Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Hiding MSII, relay board, MSD and iginition coil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011 | 01:34 PM

Hiding MSII, relay board, MSD and iginition coil.

This has been the project on my car that I keep putting off; because it is a royal pain in the *** (getting in and out from up under the dash.)

Here's what I've done so far:

MSD coil wire fire wall pass through
Covered up heater box holes/ other smaller ones (yes they're quarters)
Mounted coil to lower dash support
Mounted MSII in gutted factory ECU so it can mount up in the stock location
Began making a board for MSD and relay board mounting.

--Part of the challenge in this was mounting these components without having screws/rivets sticking out of the firewall in the engine compartment. So I used aluminum strap, bent the end twice in opposite directions to make a foot (to distance the components and board from the firewall.) Under the dash I found two similar 'feet'; one up towards the top, and on the bottom near the right (towards the door) and used those to mount the straps without making any holes in the firewall.

I learned that if you HAVE to screw something directly to the firewall it looks the best when you use a rivet from the engine compartment side. (for those of us who don't have a welder at our disposal)

You also have to remember you cant drill into the 'ceiling' under the dash because you will drill into the cowl and it will leak. (thought about mounting the msd box upside-down.)

Here's what I plan to do:

Finish making the board using 1/8 plywood glued to a sheet of aluminum.

As much of a pain this all is, it really is starting to pay off and it will facilitate the organization of my wiring and electrical system in general...it was about time for a revamp. Will post up when I make a little more progress.

Last edited by kerplunk318; 05-05-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 | 01:43 PM

Re: Hiding MSII, relay board, MSD and iginition coil.

I am clearly not understanding how to embed these pictures

EDIT:

Last edited by kerplunk318; 05-05-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2011 | 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

put [img] in front of the link and [/img] directly after the link with no spaces
Old 06-02-2011 | 09:31 PM

Old 06-02-2011 | 09:36 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: 1987 Iroc
Engine: 357 Single plane and a Ysi vortech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"

Cool project man. I just did the sa,e thing ,yself. I have 3 fuse boxes under there as well. ACC, 12+ all the time, and ground. I mounted the MS directly to the panel since its pretty light.

OT: Are you still running the small cap dizzy? If so, how is it wired?
Old 06-03-2011 | 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Cool project man. I just did the sa,e thing ,yself. I have 3 fuse boxes under there as well. ACC, 12+ all the time, and ground. I mounted the MS directly to the panel since its pretty light.

OT: Are you still running the small cap dizzy? If so, how is it wired?
I am running a pro-billet distributor with a VR wired directly into the relay board, and ignition output triggering the white wire of my MSD box.

How are the main grounds configured in your car? Where does that main ground block go? I had a hell of a time getting rid of some serious noise (took at least a year to get where I am now; still have some slight noise.)
Old 06-03-2011 | 09:55 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kerplunk318
I am running a pro-billet distributor with a VR wired directly into the relay board, and ignition output triggering the white wire of my MSD box.

How are the main grounds configured in your car? Where does that main ground block go? I had a hell of a time getting rid of some serious noise (took at least a year to get where I am now; still have some slight noise.)

On the back of the head, which then go directly to the firewall. Also, the firewall goes to the bellhousing.

On the front of the motor I have a huge ground going from the block to the frame rail. At the battery(behind the seats) it goes directly to the frame at the cage.
Old 06-03-2011 | 12:24 PM

Hmm... your rear mount battery makes comparing the grounding of the two systems difficult. What are you running for an ignition set up? It is definately the most challenging part of Megasquirt.
Old 06-03-2011 | 04:49 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, you're telling me?

Search my name for the thread talking about it I have major issues with it. It will run, but once the 5v signal goes to the dizzy it cuts the car off totally.

Looks like my friend of a friend didn't mod the board correct for my digital 6 and MSD billet dizzy. I am switching it to your setup(ie VR directly to MS and white signal wire to MSD). At least I think thats the way it should be.

Right now its 2 pin plug to MSD and then to Coil. The 4 pin all goes to the MS. I am now finding out its alll wrong. You have a wiring diagram for your setup?
Old 06-03-2011 | 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, you're telling me?

Search my name for the thread talking about it I have major issues with it. It will run, but once the 5v signal goes to the dizzy it cuts the car off totally.

Looks like my friend of a friend didn't mod the board correct for my digital 6 and MSD billet dizzy. I am switching it to your setup(ie VR directly to MS and white signal wire to MSD). At least I think thats the way it should be.

Right now its 2 pin plug to MSD and then to Coil. The 4 pin all goes to the MS. I am now finding out its alll wrong. You have a wiring diagram for your setup?
My set up is just VR signal to "TACH" on the relay board, and ground to "TPS RET." Then the output (white wire of MSD) goes out on "S5."

I also had to install a BIP373 in the Q16 slot of the MS and make sure the jumpers were correct.

Ignition output should be "Inverted" and input should be "Rising Edge" in the software. Your not using a any module right? Are you using MSextra?