FAQ Building Board This isn't a "question" board. This board is where we all can figure out what we need added/changed to the FAQ on thirdgen.org.

Oddities with cruise control cables...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oddities with cruise control cables...

Q: Why does the cruise cable I have not fit my mounting brackets correctly and/or won't reach the carburetor or throttle body?

A: The cruise servos and cable lengths changed several times over the years. If you've added cruise control to your car (or someone else has) and need replacement parts you need to know what to look for. Or, if your cruise is broken, make absolutely sure to get the right kind of servo or it gets rather messy.

(length measurements are referring to the distance from the square "clip" attachment point to the end of the slotted oval throttle attachment)

In particular, the cruise servos seem to come in two different styles. The first style, used on the earlier V6 and LG4/L69 V8 carbureted engines, had a threaded "nut" adjustment to the cable. This servo also had a ribbed rubber "boot" over the whole mess. The slack on this cable was adjusted with the nut.

The second style had a flat "plate" with many different holes drilled in it and no rubber boot. The cable is attached to the "plate" with a circlip identical to the one on the throttle cable. The cable is adjusted by moving the cable from hole to hole and securing it with the circlip.

The two cable types are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.

Furthermore, the cables for the earlier style servo have been discontinued, and are sometimes hard to find in the junkyard.

So, if you have an older car like mine ('84 carb) and somehow have acquired the newer style servo, there's no "factory" cable for it. You'll find that the cable from the TPI cars is way too short. However! The cable from a MPFI V6 camaro will usually work. It's a little shorter than the originally LG4/L69 cable but can be made to work with a little bending of the bracketry.

I don't believe a newer car can be made to work with the older style servos. The LG4/L69 cables are WAY WAY too long, but hey, you can try it if you want .

------------------
"You live and you learn, or you don't live long"
"Good judgement is often the result of experience. Experience is, unfortunately, often the result of bad judgement."

'84 Black Camaro ZZ4 M5 (V-6 in a former life)- Blown 10-bolt
'99 Navy Blue Metallic Firehawk #120 M6(!CAGS, B&M Ripper, stock POS clutch)