Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

custom toolbox??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom toolbox??

hey guys. I was thinking about making a custom toolbox for my '92 Camaro RS 25th anniversary edition. I was planning on putting it in the trunk where it drops down behind the gas tank. i figured i could make it kinda like one of those tackle boxes where you open it up and there are several shelves stacked on top of each other until you lift it and they swing up where you can access them all. I think it's the perfect place for it and also a really interesting (and useful) project. Has anybody ever thought about doing this/done this/have any ideas? I'll post some pictures of the progress if you guys think it would be a cool idea. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: custom toolbox??

Build it like a subwoofer box, only with a hinged lid that opens & shelves that can be taken out as needed.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi

Why are you turning your Camaro into a tool box?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:21 AM

Car: 1986 firebird trans am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by racing geek
Why are you turning your Camaro into a tool box?
you never know when your car or one of your friends cars are gona break down on the side of the highway and your gona need tools to fix it.

i know my trunk is filled with tools some times iv got stuff to do an engine swap on the side of the highway in the back of my camaro. you never know what your gona need or when your gona need it
Old 11-08-2008, 05:11 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

I agree with Stephen, probably making a box with a lid would be the best bet since there is very little room for stuff that expands down there...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi

Originally Posted by zeek
I know my trunk is filled with tools some times I've got stuff to do an engine swap on the side of the highway in the back of my camaro. You never know what your going to need or when your going to need it.
Why? If you think you will need to do an engine swap while your driving down the highway, why are you driving down the highway to begin with?

In regards to the OP, if you do follow through with this, Stephen's idea seems to be the best way to approach this. But in my opinion, if you feel you need a tool box with you all the time just in case you break down you must not feel your car is very reliable, or you simply don't trust your driving skills enough to avoid things in the road. If that is the case, don't spend time making a tool box, fix up the car.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just stating my opinion which he asked for.

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

i'm with racing geek. There are only so many tools that would be useful on the side of the road, and they can fit in a small case that you can hide away under a seat or in the rear side storage compartment. Any more than that and you're starting to use your Camaro as a work truck.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 350 0.060" over

Whenever I take long trips I bring most of my tools with me, and that has saved me more than once. I've done alternators, temporary clutch cable fixes, and a number of other temp fixes to avoid a tow truck bills when I've ended up broken down.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm with jccaclimber, my thirdgen is my daily driver so when I go on long trips I bring as many tools as I can including a real jack, not that silly **** GM calls a scissor jack.... If I could have a truck, I would. And I'm not rich enough to pay tow trucks, specially when I KNOW I can fix something...
Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

Not to be a jerk about it, but there are so many autoclub memberships out there - such a AAA. The version I use costs about $100 per year and includes unlimited mileage on towing (I belive max 8 times per year) -definitely cheaper than buying specialty tools.

I agree that a certain amount of tools and spares is necessary for small roadside repairs, but if you need more than that, as stated above, the car should be fixed to be reliable.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Car: 1986 firebird trans am
Engine: 350

Why? If you think you will need to do an engine swap while your driving down the highway, why are you driving down the highway to begin with?
this is why
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Whenever I take long trips I bring most of my tools with me, and that has saved me more than once. I've done alternators, temporary clutch cable fixes, and a number of other temp fixes to avoid a tow truck bills when I've ended up broken down.
Originally Posted by HCR13
I'm with jccaclimber, my thirdgen is my daily driver so when I go on long trips I bring as many tools as I can including a real jack, not that silly **** GM calls a scissor jack.... If I could have a truck, I would. And I'm not rich enough to pay tow trucks, specially when I KNOW I can fix something...
my own personal car has never needed an engine swap on the side of the road but a friends car did need its oil pan replaced on the side of the highway once. it was easier and cheaper for him to call me and for him to call a tow truck. i went to the junkyard got an oil pan went to where he was used the tools i had so i could lift his engine up and well replaced his oil pan.

some of us in this world are not rich enough that we have a tow truck on speed dial its easier and more realistic for us to do the work our selves where the car sits where ever it happens to be broken down and besides isnt a tool box a better use for that area of the car then say a sub box ?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS Red
Engine: 305 V8 TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4

sounds cool to me at least it will put some more weight on the rear axle to keep you planted.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

How about one of those stock hinged covers, then shelves down under there? Attach make some shelf brackets (like 1" angle iron/aluminum) rails, then make trays that fit on those.

Then you don't have a box to lift in & out....

My (again)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Engine: 350 Tune port
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall

the idea of building a tool box seems pretty neat and id really like to see pics of it but why not just find a tool box that fits in that same spot and u wont have to mess with building one
Old 11-09-2008, 11:39 PM

Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Originally Posted by 87transGTA
the idea of building a tool box seems pretty neat and id really like to see pics of it but why not just find a tool box that fits in that same spot and u wont have to mess with building one
Exactly...you can get one for about $10...and an even nicer one on black Friday which is approaching soon. It's basic economics called the economies of scale. Most likely there is something out there that fits your needs that is mass produced cheaper than you have any hope of doing yourself. Take the 5+ hours you'd otherwise spend on this project and put in some working hours. You'll save time, effort and make money while you are at it. Not only will you come out ahead, but the income you just earned and will spend on other products will help to pay someone else's salary so that they too can buy tool boxes.

I think you should reconsider your whole philosophy on this though. Carrying all that weight may save a towing expense, but you are creating wear and tear on your driveline and you are using extra gas. That over time will cost you more. Also consider the following two questions: Can you afford the tools to be stolen from your car? Will the tools be locked and secured in a way not to kill yourself if you get into a wreck?

Secondly, since you are driving a car and have tools, I'm assuming you also have some sort of an income. You can't tell me that when your friend's oil pan broke that it was more economical for you to drive to the junkyard, pull an oil pan, drive out to meet him and replace the pan on the side of the highway than to call a tow truck. Even at minimum wage, the opportunity cost of doing that doesn't make financial sense. It was mentioned above that you could get 8 tows a year for $100. That's $12.50 for the tow truck to pull his car back to your house where you can do the swap in your driveway. I doubt that your gas, wear and tear on your car, and the time to drive from the junkyard to his car was worth less than that.

Thirdly, a tow truck will drop your car off anywhere you tell it to. (for example your drive way). Not only will you be allowing traffic to flow freely, you will be able to do your repair in a much safer environment. Even a non-member full price tow is not worth the at least $600,000 in future income you'll forfeit by getting yourself killed by a truck on the side of the highway.

Please read the following quote from you and really think about what you just said here... "it was easier and cheaper for him to call me"

You seem to be a much better friend than you need to be. I don't have one single friend who would do that for me...and for a good reason. Is he assuming any cost or risk by carrying around a trunk full of tools in his car in order to make free 'drop-of-the-hat' roadside repairs? Who's going to come to your rescue when you need it? Don't always try to be super man. That's something that you can not afford.

Last edited by 4mul8r; 11-09-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:52 PM

Car: 86 IROC, 90 F-250
Engine: LB9, 460
Transmission: 700R4, C6
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I think it sounds pretty cool, too many haters. Plus you can put a lock on it and put all your guns and dope in it. Moreover, tow trucks suck at towing cars that are low or have been lowered like thirdgens.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 AM

again, I think it depends. Its all in a point of view. At this point, the easiest thing would be locking hatch lid. And just keeping the tools down there. I don't normally carry around all my tools just the wrench and socket kit and a few wrenches in the "cargo" section of the hatch. I normally like to help other people that are broken down too...maybe its a Southern Hospitality thing...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM

The point of having a toolbox is that i am constantly either doing repairs to the interior of my car (it was a mess when i got it and i'm still working on it) and i need tools a lot but never have them on me. My car is reliable; that's the first thing i worked on when i got it. It's simply because i have friends who always need tools for their cars, or i'm always somewhere or doing something where tools are needed. I'm not talking about keeping all my tools in there, just enough for basic repairs. I could just buy one, but wouldn't it be more fun to make one? i have all the metal i would need. so no money wasted there. and yes, i will definitely make sure it's secure and it locks at the top so that a. nobody will steal my tools and b. they won't become projectiles if i'm in an accident. but thanks for all the advice!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Let's see..At $100/yr for a some AAA-type club membership.....I'd be out thousands of dollars! 1 tow in the last 3 years...The fuel was working at that moment....Drove it onto the flatbed wrecker, and I can't recall the last time before that, I've needed a tow truck outside of a bad wreck.

No...I'd rather carry the tools & fix it myself, than spend the $ on a tow club & possibly never need a tow.

I just MAINTAIN my car as glitches arise, before total failure occurs & requires a tow truck. Yes..Things do happen & suddenly pop up, but not enough to warrant the tow club cost.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
Let's see..At $100/yr for a some AAA-type club membership.....I'd be out thousands of dollars! 1 tow in the last 3 years...The fuel was working at that moment....Drove it onto the flatbed wrecker, and I can't recall the last time before that, I've needed a tow truck outside of a bad wreck.

No...I'd rather carry the tools & fix it myself, than spend the $ on a tow club & possibly never need a tow.

I just MAINTAIN my car as glitches arise, before total failure occurs & requires a tow truck. Yes..Things do happen & suddenly pop up, but not enough to warrant the tow club cost.

agreed. also, to the person who said just buy a toolbox, wouldn't it be better to have a toolbox which is bolted down in case of an accident or somebody breaks into my car rather than a loose one in the back of my car? i'm not trying to be defensive, but it would work well for my purposes. i was just asking for suggestions or comments on my idea. i didn't mean to start an argument.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 AM

I remember one time my car died, and it happened to be the ignition module died (it had before). Luckily I had an extra one (original GM) and I was able to replace it on the side of the road with basic tools instead of calling a tow truck...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

buy a tool box and put it in there? where have you ever seen a tool box that shape? i think its a good idea. you never know when your gonna need a few more tools then some sockets and a ratchet also keep it clean inside and build some reasonable size shelves and it could still be used for other things you dont want flopping around the trunk and if you do make it you should carpet the top of it and have it flush with the top of the hump, its all about looking good after all! and of course being the fastest
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brennan
buy a tool box and put it in there? where have you ever seen a tool box that shape? i think its a good idea. you never know when your gonna need a few more tools then some sockets and a ratchet also keep it clean inside and build some reasonable size shelves and it could still be used for other things you dont want flopping around the trunk and if you do make it you should carpet the top of it and have it flush with the top of the hump, its all about looking good after all! and of course being the fastest
good suggestion with the carpet. i looked at some toolboxes and similar containers at wal-mart today and i think i have a pretty good idea of how i'm going to make it. i'll probably start on it this weekend when i get my paycheck friday. i'll try to post pictures to show my progress.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Car: Blue 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5 WC

Originally Posted by 4mul8r
You seem to be a much better friend than you need to be. I don't have one single friend who would do that for me...and for a good reason. Is he assuming any cost or risk by carrying around a trunk full of tools in his car in order to make free 'drop-of-the-hat' roadside repairs? Who's going to come to your rescue when you need it? Don't always try to be super man. That's something that you can not afford.
If you don't have a friend that would come help you on the side of the road when your car is broke down, are they really a friend????? Just wanted to throw that out there. And i agree with whoever said "Southern Hospitality" i'm the same way. Most people will see someone with a flat and drive by laughing, i however, will stop and change their tire. Small graces go a long way. Too many people only worry about themselves and that is why society is the way it is. Most people are ungrateful and stupid (not singling anyone out on this one) but they are, and it kills me to see those idiots. sorry for the "vent" but this is one thing that just ticks me off

---------------------
And i agree with making the tool box for the trunk. if he wants to do it, then enough said, he can. but i really don't think yall shoud trash him for finding uses for completely useless parts of our cars.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

In regards to the OP, if you do follow through with this, Stephen's idea seems to be the best way to approach this. But in my opinion, if you feel you need a tool box with you all the time just in case you break down you must not feel your car is very reliable, or you simply don't trust your driving skills enough to avoid things in the road. If that is the case, don't spend time making a tool box, fix up the car.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just stating my opinion which he asked for.

Mike
I don't get it, getting an engine swap on a highway Not my stuff sorry ..