Someone posted Which gen's style would you like to see in the next camaro?The poster said he would like 3rd&4thgen cues in it and wouldn't you know it some one had to make a smartass/ignorant comment about 3rdgens. Isn't it nice for that coming from a Camaro board!Shouldn't they be fans of the Camaro?It should be a requirement to post there,LOL.I know that not everyone likes every gen camaro but geeze..be considerate and keep their opinions to themselves or show tact when opinionating.

Last edited by 91Zman; 02-25-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:14 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
I Truely disagree with the comment that since there were so many made that the desirability is low. Probably at this moment in time that is true, but when you consider that in 1957 more than 1 MILLION Chevys were made, and look at how popular they are now. back in the 60's a '57 Chevy was nothing, we are experiencing the same delemma. Were in the Gap, 1982 is not yet 25 years old, so its not an "Antique" yet, and 1992 not new enough to be popular. its a Phase, you wait, 10 years from now it will be like the 2nd gens are now.

I will not be surprised if we will have a model of all of our cars available in the next 10 or so years.

John
Old 02-25-2003, 05:47 PM

I agree with okfoz. The great thing about fixing up my '83 is the cost of repair parts. From junkyards to friends getting rid of ones they're tired of, I'm getting all my minor parts(instrument cluster, seats and carpet, etc.) for a steal, and 5-10 years from now, when I'm all done, it'll be worth tons more. It won't take long before these cars become more popular than the 2nds, and the 4ths will lose the young vote as they start getting older... Of course, the 1stgens will always seem to be king because they were the first. My car in particular is already worth 10 times what I payed for it(I got it for a steak, too), and I don't mind waiting and watching the value climb. That's what collecting is all about: buy something that "will" be a classic before it is, and cash in later!
Old 02-25-2003, 05:52 PM

I grew up in Chicago

1st Gens rusted away in 4-5 years
2nd Gens rusted away in 2-3 years
3rd Gens seemed to do better

I would say that rust is the most noteworthy enemy of the earlier generations. My '76 had rusted out in the rear quarters after 2 years on the road.

Always loved going out west and seeing these cars still in service
Old 02-25-2003, 06:33 PM

Car: 82 Camaro Pace Car & 1989 IROC
Engine: LG4. & 350 TPI
Transmission: 200C
I agree with okfoz,

Third gen's will see their time. Every sports car has it's share of enthusiasts. The guys snapping up 1st gen's are the guys who were getting their licenses at that time and either had one or wanted one. Today those guys & gals are re-living their youth.

Prior to the '60's, there were very few sports cars around. The affordable muscle started with Lee Iacocca in 64. Prior to that, T-birds became bloated family cars and Vette's were over priced for the regular guy, as is the case today.
Everybody's in agreement here that the 3rd gens are still a very contemporary looking car by all standards. As the beaters make their way to the junk yard, in 10 yrs these will become sought after cars. When comparing the price of a new sports car to a clean 3rd gen, above average cars will command a handsome price as yrs go by.
Also, with eBay and international auctions going on, bidding is not restricted to any location.
Last point, the restoration hobby has been alive and well for American cars for decades now. In 10 or 20 yrs do you think anyones going to be restoring Hondas, Supras or RX7's ? I doubt it. There isn't a similar enthusiasm for restoring them.
Young guys now are going to feel mighty foolish when they get older. They will not want to be seen in a 20 yr old suped up and slammed Civic. They're gonna be the ones admiring the Camaros & Firebirds we'll be driving. I can attest to that as my friends are abandoning the r!ce for real cars.
Time will tell.

Pacer
Old 02-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Pacer
I agree with okfoz,

Third gen's will see their time. Every sports car has it's share of enthusiasts. The guys snapping up 1st gen's are the guys who were getting their licenses at that time and either had one or wanted one. Today those guys & gals are re-living their youth.

Prior to the '60's, there were very few sports cars around. The affordable muscle started with Lee Iacocca in 64. Prior to that, T-birds became bloated family cars and Vette's were over priced for the regular guy, as is the case today.
Everybody's in agreement here that the 3rd gens are still a very contemporary looking car by all standards. As the beaters make their way to the junk yard, in 10 yrs these will become sought after cars. When comparing the price of a new sports car to a clean 3rd gen, above average cars will command a handsome price as yrs go by.
Also, with eBay and international auctions going on, bidding is not restricted to any location.
Last point, the restoration hobby has been alive and well for American cars for decades now. In 10 or 20 yrs do you think anyones going to be restoring Hondas, Supras or RX7's ? I doubt it. There isn't a similar enthusiasm for restoring them.
Young guys now are going to feel mighty foolish when they get older. They will not want to be seen in a 20 yr old suped up and slammed Civic. They're gonna be the ones admiring the Camaros & Firebirds we'll be driving. I can attest to that as my friends are abandoning the r!ce for real cars.
Time will tell.

Pacer
So true! Also,don't know why I found this part funny but "They will not want to be seen in a 20 yr old suped up and slammed Civic." Maybe that's why they been driving with their seats reclined back and all you see is their fore arm and the top half of their head-and cap,err visor.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:07 PM

Car: 82 Camaro Pace Car & 1989 IROC
Engine: LG4. & 350 TPI
Transmission: 200C
That's right 91Zman,

R!cers like to recline in shame as they drive.
We like to sit upright and be seen.
Nothing beats a beautiful 3rd gen cruzing down the road!

Pacer
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 PM

Car: 2001 Trans Am WS.6, 1985 Trans Am-RIP :,(
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E, 700R-4
I've owned my '85 TA for just over a year now. I bought when I was 16. I've put loads of money into to try to fix it up. My parents don't like me doin it but I don't care. My car turns heads. Everyone in my school and neighborhood knows it. I get stares and thumbs up from many people. Whether they're driving a GTO or a new Z06, true car enthusists give respect to the 3rd gens.
My car isn't in the best condition but it doesn't matter. The 3rd gens still command attention. The TPI motors produced good torque. The engines combine the advantages of computer management with the feasabilty of a home mechanic doing maintence on the engine. The 3rd gen engines are the only ECM contolled engines I'm not afraid of. I love my car. I will keep and restore it piece by piece, doller by doller. And in 15 years when the ricers have died off, when the mustangs have long gone, I'll ride by, with a huge smile on my face, just like I do now. Don't worry, our cars are the best, even though everyone doesn't know it yet. Have faith in us kids to try to save our third gens. I'm a high school senior who puts his all into his car and there are many more out there like me.

Just my $.02

Matt
Old 02-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Iroc-Z28
Transmission: auto
i agree completely. i have a 92 RS that's in just about as good condition i've ever seen. 117K miles but no engine leaks or noise, near perfect interior. my center console cover is cracked though, and my rear hatch only stays in the up position about half of the time i put it up. i spent hours trying to find a free camaro catalog for our years. there are many free catalogs for 1st, 2nd, and 4th generations, but i only found one 3rd gen. catalog and it was $15. i don't mind paying for it too much, but if there are so many free catalogs for other generations, why not ours?
Old 02-26-2003, 09:14 PM

I won't even ask where's the love. It's right here on Third Gen.org!:sillylol: Seriously though, I agree with Pacer, Matt, and Okfoz. Every dog has it's day and so will EVERY bird. My T/A needs a paint job, but that hasn't stopped the compliments. A modified good sounding engine doesn't hurt either. It has only been in the last 2 years or so. That tells me OUR DAY IS COMING!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
I really really dont like 4th gen owners. I have only met a few that are cool, and thats cause they had thirdgens and they were members or are members now. Its the ones that think that there LT1/LS1 were brought down from ***. First and Second gen owners will say to me."Nice car man, always loved thoes years" but i get stuff like "GET A 350", or.. "Oh one of thoes things", or "Its a Z right? So its got a 6cyl?" either thoes comments or i get totaly ignored when i try to talk to them. I mean, c'mon, I own a fbody, they own fbodies... why would they bash my car? A$$holes! SOME 4th gen owners remind me of SOME 5.0 mustang owners.. cocky sons of bitches. Only difference is that they seem to be a little bit older, mid to late 20's. I cant wait for the day that i blow some 4th gen away and have them stair at my Z as it flys down the road/track. Im glad that gen is over. Now i hope that when i get out of college, the 5th gen will be ready to go so i can pick one up. Cant wait for that day.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:48 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Not that I actually look for it, but If I ma not mistaken, 80's Mustang murchandise is kind of rare too... it will happen mind you that in about 10 years we will have all sorts of crap for our cars.

When I bought my 67 Riv in 1989 I tried and tried to find models, or pictures.. anything... with no avail. A year or so WITHIN a year, I found 6 models, some die cast 1/27 models etc... it will take time but it will happen to our 82-92 F-bodies...

bigal,
I know what you mean, we seem to be the armpit of the f-bodies right now... but when I race a 4th gen and keep up with him I get a little more respect... and yes, its only a 305....

John
Old 03-03-2003, 08:51 AM

Car: 1992 RS Heritage Edt.
Engine: 305(LO3)
Transmission: 700R4
I know how everyone feels. I bought my 92 in 94. With the 4th gen fresh in the minds of the public and GM I couldnt find anything for my car as far as collectables. Just within the past year Ive found at least a dozen die cast and three plastic models. One of which is actually the heritage edition!! I hate to rag on 4th gen owners, Im co-owner of one myself. The fact is that too many of the forth gen owners are these young rich kids who have to much ego and not enough repect for other people. Im sure many of you have seen my car. I keep it CLEAN and usaully score 990 at 1000 point shows, but for some reason(no ls1) I get alot of animosity from the 4th gen guys. Oh well not tring to rant and rave to much. Just wanted to vent a little.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:24 PM

It's frustrating.....I've been looking for a firebird model kit for a couple of weeks now, and I finally found *one*. Of course, it was the Knight Rider one.......not quite what I was looking for, but hey
Old 03-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

Why dont ppl check ebay???? when they are looking for promos, models or kits?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2581
Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
Yup.

Companies like Classic Industries also now carry more shirts with Third Gens on them and more Third Gen products.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:06 PM

I have a son who is almost 5 years old. He has hundreds upon hundreds of hot wheels and matchbox cars. I never really pay attention to them unless I step on one in the hallway in my bare feet when I get up to go to work in the morning. Stepped on a firetruck a couple weeks ago! Ouch! Anyways, the other day, he's in his room playing and comes running out with a little car and says "Dad! This car looks just like yours!". Sure enough, it was a third gen trans am. White, just like mine. He told me I could keep it. I have no idea where it came from though. He gets about a hundred new cars for his birthday every year, then another couple hundred at christmas. He has a big 55 gallon plastic container JUST for his cars. I don't know where they all come from. The pile just seems to get bigger. I guess it's better than him playing with a barbie! Anyways, somebody out there is making or made a thirdgen die cast trans am. Matt
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: FBODYS
Engine: ALWAYS 8'S
Transmission: ALWAYS MENTAL
Axle/Gears: RUSTY AND BRAND NEW
PRIDE

I LIVE IN A ******* STATE AND MIGHT EVEN HAVE A LITTLE RN IN ME. IM JUST A GUY WHO HAS CHOSEN TO TRY AND SAVE A CAR WHO MOST PEOPLE DONT LIKE OR RESPECT. I, AM A CAR LOVER. IF I SEE THE ****** OR RN OR TT DRIVIN ONE OF OUR BELOVED FBODS IM NOT MAD OR ASHAMED. THE GUY OR GAL OBVIOUSLY THINKS ITS COOL ENOUGH OR IS WORTH FIXIN UP TO HAVE. AS FOR THE PRIMERED ONES THOSE DONT BOTHER ME EITHER. MOST OF THE ABOVE AFOREMENTIONED PARTIES MIGHT NOT EVEN HAVE A GARAGE TO WORK ON THEM IN OR THE MONEY TO DROP IT OFF AT A BODY SHOP, BUT THEY ARE TRYIN. THEIR MONEY DOESNT COME EASY SO WHEN THEY GET A LITTLE IT GOES IN THE CAR. IT JUST LOOKS LIKE THEIR NOT DOING ANYTHING. I STILL RESPECT THEM BECAUSE THEY HAVENT GIVEN UP AND WENT FOR THE EASY 104$ HYUNDAI PAYMENT. WE STILL NEED TO OFFER THEM HELP AND ASSISTANCE BECAUSE THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS AND MAYBE THEY HAVE THAT SET OF 92 RS GFXS SITTIN AT THEIR HOME AND THEY NEED MONEY THAT WEEK
Old 03-05-2003, 01:43 AM

It's a good thing to have pride in your car, but it looks like you need to drop some money into fixing your keyboard. Your capslock seems to be stuck.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:37 AM

Car: 1982 Recaro T/A
Engine: LU5 CFI 305 V8
Transmission: TH-200C
Axle/Gears: 3.23 F-body Fanatic: Yes
Originally posted by IROCZTWENTYGR8
Yup.

Companies like Classic Industries also now carry more shirts with Third Gens on them and more Third Gen products.
pfft.. how about PARTS instead of shirts..!? they still carry pretty much ZILCH as far as 1982 cosmetic / interior parts for Firebirds for example. And my guess is that they never will, since that was the frowned-upon low-HP era nobody really caresd about. except dummies like me of course
Old 03-05-2003, 08:06 AM

our cars are not a "Classic" until 25 years old... THEN we will have parts...

Look at who we do have, hawks, Thirdgenresource and some others, its not quite like we cannot get any parts, our selection is low, but not non-existant

You want to complain about getting parts, get yourself an old 60's buick, and then we can really start talking about lack of parts.

John
Old 03-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Classic Industries does have parts for our car just not everything like they do for the first 2 generations.They have just about everthing that you need exterior-wise and alot for the interior but not everything.You can download an entire catalog on their site: http://www.classicindustries.com/
Old 03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
kizz, I don't know about the Firebird stuff they offer currently. I used to get them along with the Camaro catalogs just to look through but there wasn't much sense to it since I'll never use them. So I only get the Camaro catalogs now. Give it a few years.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
Classic Industries doesn't have much for the early cars for a couple of simple reasons. First and foremost is that GM doesn't have the parts anymore. Classic Industries, Year One, etc get most of their parts from the dealerships. When the dealerships can't get em anymore, Classic Industries won't have them.

There are very few reproduction parts out there for thirdgens. When they start showing up I'm sure Classic Industries will have them.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Classic Industries does have a lot of 3rd gen stuff. I buy a lot of stuff through them. IF they dont have what you want or need tell them if there is a Demand for it they will get it.

Its called running a business on supply & demand you guys.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been collecting diecast since before the 3rd gens came out. It seems there were a few made when they were new so they should be out there. I was looking for second gen diecast at the time and couldn't find anything. It won't be long before more 3rd gen stuff shows up. In time, everything becomes collectible. Even ricers will become collectable in about 20 years, not the modified cars but the stock original ones as the kids driving them today mature into 40 year olds and start looking for the car they or their cousin had when they were younger.