Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

[MI] 1989 Trans am GTA Convertible L98 $5500

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Trans am GTA Convertible L98 $5500

Firebird fans!!! Here’s a rare bird that many people don’t even know exists: a 1989 Trans Am GTA convertible with the L98 TPI engine. This 350 cubic inch engine was standard equipment in the GTA throughout its production, but it was never produced as a convertible thanks to the car’s impressive power and handling capabilities—GM engineers felt that the convertible chassis wouldn’t deliver the performance Pontiac fans demand. But in 1989, ASC (who built all the ragtop F-bodies for GM anyway) ran a batch of 32 GTA convertibles, just to see what would happen. The result is one of the rarest of all 3rd generation F-bodies, and also one of the most potent. The GTA was the top-of-the-line Trans Am in 1989, loaded with every single option Pontiac could throw at it. Because of the performance potential of the L89 engine, the suspension was upgraded, and visual cues were more pronounced, including monochromatic paint. GTAs used body-colored epoxy-filled emblems rather than tape stripes and decals, while a gold Firebird could be found on the rear sail panel. A gold GTA/Firebird combination crest was placed on the nose of the car between the headlights, and "GTA Trans Am" badges were located above the body break line at the back of the front fenders. GTAs did not feature the lower air extractor vents like those used on regular Trans Am models. This beautiful Flame Red Metallic GTA convertible has all the standard GTA styling features, and the same easy-to-stow folding top as the standard convertible. With just 112K original miles, That’s less then 5K miles a year, and has never been used in winter weather or as a daily driver. Paint is factory and bodywork is super-clean, with gaps that prove that this car has never been in an accident or had any body panel replacements. The urethane ground effects and spoilers found on the GTAs are in good condition as well, with no signs of warping or discoloration. Paint technology was improving in 1989, and the two-stage process used on this GTA gives great shine and depth, for a sophisticated and striking look in the sunlight. And with this convertible, you’ll want to spend a lot of time in the sun. The leather is in fair condition given that it’s now 22 years old. There are some comfort lines in the driver’s seat, but no notable damage, even on the massive side bolsters which tend to show wear first, The carpet needs some attention or needs to be replaced. Some of the interior panels also are showing some wear and their age. But for the right buyer these are easily replaced pieces. The convertible top is decent, no rips or tears, but it’s missing the rear window (plastic). The L98 V8 under the hood is no joke. Stolen from the Corvette, it makes 240 horsepower in this application and a whopping 345 pounds of torque, which was why GM chassis engineers were fearful of putting it in the convertible body (even T-tops were not available on L98 coupes). With a crisp burble from the tailpipe at idle and a full-throttle battle cry that made Mustang 5.0s run and hide, this engine is legendary in GM circles for its performance, civility, and reliability. And forget that nonsense about the convertible chassis not being up to the task—ASC, who does all the convertible work for most of the OEMs anyway—reinforced the GTA’s chassis when they removed the roof for the conversion. The result is a 100% factory GTA that you’ll never see anywhere else. And speaking of chassis performance, the GTAs also got the WS6 handling package that included stiffer springs and shocks, as well as those gorgeous gold lace alloy wheels wearing 245/50/16 performance radials. There are probably a few of these that are homemade concoctions that Trans Am fans built themselves. But this is a real 1989 L98 GTA convertible built by the factory. People always do a double-take when they see the GTA badges and the big engine in the convertible body. Beautifully preserved and an absolute blast to drive. Unusual, rare, and a very interesting story to tell. Have some top-down fun this summer with this fast and gorgeous GTA convertible. $5500 or best 586-243-3707
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Want a title? Post!

Re: 1989 Trans am GTA Convertible L98 $5500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENoSpU9weSE This is the car for sale
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Looks like a nice car. GLWS!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
Looks like a nice car. GLWS!
It is a nice car... needs a few cosmetic things to really make it pop... but for the money, it's well worth it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Do you have the SPID sticker showing Y84 on it?

Being from up north....How is the rust on it?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
Do you have the SPID sticker showing Y84 on it?

Being from up north....How is the rust on it?
The sticker your refering to would have been in the counsel, The car was broken into 15+ years ago and they damaged the seats, counsel, and the Steering wheel, Which is why the wrong wheel is on it, the wrong seats are in it, and the wrong counsel is in it. So no I don't have the sticker showing the Y84 code. The car is a real GTA convertible, it's not like someone made this thing... When you open the door it has the ASC sticker on it. I'm the 3rd owner of the car, The guy that had it before me had it for many years and then it sat in a warehouse for quite sometime. The car is originally from Boston, There is not one speck of rust underneath this car. I've had it on the my hoist and it's very very clean. The paint is only about 3 years old, so the car looks great, It runs very well and shifts good, The top is ok, needs a rear window, I do have the original seats that go with the car, they need to be re-done. Carpet really needs to be replaced. I just don't need another car right now. The car is fairly valueable. I had it listed for $7500 earlier this year, and I had it sold, but the guy backed out. I just need it gone now... don't really care if i take a loss at $5500 just want some space back.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Want a title? Post!

Video of the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENoSpU9weSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXPjEbrJ4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlsCLW0oaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5yK7DrF1DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdD97GAmRVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqBu5G-nsOQ