History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

chemical body dipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Z-28
Engine: a big one
Transmission: 4 spd auto soon to be a 6 speed
chemical body dipping

i have been doing some research on the topic. and i was wanting some more input on the subject.

can anybody tell me a place that chemical dips cars in the chicago/milwaukee area, even north eastern wisconsin?

i know that the chemicals can get into the joints and seep out later, but i think this is the best way at going at restoring a car. it gets rid of rust, paint primer and anything else. the dipping place will even put on an electrically applied primer that is the same that goes onto the new cars.

i have seen prices for about 600 bucks, is this about right?

my car has a really bad paint job on it (the paint is flaking off) there is rust in many areas, and such. i would like to restore these areas.

the car is prime for a restoration. being 17+ years old, in a few years it will be eligible for collectors plates in wisconsin. the suspension needs to be replaced, i am taking the engine out right now, the interior is good, but needs work. so why not go the whole way and do it right?

also, other than junkyards, is there any place that sells frame parts. like the big thick pieces of metal that are welded on, and the strut tower stuff? I looked at goodmark, but they only offer steel cowl hoods for our cars.

thanks

ACE
Old 08-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I honestly suggest getting a different car and using the best parts from both. Sounds like way too much rust to me if you have to replace frame components. You would be far far ahead, even if you have to go to the sunbelt to get one with a rust free body. These cars are way too cheap and plentiful right now to make it worth doing all the work it sounds like you need to do.