Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

home built thru the floors and 8 point roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home built thru the floors and 8 point roll bar

built this for a friend.

i took comp eng, frame tie for there formed rear rails and made them work with the stock frame rails.

i cut angle in the frame ties and plotted them out to fit in the stock rear rails.

rear section is inside the stock rails, and braced with plates in the floor area!

driver side

passenger

pic of the floor bracing
Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 AM

Re: home built thru the floors and 8 point roll bar

this being a t-top car i made the main hoop fit in the roof rail to futher stiffen the chassis.

of course the base of the cage is on plate welded to the flooring and body rails.

added plate buy the rear shocks.

to plant the rear down bars too

added plates to the front floors after repairing one side
and put the door bars right on them

for added room i put small bends in the door bars to clear the arm rest's

added the cross bar and the seat brace's
Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 AM

made some seat brackets to fit the driver
driver

passenger

after putting the main hoop braces in and welding it pu soild i painted it all black

made a custom bracket in the spare tire area to mount the battery

put the cut off in the rear tail panel

all the stock plastics fit great!

----------
and it sit's mostly out of site!

now im looking for some info on mini tubbing these cars! anyone have good pics of this being done?i may be doing this one, and another one for sure for a friend!

Last edited by Gearhead559; 10-06-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Your battery is not track legal. It needs to be inside a sealed box.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
Your battery is not track legal. It needs to be inside a sealed box.
its legal when theres a firewall built in the rear hatch area! to contain the fuel cell.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

im going to be installing a 8pt competition engineering roll cage in my 87 formula 350... looks like u did that right from wat ive seen. only diff im gona do is the front bars im going to have them bent 90 degrees at the end so i can weld the bar maybe 6" off the ground and to the main hoop so i can have maximum clearance since it will be my daily driver and i dont want getting in and out tobe a problem or a pain.

my quesiton is the frame support that u did with the comp engineering subframes... i got the same subframs and installed them through the floor but in a straight line from the front to the rear stock subframes. idk why u cut and welded it into that bend... doesnt seem like it helped in anyway. the welds and cut and welded bends would make it weaker than a straight bar.

wat welder did u use? and argon/C02 75/25%?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Originally Posted by Gearhead559
its legal when theres a firewall built in the rear hatch area! to contain the fuel cell.
I don't see a firewall in any of those pictures so until a firewall is added, it's not track legal. Your firewall will have to seal to the outer fender, not just to the plastic cover to isolate the battery from the rest of the driver's interior.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
I don't see a firewall in any of those pictures so until a firewall is added, it's not track legal. Your firewall will have to seal to the outer fender, not just to the plastic cover to isolate the battery from the rest of the driver's interior.
so does that mean its not there now? i mean did you even see the dates on the pics? the rear firewall was on him.
and to be honest, i dont see the fuel cell he is running now.
he wants me to mini tubb it now, and fox body's are cake, but the info on doing them is all over the net. so until the wheel tubbs and rear frame work is done theres no sense in it. and this car has been to the track and they said nothing to him about it even tho he has some make shift setup in it now
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by customblackbird
im going to be installing a 8pt competition engineering roll cage in my 87 formula 350... looks like u did that right from wat ive seen. only diff im gona do is the front bars im going to have them bent 90 degrees at the end so i can weld the bar maybe 6" off the ground and to the main hoop so i can have maximum clearance since it will be my daily driver and i dont want getting in and out tobe a problem or a pain.

my quesiton is the frame support that u did with the comp engineering subframes... i got the same subframs and installed them through the floor but in a straight line from the front to the rear stock subframes. idk why u cut and welded it into that bend... doesnt seem like it helped in anyway. the welds and cut and welded bends would make it weaker than a straight bar.

wat welder did u use? and argon/C02 75/25%?
the very rear of the rails are inside the factory rails. and once it come back for the mini tubb then ill be adding some more bracing to the front. but with the flooring and everything else welded to it, the car is soild. t-tops dont rattle no more, he said its a rather stiff! and i dont see how you ran them straight thru, when the frame rails dont even come close to lining up where you could lay them straight.
snap on mm140, 75/25