History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Anyone have any info on the TTA convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 10:27 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
Anyone have any info on the TTA convertible?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of the TTA convertible, who owns it, pictures of it etc etc.

I know that one was created by ASC for PAS president Jeff Beitzel. The only other thing I know is that it has changed hands several times.

Anyone have any info on it?

Thanks for the help

Rob
Old 04-15-2002, 12:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I've forwarded your question to the people that can answer your questions (including the current car owner). Lon
Old 04-15-2002, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTA Convertable

Hi Rob,

The convertable you asked about is owned by Rich Van't hof in Atlanta. It is the pilot car that was used to achieve the 4.6 sec 0 to 60 time. Here is a copy of a post made by Rich to answer yer questions. Hope this is informative for you.

Lon,

As below.......it has not changed hands several times. From GM as a Pilot car owned by them, used for car magazine testing as in Car and Driver, MT, etc.....To Jeff Beitzel who bought all five Pilot Cars at the conclusion of the project reather than let GM Crush them as is the policy with Pilot Cars and had ASC do the conversion, the convertible being #3 of 5 pilots,......To Mr. Milton Robson who purchased it from Jeff in Early 1990......To me who purchased it in Mid 2000. No Wealthy Mexican Oil Barron in the Mix.
Rich...biggdoggtta...Put it to the wood and hang on.
1989 TTA Convertible (Plate: “1 OF 1” 21K miles)
1989 TTA T-Top/Lthr (#505 50 miles)
1988 GTA/TTA PAS/Triad Prototype (Plate: “88MULE” 60K miles)
1988 GTA 350 c.i. Notchback (Plate: “ GTA NB” 16K miles)

Last edited by TTA1231; 04-15-2002 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:26 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
Excellent! Thanks for the responses. Does nyone have any pictures of it? Also what color is it? I heard that GM just grabbed the mule cars from the regular production and so presume that they may have been a different color other than white??

Rob
Old 04-15-2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by RMK
Excellent! Thanks for the responses. Does nyone have any pictures of it? Also what color is it? I heard that GM just grabbed the mule cars from the regular production and so presume that they may have been a different color other than white??

Rob
The Mules cars were not white, however all the pilot cars were. I have pics of them and one of myself driving the Mule, however at the request of the owner cannot post them, they are for my enjoyment only. SORRY!!
Old 04-16-2002, 08:51 AM

Hi Rob,

As another TTA member has pointed out, there is a difference in the test mule cars and the pilot cars. There was 18 mules, these were pre 1989 cars for the most part. The only existing mule left, that we can be sure of, is a 1988 car and it is Maroon in color. There is rumors that 1 and maybe 2 others are still alive but, this has not been confirmed. The one that we know still exist is owned by the same person that owns the convertable. The random selection that you referred to is, more than likely, the random selection of the Indy pace and festival cars. These cars were randomly selected from the production run of 1550. This was done as an advertising tool for Pontiac so they could say that, they produced an Indy pace car that required no modifications. By the way, the actual speeds recorded at Indy by these cars was: lap speed of 158.30, straight away speed of 171.26.
As far as pictures go, I have many of both cars. I also have driven both and did some tuning on the 88 mule. The owner of these cars would love to display pictures of them but, do to pending article and book deals, can not do so until these projects are finalized. The owner of these babies, as I mentioned before, is Rich Van't Hof. He is the TTA historian of our group. If you would like to know more on the history of this car, please feel free to e-mail me privately at few@lubrizol.com and I will arrange for you the opportunity to speak with Rich.
I would like to thank you for showing such an interest in our car. It has probably been the most understated, underrated and ignored F-body period. I would also like to say that we, the TTA group, are true F-body enthusiasts and for the most part, own more than one F-body.

Frank (original owner of TTA #1231)
Old 04-16-2002, 12:09 PM

TTA Book?

I just purchased TTA #465 with 1110.9 miles on it. I would like to purchase any books available on the car as I did for the GN I own. Any idea where when the articles/books will be published and if they are TTA specific or just books that have a TTA section to them? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:52 PM

Hi 1987 GN,

Congratulations on yer purchase. I recommend that you subscribe to the TTA mail list. You will find a wealth of information there about your new car. Go to this site and the subscribe info is there http://www.89tta.net/ttalist.htm. I'm sure there are things you will want to be asking and this is a TTA specific list. Because of the uniqueness of yer new car, it will be well worth yer time. There are several TTA owners with GN's also so, that maybe of some interest to you.
I am not trying to say that there is not alot of great info on this forum, just that the TTA has it's own special issues that are not the same as other F-bodies and there is a tremendous amount of experience with these cars there, including a TTA specific vendor and shop that offers help and advice regularily.

Frank (original owner of TTA #1231)