Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Anyone ever do hydrostatic steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Anyone ever do hydrostatic steering?

This is for an off-road application, but I was curious if any members have played with it?

-- Joe
Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 pontiac firebird
Engine: 6.5 turbo diesel
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: Ws6 axle
Re: Anyone ever do hydrostatic steering?

Originally Posted by anesthes
This is for an off-road application, but I was curious if any members have played with it?

-- Joe
do you have any links or info to what hydro steering setup your talking about.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by 87bluebird
do you have any links or info to what hydro steering setup your talking about.
Its a purely hydraulic link between the wheel and the steering linkage. Which is primarily why its for an off-road or seriously heavy vehicle.

You have manual steering, then power assist for steering, and hydrostatic is the next step.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 pontiac firebird
Engine: 6.5 turbo diesel
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: Ws6 axle

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
Its a purely hydraulic link between the wheel and the steering linkage. Which is primarily why its for an off-road or seriously heavy vehicle.

You have manual steering, then power assist for steering, and hydrostatic is the next step.
now im confused are you talking about a hydraulic steering or hydrostatic. or hydraulic assist.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by 87bluebird
now im confused are you talking about a hydraulic steering or hydrostatic. or hydraulic assist.
Hydrostatic is what I'm talking about.

It is used on 4x4s, tractors, front end loaders, and a bunch of other types of machines. Recently I started reading on it to retrofit my front end loader, and I couldn't help but think it could be useful on a car application as well. The danfoss hydraulic steering 'box' could be mounted to the firewall, a normal GM P pump can be used, along with two steering rams and a draglink, or better yet twin cylinder.

The units turn into manual steering should the motor stall and pressure is lost, which would safely steer the car to a stop in the event the car dies.

The only thing that would be of concern is if a hydraulic line blew..

-- Joe
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by anesthes
Hydrostatic is what I'm talking about.

It is used on 4x4s, tractors, front end loaders, and a bunch of other types of machines. Recently I started reading on it to retrofit my front end loader, and I couldn't help but think it could be useful on a car application as well. The danfoss hydraulic steering 'box' could be mounted to the firewall, a normal GM P pump can be used, along with two steering rams and a draglink, or better yet twin cylinder.

The units turn into manual steering should the motor stall and pressure is lost, which would safely steer the car to a stop in the event the car dies.

The only thing that would be of concern is if a hydraulic line blew..

-- Joe
I bet the steering feedback is horrible. There is a reason why rack and pinion offers the most direct road feel.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
I bet the steering feedback is horrible. There is a reason why rack and pinion offers the most direct road feel.
Hrm.. Good question. I think you should do a little research on it. A lot of guys make the argument for both good road feedback and poor. I think a lot of it depends on sizing the correct steering ram (cylinder) with the box.

Plus, different style boxes work differently. I have a Danfoss OSPM box, which is supposed to provide feedback from opposing forces on the steering cylinders.

Rack and pinion does offer a lot of road feel, but also often makes driving the car feel like a go cart. I had a c4 corvette with performance suspension/steering and I hated the thing. Coupled with 275/40/zr17 tires, it just wasn't fun to drive on anything other than perhaps the best road-race course.

In comparison, the last ws6 thirdgen I owned had a wonderful compromise between performance sporty handling and reasonable daily driver characteristics.

Even my sisters 4th gen I built a few years ago, the rack and pinion is a bit much on anything but the smoothest road. We live in hillbilly country here

-- Joe
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get on coloradok5.com or pirate4x4.com and search their boards for hydro streering. Tons of info between thoes two sites.

The problems with it are: 1 it's illegal in most states, the road feel is usually lost (can be regained with the correct control valve), the numbers of turns required lock to lock is changed (again, juggling parts can change this), plus the steering speed can change. Some people have reported that because of the crown on most roads, you constantly have to be turning the wheel to the left to compensate. A full revolution of the steering wheel would be expected on long straight distances.

The biggest downside to full hydro on the street (in a car or truck) is if you loose a line, you loose all steering. With a mechanical system you still have control.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by toomany
Get on coloradok5.com or pirate4x4.com and search their boards for hydro streering. Tons of info between thoes two sites.

The problems with it are: 1 it's illegal in most states, the road feel is usually lost (can be regained with the correct control valve), the numbers of turns required lock to lock is changed (again, juggling parts can change this), plus the steering speed can change. Some people have reported that because of the crown on most roads, you constantly have to be turning the wheel to the left to compensate. A full revolution of the steering wheel would be expected on long straight distances.

The biggest downside to full hydro on the street (in a car or truck) is if you loose a line, you loose all steering. With a mechanical system you still have control.
True. I can't help but wonder if eventually it will become the norm for cars.

I've seen a few joystick prototypes over the years from high end car makers. Probably a matter of time.

-- Joe