Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

How to get these tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro Vert
Engine: 305 TBI V8
How to get these tail lights?

Ok, so since getting my Camaro a couple months ago I've decided I don't particularly like the grid style tail lights. I've made a couple crude mockups of what I want my tail lights to look light. One with chrome trim and one with red. I would want them to be like the non-grid tail lights, but without seems between the lamps. Also, I would like to switch the colors so there is red on top and orange on bottom. I would also want the lenses tinted (about 50%)

In terms of functionality, I would want LEDs. I would want them to work sequentially like the ones from spaghettiengineering.com, but want the sequence to span all three lamp housings. (Does this make sense)

Anyone have any idea how I could accomplish this? I have pretty much no experience with any fabrication... Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails How to get these tail lights?-tail-lights_0000_red-split.jpg   How to get these tail lights?-tail-lights_0001_chrome-split.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc Z
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: How to get these tail lights?

you could maybe tint stock ones with lens tint?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:42 AM

yeah that I could probably do pretty easily. Its changing the colors and getting LEDs set up to work right with it that would be the problem..
Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

I would start with the non-grid style taillights, probably 2 sets will be needed. Start buy cutting out one upper orange section and one lower red section. Cut carefully with die grinder and cutoff wheel or dremel. Cut the replacement pieces from one of the other pair of taillights and epoxy them in place. Pick up a sheet of ABS plastic on Ebay, or some plexi at Lowes/Home Depot and cut your filler strip between the upper and lower lights. Use some VHT or similar tint paint to get the shade you want.

As for the LED's, there is a thread on here somewhere detailing how one guy did the conversion. It's very thorough, but I can't remember if its in the Body or the Electronics forum.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:26 AM

Getting two sets is a pretty good idea. Anyone know if the orange and red sections are the same size?

I saw some custom lights from (klearz.com I think) and I thought maybe I could convince them to make this style but all of the ones I've seen from them are grid-style so that's probably the only mold they have.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Yeah, that's the only style I've seen on their website. I have the older style on my Camaro and the yellow and red parts look like they are the same dimensions. I'll try and grab some measurements when I get home from work and post them up.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Originally Posted by JamMasterClay
Ok, so since getting my Camaro a couple months ago I've decided I don't particularly like the grid style tail lights. I've made a couple crude mockups of what I want my tail lights to look light. One with chrome trim and one with red. I would want them to be like the non-grid tail lights, but without seems between the lamps. Also, I would like to switch the colors so there is red on top and orange on bottom. I would also want the lenses tinted (about 50%)

In terms of functionality, I would want LEDs. I would want them to work sequentially like the ones from spaghettiengineering.com, but want the sequence to span all three lamp housings. (Does this make sense)

Anyone have any idea how I could accomplish this? I have pretty much no experience with any fabrication... Thanks!
Not sure if you already know but there were a few different versions of the earlier taillights. One with the center left alone, one with the center section painted flat black and another that had trim in the center section (the same as where the silver is on the image below). Berlinettas had this in gold BTW.

The idea of changing it to red on top and orange on bottom is interesting, but the bucket where the bulb sits would have to be split somehow -probably would have to be rebuilt. LED's may solve this, but remember too that part of the taillight laws require that they reflect so that other cars passing by can still see it while it's parked.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM

I did see some of the ones with the trim like you mentioned. I would probably just buy a pair of those (If I could find one) but I want the trim on the bumper to match.

Looking at my lights, it looks like the lens (front part with the color) can be removed from the whole assembly fairly easily. I would just take that part off and leave the bulb housing and everything intact. The previous owner of my car chipped the tail lights on it pretty bad, so I could practice on them. I have a second set of tail lights I could put on in the meantime too.

I think tinting the lights to about 50% would allow them to still be reflective.

Last edited by claytonjn; 10-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Car: '83 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 305 with aluminum heads, voodoo cam
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 3.73 gears

yea, id say get some berlinetta lights like mine and just paint the strips that run horizontal the colors u like. heres a pic of mine:

Name:  Picture001.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  161.9 KB
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Originally Posted by vinny83
yea, id say get some berlinetta lights like mine and just paint the strips that run horizontal the colors u like. heres a pic of mine:

This exactly.

I guess they came in silver too.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Car: '83 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 305 with aluminum heads, voodoo cam
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 3.73 gears

lol yea, these are stock off my '83..
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
I would start with the non-grid style taillights, probably 2 sets will be needed. Start buy cutting out one upper orange section and one lower red section. Cut carefully with die grinder and cutoff wheel or dremel. Cut the replacement pieces from one of the other pair of taillights and epoxy them in place. Pick up a sheet of ABS plastic on Ebay, or some plexi at Lowes/Home Depot and cut your filler strip between the upper and lower lights. Use some VHT or similar tint paint to get the shade you want.

As for the LED's, there is a thread on here somewhere detailing how one guy did the conversion. It's very thorough, but I can't remember if its in the Body or the Electronics forum.
After thinking about this more, it may work for those two sections but the part where it wraps around would still be red on bottom instead or orange. Does anyone know if the coloring of the lights is from colored translucent plastic, or if it's just translucent paint? If it's just paint I could just repaint the inside but if not I think I'll have to try to find someone who could custom mold them for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

The orange lenses are molded orange plastic, but can easily be repainted with Testors Translucent Red & will look good afterwards.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM

All you did to get them to look like that is paint in inside with the Testors Translucent Red? Any clue how I could turn the red sections orange?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by JamMasterClay
All you did to get them to look like that is paint in inside with the Testors Translucent Red? Any clue how I could turn the red sections orange?

Thanks!
Those are BigBadLou's taillights. I think he painted the outside, but most just paint the inside.

You can search Testors Translucent Red here on TGO & you'll several have done (painting inside or outside), and/or you can PM him to ask what he did.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 PM

Just saw a picture of a European Camaro and the outer two sections were orange instead of red. If I could get a regular set of the non-grid style and a European set of the non-grid style it would be pretty simple...anyone know what my chances are of being able to find European non-grids? Were they even made?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Here's two more mock ups. I think I like the one that's like the Bird style with red all the way across. The other is white all of the way across, the middle white section would be back-up, and the outer three would be for turn signals. The turn signal would me more of the euro clear style but the LEDs would be orange obviously. Like I said, I prefer the bird style better.
Attached Thumbnails How to get these tail lights?-tail-lights_0002_red-white.jpg   How to get these tail lights?-tail-lights_0003_red-white-orange.jpg