Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

[RI] 1988 Firebird – Black, T-tops, 305, Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021 | 10:34 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI, Hedman shorties
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23, non-posi drum
1988 Firebird – Black, T-tops, 305, Auto

** See additional photos in subsequent posts on this thread. All the high-res photos were taken on 20 Mar 2021. **

1988 Pontiac Firebird Coupe w/ T-Tops
  • Black w/ gray cloth interior
  • 305 V8 (throttle body injection)
  • Automatic transmission
  • 191k miles

THE GOOD / Upgrades + maintenance since I bought it in January 2017:
  • Rebuilt transmission 31k miles ago (mild shift Kit, Corvette servo, B&M torque converter lockup controller – great setup)
  • Swapped out original 2.73 ratio axle for a 3.23 – a noticeable improvement in acceleration
  • UMI subframe connectors (welded)
  • UMI rear control arms and panhard bar
  • New Trans Am spec springs
  • New KYB AGX series struts and shocks (dial-adjustable to customize dampening)
  • New torque arm bushing
  • New transmission mount
  • New motor mounts
  • New oil pump
  • New rear main seal
  • Hedman shorty headers
  • Cat / emissions equipment delete
  • Custom 3" exhaust w/ stainless turbo muffler (sounds great, and quiet enough to talk over in a normal voice!)
  • New spark plugs w/ 8mm MSD wires
  • New cap and rotor
  • New injectors
  • New front control arm bushings
  • New front wheel bearings and rotors
  • New rear wheel cylinders and drum brakes
  • New parking brake cables
  • New master cylinder
  • New front and rear sway bar links
  • New hinges for rear hatch
  • Rebuilt latch at trunk
  • New driver side door latch
  • New visors
  • Aftermarket dash cover - no cracks!
  • New weatherstripping everywhere
  • New starter
  • New battery and cables
  • New alternator
  • Rebuilt AC compressor
  • New heater core
  • New serpentine belt / tensioner
  • New thermostat
  • New radiator hoses
  • New high-flow air cleaner
  • New engine fan switch
  • New engine fan
  • Nice custom-embroidered floor mats
  • Brand new tires (all) on 11 Mar 2021
  • Fresh RI state inspection and fresh front end alignment on 13 Mar 2021
  • The engine runs so smooth that I assume it's been rebuilt at some point in its life, but I cannot verify this
  • With the suspension and chassis upgrades it handles like it's on rails!

THE ODD: #1
I believe this car is a Formula, but it has the incorrect spoiler installed on it...
  • it had WS6 center caps / correct Formula wheels on it at time of purchase, but they were a mess and covered with overspray (the ones on it now were a Craigslist purchase and look pretty good)
  • it has "Performance Suspension" badging on the dash (see photos)
  • it has the quick ratio steering box
  • I saw photos of the car from previous owner when I initially purchased the car and it had the wrap-around spoiler – I think when it was repainted, they just used a complete hatch from a base coupe that was in better shape
  • I never bothered to install the correct Formula spoiler because I like the more subdued look of what's on the car currently
HOWEVER, since there is not really a way of verifying this (like running a VIN in a database) that I'm aware of, I can't in good faith advertise it as a Formula.

THE ODD: #2
There is a clunk from driver side rear that I've not been able to isolate. Since the suspension is all new / tight, my best guess is the filler neck-to-gas-tank joint is weakening or possibly failed.

THE BAD
  • Some minor dents / dings / scratches to be expected with a 33 yo car with 191k miles
  • Older re-paint from a previous owner is showing its age but is still presentable
  • Firebird decals were never put on after previous owner re-paint – and I never bothered to add them
  • Minor rust spot at lower area of passenger rear wheel arch (see photos)
  • Previous bodywork patch at upper passenger rear wheel arch is showing its age (see photos - it's located between the red arrows)
  • "Pontiac" badge missing from driver front headlight
  • The passenger door window needs to be adjusted to tilt in a little more for a better seal – it does leak because of this. The fix is simple, but I've just never made time for it because I almost always drive it in good weather.
  • The interior upholstery is fair overall. The back seat and passenger seat are decent. The driver side has a torn bolster where your left thigh would be. I just used $20 covers from Autozone and never pursued replacing the seat covers.
  • Interior door cards are from a late 80s Camaro - unsure of year, but I like the look with the diagonal lines (I think they look like gills of a shark, kinda cool) so I never bothered to swap in correct Firebird ones
  • The SES light comes on occasionally for a few minutes when cruising on the highway. I think it's because a sensor might be confused by the absence of emissions equipment... I've always just ignored it, it turns off after 5 mins or so. This doesn't happen often at all, maybe twice a week – but still worth disclosing. Drivability is never affected.
  • The selector module for the climate control is stuck on "DEFROST" – I believe the vacuum line from the back of the engine to the selector unit either has a crack or fell off. I never bothered to fix it.
  • At some point, a previous owner incorrectly wired the climate control fan speed selection switch – when it's on "LO" it's really on "HI" and vice versa. The fan also doesn't really blow too hard. Not sure why. I never bothered to fix it.
  • There is a slight oil leak at the front of the motor – enough for a few drops a day. My guess is the timing cover seal has a leak somewhere.

TO SUM IT ALL UP:
This vehicle has been lovingly cared for, responsibly driven, proactively maintained, tastefully upgraded, and always garaged during my 4+ years of ownership. It has been amazingly reliable and has made many many long trips (ranging up to 2000 miles, even climbing Mt. Washington!) with no issue. It gets thumbs-up's and Knight Rider comments everywhere it goes.

During the first 2.5 years that I owned the car it was my daily driver – I put nearly 40k miles on it in that time span! Accordingly, I invested a substantial amount of time, effort and money to make the car suitable and dependable for daily use, along with occasional upgrades and enhancements to keep things fresh and fun. I bought a Jeep in July 2019 to use as my new daily, and since then the Firebird has enjoyed occasional (but still very frequent) use. I am confident in its reliability and wouldn't hesitate taking it on a long trip tomorrow.

Factory shop manual books and owners manual included in sale (see pics), along with any parts laying around in my garage.

I've decided to switch things up and purchased a new toy, so sadly this car must go. This is a driver-quality car with no known show-stopper issues – it is ready TODAY to be driven / enjoyed / restored at your leisure. Nice T-top weather is right around the corner!

Asking $6,950 or best offer.
  • PM me if you are interested in the car.
  • I'm motivated to sell – need to free up funds for stuff around the house.
  • I'm happy to make arrangements for a viewing, and those with cash in-hand are welcome to test-drive the car.

Thanks for looking!!

​​​​​​​
Old 03-21-2021 | 10:36 PM

Re: 1988 Firebird – Black, T-tops, 305, Auto

More photos – exterior and engine:

Old 03-21-2021 | 10:40 PM

More photos – interior...

Old 03-21-2021 | 10:45 PM

More photos – miscellaneous, body issues...

Old 03-24-2021 | 01:54 PM

SOLD