Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #670 Leather T-top SOLD!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1 V8
Transmission: T-56 6spd
1989 Turbo Trans Am #670 Leather T-top SOLD!!

Name:  32.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  102.0 KB
Name:  02.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  19.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  114.4 KB

More Pics - camaroguy1969/Turbo TA For Sale - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Car Itself
T-top Leather Interior car
As of 11/09/08 201,841 miles
Overall very good shape – runs, rides, stops, and handles properly. Looks and rides like a 40K mile car.
Always garage kept, no rust anywhere, only rained on 2 times under my ownership since 10/31/2006

Engine
Brand new rebuilt stock spec Buick Grand National short-block, stock GN pistons with factory 9:1 compression. TTA stock was 8:1
Bored .10 over, new bearings, freeze plugs, line honed, all expected machining done by GN engine expert.
Heads machined with new nail head style valves, Comp Cams LT1 Z28 springs, and seals.
Comp Cams 212/212 camshaft
Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain
Precision Engineering TE-44 Turbo, capable of supporting 680hp
New GM Lifters
New GM Head Gaskets and Seals used throughout rebuild
160 Thermostat
New GM Knock Sensor
RJC Powerplate
RJC 1.37” Wastegate
Adjustable Wastegate Actuator
New GM Cam Spring Bearing/Button
50lb/hr Precision Turbo Fuel Injectors
Accufab Adjustable Fuel Regulator
New 60psi Walbro Fuel Pump
Billet Thermostat Neck
Billet Oil Filler with K&N filter
H&R Parts Poly Motor Mounts
New Cam Sensor
New GM Coil and Ignition Module
New GM Oil Pressure sending unit
New GM Water pump
MSD Wires
NGK Plugs
Chrome 3” MAF Pipe w/K&N cone filter
Chrome Up Pipe
Chrome Turbo Heat Shield
Silicone Hose set with Aircraft style hose clamps for all major points
Exhaust manifolds were media blasted and all cracks properly welded and stress points reinforced. Crossover pipe was also media blasted and inspected.
Downpipe wrapped in black DEI exhaust wrap
New GM Coolant Overflow tank and Windshield Washer Fluid tank
New Aluminum Radiator

**I have all of the parts to return everything to stock including the original short block, intake parts, injectors, factory turbo, and all internal engine parts.

Transmission
Original 200R-4 4spd OD Transmission
Feels to have been rebuilt at some point with stock converter, still very strong and firm.
New Energy Suspension Poly Transmission Mount

Rear End
Original 9-bolt Australian Borg Warner Rear End with factory gears, all in good shape.

Suspension
Factory1LE Suspension and Braking system w/11” front rotors and Corvette style PBR calipers.
Rear PBR Calipers
New Rear KYB Gas-A-Just shocks
New Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar End Links
Everything up front feels nice and tight, possibly rebuilt at some point

Body
Per CarFax report, conversation with original owner, and inspection from a good friend who is a paint and body guy the car appears to be accident free. All VIN tags are present and accounted for around the car.
The original paint is showing its age in some places, especially on the hood and tops of front fenders. It has some rock chips here and there but nothing major.
Front bumper cover/nose has a small rip in it at the bottom from being winched on to a flat bed under by the previous owner.
Doors still open and close very nicely
Newer stock rear spoiler with 2 very small cracks at the mounting base on the passenger side.
Tail lights are in excellent shape with no scratches, stains, or de-lamination.
All emblems are present, front nose emblem is chipped, lower Indy wings have some gold that is fading.

Glass
Never tinted all original glass. Door glass appears to be defect free.
Front windshield has a filled rock chip on the driver side.
Rear hatch glass is excellent although the defrost braided wire has come un-soldered from the defrost strip, this can be repaired.

T-tops
Both glass tops are in excellent condition with matching keys to the car.
T-top T-Bar is rust free, weather stripping is still very soft.
Newer Zipper Style T-top bag, original Velcro flap T-top bag is included

Electronics
All gauges and lights work as they should including power locks, windows, mirrors, and hatch pull down motor.
Headlights go up and down properly.
Factory Radio and Steering wheel controls work correctly and both are in very good condition.
Newer steering wheel installed, I still have the original wheel and button pad.
New Power Antenna installed by previous owner and works perfectly.
Primary cooling fan has been wired to activate at Key On

Interior
Front seats were recovered in correct grain vinyl and dyed to match. Headrests are original and were just dyed but not recovered. All inflatable bolsters work properly as well as all manual adjustments.
Rear Seats were restored and dyed due to cracking headrests. It is super hard to tell but they are one tint darker than the fronts but look and feel great.
Door panels, console, shift plate, and all interior plastics are in good shape.
Dash Pad is still soft and free of any crack or warping
Seat belts are kind of dingy and could be cleaned.
Carpet front and rear is well used and could stand to be replaced.
Headliner was recovered by previous owner and not done properly, it is peeling at the top edges around the t-tops.
Floor mats in the car are GM but are not original to the car and could stand to be replaced
Map pocket with TTA emblem is present and in excellent condition

TTA Stuff
Original Owners kit is 99% complete with both unused door banner decals and windshield decals. All documents, tape, warranty card, owners manual, and TTA supplement is there. The only thing missing is the original keychain. The paper hinge on the box itself is in poor shape.
New Extra OEM Owners Manual
New Extra OEM TTA Supplement
Original 1LE Aluminum spare, tools, and air can are present and appear to have never been used.
Pontiac Historical Services Documentation kit showing the car to be #670
Original Stainless Dual Exhaust Tips are still on the car and in good shape however are not mounted factory correct. Car currently has a Flowmaster muffler on it and needs to be replaced.

Extra Stuff That Goes with the Car
New Complete Set of TTA emblems from Car Motorsports including TTA emblem keychain, hat pin, and patch.
Scanmaster 2.1 Diagnostic Computer – a must have for any GN/TTA owner
4th Gen F-body Stainless SLP SS Muffler

Extra Stuff that is also for sale
2 Extra GTA Dimple Rear Wheels $150
New Spohn Sub-Frame Connectors $200
New Spohn Driveshaft Loop $100
New Spohn Billet Tie-Rod Adjusters $50
Autometer Dual Pillar Gauge Pod $30
Autometer Vac/Boost Gauge $40
Casper’s 2 1/16” Black Face LED Knock Gauge $40
Reproduction door banner decals from John’s Performance $70
GM Underhood decal $30

The Bottom Line
This is TTA has been driven, maintained, and very well cared for by myself and the previous owners. The new engine has about 800 miles on it and is set at 8psi max boost. My engine builder, a well known GN builder is estimating a max boost of 13-15psi once full break in is achieved. Since the GN pistons run a slightly higher compression the original 16.5psi TTA boost will not be safe unless race fuel or alcohol injection assist is used. However since there is slightly higher compression even running with no boost the car runs very strong. This car needs to be driven and enjoyed. I have almost $15,000 in the car as it sits. Asking $12,500 OBO. I have the clear Texas title in hand, all serious offers considered. Located just north of Austin Tx. Contact Jeff at camaroguy@hardwayracing.com or 512-297-8842
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Re: 1989 Turbo Trans Am #670 Leather T-top

The price is negotiable on mine and I am in Texas, both of those are not. If someone came out, drove it, and made a reasonable offer on it I would take it. Some people like 100% stock cars and others like some with some flash. Mine has some flash and upgrade but can be 100% stock at any time. It is what it is, a nice clean fun car that has been driven and well maintained all its life.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

That is the mileage reading on the odometer.....

That doesn't reflect the FACT that a GN engine was built & put in, that now has 800 miles on it (the 200,000 mile OEM engine is included)....

Then there is all the other stuff included in the sale, besides just the car....
Old 11-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Want a title? Post!

The body looks amazing for having anything over 100k miles on it. You cannot use that as a "bargaining chip" the vehicle is amazing, and in my opinion worth every penny. I just wish i lived anywhere near texas. Good luck with the sale.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Formula, '92 TA, '91 ZR-1
Engine: 350, 305, LT-5

Nice car!! Dosen't look even close to those miles.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anni.
Engine: 5.0l TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gov lock

Bump for a super clean and rare bird.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks for your compliments and support Stephen. I think gpdscott was talking about one of the other TTAs for sale with 27,000 miles on it.

Update: the 4th gen SLP stainless steel muffler is now on along with the stock TTA tips and stainless tail pipes. I also had the shop install a new flex pipe since the stock one was leaking and would not pass inspection. It passed TX inspection with flying colors and is good till Nov. 2009. The car is still for sale and the price is negotiable.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Price reduced $12,000 OBO
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not enough

I've got a friend of mine looking for one of those cars. OP would you be willing to do a bit of driving for 10k -11K purchase. Say around the LA/MS border?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:10 AM

Car: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Engine: 364ci LS2
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.46

interested in round rock... email me back at kylebucuk@hotmail.com
Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 PM

Car: '70 LeMans
Engine: 383 Stroker Small Block
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Thats a very beautiful car. I've had an 87 GTA and then my 96 3.8l V6 and ever since I've always wanted 1 of these.

The great 3.8 in my favorite body style T/A, What more could You want?
lol

Bump for a nice and rare car.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Still for sale. Price is negotiable.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Car: 1985 Firebird SE
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt

If you come down to the $8k range, I might be interested in making an all-cash offer. Miles are very high, and I'm sure with a fresh engine in there that the tranny may need a rebuild before too long down the road since that's normally the way of such things. Also needs the minor body/apint work you mention, but, again, needs the work.

If you want a clean straight body to make a new project out of, I'd go in the 6000 range and throw in a very solid 85 running/driving thats about 3/4 finished.

Not trying to insult, but, market is soft right now all around and its the high miles on the body that are going to hurt more than anything else when there are clean low mileage cars in the same price-range.

Also, any specs on the gn motor? Name of shop doing the work, how was the crank turned? at .020 under you lose the benefits of the rolled fillets. Did they use cheap hyper pistons or forged or ??? Hyper pistons in a turbo motor don't last long either. Been dabbling around GNs since the late 90s, curious who the builder was and how it was done...

Very nice car all around. hold onto her long enough, and when the market improves, you may well get your price. Me, I'm looking for the deal, and I see a stock 9-bolt with lots of miles on it, trans which could have over 100k already with a stock engine, bleh bleh bleh... I'm the pessimist and try to plan for anything that can go wrong
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM

should have the $$$ soon if the car will still be for sale
Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM

If I was the OP, I would be pretty pissed off that there were people posting in my thread about how they are asking too much. It is a beautiful car, with a lot of work done to it. It is a turbo trans am...they are worth money. This is a thread for selling cars, not telling the owner that he's asking too much. The maturity level of some of the members here is unreal. At 12k it is probably still a loss for the owner. By posting ads of similar cars at the same price range and higher, you are only proving the value of this car. Any discrepencies with price or anything negative should be taken up through PM or just kept to yourself.

This is a very nice car, if I had the money and space i would be all over it. I have too much stuff at the moment.

Last edited by 91chevywt; 01-20-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 91chevywt
If I was the OP, I would be pretty pissed off that there were people posting in my thread about how they are asking too much. It is a beautiful car, with a lot of work done to it. It is a turbo trans am...they are worth money. This is a thread for selling cars, not telling the owner that he's asking too much. The maturity level of some of the members here is unreal. At 12k it is probably still a loss for the owner. By posting ads of similar cars at the same price range and higher, you are only proving the value of this car. Any discrepencies with price or anything negative should be taken up through PM or just kept to yourself.

This is a very nice car, if I had the money and space i would be all over it. I have too much stuff at the moment.
yeah i agree with you completely. i mean come on guys, there are only 1500 of these sold to the general public, and im sure not anywhere near that many are still on the road.

im just hoping i get the cash to buy this car before someone else does i was going to mod my GTO... but that biatch is too expensive man.... just for a set of rods/pistons will set you back $1500+, without labor LOL. pretty much just as expensive as a new corvette to mod
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM

hey guys you know what,
if someone is actually interested in something, they wont care what the price of it is if they truely want it.

this is a 1 of 1550 production cars ever made, and theres probably a lot less than 1550 of them left on the road today. its in very nice condition inside and out and has a new motor in the car.

to me, this is something i really like and the rareness of the car makes it all that much better.

so to all of you who are bashing the price is too high, keep doing so. ill buy the car myself when my funds arrive for what its actually worth, not what the 'market' kbb, edmunds or whatever value is.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

First of all, that is one nice looking TTA! Second, for those questioning, mileage has absolutely nothing to do with it. This car comes with everything to bring it back to it's original form, and that is the only thing that matters from a collectibility standpoint. Yes, TTA's w/lower mileage demand a higher price, but so what? Do you really think someone who buys a TTA with, say, 1000 miles, will ever enjoy it? These cars are meant to be appreciated and driven, not to be stared at from across the room....
Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 AM

ive already picked out a crapload of Spohn suspension parts in going to throw on it anyone want to buy a 2005 gto 6-speed lol? dyno'ed 365rwhp 359rwtq on a dynojet

my first 3 cars were third gen camaro's... its in my blood to have another fbody... i cant help it, since ive had the third gen ive owned a 08 b2300, 05 honda accord and now my 05 gto... and nothing feels right, except for a third gen dont get me wrong the gto is a rediculous car, stock they can run high 12's and get 22-24mpg on the highway... but i need a third gen, im craving it :P
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by LoneStar666
... anyone want to buy a 2005 gto 6-speed lol? dyno'ed 365rwhp 359rwtq on a dynojet.
If the price is right, try LS1GTO.com, North-East section....
Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Car: 1985 Firebird SE
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt

I think everyone needs to stop posting one way or another debating merits of price...

Me? I made a serious cash offer based on what I saw. I'd pay in the 8k range for the car. I also asked a bunch of IMPORTANT questions on that engine with ZERO answers.

For those that do not know, there were FOUR DIFFERENT "grand national" engines from 1984-1987 in the fuel inected cars, not counting the old carb/turbo suff he isn't referring to by using the word "GN". He doesn't give any clue as to what is in the car...

* Is it the 1984 version with the 14 bolt oil pan?
* Is it the intermediate block used in late 1985 that has a 20 bolt pan but has a VERY rough and weakened lifter valley casting?
* Is it the more desirable 109 block casting?
* Is it built from a SG1 gm service block?

Who built the engine? Has it been broken in? How? Will the builder stand behind it? Why the secrecy over the shop/builder name? It says "machining done by GN expert", who did the assembly? And who did the machining? Buick motors are different than SBC motors and need an assembler who knows their differences to get a quality unit as the result, otherwise it's asking for trouble.

When it was built what kind of pistons were used?

How much was the crank turned on rods and journals, and, was it a non-turbo 3.8 crank without rolled fillets (fit the same)? Was it a new Eagle crank? Was it a original 229casting number crank that had rolled fillets but cut .020 under or more so the benefit of the rolled fillets on the journals is gone?

Again, if you've owned or dealt with any of the buick 3.8 turbo powered cars you would understand why these issues are more important to a new owner than if this was a run-of-the-mill SBC rebuilt sitting in that car.

Perhaps he felt insulted by my $8k-ish range offer, but...

Its NOT an excuse for NOT sharing answers to the questions which, I hope, ANY buyer will INSIST on having before buying the car at ANY price, even if it was $20,000....
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 AM

drove the car yesterday, im sold just gotta get the cash asap!

car is deffiently worth the money

man it was good to drive another third gen, felt like putting on a glove that fits your hand perfectly sitting in that driver seat
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM

I appreciate everyone's compliments on the car and everyone else is entitled to their opinions. To be honest I stopped watching this thread quite awhile ago and knew that anyone that was truly interested would PM me or call me as my personal email and phone number have been posted from the very start. As LoneStar said above he came out and drove the car on Sunday and we have a sale in the works. His posts, my info, and the pictures tell the story, the car speaks for itself for what it is and it's condition.

I will answer a few questions that were posted by KennyC. The car has a shortblock from an '87 T-type, same motor used in the '86 & '87 GN's which were intercooled. Machine and balance work was done by Brian Johnson in Liberty Hill Tx. I do not know if it is a 109 block off the top of my head but I can find out. I will be honest I do not know all the specifics on the machining, I just wanted it to be done right and paid handsomly for it. Brian has built a lot of motors for my engine builder, Tim Blessin. Tim has got GN's in to the 10's, cars that could be daily drivers with the exhaust cutout plugged up and thats it. He knows what he is doing and I left it in his hands.

I never meant to promote any secerecy amongst who did what on the car. If LoneStar or any other real potential buyers have any questions they are welcome to PM me or call me and I will answer all questions as best I can.

As far as your offer goes Kenny I did not see it until this morning. An no I will not take $8K for it although I appreciate your interest in it.

I hope that settles some of this up for now. LoneStar or I will post updates as they happen. Thanks everybody.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevyguy1969
The car has a shortblock from an '87 T-type, same motor used in the '86 & '87 GN's which were intercooled....
If the block came from an '87 T-Type, then it is most definitely the stronger 109 block. What's good to know, for those who are interested, is that the 109 block, whether from a factory Turbo application, or N/A 3.8, are exactly the same. The only difference is the turbo oil drain back hole, which could be drilled for a N/A block. Again, beautiful TTA chevyguy, and I hope LoneStar enjoys it....
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM

SOLD! On it's way to Dallas and then to Nebraska. It will be in good company, the guy that bought it has a low mileage Syclone and a sweet '87 GN.